PDA

View Full Version : Peter King lists TT as Executive of the Year

Spaulding
01-06-2010, 04:21 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/01/04/awards/index.html?eref=sihp

Not that I hold much weight to Peter King, but kudos none the less on the vote of confidence for constantly embattled TT.

The playoffs this year will hopefully go a long way to confirming the growth of this organization and TT strong skill in building the team for the long haul.

Although TT has only one playoff victory under his reign, I'm counting on Rodgers to exercise those demons and take us at least to the NFC Championship game. Then again, might as well down some more kool aid and plan for the Super Bowl in Miami :)

Scott Campbell
01-06-2010, 04:28 PM
Does Peter know that Ted didn't sign Albert Haynesworth?

Fritz
01-06-2010, 04:34 PM
Now Scott, I'd like to see you do the Ted mythmaking right: Either Thompson offered Haynesworth a way bigger contract than Snyder, but Albert wouldn't play in Green Bay, or Ted suspected that Haynesworth wouldn't be able to live up to a monster contract and knew that the d-line would be fine without Haynesworth so he didn't bother to try to sign him.

You can be creative here - pick whichever line you like, or another if it suits your fancy.

I'll be polishing up Ted's halo in the meantime.

sheepshead
01-06-2010, 05:01 PM
[quote="Scott Campbell"]Does Peter know that Ted didn't sign Albert Haynesworth?[/quote

:lol:

Scott Campbell
01-06-2010, 05:15 PM
Now Scott, I'd like to see you do the Ted mythmaking right: Either Thompson offered Haynesworth a way bigger contract than Snyder, but Albert wouldn't play in Green Bay, or Ted suspected that Haynesworth wouldn't be able to live up to a monster contract and knew that the d-line would be fine without Haynesworth so he didn't bother to try to sign him.

You can be creative here - pick whichever line you like, or another if it suits your fancy.

I thought it was because he was too cheap, and saving all that loot for himself.

gex
01-06-2010, 06:24 PM
That Peter King is a genius, really knows what he is talking about. :D

mission
01-06-2010, 06:25 PM

I see what you did there. :lol:

gex
01-06-2010, 06:30 PM

I see what you did there. :lol:

LOL, I couldn't resist.

BF4MVP
01-06-2010, 09:00 PM
Would certainly be well-deserved. TT's difficult decisions are paying off.

MJZiggy
01-06-2010, 09:05 PM

Who are you kidding?? NO one offers ANYone a bigger contract than Snyder...

Fritz
01-07-2010, 05:56 AM
Why let the truth get in the way of what you want to believe?

WEASERGB
01-07-2010, 06:05 AM
Isnt this the second one for Ted?

Fritz
01-07-2010, 06:28 AM
Well, it's not the official one; it's just Peter King, I think. But still, he is being recognized again, unlike, say, Jerry Angelo.

Funny to think of all the "Fire Ted" stuff two summers ago and this past summer...I think the haters are rather disappointed.

RashanGary
01-07-2010, 06:31 AM
Would certainly be well-deserved. TT's difficult decisions are paying off.

This few word post sums it up pretty well.

RashanGary
01-07-2010, 06:33 AM
Funny to think of all the "Fire Ted" stuff two summers ago and this past summer...I think the haters are rather disappointed.

The way many Packer fans hope the Vikings fail, I think that's how many of the fake Packer fans felt about the Packers. They wanted the Packers to fail because they hate someone they don't even know. They judged his job when they had no clue where he was going with it and the challenges he has to overcome. At some point, the people that are always wrong, they should make a rule for themselves that they're never allowed to hate. There is an idiot threshold that once met, should internally prevent a person from ever hating again. Well, unless they're an idiot and an asshole. In that case, hate away, but don't expect any respect from just about anyone with a brain or heart.

swede
01-07-2010, 07:35 AM

At some point, the people that are always wrong, they should make a rule for themselves that they're never allowed to hate. There is an idiot threshold that once met, should internally prevent a person from ever hating again. Well, unless they're an idiot and an asshole. In that case, hate away, but don't expect any respect from just about anyone with a brain or heart.

Good point. I am converted. I no longer hate Adrian Peterson. Letting go of my hatred has freed me to be a better person.

I still hate his knees and ankles.

mraynrand
01-07-2010, 08:16 AM
In related news, TT lists Peter King as FFF of the year.

3irty1
01-07-2010, 10:12 AM
I hate Peter King. I'd almost be disappointed if TT won now since it came out of Peter King's Favre-balls-licking mouth.

packerbacker1234
01-07-2010, 02:12 PM
I'll give TT some creidt.

- Charles Woodson
- Aaron Rodgers
- Jennings
- Ryan Grant trade

Otherwise? The OL is still not solved long haul. We are relying on two savvy veteran tackles who have proven then can still play (who knows how much longer, 1, 2 years of good play left?), and a center that was brought here before TT showed up. Grant it, I really like Wells. We've been a revolving door at guard and backup tackle, and even attempted to bench one of our best linemen in Wells earlier this year for a guy in Spitz who has never proven to be good at any position.

College isn't the answer at LG. Thats been evident. Sitton may be too early to tell at RG. Lang looks like he could be a good RT, but we still have no true replacement for Clifton. Also, this line really came together when Taucher returned. Not sure that is just coincidence.

DL... still pretty much what was here before TT showed up. Hawk hasn;t really lived up to a #5 pick.

I mean, no GM is perfect. I don't hate TT - his biggest contreversy was Favre. However, it doesn't mean I like his mentality. Outside of woodson, he has never really proven he wants to win Now... it's always "to win later". Right now, with the cap about to go away, we have al ot of young players coming up for new contracts... and we can't afford to sign them all at once.

How is that building ag ood future? 3 years from now, over half the roster is going to be gone, including starters, becuase we can't afford to pay that many players at once. He jumped all over paying AR after a handful of games, but not Collins after two probowl selections? Not Jennings after being great for 3 seasons?

Thing is, and this was an issue in the locker room earlier this year, is the feeling is with players that TT doesn't reward them. Woodson even spoke about it, saying a new contract for collins would go a long way in that lockerroom. Have you seen one yet?

I don't mind what TT does draft wise, I don't like what he does outside of the draft. He isn't taking care of his players, and now we will ahve a lot of expiring contracts around the same time, lose a bunch of people, only to fill in with what... more new draft picks? That sets us up to be a winning team once every few years, instead of a constant playoff/superbowl contendor. Look at what the other good teams do that are always there. They are constantly looking for parts, and lock up those that earn it.

Not so in GB under TT.

RashanGary
01-07-2010, 02:31 PM
McGinn polled scouts to grade the NFCN and they loved Sitton, said Colledge was rock solid and didn't really like Wells. They also liked Clifton and Tausher. According to the scouts, the Pack has the best OL in the NFCN but it's a big tragedy to you.

The Packers had a 4,000 yard passer and 1200 yard rusher 2 years in a row. It's not perfect, but I think Packer fans greatly exaggerate the OL issues. Shocking that Wells is the top guy according to the Ted haters, but he's the worst according to the scouts. And funny how we've had 9 sacks in the last 7 games (on pace for 20 in a season) and are tearing it up in the run.

They started a little slow, but they're gelling right now. The only OL Sherman gave us in 4 years was Wells. Thompson has Sitton, Colledge, Spitz and maybe Lang as good players.

Some people's ability to ignore reality in favor of what they want to believe is shocking. The situation Sherman left (cap, aging players, contracts, young talent) was so horrendous that we're finally starting to dig out of that OL hole. Patler did a nice job explaining it the other day.

But why listen to scouts and the most respected poster here when we can forge our own fairytale and stand by it with the idiotic fervour and dedication of holy crusaders

Tony Oday
01-07-2010, 02:31 PM

- Charles Woodson
- Aaron Rodgers
- Jennings
- Ryan Grant trade

Otherwise? The OL is still not solved long haul. We are relying on two savvy veteran tackles who have proven then can still play (who knows how much longer, 1, 2 years of good play left?), and a center that was brought here before TT showed up. Grant it, I really like Wells. We've been a revolving door at guard and backup tackle, and even attempted to bench one of our best linemen in Wells earlier this year for a guy in Spitz who has never proven to be good at any position.

College isn't the answer at LG. Thats been evident. Sitton may be too early to tell at RG. Lang looks like he could be a good RT, but we still have no true replacement for Clifton. Also, this line really came together when Taucher returned. Not sure that is just coincidence.

DL... still pretty much what was here before TT showed up. Hawk hasn;t really lived up to a #5 pick.

I mean, no GM is perfect. I don't hate TT - his biggest contreversy was Favre. However, it doesn't mean I like his mentality. Outside of woodson, he has never really proven he wants to win Now... it's always "to win later". Right now, with the cap about to go away, we have al ot of young players coming up for new contracts... and we can't afford to sign them all at once.

How is that building ag ood future? 3 years from now, over half the roster is going to be gone, including starters, becuase we can't afford to pay that many players at once. He jumped all over paying AR after a handful of games, but not Collins after two probowl selections? Not Jennings after being great for 3 seasons?

Thing is, and this was an issue in the locker room earlier this year, is the feeling is with players that TT doesn't reward them. Woodson even spoke about it, saying a new contract for collins would go a long way in that lockerroom. Have you seen one yet?

I don't mind what TT does draft wise, I don't like what he does outside of the draft. He isn't taking care of his players, and now we will ahve a lot of expiring contracts around the same time, lose a bunch of people, only to fill in with what... more new draft picks? That sets us up to be a winning team once every few years, instead of a constant playoff/superbowl contendor. Look at what the other good teams do that are always there. They are constantly looking for parts, and lock up those that earn it.

Not so in GB under TT.

wow...you havent been paying attention to Football this year...

get louder at lambeau
01-07-2010, 02:50 PM

- Charles Woodson
- Aaron Rodgers
- Jennings
- Ryan Grant trade

Not so in GB under TT.

What an award-winningly stupid post. You start by saying you'll give TT some credit, and then go off on a 90% negative rant full of speculation and misinformation.

Outside of woodson, he has never really proven he wants to win Now... it's always "to win later".

The Packers have been one play away from the Super Bowl, and are 11-5 heading into the playoffs this year. That's not winning now? :bs:

Right now, with the cap about to go away, we have al ot of young players coming up for new contracts... and we can't afford to sign them all at once.
You state this as fact. What do you know this based on, exactly? This is a math related question, so show your work.

3 years from now, over half the roster is going to be gone, including starters, becuase we can't afford to pay that many players at once.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone state a possiblity of anything like this before, yet you state this as fact as well. Apparently you can see into the future, and the end is near. Uh oh! :eyes:
http://www.officialstreetpreachers.com/Help%20Wanted/Ruben%20says%20REPENT3.JPG

He jumped all over paying AR after a handful of games, but not Collins after two probowl selections? Not Jennings after being great for 3 seasons?

Paying AR early looks like a genius move right now. Collins is still playing in his second Pro Bowl year, and you don't have any way of knowing whether or not he'll get paid after it. Jennings GOT paid after his third season.

get louder at lambeau
01-07-2010, 02:51 PM
Oops. Double posted.

mngolf19
01-07-2010, 03:09 PM
I would think NO should garner some awards, maybe Cin too. And I guess that due to only improving by 2 games means MN cannot win.

mngolf19
01-07-2010, 03:11 PM
And it's funny that a couple posts down it says "Not to believe in Peter King" :)

ThunderDan
01-07-2010, 03:42 PM
What an award-winningly stupid post. You start by saying you'll give TT some credit, and then go off on a 90% negative rant full of speculation and misinformation.

Outside of woodson, he has never really proven he wants to win Now... it's always "to win later".

The Packers have been one play away from the Super Bowl, and are 11-5 heading into the playoffs this year. That's not winning now? :bs:

Right now, with the cap about to go away, we have al ot of young players coming up for new contracts... and we can't afford to sign them all at once.
You state this as fact. What do you know this based on, exactly? This is a math related question, so show your work.

3 years from now, over half the roster is going to be gone, including starters, becuase we can't afford to pay that many players at once.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone state a possiblity of anything like this before, yet you state this as fact as well. Apparently you can see into the future, and the end is near. Uh oh! :eyes:

He jumped all over paying AR after a handful of games, but not Collins after two probowl selections? Not Jennings after being great for 3 seasons?

Paying AR early looks like a genius move right now. Collins is still playing in his second Pro Bowl year, and you don't have any way of knowing whether or not he'll get paid after it. Jennings GOT paid after his third season.

For someone who got "pissed" when Admin called you out, it seems pretty hypocritical of you to then post this.

Smidgeon
01-07-2010, 03:44 PM

For someone who got "pissed" when Admin called you out, it seems pretty hypocritical of you to then post this.

Yeah, but he saved me some time...

mraynrand
01-07-2010, 03:49 PM

ZING!

ThunderDan
01-07-2010, 03:51 PM

I just meant the bolded portions. I agree with the general theme of his post.

Scott Campbell
01-07-2010, 04:00 PM

This is typically where Patler chimes in and says that NFL teams on average turn over half their rosters every 2.785 years. Of course I made that number up. But without knowing how fast rosters turn over on average, the original post is pretty meaningless.

The idea that the Packers can't afford to pay their players is completely ludicrous.

Zool
01-07-2010, 04:11 PM
Yet we all reply to this insanity. I'm just as guilty of it. What is it about ridiculous posts that make you want to find the other person and shake the shit out of them?

Guiness
01-07-2010, 05:06 PM
McGinn polled scouts to grade the NFCN and they loved Sitton, said Colledge was rock solid and didn't really like Wells. They also liked Clifton and Tausher. According to the scouts, the Pack has the best OL in the NFCN but it's a big tragedy to you.

The Packers had a 4,000 yard passer and 1200 yard rusher 2 years in a row. It's not perfect, but I think Packer fans greatly exaggerate the OL issues. Shocking that Wells is the top guy according to the Ted haters, but he's the worst according to the scouts. And funny how we've had 9 sacks in the last 7 games (on pace for 20 in a season) and are tearing it up in the run.

They started a little slow, but they're gelling right now. The only OL Sherman gave us in 4 years was Wells. Thompson has Sitton, Colledge, Spitz and maybe Lang as good players.

Some people's ability to ignore reality in favor of what they want to believe is shocking. The situation Sherman left (cap, aging players, contracts, young talent) was so horrendous that we're finally starting to dig out of that OL hole. Patler did a nice job explaining it the other day.

But why listen to scouts and the most respected poster here when we can forge our own fairytale and stand by it with the idiotic fervour and dedication of holy crusaders

You can't ignore that the OL was scary early season, no two ways about it. We're lucky Rodgers' head is still attached to his shoulders after the first quarter of the season. When Clifton went down, we had College at LT and Barbre at RT. It was looking really bad.

There's no doubt they turned it around though, and if the line isn't a strength, it's no longer the achilles heal it was Clifton got healthy (or, as healthy as that man will ever be) Tauscher came back, and Lang has emerged as a good backup/succession plan at one of the tackle positions.

But, we're in the playoffs, going to Arizona, all is forgiven!

:D

sharpe1027
01-07-2010, 05:32 PM
This is typically where Patler chimes in and says that NFL teams on average turn over half their rosters every 2.785 years. Of course I made that number up. But without knowing how fast rosters turn over on average, the original post is pretty meaningless.

The idea that the Packers can't afford to pay their players is completely ludicrous.

It is not your fault, the number is a moving target that is difficult to determine. Each time a guy is cut or every second someone is not cut....the number changes. Very difficult to track accurately.

Fritz
01-08-2010, 06:21 AM
Let me quote Patler regarding Ron Wolf's approach to roster turnover on the offensive line:

Chann: "I suppose then when people are clamoring for TT to resign all sorts of players that perhaps he will let some of them walk and we will all wonder why, only for a 2nd year player to fill his shoes."

Patler: "That happened regularly under Wolf, and particularly at guard and in the O-line generally. He always seemed to have another one ready to go, and was willing to go with a different starting combination almost every year. Aaron Taylor was drafted and after missing a season was ready to start. Harry Galbreath left and Adam Timmerman stepped in. Taylor left and Rivera was ready. Timmerman left and he had Verba and Wahle around. Verba was ultimately expendable because Wahle came around as a guard and Clifton was at LT. When Dotson faded, Tauscher stepped in."

One can conclude from this that roster turnover is part of life in the NFL and not just a result of Thompson's particular methods of acquiring players. One can also conclude that Packer1234 does not know that the Packers went 11-5 this year and are in the playoffs, and may not know that if Thompson were fired from Green Bay suddenly and ridiculously, he'd very likely have several GM gigs awaiting him as soon as word got out.

Gunakor
01-08-2010, 09:28 AM
He isn't taking care of his players...

Ask Ryan Grant, Greg Jennings, Donald Driver, Aaron Rodgers, Nick Barnett, Brandon Chillar, Justin Harrell, Will Blackmon, Al Harris, Jarrett Bush, or anyone else in that locker room whether or not TT takes care of his players. I think you'll find that to a man they all say you're wrong. Thompson is one of the best in the league at taking care of his own. Arguably one of the best cap guys in the league too. This is our squad for years to come. Nobody's going anywhere.

ThunderDan
01-08-2010, 09:36 AM

Ask Ryan Grant, Greg Jennings, Donald Driver, Aaron Rodgers, Nick Barnett, Brandon Chillar, Justin Harrell, Will Blackmon, Al Harris, Jarrett Bush, or anyone else in that locker room whether or not TT takes care of his players. I think you'll find that to a man they all say you're wrong. Thompson is one of the best in the league at taking care of his own. Arguably one of the best cap guys in the league too. This is our squad for years to come. Nobody's going anywhere.

I could easily see us lose 1 player a year over the next 4-5 years. You can only afford so many superstars on your teams, at least when a cap is in place. PITT has rookie starters every year. We are lucky to have TT drafting to find those replacements, no matter how much you want your whole team from last year back it will never happen.

We have locked up Rodgers, Jennings which really is our future on O.

ThunderDan
01-08-2010, 09:37 AM
And by 1 player a year I mean quality starters not the Swains of the world.

Gunakor
01-08-2010, 10:09 AM

I could easily see us lose 1 player a year over the next 4-5 years. You can only afford so many superstars on your teams, at least when a cap is in place. PITT has rookie starters every year. We are lucky to have TT drafting to find those replacements, no matter how much you want your whole team from last year back it will never happen.

We have locked up Rodgers, Jennings which really is our future on O.

Look at the contract numbers for Aaron Rodgers. We'll have one of the very best QB's in the entire league playing for a measly 6 million dollars in 2010. 7.5 in 2011. We actually gain nearly 5 million dollars from this year to next on Aaron's contract alone. That's our first 2 or 3 draft picks paid for right there. That's a contract extension for Nick Collins and Tramon Williams and the extra money given to Brandon Chillar. That could be a lot of things. I don't think we'll be losing too many players due to lack of funds anytime soon.

RashanGary
01-08-2010, 11:27 AM
I don't think we'll be losing too many players due to lack of funds anytime soon.

This is exactly it. We might be making either or decisions like the Steelers did a few years ago, keeping ward, letting Burris go.

I don't see us running into very many Rivera, Wahle, Flanagan issues where we have nothing behind the starter and no money to keep the starter, at least not anytime soon.

We're at a point where patience and good decisions are starting to accumulate. Budgets and caps impose a limit as to just how high it can go, but with the decisions Ted has made, he raised the ceiling. I think it's going to surprise some people like smidgeon just how much talent we cna afford to keep.

Smidgeon
01-08-2010, 12:04 PM
I don't think we'll be losing too many players due to lack of funds anytime soon.

This is exactly it. We might be making either or decisions like the Steelers did a few years ago, keeping ward, letting Burris go.

I don't see us running into very many Rivera, Wahle, Flanagan issues where we have nothing behind the starter and no money to keep the starter, at least not anytime soon.

We're at a point where patience and good decisions are starting to accumulate. Budgets and caps impose a limit as to just how high it can go, but with the decisions Ted has made, he raised the ceiling. I think it's going to surprise some people like smidgeon just how much talent we cna afford to keep.

Umm...come again? How did I get thrown into the salary cap discussion?

swede
01-08-2010, 12:07 PM
I think it's going to surprise some people like smidgeon just how much talent we cna afford to keep.

See...you ARE surprised.

Smidgeon
01-08-2010, 12:08 PM
I think it's going to surprise some people like smidgeon just how much talent we cna afford to keep.

See...you ARE surprised.

You're right. He got me on that one. :mrgreen:

Scott Campbell
01-08-2010, 12:09 PM

See...you ARE surprised.

It's about time he got dragged into the scrum.

Patler
01-08-2010, 12:11 PM

The D-line is what it was before TT showed up? Do you mean in personnel or in performance. The only hold-overs in the D-line are Jenkins and Kampman. Thompson managed to resign Kampman to a reasonable FA contract before the 2006 season, after having signed him as a RFA in 2005. He signed Jenkins before the 2007 season. While he wasn't responsible for getting either player originally, at least he managed to keep them in GB when each could have been pretty hot candidates in the market. The rest of the D-line, Pickett, Jolly, Raji, Montgomery, Wynn, Toribio, were all brought to GB by TT. As for performance, I think the line has played very well this year. Whether that is better than it was pre-TT doesn't mean much, as long as it performs well now. Personally, I think the D-line play this year has been better than I have seen in GB for some time.

Hawk isn't the impact player hoped for at #5, but TT can be criticized for that only if he by-passed a player to take Hawk. The mere fact that Hawk isn't what he was hoped to be isn't TT's fault. We should look at who TT should have taken instead, and that doesn't include the players who came from no where to excel. I can't blame TT for not taking a player that no one had at the top of their boards.

You will have to explain to me why it is that with the cap going away the Packers will not be able to sign players they could have last year or this. I do not understand your reasoning. Any money not spent on a new player contract presumably is still in the Packers hands. The salary cap is not money, its just an artificial number that contracts are structured to meet. It does not create cash for the team. If the full cap number is not "spent" real dollars are not taken away from the team. If you had $200 in 2009 and I said you could spend no more than $100 in 2009, but you really spent only $80 because you didn't buy a new cap, are you any less able to buy that cap in 2010?

As for Jennings, the Packers already signed him to a lucrative contract extension last June.

Not so in GB under TT.

Actually, TT has managed to quietly resign and improve contracts for lots of players over the last 5 years. He resigned or extended at least Franks in '05; Kampman in '06; Jenkins and Barnett in '07; Grant, Rodgers and Poppinga in '08; Jennings, Bush and Chiller in '09. He sweetened the contracts of at least Tauscher, Harris (twice) and Driver (I think twice, too). He brought in Pickett and Woodson as FAs of note. Sure, there are some expiring contracts to address, but that will always be the case. I expect Collins will get taken care of too. However, it takes two to agree. If Collins' agent was asking for a top 5 contract, I can fully understand the Packers waiting to see if 2008 was a one year performance, and how Collins would adjust to the new scheme. In essence, make sure he would be worth the money. Collins got a real nice bump in pay this year anyway ($2.5 million added) due to performance clauses in his original contract.

Smidgeon
01-08-2010, 12:14 PM

See...you ARE surprised.

I'll come a'swingin'!

Smidgeon
01-08-2010, 12:36 PM

My philosophy on cap management: I have none. I'm not an expert in contracts, signing bonuses, poison pills, player market value, competetive pricing in the professional markets, negotiating principles for scarce products, scouting reports for potential replacements, or even player management. I have opinions on irreplaceable value (Rodgers, Jennings, Clay Matthews, Collins, Woodson, etc), the replaceable value--ascending or descending--(Jolly, Pickett, Raji, Williams, Bigby, etc), and simply the replaceable (Bishop, Bush, Giordino, Poppinga, etc) of the players but not what it would cost to keep them or what value they would have in a trade.

I'm confident that GB now has the cap space to pay who they want to (Rodgers, Jennings) to competetive contracts, trade who they don't want (Williams, Walker), and cut the rest. That wasn't a luxury they had prior to TT cleaning up the roster.

I think, JH, where you and I differ is not on GB's capability to retain players, but which players are worth retaining. It's a very subjective field for those of us who don't study tape for a living (and even then it's subjective although an educated subjectivity).

So there. Neener, neener. :taunt:

get louder at lambeau
01-08-2010, 12:46 PM

I didn't get "pissed". I just responded in kind. I have no problem at all with people calling each other out.

Funny, I actually saw it the other way around- Admin was the one saying "there's no reason for the attitude" because I asked him what the fuck he was talking about in what seemed to me to be a nonsensical response. Anywho, that was in another thread.

Fritz
01-08-2010, 07:18 PM

The D-line is what it was before TT showed up? Do you mean in personnel or in performance. The only hold-overs in the D-line are Jenkins and Kampman. Thompson managed to resign Kampman to a reasonable FA contract before the 2006 season, after having signed him as a RFA in 2005. He signed Jenkins before the 2007 season. While he wasn't responsible for getting either player originally, at least he managed to keep them in GB when each could have been pretty hot candidates in the market. The rest of the D-line, Pickett, Jolly, Raji, Montgomery, Wynn, Toribio, were all brought to GB by TT. As for performance, I think the line has played very well this year. Whether that is better than it was pre-TT doesn't mean much, as long as it performs well now. Personally, I think the D-line play this year has been better than I have seen in GB for some time.

Hawk isn't the impact player hoped for at #5, but TT can be criticized for that only if he by-passed a player to take Hawk. The mere fact that Hawk isn't what he was hoped to be isn't TT's fault. We should look at who TT should have taken instead, and that doesn't include the players who came from no where to excel. I can't blame TT for not taking a player that no one had at the top of their boards.

You will have to explain to me why it is that with the cap going away the Packers will not be able to sign players they could have last year or this. I do not understand your reasoning. Any money not spent on a new player contract presumably is still in the Packers hands. The salary cap is not money, its just an artificial number that contracts are structured to meet. It does not create cash for the team. If the full cap number is not "spent" real dollars are not taken away from the team. If you had $200 in 2009 and I said you could spend no more than $100 in 2009, but you really spent only $80 because you didn't buy a new cap, are you any less able to buy that cap in 2010?

As for Jennings, the Packers already signed him to a lucrative contract extension last June.

Not so in GB under TT.

Actually, TT has managed to quietly resign and improve contracts for lots of players over the last 5 years. He resigned or extended at least Franks in '05; Kampman in '06; Jenkins and Barnett in '07; Grant, Rodgers and Poppinga in '08; Jennings, Bush and Chiller in '09. He sweetened the contracts of at least Tauscher, Harris (twice) and Driver (I think twice, too). He brought in Pickett and Woodson as FAs of note. Sure, there are some expiring contracts to address, but that will always be the case. I expect Collins will get taken care of too. However, it takes two to agree. If Collins' agent was asking for a top 5 contract, I can fully understand the Packers waiting to see if 2008 was a one year performance, and how Collins would adjust to the new scheme. In essence, make sure he would be worth the money. Collins got a real nice bump in pay this year anyway ($2.5 million added) due to performance clauses in his original contract.

Thank you, Patler. Long live reason.

Packerarcher
01-10-2010, 05:57 PM
This team today proves more than anything that TT is a fucking moron and needs to go.

MOBB DEEP
01-10-2010, 06:04 PM
This team today proves more than anything that TT is a fucking moron and needs to go.

lol lol lol...at least you arent knee jerk

all ima say is Aaron is a frickn STUD; i know, duh.....but still

Spaulding
01-10-2010, 06:27 PM

How the heck does today's performance have much to do with TT? It's on Dom Capers and the defensive players as much as anything.

Nice post.

ThunderDan
01-10-2010, 07:30 PM

Axe to grind??? Give it a rest!!! We have a young stud at QB and not a 40 year old who will retire in the next 1 -3 years.

Brandon494
01-10-2010, 07:31 PM

This post proves more than anything that Packerarcher is a fucking moroon and needs to go

MichiganPackerFan
01-12-2010, 09:42 AM

Ask Ryan Grant, Greg Jennings, Donald Driver, Aaron Rodgers, Nick Barnett, Brandon Chillar, Justin Harrell, Will Blackmon, Al Harris, Jarrett Bush, or anyone else in that locker room whether or not TT takes care of his players. ...

Hell, even ask Collins in a year or so. Ask Al Harris who got a well earned mid-contract increase.

MichiganPackerFan
01-12-2010, 09:45 AM

See...you ARE surprised.

Yeah!!! We'll drag him down yet!!! Get 'im!

Smidgeon
01-12-2010, 10:18 AM

See...you ARE surprised.

Yeah!!! We'll drag him down yet!!! Get 'im!

Give me your best shot. I'm waiting. ;)

Bossman641
01-12-2010, 11:25 AM

This post proves more than anything that Packerarcher is a fucking moroon and needs to go

Seconded