PDA

View Full Version : Week 17 outcomes effect on where Packer Playoffs played

CaliforniaCheez
12-29-2009, 12:24 PM
Because the Giants-vikings game is earlier on Sunday I started with that game and worked on the scenarios for playoff positioning.
Note I did not take all the time to look at the possible common games tiebreakers.

1) If Giants, Eagles, and Packers win; Packers play at Cardinals again

Saints
Eagles
vikings
Cardinals
Packers
Cowboys

2) If Giants, Eagles, and Cardinals win; Packers play at vikings

Saints
Eagles
Cardinals
Vikings
Packers
Cowboys

3) If Giants, Cowboys, and Packers win; Packers play at Vikings

Saints
Cowboys
Vikings
Cardinals
Eagles
Packers

4) If Giants, Cowboys and Cardinals win; Packers play at vikings

Saints
Cowboys
Cardinals
vikings
Eagles
Packers

5) If vikings, Eagles, and Packers win; Packers play at Cardinals
Saints
Eagles
vikings
Cardinals
Packers
Cowboys

6) If vikings, Eagles, and Cardinals win; Packers play at Cardinals
Saints
Eagles
vikings
Arizona
Packers
Cowboys

7) If vikings, Cowboys, and Packers win; Packers play at Cowboys

Saints
vikings
Cowboys
Cardinals
Eagles
Packers

8) If vikings, Cowboys, and Cardinals win; Packers play at Cowboys

Saints
vikings
Cowboys
Cardinals
Eagles
Packers

In my opinion, There is a very good chance the vikings get knocked out before the Packers face them again.

mngolf19
12-29-2009, 12:28 PM
Cheez, since all of these scenarios have the Vikes playing at home in first game, I would expect it to be up to the Packers to decide if they play each other again. Vikes should win any of those matchups at home. Road is another story.

CaliforniaCheez
12-29-2009, 12:38 PM
It is a Bill Clinton type line. It has different meanings and can still be true more than one way. It is meant to be read carefully.

mngolf19
12-29-2009, 12:44 PM
It is a Bill Clinton type line. It has different meanings and can still be true more than one way. It is meant to be read carefully.

Very sagacious of you.

HarveyWallbangers
12-29-2009, 12:47 PM
In scenarios 7 and 8, wouldn't the Packers play at Dallas?

vince
12-29-2009, 03:16 PM
CalCheez, that doesn't agree with what ESPN has listed, which doesn't make theirs right of course. Can you clarify the discrepancies?

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/15207/every-nfc-playoff-scenario-for-week-17

They have the Packers and Eagles flip-flopped in scenarios 3, 7 and 8, which changes things significantly. It would come down to conference record for the tie-breaker correct? What does a GB win combined with a Philly loss do to each team's conference record?

vince
12-29-2009, 04:05 PM
According to http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/playoffscenario
....winners
1. Giants, Eagles, Packers - Pack plays Cards
2. Giants, Eagles, Cardinals - Pack plays Cowboys
3. Giants, Cowboys, Packers - Pack plays Cards
4. Giants, Cowboys, Cardinals - Pack plays Vikes
5. Vikings, ... All scenarios in which the Vikings win have the Pack facing the Cards in the first round.

steve823
12-29-2009, 04:06 PM
There's only one scenario that the Packers would play the Vikings Cards win)

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/playoffscenario?cp=101#comments

Use that site and plug everything in that's what I'm doing.

gbgary
12-29-2009, 07:48 PM
just so philly and Green Bay win this weekend. don't care about the rest. then...minn beats dallas and gets philly in the cold...and we beat arizona again and get no in a warm dome. philly beats minn, we beat no and then get revenge over philly. i've got it all figured out. lol

ND72
12-29-2009, 08:48 PM
Here is what I want...Philly to win, Minny to lose, adn GB to lose....so we play @ Minny next weekend. I want it. I don't even care, I just want it.

ND72
12-29-2009, 08:50 PM
....winners
5. Vikings, ... All scenarios in which the Vikings win have the Pack facing the Cards in the first round.

you're second scenerio can't work...if Philly wins, Dallas is a wildcard, which means we wouldn't be able to play them. JSO & ESPN have if Philly wins, Minny loses, and we lose, we play Minny round 1.

Guiness
12-29-2009, 09:02 PM
Is it that mixed up that there are 3 or 4 different opinions? Do we have a consensus on scenarios here?

For those of you saying you'd like to play Minny again week 1...wow, that's the LAST scenario I'd want. Too charged, too many variables. I'm a Packer's fan, but damn I'm scared of Brett Favre. No way on God's Green Earth do I trust him to roll over, or even play a normal to good game. I absolutely fear that he plays out of this world against us.

It's just too charged a situation. He is an incredibly emotional player. That can work against him, but if it works for him, watch out.

HowardRoark
12-29-2009, 09:10 PM
Is it that mixed up that there are 3 or 4 different opinions? Do we have a consensus on scenarios here?

For those of you saying you'd like to play Minny again week 1...wow, that's the LAST scenario I'd want. Too charged, too many variables. I'm a Packer's fan, but damn I'm scared of Brett Favre. No way on God's Green Earth do I trust him to roll over, or even play a normal to good game. I absolutely fear that he plays out of this world against us.

It's just too charged a situation. He is an incredibly emotional player. That can work against him, but if it works for him, watch out.

I have been saying the same thing all day. The guy plays his best against us.....let someone else beat them.

BZnDallas
12-29-2009, 10:35 PM
I want Dallas in round 1!! Then maybe i can go see Jerry World for the first time!!... and after we beat the cowbitches i'd like to play the vikings in round 2... nothing would be sweeter than to kick the TR4ITOR out of the playoffs... after that i dont care who we beat to get to the super bowl... lol... thats my dream senario anyway... but thats just one mans opinion...

Guiness
12-29-2009, 10:42 PM

I have been saying the same thing all day. The guy plays his best against us.....let someone else beat them.

That sums up my feelings.

Who here trusts BF to NOT throw 5 TDs against us? Don't trust him, and would rather be in control of our own destiny.

channtheman
12-29-2009, 10:46 PM
I was under the impression if the Packers win they play at AZ again, no matter what else happens.

HarveyWallbangers
12-29-2009, 11:07 PM

That sums up my feelings.

Who here trusts BF to NOT throw 5 TDs against us? Don't trust him, and would rather be in control of our own destiny.

Part of me thinks this also, but the other part of me says that we played Minnesota when we didn't have our OL settled, we had injury problems, and our defense wasn't playing lights out. Since the second Minnesota game, we've really only had one bad game defensively--at Pittsburgh when their season was on the line. Remember that Clifton missed most of both games, Tauscher didn't play, Bigby missed the first game, Barnett and Raji were still struggling with their injuries a bit, Matthews wasn't even a full-time player in the first game, Nelson and Finley both missed the second game.

vince
12-30-2009, 04:29 AM
....winners

you're second scenerio can't work...if Philly wins, Dallas is a wildcard, which means we wouldn't be able to play them. JSO & ESPN have if Philly wins, Minny loses, and we lose, we play Minny round 1.
Oops. Sorry about adding to the confusion. I switched up the 2 and 4 scenarios. Here's the definitive list - at least the one I've seen most often.

....winners
2. Giants, Eagles, Cardinals - Pack plays Vikes
4. Giants, Cowboys, Cardinals - Pack plays Cowboys

I say bring on the Vikes if that's how it plays out. Regardless, as much as I'd like to see the Packers get to 11-5 and Rodgers break Dickey's single season passing yards record, the most important thing to achieving the ultimate goal in this week's game by far is avoiding injuries to key players.

I'm an advocate for both resting our starters after getting them some reps to maintain their sharpness, game speed, rhythm, timing, etc. and throwing some exotic looks at the Cardinals to give them (or MN/DAL) more to think about for the game that really counts at this point.

vince
12-30-2009, 05:02 AM
I was under the impression if the Packers win they play at AZ again, no matter what else happens.
Yes I think that's right Chan, according to Yahoo and ESPN, but it's also true (and more pertinent) that if the Vikings win - and they play the early game - the Packers will play at AZ again no matter what else happens. So while the Vikings and Packers must both lose for the Packers to play anyone but AZ in the first round, it's really the Vikings game early that will first possibly determine things.

Then, IF the Vikings lose in the noon game, it's not a stretch to see the Packers lose their late game, as the Cards will be playing for a possible bye, while the Packers will likely be focused on staying as healthy as possible.

CaliforniaCheez
12-30-2009, 05:19 AM
Jeepers there is conflicting information out there. It took time just going through it one time. I don't have time to verify everyone.

Again, I did not spend the long time looking at the common games scenarios. The answers to how the Packers can finish ahead of the Eagles must be there.

Remember the easy tiebreakers:

Packers have the tiebreaker with Dallas (head to head)

Cardinals have the tiebreaker over the Vikings (head to head)

The Eagles have tiebreakers over Vikings and Packers.

Eagles are ahead of Cardinals if they tie due to Strength of Victory which is not final (but a gap of .04 even when affected by all games is a lot).

My original goal was to come up with a cheering guide for who Packer fans should want to win. Other than the Packers (and even that doesn't matter too much) the others don't matter too much. They are all road games in the playoffs.

How do you view the matchups?
The vikings look easy to beat.
McCarthy doesn't seem to do as good a job getting the team ready for the cold so avoiding the Eagles is better.
Warner is good and could make it a high scoring game, The Packers have won when giving up over 30 points. (Same with Saints)
I like their chance against the Cowboys

I prefer a Packer win and playing the Cowboys and/or vikings; however that comes about.

pack4to84
12-30-2009, 05:19 AM
# Head-to-head, if applicable.
# Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
# Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.

If the Packers win. The Packers can only play ARZ in the first round. Packers win and Eagle lose Packers win tie breakers with Eagles for the 5th seed.
Packers and Eagles would have the same conference record 9-3. Next tie breaker is common games.
Packers-Eagles common games
1-0 Dallas 0-2
0-1 Tampa 1-0
2-0 Chicago 1-0
1-0 49ers 1-0
Packers 4-1 Eagles 3-2

So to recap if Packers win they are guarantee the 5th seed.

pack4to84
12-30-2009, 05:56 AM
This what I am voting for NYG,Dallas,GB. Eagles play Vikings, Packers play ARZ. So if the Packers and Eagles win. Packers play Dallas, Eagles play Saints. Packers and Eagles win again. Packers would host the Eagles.

pack4to84
01-01-2010, 06:59 AM
http://i46.tinypic.com/33jimnb.jpg

pbmax
01-01-2010, 09:33 AM
Slightly off topic, but here is an AFC playoff scenario image (its a bit long as you can well imagine):

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/8862/afcplayoffs.png

:lol:

Fritz
01-01-2010, 11:02 AM
All the speculation is based on the Vikings' losing to the Giants on Sunday. And I just don't think that will happen. There's too much on the line for the Vikes, and the Giants - with everything on the line last Sunday - looked like they were playing in a Vicadin haze. Man, did they look bad.

I think Coughlin will beat the shit out of them this week and in the end the Vikes will just have too much for the Giants to handle.

This means - I think - that the Pack would most likely then play Arizona. Right?

swede
01-01-2010, 11:16 AM
If the Giants D Line abuses the Vikes O-line and puts F**** on his ass, Chilly may be forced to consider pulling his problematic Assistant to the Head Coach.

Last week's meltdown by the G-men is tough to figure, though. Maybe they no longer give a crap. Maybe playing for pride motivates better than the playoffs. I'll bet you can predict the outcome of that game within the first five minutes. Given these crazy post-season scenarios and the desire to protect star players some of these games will be titanic struggles for survival and others (like ours and the Vikes) will be a race to see which team will concede and give up first in order to protect key players.

denverYooper
01-01-2010, 12:04 PM
If the Giants D Line abuses the Vikes O-line and puts F**** on his ass, Chilly may be forced to consider pulling his problematic Assistant to the Head Coach.

Last week's meltdown by the G-men is tough to figure, though. Maybe they no longer give a crap. Maybe playing for pride motivates better than the playoffs. I'll bet you can predict the outcome of that game within the first five minutes. Given these crazy post-season scenarios and the desire to protect star players some of these games will be titanic struggles for survival and others (like ours and the Vikes) will be a race to see which team will concede and give up first in order to protect key players.

I don't know if it was a meltdown so much as Carolina coming on pretty strong late in the season. They sure have looked good with Moore in at QB. They beat Minny and the Giants in successive weeks and they're playing some very good football right now.

NYG's secondary is decimated, and their D looks pretty disorganized so I expect the Vikings to have a decent day on offense. Of course, the same could have been said about Chicago before last Monday.

ThunderDan
01-01-2010, 01:28 PM

I don't know if it was a meltdown so much as Carolina coming on pretty strong late in the season. They sure have looked good with Moore in at QB. They beat Minny and the Giants in successive weeks and they're playing some very good football right now.

NYG's secondary is decimated, and their D looks pretty disorganized so I expect the Vikings to have a decent day on offense. Of course, the same could have been said about Chicago before last Monday.

Hey NYG has Rouse back there.

channtheman
01-01-2010, 02:01 PM
I'm rooting for a Packer win, an Eagle win and a Viking loss this weekend. I want to have the Packers play AZ in the wild card round and I want Dallas to go to Minnesota and take the Vikings out of the playoffs. I do not want to play the Vikings.

My dream scenario would then be that the Packers take out the Eagles, and the Cowboys beat the Saints again. Then the Cowboys would come BACK to Lambeau for the Championship game.

gbgary
01-01-2010, 09:21 PM
I'm rooting for a Packer win, an Eagle win and a Viking loss this weekend. I want to have the Packers play AZ in the wild card round and I want Dallas to go to Minnesota and take the Vikings out of the playoffs. I do not want to play the Vikings.

My dream scenario would then be that the Packers take out the Eagles, and the Cowboys beat the Saints again. Then the Cowboys would come BACK to Lambeau for the Championship game.

if we win and philly wins it doesn't matter about minn...minn plays dallas no matter what. but if we throw the game and either philly or ny win than all bets are off.

Fritz
01-02-2010, 11:10 PM
No matter who the Packers play, it's the playoffs and it will be tough.