PDA

View Full Version : Mortenson on the Pack's Draft "Fascination"

Fritz
04-08-2006, 08:46 AM
I don't know if Chris Mortenson has said this anywhere else, so I wanted to report it to you people. I was listening to a Detroit sports talk station yesterday, and they were interviewing Chris Mortenson about, of course, the Lions. They asked if he thought the Lions should take a "need" player or take a chance on a QB if one of the big three drops. Mortenson said (of course) that any team ought to take the most talented player.

He then went on to say that any of the big three QB's this year would have last year been the #1 overall pick - all three far better prospects than Alex Smith. To prove that this year's QB crop is considered excellent, and to support his point that talent is more important than need, he mentioned that he happens to know that the Packers (who have many needs) are "fascinated" with one of the three QB's.

I found that highly interesting. To whom do you think he's referring? Given that Leinart seems the most known in terms of what he'll be able to do, I have to think then that Mort was referring to either Vince Young or Jay Cutler, who Mortenson, earlier in the interview, raved about as "Brett Favre-like" in his guttiness.

Don't know if Mortenson has said this elsewhere, but I thought it interesting and so wanted to let you know.

b bulldog
04-08-2006, 08:52 AM
Young

MJZiggy
04-08-2006, 08:53 AM
I've heard rumors that TT was kind of taken with Vince Young.

Fritz
04-08-2006, 08:54 AM
That's kind of what I'm thinking. He is definitely the best athlete in this draft. The question is whether he can adapt to the NFL, though if a coach is smart he might try to make the NFL adapt to Young a little, too.

I wouldn't be bummed if they took Young. The dude almost singlehandedly beat USC, and he destroyed Michigan the year before. No one could tackle the guy. If the Pack thinks he can be taught to read defenses and to throw in an accurate way without getting balls batted down all the time, he could be something. And the higher the pick, the bigger the chance you ought to take.

b bulldog
04-08-2006, 08:56 AM
bEAT osu AT THE SHOE ALSO. He did singlehandedly beat SC

MJZiggy
04-08-2006, 08:57 AM
Let's see what happens.

HarveyWallbangers
04-08-2006, 09:19 AM
Man, I hope we don't take Vince Young.

b bulldog
04-08-2006, 09:24 AM
I hope we take Mario, Davis, Huff, Hawk and if they were to be all gone than I wouldn't mind yOUNG. The funny thing is, is that people always say watch the tape in regards to Hawk. Tape is very, very important but if one says that about Hawk, shouldn't tghe same run true for the best player in college football last season also. Young made his case in the last two Rose Bowls.

HarveyWallbangers
04-08-2006, 09:25 AM
Reggie Bush

Fritz
04-08-2006, 10:33 AM
The key for the Packers' draft is in two players: Leinart and Ferguson. If those two are taken in the first four picks, the Packers will have a fine array of choices and will have too the possibility of trading down a couple spots and still getting an excellent propspect.

Me, I wouldn't mind seeing them take Vince Young, though if Williams is available I'd like to see them take him. Personally I think you could trade down to #8 or 9 and still have Hawk on the board.

b bulldog
04-08-2006, 10:52 AM
The biggest game of the season and Bush did what???????????????????

woodbuck27
04-08-2006, 10:55 AM
The key for the Packers' draft is in two players: Leinart and Ferguson. If those two are taken in the first four picks, the Packers will have a fine array of choices and will have too the possibility of trading down a couple spots and still getting an excellent propspect.

Me, I wouldn't mind seeing them take Vince Young, though if Williams is available I'd like to see them take him. Personally I think you could trade down to #8 or 9 and still have Hawk on the board.

Right now and right up to three weeks from today you can't buy into anything , ' too much ' of what we will hear on what Ted Thompson will do with OUR #5. As I see it, the maximum hole card for us is for Vince Young to be there at #5.

I personally feel that if that's the case, then Ted Thompson has maximum value with that pick and excellent options.

Ted can snap Young or trade down to say Oakland @ #7. He then picks a solid starter at #7 and gets more in the draft.That maximizes the value of OUR pick. We get Hawk, Davis or Huff and another solid prospect in the second round.

GBRulz
04-08-2006, 11:06 AM
Do you really think TT will draft a QB first? Isn't that like admitting that he really messed up with picking Rodgers last year.....would his pride allow him to admit he might have messed up with that pick?

then again, if Favre doesn't come back, that would more justify his decision in picking a QB.

I hate the idea of picking a QB in the first round...

Damn you Miami and New Orleans for getting a franchise QB :mad:

MJZiggy
04-08-2006, 11:13 AM
Both those franchise qb's are injured and they'll have to wait and find out if they can still play like franchies quarterbacks. There's a few rumors floating around that NO may take a qb just because they don't think they can count on Brees for the long term.

b bulldog
04-08-2006, 11:14 AM
The Drew Brees injury problems are not behind him and I think that there is a 50/50 chance that the Saints still pick Liny. The one and only area where all this Favre crap comes into play is that if he announced his retirement, the team than could have went after a good veteran QB as a backup. If Brett comes back, that move would have been idiotic.

GBRulz
04-08-2006, 11:30 AM
The Drew Brees injury problems are not behind him and I think that there is a 50/50 chance that the Saints still pick Liny. The one and only area where all this Favre crap comes into play is that if he announced his retirement, the team than could have went after a good veteran QB as a backup. If Brett comes back, that move would have been idiotic.

bulldog, even if Favre announced his retirement before FA - I highly doubt TT would have gone and spent millions on a QB.

I still think finding a cheap veteran QB is something we should have done already to compete with Rodgers for the backup job. Then again, if Rodgers was backup last year, I doubt TT would put him at 3rd string this year. (based on favre coming back)

MJZiggy
04-08-2006, 11:35 AM
I don't think he was expecting Nall to find a job so quickly...

BooHoo
04-08-2006, 11:52 AM
Keep trading down so we don't have to pay draft picks high salaries. This way we can save more of our cap money! :roll:

Tarlam!
04-08-2006, 12:01 PM
I pray that Mario is still around at #5.

If not, I hope TT trades the pick. I don't want another QB. I love Hawk, but at pick 8-10. And LB is deep this year. For me, the QBs are really risky. Only Fergy is the real deal, and Mario.

As somebody pointed out, Bush had a horrible Bowl game comparitively.

Gimme Mario, or gimme a trade.

Deputy Nutz
04-08-2006, 12:14 PM
I can't wait to see Rogers relaying plays into Young. Right there stabilizes TT's ability to draft. You need a top notch Qb to send plays into another top tier QB.

Taking a QB with the 5th pick would be idotic, and Thompson would have to then come on the air and apologies to everyone for taking Rogers last year with the 24th pick in the 1st round. He should have to tell us that he panicked and selected Rogers.

All fans then should be allowed to tee off and kick Thompson in the balls during the first mini camp. It should be set up like a dunk tank, instead we just boot him in his jiz makers.

Tarlam!
04-08-2006, 12:20 PM
All fans then should be allowed to tee off

When I read this, I thought we could all tee off on the golf driving range, with TT playing the driving range...

Fritz
04-08-2006, 12:44 PM
Sorry, Nutz, but drafting Young does not mean that Rogers was a mistake. Can you ever have too many talented quarterbacks? Even if Favre comes back it's only for a year - or maybe two on the outside. What's wrong with some competition between Rogers (or is it "Rodgers"?) and Young? You know this is a quarterback-driven league, and if it turns out Young is going to be the next "it" guy, then you put Rogers into exhibition game situations in which he can shine, then trade him. If Young loses the battle, you make him into a wide receiver or a tight end. Quarterbacks have value. Look at Joey Harrington - three very mediocre years in Detroit, and what's getting tossed around here in Detroit is that they think they can get a third round pick for the guy.

Me, I'd like to see Mario Williams sitting at #5, but I would not be disappointed if he's off the board and the Pack takes Young. I would also not be disappointed if Williams is off the board and the Pack trades down.

Deputy Nutz
04-09-2006, 06:31 PM
Two good QBs, or should I say two high picked QBs gets you a salary cap problem and then a QB contoversy that is no fun for anyone.

Patler
04-09-2006, 06:56 PM
No matter what happens this year, it wasn't wrong to pick a highly regarded QB last year. No way did TT, the players or the fans expect to be sitting with the #5 pick this year. The Packers had been looking for a QB for several years, and were rumored to be ready to take Losman a couple years ago. When they finally had the chance to take a worthy candidate last year, they had to do it.

If a guy they perceive as a stud QB is available this year, it will be the right thing to do to take him, too.

Deputy Nutz
04-09-2006, 07:12 PM
Have faith in Rogers, or don't and take Cutler or Young. Both will fail and this team will have made a terrible mistake. I wouldn't take Young with the 24th pick.

The Shadow
04-09-2006, 07:50 PM
A quarterback with a '6' Wonderlic?
Please be serious.