PDA

View Full Version : Let's Hope Few People Think Like Peter King

Smidgeon
01-06-2010, 10:27 AM
Peter King posted his ballot for all the player of the year categories and his all-pro team. His two CBs were Revis and Woodson (in that order):

CB Darrelle Revis, Jets.
State-of-the-art cornerback. Can play physical, can play off, can run with the speed guys. And he's only 24.

CB Charles Woodson, Green Bay.
Second to Revis in my defensive player of the year thinking. He and Ed Reed are best secondary playmakers in football.

But, even after saying Woodson was one of the two "best secondary playmakers in football", he votes Revis as the DPOY:

Darrelle Revis, Jets.
Revis played Randy Moss, Andre Johnson, Steve (Carolina) Smith, Reggie Wayne, Marques Colston, Terrell Owens, Roddy White and Chad Ochocinco a total of 10 times this year. None had more than 35 receiving yards in a game. The average game: three catches, 27 yards. Revis was the only cover man in football to allow a sub-40-percent completion percentage on balls thrown in his area.

So, is Peter King right? Does Revis' domination as a CB invalidate the impact Woodson has had all over the field?

packers11
01-06-2010, 11:22 AM
I saw that article too, I posted a link the woodson "DMVP" thread, I think its going to be a lost closer...

50 voters. 1 already said Revis

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/15322/looking-inside-year-end-award-process

49 to go... ^the list is on the bottom of that page

HarveyWallbangers
01-06-2010, 11:33 AM
Defensive Player of the Year usually goes to somebody with high sack totals or is a playmaker, so I hope he's wrong. Deion Sanders was possibly the best shutdown corner ever and he only won one Defensive Player of the Year award.

channtheman
01-06-2010, 11:47 AM
I would like to think that a defensive player of the year award would go to someone who has done many things and done them well, as opposed to someone who did one thing exceptionally well.

packers11
01-06-2010, 11:51 AM
I would like to think that a defensive player of the year award would go to someone who has done many things and done them well, as opposed to someone who did one thing exceptionally well.

didn't Al Harris have a year where he let up only like 1 td all year and no 100 yard receivers, I swear he had some insane stat like that.

Scott Campbell
01-06-2010, 12:18 PM
Do we really care that much about this?

Smidgeon
01-06-2010, 01:34 PM

I can't speak for anyone else, but for me, it's part of being a fan. I want the guy on my team to be better than the guy on the next team. In this case, I feel like Woodson put together a much better overall season than Revis did, and I'm interested to see the reaction of others now that one of the voters has stated his case.

packerbacker1234
01-06-2010, 03:04 PM
As a fan: I want to see woodson rewarded. Have no doubt about it - one on one Revis is a beast, and in a league that favors a passing offense it truly is remarkable how good he is. Look at the players he shut down... it features some of the best in all of football.

When it comes to pure one on one, Revis is better then Woodson.

When it comes to playmaking ability. Being about to stop the outside run, come of the corner for a sack, forcing fumbles, getting the pivital game changing interception, and even being a threat to score anytime the ball ends up in your hands... Woodson wins hands down. Woodson can also play both bump and cover man on man coverage, as well as Zone, almost equally as well. Woodson is still in the top 5 for one on one coverage in the league.

If this is really about the best defensive player in the nfl, it needs to go to the one who is the most well rounded player - and htat is woodson. He may not be as good as revis one on one, but he is still up there with the elite that do it, including Revis. Add on top of that his ability to make plays everywhere in both the pass game and the run game, from multiple angles... it's not close. Woodson and Ed Reed do that sort of stuff better then anyone else in football.

I mean hell, even before Al Harris got hurt, he was constantly matched up 1 on 1 all game (mostly because he isn't a zone player) with the other teams best WR and he shut them down... almost as well as Revis. Revis is an Al Harris build - hard working, excellent shut down ability one on one, not the best at Zone, and wont make a lot of game changing plays. He will, however, more often then not, take the #1 WR from the other team out of the equation.

Revis is obviously better then Harris is now, but if you break down Harris's number this year I think you will be surprised with how well he played.

In either case - they are both deserving, but Woodson you would think has to get the not for being the best all around defensive player.

mission
01-06-2010, 03:08 PM

I don't know why but I do... CDub mancrash or whatever it is.

Really want him to make the HOF and this will help things when it's all said and done.

Scott Campbell
01-06-2010, 03:10 PM

I can't speak for anyone else, but for me, it's part of being a fan. I want the guy on my team to be better than the guy on the next team. In this case, I feel like Woodson put together a much better overall season than Revis did, and I'm interested to see the reaction of others now that one of the voters has stated his case.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and this is a beauty contest IMO. But I understand where you are coming from.

gex
01-06-2010, 06:23 PM
Peter King is an idiot who doesn't know anything. :x

Smidgeon
01-06-2010, 11:36 PM
Courtesy of GBPG:

Woodson honored again

For the third time this season, Woodson will be named NFC defensive player of the month.

He will receive the honor today for his performance, which included 20 tackles and two interceptions in the last five games. He also won for September and November, which made him the only player to be named NFC defensive player of the month multiple times in the same season.

Now, Woodson joins former Detroit Lions running back Barry Sanders and former Indianapolis Colts kicker Mike Vanderjagt as the only players to win a player of the month award three times in a season.

Gunakor
01-07-2010, 02:28 AM
He will receive the honor today for his performance, which included 20 tackles and two interceptions in the last five games. He also won for September and November, which made him the only player to be named NFC defensive player of the month multiple times in the same season.

Now, Woodson joins former Detroit Lions running back Barry Sanders and former Indianapolis Colts kicker Mike Vanderjagt as the only players to win a player of the month award three times in a season.

This alone should put the argument to rest.