PDA

View Full Version : Football Outsiders: Packers Ranked 4th for Season Overall

pbmax
12-30-2009, 08:25 PM
At 28.3% over average. If you go by their Weighted Score (weighing recent games more heavily than early season games) the Packers are #1 at 32.3%.

For the season, they are behind Philadelphia, Baltimore and New England. I am not going to defend Baltimore ranking this high, you will need to go read their explanation (essentially its very close, well played losses coupled with blowout wins versus lesser teams).

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-ratings/2009/week-16-dvoa-ratings

Minnesota and New Orleans have fallen off due to recent misadventures. Indianapolis is falling off the map due to resting starters in the past two games. They make a point here that the rest of the breathless media coverage of the Colts destroying Western Civilization by resting players have been ignoring.

Against Jacksonville, a game that critics point out meant nothing to the Colts, they played their starters deep into the game, unlike the Jets game. Missed among the conspiracy theories*, is the fact that Robert Mathis and Dwight Freeney played only 3rd downs in passing situations. I believe both have been battling injuries this season.

* PFT has posts on how people believe the Colts are trying to keep Jacksonville and Pittsburgh out while bolstering the Jets chances (Jets wins reduce significantly Pittsburgh's chances) to get into the playoffs. My response is tough. Win more games. :lol: