PDA

View Full Version : Jeremy Thompson to IR

packers11
12-30-2009, 10:35 AM
www.rotoworld.com

Packers placed OLB Jeremy Thompson (neck) on injured reserve, ending his season.

Thompson's NFL career has been marred by injuries and specifically problems with his neck. The 2008 fourth-round pick needs to get healthy, but he is under contract through 2011.

get louder at lambeau
12-30-2009, 11:12 AM
And they have filled his roster spot with NT Toribio from the Practice Squad.

mraynrand
12-30-2009, 12:08 PM
I can't link to that at work. Doesn't he have some stenosis? I know it's been discussed before, but what is the current thinking on whether this is career threatening? (Not that it matters much to the Packers - JT mostly look like Tarzan play like Jane - but it matters to JT!)

wist43
12-30-2009, 02:02 PM
Hopefully he can land with a 4-3 team somewhere next year... like Kampman, he's a 4-3 DE. For us this year, strictly a special teamer.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the defense began to look more like a prototypical 3-4, and began to function better as a whole after Kampman went down.

Body type, and athleticism matter when you're talking about the differences between 4-3 personnel and 3-4 personnel.

Smidgeon
12-30-2009, 02:05 PM
Hopefully he can land with a 4-3 team somewhere next year... like Kampman, he's a 4-3 DE. For us this year, strictly a special teamer.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the defense began to look more like a prototypical 3-4, and began to function better as a whole after Kampman went down.

Body type, and athleticism matter when you're talking about the differences between 4-3 personnel and 3-4 personnel.

I thought JT had the body type and athleticism like the other JT who was defensive player of the year when he switched to 3-4 for that year. But unlike the Dolphin's JT, the Packer's JT has yet to figure it out between the ears. I thought that was his problem instead of body type and athleticism.

Lurker64
12-30-2009, 02:24 PM
You could really see this coming for a while, I'm surprised it didn't happen earlier.

I really disagree with Wist about how Thompson's problem is that he's not cut out to be a 3-4 player. Actually, Thompson is very nearly a Jason Taylor clone in terms of his athletic ability, and Taylor didn't have any trouble at OLB. Thompson's problem is that he's not much of a football player. He's the sort of guy who will always look better in shorts than pads. I want to see if in two years Greene can light a fire under him, but otherwise I wouldn't be sad about letting him go.

Patler
12-30-2009, 04:09 PM
I have always been a little intrigued by Jeremy Thompson. Before the draft, some felt he would be a better 3-4 linebacker, others thought a 4-3 defensive end. Very intelligent kid. Like Hawk, perhaps too conscientious about his responsibilities. Coaches said he needed to trust his instincts more and be less analytical. Very gifted athlete for his size. Hairston said last year that Thompson just needed to let himself go, because he had all the tools and knew what to do.

May never turn out as a player for health or performance reasons, but an interesting prospect nevertheless.

wist43
12-30-2009, 04:41 PM
He simply doesn't have the foot speed and athleticism... neither does Kampman. Both are best suited to a 4-3, and both will be playing for 4-3 teams next year... really, I don't think that is an earth shattering observation.

I can't begin to fathom what you guys are looking at???

Does Jones look more fluid and natural at the position than Kampman??? Of course he does... you guys determined to try to defend this turf, but give it up would ya... we have an entire season of evidence that says you're wrong.

HarveyWallbangers
12-30-2009, 04:45 PM
He simply doesn't have the foot speed and athleticism... neither does Kampman. Both are best suited to a 4-3, and both will be playing for 4-3 teams next year... really, I don't think that is an earth shattering observation.

Does Jones look more fluid and natural at the position than Kampman??? Of course he does... you guys determined to try to defend this turf, but give it up would ya... we have an entire season of evidence that says you're wrong.

Kampman was about the only guy you were right about.
:D

Were you one of those that said Barnett wouldn't be any good in this defense, most of our DL didn't fit the scheme, and our corners were fish out of water playing more zone coverage?

sharpe1027
12-30-2009, 04:56 PM

Come on Wist, you thought the entire D was going to be miscast and a failure and all you can come up with is one player that frankly wasn't playing that bad until he got hurt?

Sure you can say that Jones is playing arguably better than Kampman did. Still, Kampman was nowhere near as bad as you predicted. Unless your analysis is based entire upon who "looks" more fluid.

Lurker64
12-30-2009, 05:11 PM
He simply doesn't have the foot speed and athleticism...

Jeremy Thompson: (6-5 264)
40 yard dash: 4.75
20 yard split: 2.69
10 yard split: 1.53
Vert: 32.0"
Broad: 9' 9"
3-Cone: 6.97
Short Shuttle: 4.23

He was top 10 in all of the speed and agility tests among all defensive linemen in the draft, and the only other two guys to place top 10 in all of those tests ended up getting drafted in the first round to play outside linebacker. Foot speed and athleticism is not his problem. Instincts and aggressiveness is his problem.

Certainly he's not as quick or as fast as Jones or Matthews, but he's not exactly glacial:

Jones: (6-3 232)
40 yard dash: 4.54
20 yard split: 2.56
10 yard split: 1.59
Vert: 33.0"
Broad: 9' 11"
3-cone: 6.75
Short Shuttle: 4.21

Matthews: (6-3 240)
40 yard dash: 4.62
20 yard split: 2.68
10 yard split: 1.49
Vert: 35.5"
Broad: 10' 1"
3-Cone: 6.90
Short Shuttle: 4.18

Adding in our other young OLBs:

Poppinga: (6-3 259)
40 yard Dash: 4.59
20 yard split: 2.70
10 yard split: 1.64
Vert: 35.5"
Broad: 9'2"
3-Cone: 7.29
Short Shuttle: 4.39

Obiozor: (6-4, 270)
40 yard dash: 4.72
20 yard split: 2.72
10 yard split: 1.59
Vert: 39.5"
Broad: 9' 9"
3-Cone: 7.23
Short Shuttle: 4.43

Looking at our group as a whole, there's nothing really about speed and athleticism that should make Thompson the odd man out among our OLBs.

pbmax
12-30-2009, 05:12 PM
I think this move may be more significant to the D line than the LB squad. Thompson's prognosis for recovery could have changed (didn't it make the paper last week that his season may not be over?), but I suspect it was made to help the D line. Adding a NT to take some of the load of Raji while Pickett is limited. Hopefully, this doesn't signify that Pickett is further away than the previous estimations of any day now.

GBPG said Raji played less true 0 technique (head up on the Center) than Pickett, in what was termed Capers version of an under front. Raji ended up taking on Guards more frequently in this alignment. Raji is also more likely to get turned and be less square to the LOS than Pickett and I think this has affected our Run D. Its been noted elsewhere that Raji also ends up on the ground more than Pickett.

There may be nothing wrong with BJ, as others have written and pointed out, it takes a rookie time to play the interior line technique. And NT in this 3-4 is a different position than he played in his college defense.

rbaloha1
12-30-2009, 07:41 PM
JT played too tentatively. Changing directions also appeared to be a problem.

Bossman641
12-30-2009, 07:55 PM

Were you one of those that said Barnett wouldn't be any good in this defense, most of our DL didn't fit the scheme, and our corners were fish out of water playing more zone coverage?

He said Barnett wouldn't be good in ANY defense :D

wist43
12-30-2009, 07:58 PM

Still hate Barnett... I can be as stubborn as you guys.

As I remember, none of you guys wanted to make the switch, and all of you guys thought all of our defenders were pro bowlers as 4-3 players, and pro bowlers as 3-4 players.

The DL has performed above expectation, due mainly to Jolly (a guy I've always liked as a player, and Jenkins, another guy I've always liked).

We made the switch, and no one was happier about than I was... I've been saber rattling for a switch to the 3-4 for years... now all you "johnny come latelies" want to tell me the sky is blue???

I figured we'd improve as the season wore on, and posted to that effect... have they exceded my expectations - yes.

Bossman641
12-30-2009, 08:37 PM

As I remember, none of you guys wanted to make the switch, and all of you guys thought all of our defenders were pro bowlers as 4-3 players, and pro bowlers as 3-4 players.

The DL has performed above expectation, due mainly to Jolly (a guy I've always liked as a player, and Jenkins, another guy I've always liked).

We made the switch, and no one was happier about than I was... I've been saber rattling for a switch to the 3-4 for years... now all you "johnny come latelies" want to tell me the sky is blue???

I figured we'd improve as the season wore on, and posted to that effect... have they exceded my expectations - yes.

Personally, I think this defense would be performing just as well as a 4-3 as they are in a 3-4, as long as they had a DC the caliber of Capers. It's not like we play that much straight 3-4 anyways.

I think the truth is more in what Capers and TT were saying before the season, that good football players will be able to adjust to the scheme (with some exceptions like Kampman).

ThunderDan
12-30-2009, 09:03 PM

I've been on the 3-4 bandwagon for years. I just knew we couldn't fire Vanilla Bob after a 13-3 season.

denverYooper
12-30-2009, 09:21 PM

Those guys are good, but I think Trgovac deserves some credit for the DL's ascent. That unit is outperforming every expectation I had.

Patler
12-30-2009, 09:55 PM

Those guys are good, but I think Trgovac deserves some credit for the DL's ascent. That unit is outperforming every expectation I had.

Yup, Trgovac was a highly respect D-line coach before becoming a d-coordinator. Getting him to GB was fantastic. Players seem to have their best years when playing for him.

3irty1
12-30-2009, 11:54 PM
There are several versions of the 3-4 out there. Thompson/Kampman might be a perfect fit in a system like those run by the Jets and Patriots where their body types are pretty much the prototypical player.

Personally I feel Kampman would have disappointed in a 4-3 this year too. He's just not the player he used to be. Thompson is still a prospect and physically is a freak.

bobblehead
12-31-2009, 12:05 AM
I think this move may be more significant to the D line than the LB squad. Thompson's prognosis for recovery could have changed (didn't it make the paper last week that his season may not be over?), but I suspect it was made to help the D line. Adding a NT to take some of the load of Raji while Pickett is limited. Hopefully, this doesn't signify that Pickett is further away than the previous estimations of any day now.

GBPG said Raji played less true 0 technique (head up on the Center) than Pickett, in what was termed Capers version of an under front. Raji ended up taking on Guards more frequently in this alignment. Raji is also more likely to get turned and be less square to the LOS than Pickett and I think this has affected our Run D. Its been noted elsewhere that Raji also ends up on the ground more than Pickett.

There may be nothing wrong with BJ, as others have written and pointed out, it takes a rookie time to play the interior line technique. And NT in this 3-4 is a different position than he played in his college defense.

I agree. This is all about letting picket rest another week without exposing Raji too much. We had no one else to play NT, now we can limit Raji as well as rest Pickett.

MM can say whatever he wants, but I predict that : Wood, Pickett, and a handful of others (Wells, Tausch maybe) will be inactive for this game. Rodgers will play a quarter, maybe a quarter and a half. We mail this one in guaranteed.

The Leaper
12-31-2009, 12:13 AM
Yeah...there is no reason to put forth a lot of effort in this one. Shut down anyone nicked up and get the valuable starters out of there after 3-4 series.