PDA

View Full Version : Pro Bowl Predictions

Smidgeon
12-29-2009, 01:23 PM
Pro Bowl voting results and rosters are released today. Of the Packers team, who do you think is on the roster and who isn't because of overzealous Viking fans stuffing the ballot box but deserves to be?

My predictions:

Aaron Rodgers
Charles Woodson
Nick Collins

Deserves to be but won't make it:

Ryan Grant
Johnny Jolly
Clay Matthews

vince
12-29-2009, 02:42 PM
I agree with that Smidgeon, except that I'm not sure Grant deserves to be in necessarily.

Barnett and Sitton have also had very good years, but I doubt they'll get much love, along with Jolly...

HarveyWallbangers
12-29-2009, 02:44 PM
Pro Bowl voting results and rosters are released today. Of the Packers team, who do you think is on the roster and who isn't because of overzealous Viking fans stuffing the ballot box but deserves to be?

My predictions:

Aaron Rodgers
Charles Woodson
Nick Collins

Ryan Grant
Johnny Jolly
Clay Matthews

I tend to agree--although I think Jenkins has been our best DL. Barnett has also played very well this year also.

mraynrand
12-29-2009, 02:47 PM
If Finley hadn't missed games, he'd be in there instead of Shank-o or Witten.

Smidgeon
12-29-2009, 03:14 PM
I agree with that Smidgeon, except that I'm not sure Grant deserves to be in necessarily.

Barnett and Sitton have also had very good years, but I doubt they'll get much love, along with Jolly...

Ryan Grant is 3rd in the NFC in rushing yards, trailing AP and Steven Jackson, 2nd in the NFC (for RBs) in TDs trailing AP, and leads the NFC in attempts per fumble at 271 without a fumble. The next best is Cadillac Williams at 191 without a fumble.

EDIT: And I agree that Finley would be a "should get in" if he'd played the entire year. As it is, there are too many with year long stats better than his.

Smidgeon
12-29-2009, 03:18 PM
If Finley hadn't missed games, he'd be in there instead of Shank-o or Witten.

Although he hasn't scored many TDs (okay, only 1), Witten far and away leads the NFC TE pack in total yards.

mngolf19
12-29-2009, 03:21 PM

My predictions:

Aaron Rodgers
Charles Woodson
Nick Collins

Ryan Grant
Johnny Jolly
Clay Matthews

I agree with your selections but you do know that fan vote is only 1/3 of the selection criteria. So fans have limited affect.

vince
12-29-2009, 03:31 PM

Ryan Grant is 3rd in the NFC in rushing yards, trailing AP and Steven Jackson, 2nd in the NFC (for RBs) in TDs trailing AP, and leads the NFC in attempts per fumble at 271 without a fumble. The next best is Cadillac Williams at 191 without a fumble.

EDIT: And I agree that Finley would be a "should get in" if he'd played the entire year. As it is, there are too many with year long stats better than his.
He's come on the second half, and I wouldn't put up a strenuous argument against him, but he's still only 12th in the NFC (among rushers with more than 100 carries) in yds./carry, which is a better barometer of productivity and effectiveness. I like Grant and think he fits our running scheme very well. Deangelo Williams and Michael Turner might get some love before Grant, just because they are more of a focal point of their respective offenses.

That's all I got.

Smidgeon
12-29-2009, 03:37 PM

He's come on the second half, and I wouldn't put up a strenuous argument against him, but he's still only 12th in the NFC (among rushers with more than 100 carries) in yds./carry, which is a better barometer of productivity and effectiveness. I like Grant and think he fits our running scheme very well. Deangelo Williams and Michael Turner might get some love before Grant, just because they are more of a focal point of their respective offenses.

That's all I got.

I get you. That's why I put him in the "Deserves but won't get it" category.

Smidgeon
12-29-2009, 03:52 PM

My predictions:

Aaron Rodgers
Charles Woodson
Nick Collins

Ryan Grant
Johnny Jolly
Clay Matthews

I agree with your selections but you do know that fan vote is only 1/3 of the selection criteria. So fans have limited affect.

Fan vote is only a third, but that third can be huge. If one player has even a mediocre lead over another, that lead can be completely negated by the fan vote. A player can actually have 73% (math below) of the coach and player vote and still lose his spot in the probowl if the fan third votes for the next guy. Of course that's an extreme example, but it's used to mathematically demonstrate that the fan vote can't be ignored as "limited".

How do fans, most of which who are uneducated about the intricacies of the game (myself included), be given the same weight as regulated voting among coaches and players?

And if fan voting was so limited, how did the Cowboys get 10 in the pro bowl the year they were one and done in the playoffs and the Pack went to the NFC championship with two (I think--might've been 3) pro bowlers?

x = fan vote portion = .33
y = necessary portion to get into probowl (majority rule) = .51
z = combined coach/player votes = .67
? = minimum overall weight necessary for majority if x = maximum
* = portion of coach/player votes possible going to a losing candidate
# = % of votes a player can receive from coaches and players and still lose the overall vote because of fans' overzealousness

x + ? = y
.33 + ? = .51
? = .51 - .33
? = .18

* = z - ?
* = .67 - .18
* = .49

# = * / z
# = .49 / .67
# = .731

73%

mngolf19
12-29-2009, 04:02 PM
And if fan voting was so limited, how did the Cowboys get 10 in the pro bowl the year they were one and done in the playoffs and the Pack went to the NFC championship with two (I think--might've been 3) pro bowlers?

Because players and coaches vote on things like popularity, earned it over their career, etc. And because the games still have to be played despite what it says on paper.

Smidgeon
12-29-2009, 04:16 PM

Because players and coaches vote on things like popularity, earned it over their career, etc. And because the games still have to be played despite what it says on paper.

Sorry. The Cowboys had 13 that year, not 10. And no, 13 probowlers one and done isn't "strong on paper". That's after almost a year of playing. Thirteen probowlers (an NFL record for as long as there has been a probowl) means that should be the best team of all time since it was accomplished during the time the NFL had the most teams and thus should be harder for a team to dominate the probowl.

As for your other point, I read an article recently detailing how players and coaches vote. I've just spent some time looking for the article and can't find it, but the process isn't like what fans go through. The players don't just have an empty ballot to fill. They're limited more to the players in their own conference or the teams they've played (don't remember which or if it was one of those, but it was something like that), so they vote for players they're familiar with. I'm also pretty sure the offense votes for defensive players and the defense votes for offensive players. The coaching and player portion is designed to eliminate as much "popular" voting amongst them as possible and let the true "best" rise to the top. You can't eliminate the popularity portion of it completely, but the NFL has those two portions designed to mitigate it as much as possible. The fan portion screws it all up.

Smidgeon
12-29-2009, 04:21 PM
Just read an article posted last December (below) that say each organization does pro bowl voting differently. So maybe what I read was only how the Packers do it.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/ross_tucker/12/17/tucks-takes/index.html

mngolf19
12-29-2009, 04:22 PM

Sorry. The Cowboys had 13 that year, not 10. And no, 13 probowlers one and done isn't "strong on paper". That's after almost a year of playing. Thirteen probowlers (an NFL record for as long as there has been a probowl) means that should be the best team of all time since it was accomplished during the time the NFL had the most teams and thus should be harder for a team to dominate the probowl.

As for your other point, I read an article recently detailing how players and coaches vote. I've just spent some time looking for the article and can't find it, but the process isn't like what fans go through. The players don't just have an empty ballot to fill. They're limited more to the players in their own conference or the teams they've played (don't remember which or if it was one of those, but it was something like that), so they vote for players they're familiar with. I'm also pretty sure the offense votes for defensive players and the defense votes for offensive players. The coaching and player portion is designed to eliminate as much "popular" voting amongst them as possible and let the true "best" rise to the top. You can't eliminate the popularity portion of it completely, but the NFL has those two portions designed to mitigate it as much as possible. The fan portion screws it all up.

But I keep hearing, and somehwat agree, that the Pack have the most fans around. So why wouldn't that have worked out over the years? Certainly more than the Vikes.

Smidgeon
12-29-2009, 04:25 PM
Another story from last December:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/the-politics-of-the-pro-bowl-vote.html&startrow=36

Smidgeon
12-29-2009, 04:33 PM
But I keep hearing, and somehwat agree, that the Pack have the most fans around. So why wouldn't that have worked out over the years? Certainly more than the Vikes.

I don't know how to answer that one. It could be for a variety of reasons. Maybe there are more GB fans, but they aren't as tenacious as Philly's or Dallas's fans. Maybe GB fans are so used to success that they don't overreact when their team is having an outstanding season (like Dallas two years ago and the Vikings this year). Maybe it's because GB is a small market team. I don't know the reason, but even the best teams don't deserve to have 10-13 players in the probowl.

At last count, two weeks ago, the Vikings led the NFC in 11 of the 19 positions and led the NFL in 7 of 19 positions. That isn't calculated voting based on who a fan thinks is the best player at a position. That's blind adulation for a fan's favorite team.

EDIT: And I would say the same thing if that many Packers got in. I think only the worthy should get in, and I for one can still enjoy it when a Packer gets voted in because the fanbase isn't swarming the ballot box. When a Packer gets in, I can take fan pride in that fact that he gets in because others around the country thinks he's worth it and not just the Green Bay fans.

BallHawk
12-29-2009, 06:05 PM
My predictions:

Aaron Rodgers
Charles Woodson
Nick Collins

Nailed it.

http://www.nfl.com/probowl/story?id=09000d5d8155c2fa&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

BF4MVP
12-29-2009, 06:20 PM
My predictions:

Aaron Rodgers
Charles Woodson
Nick Collins

Nailed it.

http://www.nfl.com/probowl/story?id=09000d5d8155c2fa&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true
Awesome! :D I was afraid they'd put Warner in there based on reputation or something even though Rodgers is clearly more deserving. Good for him! Collins wasn't getting as much pub as he did last year (probably because he didn't have the TDs he had last year) but he deserved it too..Everyone knew Woodson would go...Everyone on this team who deserved to go got voted in, IMO. And that doesn't happen often.

packer4life
12-29-2009, 06:21 PM
cushing, orakpo, and byrd...three rookies getting love over my boy matthews :(

would be odd if matthews gets def ROY yet misses pro bowl and his 3 competitors make pro bowl.

packers11
12-29-2009, 06:27 PM
guess we won't be watching Rodgers / Woodson / and Collins in the probowl this year :wink:

arcilite
12-29-2009, 06:53 PM
guess we won't be watching Rodgers / Woodson / and Collins in the probowl this year :wink:

i see what you did there

Lurker64
12-29-2009, 06:58 PM
Wow, McKinnie and Peters are the starting OTs for the NFC? Is there just a lack of good OTs in the NFC, or did the voters screw up?

Lurker64
12-29-2009, 07:15 PM
Apparently the Packer Pro Bowl alternates are: Clay Matthews, Chad Clifton, Ryan Grant and A.J. Hawk.

Bretsky
12-29-2009, 07:25 PM

My predictions:

Aaron Rodgers
Charles Woodson
Nick Collins

Ryan Grant
Johnny Jolly
Clay Matthews

Just got home from work and honestly have not looked to see who made it yet. Regarding your list, I don't think Grant deserves to be in. I do think Rodgers, Woodsen, and Collins deserve it...but have a feeling Rodgers gets snubbed. May end up playing there after some of the vets decline. Jolly has been solid but not sure he's Pro Bowl Calibur yet. Harris was having another season worth consideration until he got hurt. I'd have to look at Matthews stats vs the others to say he's worth considering; I think he's there calibur wise and I do think he'll be there in the future...should be the ROY backup behind Cushing.

mission
12-29-2009, 07:27 PM
Apparently the Packer Pro Bowl alternates are: Clay Matthews, Chad Clifton, Ryan Grant and A.J. Hawk.

Nice, good for those guys! Kinda feel Clay got snubbed a bit, but he's a rookie and if we're lucky, we end up with a 12 year fan-favorite pro bowler (genes duh!).

It's 'feel good' for AJ Hawk though. I don't care what you've said, there shouldn't be a Packer fan not happy to see Hawk get legit PB consideration.

Bretsky
12-29-2009, 07:28 PM
cushing, orakpo, and byrd...three rookies getting love over my boy matthews :(

would be odd if matthews gets def ROY yet misses pro bowl and his 3 competitors make pro bowl.

I think Matthews is better than Orakpo. Cushing is very deserving of ROY though

Bretsky
12-29-2009, 07:31 PM
Good for Darren Sharper as well

Smidgeon
12-29-2009, 07:32 PM
My predictions:

Aaron Rodgers
Charles Woodson
Nick Collins

Nailed it.

Sweet!

Smidgeon
12-29-2009, 07:34 PM
So anyone know why Hawk made alternate instead of Barnett? (Is that a stupid question?)

HarveyWallbangers
12-29-2009, 07:43 PM
The OL are sometimes laughable. McKinnie is solid, but has been overrated most of his career. I've heard that Hutchinson has dropped off this year, but a lot of OL hang onto the Pro Bowl votes at the end of their careers on name only. I can't really argue with any of the other Packer or Viking selections. We have some guys that are playing near Pro Bowl level though--Grant, Sitton, Jennings, Finley, Jenkins, Barnett, Matthews.

Kind of head scratching that Orakpo makes it over Matthews.

Orakpo
Team Record: 4-11
Defensive Ranks: Points allowed: 16th, Yards allowed: 11th
48 tackles, 11 sacks, 4 stuffs, 1 forc. fumble, 0 fum. rec., 2 PDs

Matthews
Team Record: 10-5
Defensive Ranks: Points allowed: 9th, Yards allowed: 2nd
50 tackles, 10 sacks, 8 stuffs, 1 forc. fum., 3 fum. rec., 5 PDs

Carucci had Matthews in and Orakpo out.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8155a051&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Bretsky
12-29-2009, 08:14 PM
The OL are sometimes laughable. McKinnie is solid, but has been overrated most of his career. I've heard that Hutchinson has dropped off this year, but a lot of OL hang onto the Pro Bowl votes at the end of their careers on name only. I can't really argue with any of the other Packer or Viking selections. We have some guys that are playing near Pro Bowl level though--Grant, Sitton, Jennings, Finley, Jenkins, Barnett, Matthews.

Orakpo

Matthews

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8155a051&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

I don't get it either; on NFL Radio they often hype Orakpo and called Matthews an unknown sleeper. Matthews is better; don't get it.

You really think Sitton is playing that well ?

mission
12-29-2009, 08:20 PM
I think Hawk got the nod over Barnett because he's been around the football a little bit more as far as TO's ...

Orakpo

Matthews

I don't get it either; on NFL Radio they often hype Orakpo and called Matthews an unknown sleeper. Matthews is better; don't get it.

You really think Sitton is playing that well ?

That website (cant think of the name) that rates players based on all sorts of stats has Sitton as the 4th or 5th best guard in the league. He's had very few "losses" in 1-on-1 situations this year compared to his competition.