PDA

View Full Version : Whisenhunt on stat padding

SkinBasket
01-04-2010, 03:13 PM
Talking about Fitzgerald being in the game in the 4th:

"Those are important milestones to him as a player and we certainly respect that," Whisenhunt said. "It is a risk and it is something you would feel sick about had he gotten injured at the end. But I have no doubt in my mind that was what Green Bay was trying to do with Aaron Rodgers yesterday as far as the passing statistics. We are talking about something that is important to the player as far as his legacy in the league and I certainly do respect that."

I didn't get the sense that's why Rodgers was playing, especially considering the only benchmark he was close to was TDs, and we ran the first two in. I think Whisenhunt doesn't understand that Green Bay decided to come to Arizona and play a football game.

packerbacker1234
01-04-2010, 03:16 PM
Wasn't Rodgers actually close to the yardage record. I believe when he got pulled he only needed 25 yards.

And if thats the case, then how were they stat padding? They would of left him in until we got it.

hoosier
01-04-2010, 03:24 PM
That's just bizarre. Hard to believe a HC for an NFL team could really be so stupid as to think that the decision to play or sit your starters comes down to stats. But it's also an interesting statement because it seems at odds with the theory that Arizona is laying low and letting the Packers get overconfident. If that was the goal then Wisenhunt should be talking about how ARod is the Second Coming and all that.

KYPack
01-04-2010, 03:27 PM
Good bulletin board material.

Take it like a man, Kenny.

SkinBasket
01-04-2010, 03:29 PM
Hard to believe a HC for an NFL team could really be so stupid as to think that the decision to play or sit your starters comes down to stats.

He doesn't just think it, he believes in it. It's the reason he gave for why Fitzgerald was still in the game - because he wanted TDs and 100 receptions, and as a coach he respects that.

retailguy
01-04-2010, 03:35 PM
Wasn't Rodgers actually close to the yardage record. I believe when he got pulled he only needed 25 yards.

And if thats the case, then how were they stat padding? They would of left him in until we got it.

Maybe the "stat" GB was concerned with was Rodgers surpassing FAVRE and not Dickey. Favre had second place at about 4200 yards, and Rodgers did surpass that one yesterday?

I have no idea but just a thought.

Scott Campbell
01-04-2010, 03:36 PM
His team could have showed a little more pride in themselves yesterday.

packerbacker1234
01-04-2010, 03:39 PM
4,434 yards passing by rodgers. Pretty sure the Favre record was irrelevant

retailguy
01-04-2010, 03:41 PM
4,434 yards passing by rodgers. Pretty sure the Favre record was irrelevant

I saw some chart flash on the screen during the game yesterday. In the 10 seconds I had to look at it, it seemed to indicate that Rodgers had passed Favre's second place on the list yesterday, but hadn't passed Dickey.

Maybe I read it wrong?

packerbacker1234
01-04-2010, 03:44 PM
Roders had not passed favre yet going in, but he only neededl ike 40 yards to do so.

the fact he played long after that indicated, even to the announcers, that they may want him with the all time record. Instead, he got pulled 25 yards short of it.

So, to me, it's clear the packers didn't do it for stat padding. I think it was to maintain momentum.

Bossman641
01-04-2010, 03:51 PM
By my count, the Packers ran 47 plays with Rodgers under center.

26 pass
21 rush

That's a 55% pass rate which I would guess is right around their average. The only legitimate claim Whisenhunt could have is that on Rodgers' last scoring drive they passed 10 times and only ran 4. Sounds like sour grapes to me.

swede
01-04-2010, 03:59 PM
The only legitimate claim Whisenhunt could have is that on Rodgers' last scoring drive they passed 10 times and only ran 4. Sounds like sour grapes to me.

And, I'll bet six of those ten were screens or short running back dump-offs.

Joemailman
01-04-2010, 04:09 PM
The only legitimate claim Whisenhunt could have is that on Rodgers' last scoring drive they passed 10 times and only ran 4. Sounds like sour grapes to me.

And, I'll bet six of those ten were screens or short running back dump-offs.

Pretty much after the 1st play.

Green Bay Packers at 11:47
1-10-GB 6
(11:47) 12-A.Rodgers pass incomplete deep right to 85-G.Jennings.
2-10-GB 6
(11:41) 12-A.Rodgers pass short right to 88-J.Finley to GB 17 for 11 yards (28-G.Toler).
1-10-GB 17
(11:08) 32-B.Jackson up the middle to GB 19 for 2 yards (41-H.Abdullah).
2-8-GB 19
(10:32) 12-A.Rodgers pass short right to 89-J.Jones to GB 23 for 4 yards (41-H.Abdullah).
3-4-GB 23
(9:49) (Shotgun) 12-A.Rodgers pass short middle to 32-B.Jackson to GB 40 for 17 yards (28-G.Toler).
1-10-GB 40
(9:03) (Shotgun) 12-A.Rodgers pass short right to 80-D.Driver ran ob at GB 43 for 3 yards.
2-7-GB 43
(8:37) 34-A.Green left tackle to GB 48 for 5 yards (41-H.Abdullah).
3-2-GB 48
(7:56) (Shotgun) 12-A.Rodgers pass short right to 89-J.Jones ran ob at ARZ 44 for 8 yards.
1-10-ARI 44
(7:30) 34-A.Green left tackle to ARZ 41 for 3 yards (78-A.Branch).
2-7-ARI 41
(6:56) 12-A.Rodgers pass short right to 80-D.Driver to ARZ 33 for 8 yards (28-G.Toler).
1-10-ARI 33
(6:11) 34-A.Green left tackle to ARZ 31 for 2 yards (49-R.Johnson).
2-8-ARI 31
(5:36) 12-A.Rodgers pass short middle to 80-D.Driver to ARZ 17 for 14 yards (49-R.Johnson).
1-10-ARI 17
(4:56) (Shotgun) 12-A.Rodgers pass short middle to 32-B.Jackson pushed ob at ARZ 5 for 12 yards (41-H.Abdullah).
1-5-ARI 5
(4:21) (Shotgun) 12-A.Rodgers pass short right to 88-J.Finley for 5 yards, TOUCHDOWN.
2-M.Crosby extra point is GOOD, Center-61-B.Goode, Holder-7-J.Kapinos.

Fritz
01-04-2010, 07:21 PM
Roders had not passed favre yet going in, but he only neededl ike 40 yards to do so.

the fact he played long after that indicated, even to the announcers, that they may want him with the all time record. Instead, he got pulled 25 yards short of it.

So, to me, it's clear the packers didn't do it for stat padding. I think it was to maintain momentum.

If it was about records - if that really was why Rodgers stayed in - then why in God's name would MM pull Rodgers when he was only 25 yards short of Lynn Dickey's record? That makes zero sense. He could've gotten 26 yards on three passes or so.

Whisenhunt's thinking makes no sense, unless he knew only about Favre's single season yards record and not Dickey's.

I do think Lynn Dickey was a helluva QB, by the way. About as mobile as a tree stump, but still a hell of a QB in my book.

pbmax
01-04-2010, 08:21 PM
Talking about Fitzgerald being in the game in the 4th:

"Those are important milestones to him as a player and we certainly respect that," Whisenhunt said. "It is a risk and it is something you would feel sick about had he gotten injured at the end. But I have no doubt in my mind that was what Green Bay was trying to do with Aaron Rodgers yesterday as far as the passing statistics. We are talking about something that is important to the player as far as his legacy in the league and I certainly do respect that."

I didn't get the sense that's why Rodgers was playing, especially considering the only benchmark he was close to was TDs, and we ran the first two in. I think Whisenhunt doesn't understand that Green Bay decided to come to Arizona and play a football game.
This can cut both ways, but I like that this is causing some consternation for the Cardinals. My first reaction was that they are going to be breathing fire for the first quarter after hearing about the beating for a week. But if the Whizz (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRf_A07Elyw&feature=related) is having to explain Fitzgerald in the game as well, then I think the whole distraction might be a net positive for the Packers.

ThunderDan
01-04-2010, 08:24 PM
I do think Lynn Dickey was a helluva QB, by the way. About as mobile as a tree stump, but still a hell of a QB in my book.

What do you mean? If Lynn only had to move 2 feet to avoid a sack he never went down.

channtheman
01-05-2010, 01:10 AM
I thought we kept Rodgers in until he threw for his 30th TD. He had 29 coming in and I believe if the early attempt to Finley where he stepped out of bounds had been a TD that Rodgers day would have been done there.

Fritz
01-05-2010, 09:41 AM

What do you mean? If Lynn only had to move 2 feet to avoid a sack he never went down.

I'd give ya a foot, Thunder. Ol' Lynn had some really messed up knees and was never mobile anyway, but my gosh, could he throw the football. On a dime. And he had a strong arm, and was smart.

As I've said before, I never saw Herber or Isbell, but from the Packer QB's I've seen - from Starr through Rodgers - I'd say at this point I'd rate them Starr, Favre, and Dickey. Rodgers keeps doing what he's doing and stays healthy, he'll overtake one or more of those guys.

ThunderDan
01-05-2010, 10:09 AM
I'd give ya a foot, Thunder. Ol' Lynn had some really messed up knees and was never mobile anyway, but my gosh, could he throw the football. On a dime. And he had a strong arm, and was smart.

Come on Fritz!!! He was good for at least 24" of pocket movement!!! :lol:

I saw him shuffle sideways at least 2 feet a couple of times!!!

bobblehead
01-05-2010, 10:21 AM

As I've said before, I never saw Herber or Isbell, but from the Packer QB's I've seen - from Starr through Rodgers - I'd say at this point I'd rate them Starr, Favre, and Dickey. Rodgers keeps doing what he's doing and stays healthy, he'll overtake one or more of those guys.

Now dickey was the first QB that I saw regular, and I'll say this. Great arm. Great offense. Problem dickey had was the same one that Favre had. Red zone picks. Drive right down the field and toss a pick when we had it in chip shot field goal range.

If Rodgers continues the way he has been playing, all other things equal I believe he will be the best Packer ever in my book....and if he continues to toss 25+ TD's with single digit picks I'll put him top 5 all time, but we are a long ways from that yet.

One thing a friend and I were talking about the other day was how amazing it is that BF put up his best season ever (in our book due to 7 picks) and Rodgers was right there with him in his second year starting. We are truly blessed as Packer fans and I think we have 2-3 super bowls ahead in young Aarons career.

Pugger
01-05-2010, 03:37 PM
Dickey also played when we had crappy defenses and he had to throw like crazy to keep us in games. I'll never forget that Skin/Packer MNF game!

RashanGary
01-05-2010, 07:03 PM
I just read an article about Wisenhunt being all pissed off about McCarthys game plan. I don't know, I don't think we did anything crazy out there. Our guys played hard, but why the hell wouldn't they.

We might lose to Arizona, but honestly, after his stupid ass pouting, I hope we kick the shit out of them just to prove a point. The Packers are young, physical and hungry. Arizona might think they're playing hard for revenge, but the Packers just blew their asses up for fun and I really don't think Arizona is going to be playing with any more fire than our guys come Sunday.

We showed up at their house, kicked their ass and had our fans chanting GO PACK GO! Yeah, he hated it, but the way they played, that was his choice. McCarthy said all week he was playing to win. If Wis had paid attention, he'd a known what was coming. If it was that big of a deal he should have called MM ahead of time to work out how the game would be played.

Bretsky
01-05-2010, 07:14 PM
We are a better team than Arizona
Go position by position; sqaud by squad.
No excuse to lose this game
If I was a gambler I'd lay some green on Green Bay
I'm still tempted but my history of betting on the Pack is not good and I don't wanna create a whammy

RashanGary
01-05-2010, 07:23 PM
I agree, Bretsky. Early in 2007, I think that team was playing great. They faltered a little bit with injury down the stretch.

Right now, heading into the post season, I think this team is playing better than that 2007 team going into the playoffs. I don't know if anyone recalls, but we were getting gashed horribly in the run heading into the playoffs that year. This year, we're just starting to peak.

It's hard to go to the SB from the wild card spot, but I like our chances. We don't have the bye week or home field, but we're good and we have a fighters chance. ST's is even picking it up.

Bretsky
01-05-2010, 07:34 PM
I don't get all the media love for Dallas; I think Green Bay an equal threat to the Cowboys and even Vikings. We have more talent than the 07 team hands down, we're playing far better, and our defensive coaching staff is superior to two years ago as well.

If Al Harris does not go down when he does we might be the two seed

I think the Saints and Vikings are tough to defeat due to how deep they are on offense but it's going to be tough to knock Green Bay out this year and a trip far into the playoffs would not surprise me at all. Anything could happen and it looks like our future is very bright.

channtheman
01-05-2010, 07:37 PM
Hey Justin, you got a link to that article you read?

RashanGary
01-05-2010, 07:42 PM
I agree. Right now, I think I have Minnesota #1, followed by the faltering Saints, followed by us.

I hate saying the Vikings are #1, but with that homefield crowd and the bye, they're going to be tough to knock off.

I'm hoping Dallas wins because I think DeMarcus Ware is the most dangerous defensive player in the NFL and I could see McKinney having issues against him. I also think we stand a better chance in a shoot out against the Saints. They just lost Charles Grant so their pass rush/DL is going to be thin. The Vikings have a scary front 4, so a shoot out with them means having Allen and Williams all over Rodgers. I'm not so fond of that. Then again, Clifton is playing is best football right now and so is Tausch. If we get a little time, we could shred their secondary.

It's tough playing from the wildcard spot, but for where we are, I do like our chances. We'll see how it plays out. I'm not all that excited to play the Vikes though. They beat us twice, I know we're playing better now and them worse, but I can't forget the last two games that easily. They had our number.

Bretsky
01-05-2010, 09:06 PM
If I could pick how I'd like the NFC to go

I'd pick GB and Dallas in round one

GB upsets the Saints and the Vikes beat Dallas

Then GB goes in and upsets the Vikes on a Mason Crosby field goal to win about 38-35

GB then goes to the Super Bowl and defeats the Chargers

BTW, the Colts got eliminated in round one to leave all the Colts fans upset at Caldwellism

Cheesehead Craig
01-05-2010, 09:07 PM
Preach on Fritz!

One of my favorite Packers ever.