PDA

View Full Version : NFL COMMISS and some Misc NFL Stuff

Bretsky
01-03-2010, 10:35 AM
1. Per ESPN, apparently the Colts fans were not the only ones upset that the Colts pissed away the game against the Jets last week. He's made some phone calls and is going to try to implement rules that will discourage teams from doing so in the future.....could even mean loss of a draft pick.
I have no idea how it's enforced but I like the idea.

2. If you are in the top 8 teams this year, ESPN reported per current rules next year they will not be able to sign a free agent unless one of their free agents in signed. I'm assuming this means unrestricted only but am not sure. Anybody hear about his rule

3. Things ugly again in Denver. Apparently Brandon Marshall is not going to be allowed on the sideline.....ditto for Tony Scheffler

Fritz
01-03-2010, 10:38 AM
Denver...what a weird team. I predicted a lousy season for them - yet here they are, in the playoffs, right? Or near to it, anyway, I think.

But then you read about all the discord and disharmony on that team. Maybe it's the 1970's Oakland Athletics all over again. Weird.

Joemailman
01-03-2010, 10:44 AM
#2. My understanding is that the top 8 teams cannot sign a UFA unless they have already lost a UFA of equal or greater value. Having said that, I will now await my Patlerization.

b bulldog
01-03-2010, 10:59 AM
Joe is right, any team getting a first round bye will be affected by this.

mraynrand
01-03-2010, 11:03 AM
Denver...what a weird team. I predicted a lousy season for them - yet here they are, in the playoffs, right? Or near to it, anyway, I think.

But then you read about all the discord and disharmony on that team. Maybe it's the 1970's Oakland Athletics all over again. Weird.

It's probably the coach. Just fire the coach and everything will be fine.

mraynrand
01-03-2010, 11:11 AM
I don't think the NFL should wade into the resting players issue. While controversial, ultimately the NFL would be forced into a situation where they have to judge intent and would have to question coaching decisions. What if a team dresses their whole D line, but reduces the number of snaps? Say Ryan Pickett normally gets 30 snaps, but only gets 10 in a game the Packers don't need. Would the Packers be fined or punished? Or would they be fined if he gets 15 snaps, but not 16 snaps? What if he is placed on the injury report as probable - does that change the number of snaps he must take? What if Manning dresses, and plays through the third quarter, but is then pulled. What if he stays in but just hands the ball off. Can the NFL determine that the Colts aren't giving 110%?

Bossman641
01-03-2010, 11:55 AM
1. Per ESPN, apparently the Colts fans were not the only ones upset that the Colts pissed away the game against the Jets last week. He's made some phone calls and is going to try to implement rules that will discourage teams from doing so in the future.....could even mean loss of a draft pick.

This is an idiotic idea. Goodell is overstepping his boundaries here. It is up to the Colts organization how they want to rest their players. Is Goodell gonna award an extra draft pick if a star player gets injured from being forced to play?

Joemailman
01-03-2010, 11:59 AM
If the league tries to do this, you'll see teams put all of their starters on the injury report as questionable. They'll then make a game time decision. Meddling like this can have all kinds of unintended consequences.

MJZiggy
01-03-2010, 11:59 AM

This is an idiotic idea. Goodell is overstepping his boundaries here. It is up to the Colts organization how they want to rest their players. Is Goodell gonna award an extra draft pick if a star player gets injured from being forced to play?

I agree completely. The NFL is a little out of control already, but telling teams how they can use their players is just nuts.

Bretsky
01-03-2010, 12:21 PM
I hope the Colts lose their first playoff game and start out very slow. I wanted to witness history of an undefeated season. Now I hope they crash soon.

Bretsky
01-03-2010, 12:22 PM

I agree completely. The NFL is a little out of control already, but telling teams how they can use their players is just nuts.

I have no idea how he could effectively do this but I have no problem with him attempting to.

red
01-03-2010, 12:41 PM
i could see why gooddell would want to do something, but i just don't see anyway that he can police this

this also probably puts a little dent in his idea of expanding the season to 17 or 18 games. to me that just gives teams a better chance at locking things up early and sitting their guys for a little longer

but fans don't pay hundreds of dollars for tickets and companies don't pay millions of dollars for advertising for a JV game

GrnBay007
01-03-2010, 12:44 PM
Is Goodell gonna award an extra draft pick if a star player gets injured from being forced to play?

It's their job and they are getting paid quite well to play.

The fans were apparently very unhappy about the decision of the Colts. The NFL would be squat without the fans.

GrnBay007
01-03-2010, 12:45 PM
I have no idea how he could effectively do this but I have no problem with him attempting to.

:tup:

pbmax
01-03-2010, 01:48 PM
Is Goodell gonna award an extra draft pick if a star player gets injured from being forced to play?

It's their job and they are getting paid quite well to play.

The fans were apparently very unhappy about the decision of the Colts. The NFL would be squat without the fans.
Yes, but that has not stopped them from alienating fans through other means. The NFL is a business organization charged with maximizing its revenues. That is the reason they are doing this, not because its in the best interests of fans.

GrnBay007
01-03-2010, 01:53 PM
But the fans are a huge part of that revenue.

mraynrand
01-03-2010, 02:29 PM
i could see why gooddell would want to do something, but i just don't see anyway that he can police this

this also probably puts a little dent in his idea of expanding the season to 17 or 18 games. to me that just gives teams a better chance at locking things up early and sitting their guys for a little longer

but fans don't pay hundreds of dollars for tickets and companies don't pay millions of dollars for advertising for a JV game

Oh, so true. They should punish the Browns, Jaguar, Bears, and Detroit for not winning enough games to make their final games meaningful, especially since fans and advertisers paid big $ for those games.

P.S. :roll:

ThunderDan
01-03-2010, 02:43 PM

Then why have Sunday night flex games? If they really cared they wouldn't move a noon game to 7 pm and screw the home ticket holders with additional issues!

ThunderDan
01-03-2010, 02:45 PM

Why put games to the NFL network that us Charter Communication clients can't watch?

It is simply how can the NFL maximize dollars in its pockets!

Lurker64
01-03-2010, 02:47 PM
#2. My understanding is that the top 8 teams cannot sign a UFA unless they have already lost a UFA of equal or greater value. Having said that, I will now await my Patlerization.

This is my understanding as well. This is also why Thompson really wants to advance in the playoffs next week.

bobblehead
01-03-2010, 02:50 PM
I don't think the NFL should wade into the resting players issue. While controversial, ultimately the NFL would be forced into a situation where they have to judge intent and would have to question coaching decisions. What if a team dresses their whole D line, but reduces the number of snaps? Say Ryan Pickett normally gets 30 snaps, but only gets 10 in a game the Packers don't need. Would the Packers be fined or punished? Or would they be fined if he gets 15 snaps, but not 16 snaps? What if he is placed on the injury report as probable - does that change the number of snaps he must take? What if Manning dresses, and plays through the third quarter, but is then pulled. What if he stays in but just hands the ball off. Can the NFL determine that the Colts aren't giving 110%?

And if the magic number is 15 snaps, but they want to really have the DL fresh so they line him up 3 feet from the sideline for 15 snaps and he never hits anyone.

sharpe1027
01-03-2010, 02:51 PM
If the league tries to do this, you'll see teams put all of their starters on the injury report as questionable. They'll then make a game time decision. Meddling like this can have all kinds of unintended consequences.

32 consecutive kneel downs...that's what I would do.