PDA

View Full Version : Free Agency

HarveyWallbangers
01-01-2010, 01:21 AM
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Wednesday-whys-All-about-Pro-Bowl-bonuses.html

From Andrew Brandt (also, an interesting note about how Jarius Byrd, the fantastic Bills rookie safety, used to run around the Packers locker room 10 years ago--his Dad Gil worked for the Packers):

Why are the Pro Bowl selections evidence that big splashes in free agency are usually more noise in March than February?

The big signings this year when the bell rang for free agency were monster contracts given to players who set new markets for the positions they play. Among them were the contracts of Albert Haynesworth of the Redskins (defensive tackle), Jason Brown of the Rams (center), Bart Scott of the Jets (linebacker), and T.J. Housmandzadeh of the Seahawks (wide receiver).

One big contract, but no Pro Bowl selection for Albert Haynesworth.
None of these players was selected to the Pro Bowl. Moreover, it appears that only three – Brian Dawkins, Leonard Weaver and Darren Sharper – who switched teams during the 2009 free agency period were selected to play in the game, and the latter two signed for modest one-year contracts. (Jason Peters also switched teams due to a trade, and Brett Favre was signed out of retirement).

The point is that players who sign huge contracts in free agency are expected to play to the level of their contracts, which means a Pro Bowl level. But football is not baseball or basketball; it’s a game of schemes and systems, as Haynesworth is finding out in Washington. Players do not plug in as easily.

Bossman641
01-01-2010, 01:46 AM
I I'd like to take a look at the FA signings this year and see who actually panned out

bobblehead
01-01-2010, 10:20 AM
I I'd like to take a look at the FA signings this year and see who actually panned out

I think that article pretty much did no??

Fritz
01-01-2010, 10:49 AM
Maybe I should bookmark this article for the offseason when the usual grumbling begins about Thompson's lack of free agency activity...

Brando19
01-01-2010, 10:57 AM
Maybe I should bookmark this article for the offseason when the usual grumbling begins about Thompson's lack of free agency activity...

It's gambling. It'd be nice if TT did it once in a while in Free Agency. Some players don't work out (Haynesworth) while some players do (Turner.)

Fritz
01-01-2010, 11:04 AM
In general that's true, but specifically the point of the article seemed to be that the big-name signings - which are the ones many Packerrats clamor for, year after year - are the least likely to work out.

Another name that was left off that list was Chris Canty. He has been quite mediocre for the Giants this year. Had the Packers signed him as so many people (uh, Fritz might have been one of them) wanted, there'd be no way to consider signing both Pickett and Jolly, both of whom seem more important than any Chris Canty right about now.

Bossman641
01-01-2010, 02:03 PM

I think that article pretty much did no??

That article only looked at a few FA signings

Patler
01-01-2010, 02:07 PM

You can find them all here, I think:

http://gnb.scout.com/a.z?s=61&p=9&c=12&nid=83&lnid=83&yr=2009

sheepshead
01-01-2010, 04:00 PM
That Thompson guy looks smarter all the time doesn't he?