PDA

View Full Version : Woodson gets fresh start in green and gold July 29, 2006

GoPackGo
07-29-2006, 07:56 PM
Pompei's SportingBlog
Woodson gets fresh start in green and gold
July 29, 2006

In my wildest dreams, I didn't think I'd ever see Charles Woodson in green and gold. But there he was Saturday, playing cornerback on Clark Hinkle Field during the Packers' second day of training camp.

Woodson was a welcome sight for new coach Mike McCarthy, who told me he liked the way Woodson practiced with savvy. McCarthy also liked the way Woodson looked physically, which was a potentially big issue.

The Packers signed the former Raider to a big free agent contract in the offseason with the hope that he would be a leader, even though that wasn't his reputation in Oakland. McCarthy was trying to emphasize that all his players take part in the offseason conditioning program.

In previous Green Bay regimes, the offseason program had not been emphasized. About 30 percent of the team participated in the 2005 offseason, and about 75 percent participated in the 2006 offseason.

But Woodson was not among them. He chose to work out in Houston, so the Packers didn't know what to expect. But Woodson showed up weighing about 200 pounds, down 10 or so from his previous weight. This is a leaner Woodson than the Raiders knew.

The Packers hope a new environment will bring out the best in Woodson. The Raiders' environment might have brought out the worst.

Generally speaking, players don't change their spots when they change their teams. But the Packers believe Woodson will be an exception.

FavreChild
07-29-2006, 08:37 PM
Oh lordy, lordy...Woodson is least of the team's worries. The man wants to be here. The man wants to win.

"C-Dub" is the man! (I hope no one really starts calling him that.)

MadtownPacker
07-30-2006, 09:46 AM
"The Raiders' environment might have brought out the worst."

As someone who know, the OAKLAND environment is what brought out the worse. Bad air and too much partying = brittle bones for Woodson.

oregonpackfan
07-30-2006, 10:05 AM
If you read Clif Christl's account of opening Day of training camp, Woodson was consistently beaten by receivers running their routes.

The guy might be past his prime.

OPF

ahaha
07-30-2006, 10:21 AM
If you read Clif Christl's account of opening Day of training camp, Woodson was consistently beaten by receivers running their routes.

The guy might be past his prime.

OPF

If that's the case, he could still be a good safety. If Carroll finally emerged in training camp, how exciting would that be?

woodbuck27
07-30-2006, 10:55 AM
To date I can't seem to get away from this:

I have reservation regarding the REAL positive impact that Charles Woodson can bring to us this season.

We need more time to see-see-see . . . just that.

He has been given a new lease on his football career in one of the BEST and Proudest Franchise's in the NFL.

Charles Woodson:

YOU are now "a GREEN BAY PACKER", being paid very well for your skill and talent . . . . soooooo . . .

bring it to the table Charles ! GET IT ON !!!!