PDA

View Full Version : OL Appreciation

Kiwon
12-29-2009, 03:23 AM
Kudos to the O-Line for getting it together to protect A-Rod (who is also doing a better job avoiding sacks).

A-Rod was sacked 41 times in the first 9 games (actually in 8 games because Cleveland was held to zero sacks) and has been sacked just 9 times in the last 6 games.

Credit to both coaches and players for the improvement.

A real test would be playing Minnesota (14 sacks in 2 games!) and Dallas (4 sacks) again during in the playoffs. I'd love to see GB win in a third match-up with Minnesota in their house. Talk about a confidence booster!

TennesseePackerBacker
12-29-2009, 06:02 AM
Kudos to the O-Line for getting it together to protect A-Rod (who is also doing a better job avoiding sacks).

A-Rod was sacked 41 times in the first 9 games (actually in 8 games because Cleveland was held to zero sacks) and has been sacked just 9 times in the last 6 games.

Credit to both coaches and players for the improvement.

A real test would be playing Minnesota (14 sacks in 2 games!) and Dallas (4 sacks) again during in the playoffs. I'd love to see GB win in a third match-up with Minnesota in their house. Talk about a confidence booster!

Just to put it short and sweet. I feel like it's a combination of things. The culmination of McCarthy changing blocking schemes to allow A-rod more time to pass. As well as, finding the right starting line-up and having them gel in to a cohesive unit.

Sadly, I'm worried we could see a relapse in the playoffs if either of our old tackles wear down. Wells on any DT over 340 scares me as well. I'd love to know what McCarthy has up his sleeve incase any of the aforementioned happen.

For now, cheers offensive lineman! I raise my biggest beer mug to you. The Packers success in the playoffs hinges upon your performance.

denverYooper
12-29-2009, 06:03 AM
Having Cliffy @LT will cut the Vikes sack totals way down when we meet again.

CaptainKickass
12-29-2009, 09:56 AM
Kudos to the O-Line for getting it together to protect A-Rod

Ok ...it's been a while:

http://www.love2dance.ro/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/kudos_07_05_06.jpg

Yes....Kudos to the team when they play well.

Noodle
12-29-2009, 10:11 AM
Yeah, they're protecting better, but Rodgers still got hammered pretty hard by Pit until they went to the spread.

So I'm not prepared to say we've got that problem fixed yet.

rbaloha1
12-29-2009, 10:19 AM
The o-line has improved tremendously. The return of Tausher aided.

Agree about MM's playing calling -- more plays for AR to get rid of the ball (screens, slants, etc.).

The line is also creating running lanes for RG. In fact maybe Colledge has earned a new contract.

Agree the playoffs are the ultimate test for the unit.

Patler
12-29-2009, 11:25 AM
I'm not prepared to say the O-line has made any significant improvement.

In the running game, we see what we have seen the previous three years, pretty bad early in the season and better in the second half of the season. At this point, nothing leads me to believe they have turned any corners.

The pass protection is still bad. Sacks are down because the play calling and Rodgers are better compensating for the poor protection. Tauscher is better than Barbre, but isn't the Tauscher of old. Rodgers gets hit much too often, and seems to take at least one awful hit almost every game. Rarely does he have an opportunity to sit back, scan the field and make a throw without worry. He is pressured on most throws that take any time at all.

I think it is a tremendous credit to Rodgers that he is doing as well as he is when it is very clear that he can not relax in the pocket.

Smidgeon
12-29-2009, 11:37 AM
I'm not prepared to say the O-line has made any significant improvement.

In the running game, we see what we have seen the previous three years, pretty bad early in the season and better in the second half of the season. At this point, nothing leads me to believe they have turned any corners.

The pass protection is still bad. Sacks are down because the play calling and Rodgers are better compensating for the poor protection. Tauscher is better than Barbre, but isn't the Tauscher of old. Rodgers gets hit much too often, and seems to take at least one awful hit almost every game. Rarely does he have an opportunity to sit back, scan the field and make a throw without worry. He is pressured on most throws that take any time at all.

I think it is a tremendous credit to Rodgers that he is doing as well as he is when it is very clear that he can not relax in the pocket.

I agree. I'm not quite as quick to jump on the "O-Line is Fixed" bandwagon. Granted, I'm not an expert, but there's no domination by the O-Line, just apparent mitigation of their struggles by AR. If I'm Campen, I'd still be sweating (if he has anhidrosis, I'll cut him some slack). The O-Line's only getting older, and that isn't good in two of the three best players on the line (Sitton being the good one).

bobblehead
12-29-2009, 01:01 PM
The OL isn't "fixed" per se, but I would argue that having Tausch instead of Babre makes it an entirely different line than the one that played the first 8 games. Babre was more of a turnstile than I have ever seen keep a job for that long. EVER!!!