PDA

View Full Version : Rodger's QB Skills

Smidgeon
12-31-2009, 08:34 AM
Okay, so I was thinking about this based on a comment on JSO. The comment was about how Rodgers won't be considered elite until he takes the next step and wins a game with throws the way Big Ben did against the Pack a couple weeks ago, which got me to thinking.

Aaron Rodgers has one of the most accurate long balls in the league. He appears to have near-pinpoint precision on long balls. He's also made some throws that show he's got the arm strength to make all the throws.

But what I can't remember him doing since one of his first games as a starter on a TD pass to a FB, is rifle a ball through a tight window for a TD or first down (like Big Ben did on the last play of the game). I know those are high risk throws and AR is INT-averse, but I'm wondering why that is. I have a few options:

a) He does make these throws and I just haven't noticed them (silly me)
b) His receivers are unbelievable at creating separation from defenders
c) He hasn't had many opportunities because the Packers throw for long scores
d) He doesn't throw them because of the possibility of an INT

What say you?

HarveyWallbangers
12-31-2009, 08:48 AM
a and d

I've noticed some tight throws, but he also avoids making mistakes, so I don't think he takes as many chances as some others. He's more Tom Brady or Peyton Manning than Brett Favre or Ben Roethlisberger. He forced throws at the end of games last year when we were trying to come back, but he mostly avoids risky throws. He's done it though. There were a few in the last several weeks that I noticed.

b bulldog
12-31-2009, 10:23 AM
Agree with that and those two QB's are two that I hope he will be compared to in the end.

PlantPage55
12-31-2009, 11:08 AM
He makes a few of those tight throws, but not as many as we are used to seeing. I think he has reservations about them yet, but with the way we produce points, I don't mind. He'll get there.

His best throw of the year that wasn't a TD was that one toss to Donald Lee (I believe it was in the Cowboys game), where he split 2 defenders. They showed it from the camera behind the play and Donald Lee didn't even look close to open. Aaron led him perfectly, between a LB and a DB, and got a first down and a big gain.

Smidgeon
12-31-2009, 11:16 AM
Maybe he just makes it look so easy by not throwing the INTs that make those throws look risky. He's just so darn consistent it's like stealing candy from a baby. Unless you're Tampa who's intercepted him 6 times over two games. In that case Rodgers would be the baby and the passes he threw were the candy...you fill in the rest.

Pugger
01-02-2010, 10:14 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-cvlgSArDI&NR=1

packers11
01-02-2010, 10:18 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-cvlgSArDI&NR=1

Noah Herron sighting... http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/31.gif

ICU81MI
01-03-2010, 12:31 AM
Aaron is playing like a superstar the past few weeks but part of being a superstar is longevity and doing it consistently. He hasn't been a starter long enough or got it done in January enough (through no fault of his own) to be looked at with the top 5 or so guys. He's kocking on the door...

Tyrone Bigguns
01-03-2010, 12:43 AM
Maybe he just makes it look so easy by not throwing the INTs that make those throws look risky. He's just so darn consistent it's like stealing candy from a baby. Unless you're Tampa who's intercepted him 6 times over two games. In that case Rodgers would be the baby and the passes he threw were the candy...you fill in the rest.

Arod, in a way, reminds Ty of Montana. Not physically, but, from ty's memories Montana never seemed to be making the risky throw. That offense hummed and it always appeared that somebody was pretty darn open or they were using the short pass instead of a run. But, no matter what, they were unstoppable.

Ty thinks this is a good thing as it means the offense is giving him better looks than needing to make a risky throw. Offense has been pretty darn good. And, before ty would want to see more risky throws, ty would prefer that other offensive issues get squared away. We are in the playoffs...and if we don't make it to the Superbowl, Ty is guessing that Arod's lack of risky throws will be pretty much near the end of the list for the reasons why we didn't get there.

Instead of asking yourself which risky throws he made, ask yourself, "when have we needed a risky pass?"

Patler
01-03-2010, 05:12 AM
Ty raises a good point. On the interception Favre threw against the Giants, a perfect pass might have been one of those "wow" passes we got used to seeing from him. But, we have had pictures and videos posted that seem to show others might have been more open on the play. Had Favre made one of those throws, it might have looked relatively routine, an easy toss and catch.

How many of Favre's (and other QB's) impressive completions were based on bad decisions by them of where to go with the ball? On occasion we heard of receivers uncovered, but unseen or ignored by the QB. Maybe it was decisions like that which convinced TT and MM to move on with Rodgers and not Favre.

Maybe Montana, Rodgers and others make fewer impressive throws because they know they don't have to. The get their completions the easy way, by throwing mostly to guys who are open and guys who have single coverage.

pbmax
01-03-2010, 09:12 AM
Ty raises a good point. On the interception Favre threw against the Giants, a perfect pass might have been one of those "wow" passes we got used to seeing from him. But, we have had pictures and videos posted that seem to show others might have been more open on the play. Had Favre made one of those throws, it might have looked relatively routine, an easy toss and catch.

How many of Favre's (and other GB's) impressive completions were based on bad decisions by them of where to go with the ball? On occasion we heard of receivers uncovered, but unseen or ignored by the QB. Maybe it was decisions like that which convinced TT and MM to move on with Rodgers and not Favre.

Maybe Montana, Rodgers and others make fewer impressive throws because they know they don't have to. The get their completions the easy way, by throwing mostly to guys who are open and guys who have single coverage.
One of the benefits of Favre's approach is quick decisions. If he has decided where to go early in a play, his release time would be quick. Rodgers would not appear to do this nearly as much and this partially explains some of the increase in sacks from 07 to 08. As he gets more experience, I suspect you will see more of this.

ThunderDan
01-03-2010, 02:35 PM
Aaron is playing like a superstar the past few weeks but part of being a superstar is longevity and doing it consistently. He hasn't been a starter long enough or got it done in January enough (through no fault of his own) to be looked at with the top 5 or so guys. He's kocking on the door...

When you are the 1st QB ever to put up 4,000+ yards in your 1st 2 years starting in the league you need to start thinking about it.

Kiwon
01-03-2010, 05:50 PM
It's too bad that Rodgers had so many dropped passes this season. He would have easily had the Packer all-time passing yardage record for a season. Putting his name in the record book like that would have been awesome as a confidence booster for him and a good retort to his critics.

He was only 24 yards short of Lynn Dickey's mark when the 4th quarter started today.

ICU81MI
01-03-2010, 06:07 PM

When you are the 1st QB ever to put up 4,000+ yards in your 1st 2 years starting in the league you need to start thinking about it.

Agreed he is knocking on the door and if he gets it done this playoff season he will be one of the best.