PDA

View Full Version : Emerging young talent

RashanGary
01-03-2010, 07:50 PM
We all know about the good young talent we already had

Rodgers, Jennings, Collins, Grant, Tramon, Jolly and several others that tend to have differing opinions amoung fans (Colledge, Spitz, Bigby, etc)

Well, it appears a whole new group is emerging. . . .

Matthews, Raji, Finley, Sitton, Nelson, Jones, Quinn Johnson

And there are several other young players that have shown promise and could even develop into probowl talent the way guys like Kampman and Marco Rivera did after a couple years in the league.

Really, the Packers future is very, very, very bright. There are solid to excellent young starters at just about every position on the field. Keep the good ones, keep adding more, there's not financial limit in sight considering we're way under our budget. There is coaching stability. The Packers might have a top 3 situation of all teams in the league right now. They have some early signs of a dynasty and I know that's been said before, but now I'm seeing that posibility.

ND72
01-03-2010, 08:21 PM
If we take care of business, we could have a lot of these guys for a long long time. Minus Harris, Woodson, Clifton, Tauscher, Driver, and probably Pickett....name an "old" player on our team.

We could be having fun for a while!

mission
01-03-2010, 08:24 PM
Imagine if we can get a couple good OL guys and a solid CB prospect in next year's draft... even one guy on each side of the ball.

who knows, we're not far off from being able to just draft for luxury

BallHawk
01-03-2010, 08:39 PM
Calling a dynasty right here, right now.

gbgary
01-03-2010, 09:45 PM
Imagine if we can get a couple good OL guys and a solid CB prospect in next year's draft... even one guy on each side of the ball.

who knows, we're not far off from being able to just draft for luxury

don't remember hearing bush's name today. that's usually a good sign with a corner.

sheepshead
01-03-2010, 09:52 PM
Fire Ted Thompson now. Hire Holmy.

Joemailman
01-03-2010, 09:55 PM
The only big question mark would be the CB position after Harris and Woodson are gone. T-Will should replace one, but there is currently no heir apparent for the other.

red
01-03-2010, 10:15 PM
i got a stiffy watching the finley jump ball in the end zone today

unstopable play that should work every time in the red zone

channtheman
01-03-2010, 10:16 PM
i got a stiffy watching the finley jump ball in the end zone today

unstopable play that should work every time in the red zone

And it has. Can you recall each time we've ran it? If you can, you can recall 4 TD's now I think. Once in a preseason game, and now in the last 3 games I believe.

red
01-03-2010, 10:17 PM
The only big question mark would be the CB position after Harris and Woodson are gone. T-Will should replace one, but there is currently no heir apparent for the other.

that's one worry and the other one is we need another tackle bad. cliffy and tausch don't have much longer. lang MIGHT be able to take over one spot, but we still need another

Tyrone Bigguns
01-03-2010, 10:50 PM
Since TT hired his "guy" the team has been in the playoffs 50% of the time, with one losing season.

TT said he wasn't rebuilding. Perhaps Bert shoulda listened.

MichiganPackerFan
01-07-2010, 11:26 AM
I agree that the future looks a lot better than it did under Sherman's reign. But on behalf of Wist, I say:
http://scrapetv.com/News/News%20Pages/Business/images/kool-aid-man.jpg

mraynrand
01-07-2010, 12:30 PM
Since TT hired his "guy" the team has been in the playoffs 50% of the time, with one losing season.

TT said he wasn't rebuilding. Perhaps Bert shoulda listened.

TT didn't surround Favre with the talent he needed to win.

Fritz
01-08-2010, 06:34 AM
According to Packer1234, TT has yet to prove he's building to win now. It's always about the future with him, apparently.

I bet this 11-5 season, this one right now, is pissing Ted off.

SkinBasket
01-08-2010, 09:29 AM

According to some, Atari Bigby is solely responsible for the fortunes of this team. Lock him up as a player/GM ASAP!!!

retailguy
01-08-2010, 04:08 PM
According to Packer1234, TT has yet to prove he's building to win now. It's always about the future with him, apparently.

I bet this 11-5 season, this one right now, is pissing Ted off.

I wonder if Ted expected to be 11-5?

I wonder if we get new OL coaches regardless of what happens? I wonder what happens at LG in 2010? I wonder if Lang can handle RT? (It looks good so far). I wonder if Sitton becomes a RG fixture for years? I wonder if Spitz reclaims the center position, or if he just looks ugly on the sideline?

I wonder if we draft and LT, or if we're too far down in the draft order to find a good one? I wonder what we'll do at cornerback next year? I wonder if Al Harris rebounds at 35? I wonder how much slower he'll be after the ACL surgery? I wonder if we'll draft a punter in the 3rd round? I wonder what we'll do with Kampman? I wonder if Brad Jones hits the wall in 2010? I wonder if Kevin Greene is really Brad Jones, or if he's that good of a coach? I wonder if Dom Capers will stay another year, or if he'll go Jim Bates nutso on us?

I wonder a lot of things.

retailguy
01-08-2010, 04:09 PM

According to some, Atari Bigby is solely responsible for the fortunes of this team. Lock him up as a player/GM ASAP!!!

Maybe he's the black Brett Favre?

packerbacker1234
01-08-2010, 06:54 PM
Not sure you can call Raji emerging. Didn't he miss most the year with some minor injuries and made pretty much little to no impact?

Fritz
01-08-2010, 07:27 PM
Not sure you can call Raji emerging. Didn't he miss most the year with some minor injuries and made pretty much little to no impact?

Well, he's not submerging.

I think he's doing fine, just fine. I'd rather have him and Pickett at the nose than Jones and Crabtree at the #3 receiver spot this Sunday.

mission
01-08-2010, 07:44 PM

Have you even watched Packers games this year?

Miss most of the year? Um... no...

Not sure what we would have done with Pickett out and Raji making no impact.

Gunakor
01-08-2010, 07:49 PM

Nose Tackles don't make many plays, but that doesn't mean they don't have a huge impact. Raji's job is to fill gaps and eat up blocks so that the LB's behind him can make plays. While Pickett was out with an injury, Raji has played at the nose and our run defense hasn't fallen off one bit. And the linebackers have still been making an awful lot of plays. That's the impact Raji has had this season. He's been pretty solid since coming back from his own early season injury.

Bretsky
01-08-2010, 08:14 PM
guy that's emerged and had a ton to do with our turnaround is Jermichael Finley.

I'm thinking if I had to take a TE for the next five years he might be in the top 5-8 now

RashanGary
01-08-2010, 08:24 PM
guy that's emerged and had a ton to do with our turnaround is Jermichael Finley.

I'm thinking if I had to take a TE for the next five years he might be in the top 5-8 now

That was something I wondered about too. I looked up Finley's total yards and they're 10th overall for TE's.

I think we all know that at 22, he's got some room to grow and with the injury slowed him a little, not to mention he wasn't really used until the first Viking game.

Finley could be special, but 5-8 seems relatively safe for him considering he's top 10 right now.

RashanGary
01-08-2010, 08:25 PM
Matthews and Finley have to be #1 and #2 on the new list of promising young players.

Bretsky
01-08-2010, 08:28 PM
Since Finley has returned he's led the Packers in both receptions and Targets. Pretty amazing for a TE. Too big for a CB, too fast for a LB, and not many safeties can stick to the guy.

I may be overly homeristic, but who'd you take over this guy for the next ten years ?

Dallas Clark and Antonio Gates....sure

Vernon Davis.....maybe if his head doesn't fall off
Whitten is there now but not much more upside
Gonzo old
I'd take him over Celek

Finley might be one of the top emerging receivers in the game

He's might be cracking top five next year if not now

mission
01-08-2010, 08:32 PM
Since Finley has returned he's led the Packers in both receptions and Targets. Pretty amazing for a TE. Too big for a CB, too fast for a LB, and not many safeties can stick to the guy.

I may be overly homeristic, but who'd you take over this guy for the next ten years ?

Dallas Clark and Antonio Gates....sure

Vernon Davis.....maybe if his head doesn't fall off
Whitten is there now but not much more upside
Gonzo old
I'd take him over Celek

Finley might be one of the top emerging receivers in the game

He's might be cracking top five next year if not now

Ya, as long as you're talking about the future, 5-8 sounds pretty low for the guy.

He's *really* special IMO... I'd say top 3 "future" guys. The sky is the limit and I'm proud to say I drafted him on both my FF teams at the start of the season. :P

People were like "who?!"

8-)

RashanGary
01-08-2010, 08:38 PM
Yeah. He's going to have to work hard, but he has talent and skill.

I think there is a little misconception about Finley that he's more talented than skilled, but the things that have impressed me most about Finley has been his skills.

How many times have you seen him miss a block? By all early accounts, he seems like a skilled blocker.

How many times have you seen him drop a ball? He seems like he's a very skilled pass catcher

How many times have you seen him time a jump and make a grab over the defenders head. He seems to be very skilled at adjusting to the ball.

I like his game a lot. Trying not to be too homeristic too, but I think he has that type of potential too. Gates and Gonzo were elite ELITE talents. I don't know if he has that type of ceiling of them in their prime, but I agree that it's not far fetched to think of him as the next tier down (probowler not HOFer). And hey, who knows. He could be the best too. Nothing he's done has ruled that out, it's just awfully high praise for a guy who hasn't done it yet. Gotta wait for that praise.

Bretsky
01-08-2010, 08:40 PM
It was pretty dam funny and the PR's would have found humor if we had it on tape

I play in a high end auction with college buddies and fly into NY to attend in New York. Entry is about $500 and pot for winner is about $2500. We have partners of 3....all former UW Madison Students

I gave them the scouting report on Finley and let them know he was going to be the last guy in the draft we'd take with the money we have left over.
$1000 pot for everybody in the auction.

Most of those guys are nuts; at about midnight in September the Tuesday before the Season started, we had one roster spot left and I called out for the Gritty (named after Nitty Gritty in Madison)

Jermichael Finley.......$13

It's what we had left. Going once, going twice, gone.

Every team in the room but one looked at us like we were insane. I was asked who he was. One team said.....emerging young TE for the Packers.

My comment was, "You'll know by the end of the Season"

We had to start two TE's and Finley was our 3rd behing Dallas Clark and Owen Daniels.

After Daniels tore his ACL, Finley emerged and help us win another Grudge Bowl Title.

Joemailman
01-08-2010, 08:42 PM
Only 8 TE's this year had more receiving yards than Finley, and that was with Finley missing 3 games. His numbers projected over 16 games put him in Tony Gonzalez territory.

RashanGary
01-08-2010, 08:42 PM
Nice. How much money you win?

RashanGary
01-08-2010, 08:44 PM
Only 8 TE's this year had more receiving yards than Finley, and that was with Finley missing 3 games. His numbers projected over 16 games put him in Tony Gonzalez territory.

I thought I counted 9.

Regardless, he only had 2 or 3 catches in the first 3 games, broke out in the first Vike game, then was injured, then game back and finished like a star.

If he plays like he played in the last half of the season, holy shit, it's scary. Is it crazy to say he's oru best weapon,

swede
01-08-2010, 09:35 PM
Is it crazy to say he's our best weapon,

Well, no, I think you're right because of all our talented skill players he is the one--and probably the only one--that forces an opposing defense to screw around with coverage schemes in order to deal with a guy who is too big for D backs and too fast for linebackers to cover. He's a nightmare, and I love the way the Packers drag him across the formation before the play begins; I suppose they do this because it gives Aaron an idea of who will be covering Jermichael, revealing important clues about coverage pre-snap. At other times he blocks running plays out of that pre-snap motion.

Yeah, he is a pretty danged fine weapon.

Bretsky
01-09-2010, 12:56 AM
Nice. How much money you win?

We win around $2600 but split it up among three; very deep league where you start two QB's 4 RB 4 WR 2 TE and with it being an auction you have to anticipate where you can get cost effective guys who will overperform

We targeted Aaron Rodgers and Rivers....had Driver as well.