PDA

View Full Version : Mike McKenzie available again

Lurker64
01-02-2010, 03:32 PM
The Saints cut him, and due to an obscure rule only teams that have qualified for the postseason can claim him.

PFT Explains (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/02/mckenzie-will-be-subject-to-limited-waivers-process/)

We should be fairly high up on the waiver list among the playoff teams, (behind the 2 AFC wildcard teams, and possibly the last NFC wild card team). Thompson apparently expressed an interest in McKenzie after Harris went down, I wonder if he'll put in a claim.

MJZiggy
01-02-2010, 03:33 PM
Why'd the Saints cut him now?

BF4MVP
01-02-2010, 03:52 PM
That'd be nice...It would help with the "trickle-down effect" which is causing Jarrett Bush et al to get so much playing time.

BallHawk
01-02-2010, 03:56 PM
Depends whether McKenzie blames Sherman or the Packers as a whole for his leaving Green Bay. Who knows whether those feelings subsided over time.

MJZiggy
01-02-2010, 03:59 PM
Probably depends more on whether he wants to keep playing football this season. What other playoff teams need him?

BallHawk
01-02-2010, 04:02 PM
Probably depends more on whether he wants to keep playing football this season. What other playoff teams need him?

I would think a lot of playoff teams could use a vet CB. Of course, the Saints cut him for a reason so there's gotta be a reason.

Patler
01-02-2010, 04:13 PM
The Saints cut McKenzie to make room to sign Chase Daniel from their practice squad. This just so that Daniel can be the backup QB behind Brunnell who will start. If McKenzie has no more value than that to the Saints, that they would release him to make room for a guy who they don't intend to play, just to provide a second buffer layer to prevent Brees from playing on Sunday, it leads me to believe there is not much left in McKenzie.

Fritz
01-02-2010, 04:18 PM
But signing him might get people to lay off of abusing Bush. Not that Bush is great, but it's almost like some weird fetish for people to just heap on the abuse.

And people like me, who think Mckenzie must have nothing left if he's been cut, what, twice this year, could then say "I told you so" when Mckenzie plays like crap.

See what a great signing it would be?

mraynrand
01-02-2010, 04:20 PM
Buck Fush

mraynrand
01-02-2010, 04:21 PM
Muck FcKenzie

Fritz
01-02-2010, 04:24 PM
Muck FcKenzie

Muck Fckenzie? Didn't he play for the Cleveland Rams back in the day? He was a linebackere, I think. And an offensive tackle.

gbpackfan
01-02-2010, 04:36 PM
Muck FcCarthy!

Sorry, it just looked so fun.

Bretsky
01-02-2010, 05:02 PM
we don't need McKenzie

We're got my favorite Martin, Josh Bell, and Jerrett Bush

and somebody else....that's right.....Underwood and maybe some other developmentatl dude

The Shadow
01-02-2010, 05:15 PM
we don't need McKenzie

and somebody else....that's right.....Underwood and maybe some other developmentatl dude

I wish we had My Favorite Martian.

BallHawk
01-02-2010, 05:42 PM
We're got my favorite Martin

No, he plays for the Rams now. :(

Scott Campbell
01-02-2010, 05:44 PM
I'd think about it. Were pretty thin back there.

The Shadow
01-02-2010, 06:05 PM
I suspect that McKenzie, unlike Bush, might be able occasionally to at least get in the way of a pass pattern.

mraynrand
01-02-2010, 06:11 PM
I suspect that McKenzie, unlike Bush, might be able occasionally to at least get in the way of a pass pattern.

You mean like that INT last week? I gotta go with Fritz on this one - Bush may be a weak link, but the whole crowd calling for his replacement reminds of those post game drunken call-ins on AM620 after a loss where Favre threw INTs and people were calling to 'Put Pederson in der, ya. Heed do a lod bedder doncha know?'

Point: anyone they can switch in for Bush at this point could, and likely will be, worse.

Kiwon
01-02-2010, 06:13 PM
we don't need McKenzie

We might could pry Ahmad Carroll away from the Jets... :mrgreen:

KYPack
01-02-2010, 06:47 PM
Hey, it's 2010.

Everybody get mucked.

Packers4Ever
01-02-2010, 06:54 PM
Depends whether McKenzie blames Sherman or the Packers as a whole for his leaving Green Bay. Who knows whether those feelings subsided over time.

It's been that long since he was here?? Sherman regime...

Joemailman
01-02-2010, 07:07 PM
2 Mckenzies are better than 1. Coo loo coo coo coo coo coo coo!

http://makeupchick.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/bobanddoug1.jpg

get louder at lambeau
01-02-2010, 07:36 PM
I bet he gets resigned by the Saints next week.

Brando19
01-02-2010, 08:03 PM

It's been that long since he was here?? Sherman regime...

Yes. He was here for Al Harris' first year as a Packer...then he left.

Bretsky
01-02-2010, 09:00 PM
2 Mckenzies are better than 1. Coo loo coo coo coo coo coo coo!

http://makeupchick.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/bobanddoug1.jpg

Dang Funny Movie :!:

Cheesehead Craig
01-02-2010, 09:58 PM
We're got my favorite Martin

No, he plays for the Rams now. :(

Too bad our chemistry sucks and our team does too... oh wait.

Jimx29
01-02-2010, 10:11 PM
Muck FcKenzie

Muck Fckenzie? Didn't he play for the Cleveland Rams back in the day? He was a linebackere, I think. And an offensive tackle.Nope...he helped sell Budweiser beer back in the late 80's early 90's

ThunderDan
01-02-2010, 10:11 PM

And I bet if another NFL team makes an offer he declines.

Patler
01-03-2010, 04:56 AM

He is not a free agent. Vested veterans (4+ years) are subject to waiver claims if they are waived after the trade deadline. If a waiver claim is made, he can not refuse.

red
01-03-2010, 08:40 AM

He is not a free agent. Vested veterans (4+ years) are subject to waiver claims if they are waived after the trade deadline. If a waiver claim is made, he can not refuse.

pft.com is saying that he was released friday and was never announced by the saints. so teams had until yesterday to claim him off waivers.

most if not all teams did not now he was available by the time he cleared waivers

and to add my two cents. i say grab him, even if he's old and washed up. if he can stand upright, then he's an improvement over bush.

most teams won't sign a vet because they have someone younger on the roster that they want to give playing time to, in the hopes he turns into something.

we are not one of those teams. due to injury we are giving guys who really have no business being in the nfl, lots of playing time

pbmax
01-03-2010, 08:59 AM

pft.com is saying that he was released friday and was never announced by the saints. so teams had until yesterday to claim him off waivers.

most if not all teams did not now he was available by the time he cleared waivers

and to add my two cents. i say grab him, even if he's old and washed up. if he can stand upright, then he's an improvement over bush.

most teams won't sign a vet because they have someone younger on the roster that they want to give playing time to, in the hopes he turns into something.

we are not one of those teams. due to injury we are giving guys who really have no business being in the nfl, lots of playing time
I would be very surprised if teams didn't know he was available. The league must have its own transaction wire and not simply rely on USAToday.com.

Fosco33
01-03-2010, 09:00 AM
we don't need McKenzie

Martin is out for today's game... what are we going to do :P

Joemailman
01-03-2010, 09:20 AM

I would be very surprised if teams didn't know he was available. The league must have its own transaction wire and not simply rely on USAToday.com.

But if he was released on New Years Day, would teams have anyone in the office to receive the wire?

Patler
01-03-2010, 09:21 AM

It's not uncommon for teams not to make public announcements immediately, but all player transactions are reported to the league, and the league makes the information available to all teams. I can't imagine a team front office not checking the league information daily.

Patler
01-03-2010, 09:26 AM
But if he was released on New Years Day, would teams have anyone in the office to receive the wire?

I suspect someone would check, yes. It's pretty fundamental to what they do. Besides, if he was released on Friday, they would have had until Saturday to claim him, and I'm sure someone would have been in yesterday.

bobblehead
01-03-2010, 10:03 AM

You mean like that INT last week? I gotta go with Fritz on this one - Bush may be a weak link, but the whole crowd calling for his replacement reminds of those post game drunken call-ins on AM620 after a loss where Favre threw INTs and people were calling to 'Put Pederson in der, ya. Heed do a lod bedder doncha know?'

Point: anyone they can switch in for Bush at this point could, and likely will be, worse.

For real?? Did you guys see how Tampa went after bush play after play? A Rookie QB knew who to attack. How about Pitt...it was bush who gave up that first big TD.

Look, I agree Mac must have real limitations to have so little value to the saints, but defending bush is the lords work....humans just aren't up to the task. JB might be a great guy, but he has been exposed more times than Paris Hilton.

Fritz
01-03-2010, 10:31 AM

Although I think Matt Millen got all his info from USA Today when he was GM for Detroit. I think that's how he did his draft picks, too. Read the lowdown in USA Today and made his picks.

mraynrand
01-03-2010, 10:58 AM

For real?? Did you guys see how Tampa went after bush play after play? A Rookie QB knew who to attack. How about Pitt...it was bush who gave up that first big TD.

Look, I agree Mac must have real limitations to have so little value to the saints, but defending bush is the lords work....humans just aren't up to the task. JB might be a great guy, but he has been exposed more times than Paris Hilton.

I'm not defending Bush here. I'm just following the logic. If the Packers think there is someone better to put in there, they would do it. Since they haven't, I conclude that the Packers feel there is no one better.

Now for my viewpoint, I saw maybe three plays with McKenzie all year. I have no idea whether he's better than Bush at this point. I suspect that physically, he is no where near capable of covering the deep ball, whereas Bush has issues covering the deep ball from a fundamentals standpoint. Yet, I've seen him play decent coverage, including that INT vs. Hoozamazilly. For those who prefer McKenzie to Bush, tell me what you are basing it on.

gbgary
01-03-2010, 12:41 PM
he's a young player whos's getting better with time plus, as mentioned, there's no one else available in the Packers' eyes. he's all we've got and all this being picked-on is good experience. he'll either respond, and grow, or he won't. i've got my fingers crossed that he will.

red
01-03-2010, 12:49 PM
For those who prefer McKenzie to Bush, tell me what you are basing it on.

i'll tell you what i'm basing it on. i haven't seen MM play in many years, and i despise the guy for the way he left

but once apon a time, he showed that he knew how to play the game, showed he has some kind of a brain in his head

bush is clueless and a disaster waiting to happen when he's on the field. you may say he's young and has upside, but this is year 4 for him and he is still well below average. in four years you should be able to grasp some kind of idea as to how to play the position you are listed at. if anything, he's regressed in the last couple of years.

i have no idea what-so-ever how he managed to play in the nfl for 4 years, on any team

thats why i gotta think there's gotta be something better out there

anything. putting johnny jolly out a nickle corner is probably a better option then bush

Guiness
01-03-2010, 12:56 PM
Do we have no way to free up a roster spot?

Forget Bush and all that. If we think the 'aints are just juggling roster spots, and want him back, claim him and sit on him (don't even dress him) just so they can't have him!!!

red
01-03-2010, 01:00 PM
Do we have no way to free up a roster spot?

Forget Bush and all that. If we think the 'aints are just juggling roster spots, and want him back, claim him and sit on him (don't even dress him) just so they can't have him!!!

you would think one of the 3 fb's could be dropped

BZnDallas
01-03-2010, 01:35 PM
i didn't see anybody else post this so i thought i'd throw my 2 cents in... sorry if somebody already said this, but i think Mike Mckenzie was waived due to the fact that the saints have one or two of their original starting CBs coming back from injury... so they are able to release Mike and claim a back up qb...

but the main reason mike was waived was the return of an injured player... therefore i say bring him in... hes better than bush!!! but thats just one mans opinion...

mraynrand
01-03-2010, 02:36 PM

i'll tell you what i'm basing it on. i haven't seen MM play in many years, and i despise the guy for the way he left

but once apon a time, he showed that he knew how to play the game, showed he has some kind of a brain in his head

bush is clueless and a disaster waiting to happen when he's on the field. you may say he's young and has upside, but this is year 4 for him and he is still well below average. in four years you should be able to grasp some kind of idea as to how to play the position you are listed at. if anything, he's regressed in the last couple of years.

i have no idea what-so-ever how he managed to play in the nfl for 4 years, on any team

anything. putting johnny jolly out a nickle corner is probably a better option then bush

That's pretty much what I expected - completely irrational.

bobblehead
01-03-2010, 02:46 PM

That's pretty much what I expected - completely irrational.

Note to rand...that isn't my take.

I can't say much to MM, but as I stated, Bush is far and away the dude teams go after. I am only supposing that Mac can get himself in better position and play better based on the fact that he is a vet who has had some success in the league. I obviously wouldn't want him as a next season answer, but for a playoff run he very well may be more effective than Bush, or whoever. I know it ain't TT's m.o. to bring in a vet like mac at this point though, so I realize this D is going to be as good as Bush not blowing up.

Guiness
01-05-2010, 12:47 AM
Nothing on the transaction wire today. I wonder if something is going to happen with this guy?

MOBB DEEP
01-06-2010, 11:41 AM
frickn GET HIM!

Noodle
01-06-2010, 01:12 PM
This is why I like having a separate GM and HC. I want TT to think on this really hard. I'm also glad that M3 is not distracted by this, as he has enough to do with game planning the play-off game and getting the team ready.

This is why the Skins are INSANE for letting Shannahan do the GM/HC thing. Do you want your HC worrying about this kind of crap when he's trying to make noise in the playoffs?

As to merits, I haven't seen enough of MM over the last 2 years to have a credible judgment. I loved him when he was here, but past performance is no guarantee of future returns, or something like that.

Fritz
01-06-2010, 04:39 PM
If he's available to all playoff teams, and no playoff team has signed him, does this mean other teams are that m uch more talented than the Packers at the corner position, or that Mckenzie has shown he's got nothing left, both, or that it's too late to teach him a system in time for him to be more effective than the guy he'd replace?

Scott Campbell
01-06-2010, 05:21 PM
He's younger than Al.

Packgator
01-29-2010, 12:37 AM
McKenzie worked out for the Colts this week. They might pick him up for the Super Bowl?

http://www.wwl.com/pages/6230095.php?contentType=4&contentId=5485201

sheepshead
01-29-2010, 06:50 AM
I think ol' Mike has burned his bridge to 1265 Lombardi. It would be fun to see him in the SB however.

pbmax
01-29-2010, 11:03 AM
McKenzie and Jason David both got workouts with the Colts this week. While that comparison doesn't favor McKenzie, they may simply be picking their brain about the Saints defense. Though I am not sure if David played for Williams while he was in NO.

gbgary
01-29-2010, 11:14 AM
didn't know you could add players to a roster this late. :shock:

MichiganPackerFan
01-29-2010, 11:32 AM
didn't know you could add players to a roster this late. :shock:

Don't think you can.