PDA

View Full Version : Woodson finally reciprocating the love

denverYooper
01-07-2010, 08:00 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=cr-woodsongreenbay010610&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Pretty good article on CWood. Most of it's known stuff, but a good read nonetheless.

mission
01-07-2010, 08:08 AM
"Finally"!!

Smidgeon
01-07-2010, 08:21 AM
My favorite lines:

And four years later? What has his legacy become? Woodson smiles.

"I think people will only remember me as a Packer," he says.

mraynrand
01-07-2010, 08:37 AM
My favorite lines:

And four years later? What has his legacy become? Woodson smiles.

"I think people will only remember me as a Packer," he says.

It will be hard for me to forget what he did for Michigan, being a big fan of that team, and it will be hard to forget the tuck rule play. Other than that, yep - Wood will be in the Packer HOF and hopefully the NFL one too.

Guiness
01-07-2010, 09:06 AM
The article again talks about there being NOTHING else on the table for Woodson.

I'm still surprised by that. When we signed him, I thought it was too much for what he'd contributed over the 2 years before, and was happy when I saw how much of a 'pay as you go' type contract it was. I thought there had to be other offers made to him, just none as potentially lucrative, but it keeps being said that there was nothing else at all.

Did Oakland even attempt to keep him around?

mraynrand
01-07-2010, 09:10 AM
The article again talks about there being NOTHING else on the table for Woodson.

I'm still surprised by that. When we signed him, I thought it was too much for what he'd contributed over the 2 years before, and was happy when I saw how much of a 'pay as you go' type contract it was. I thought there had to be other offers made to him, just none as potentially lucrative, but it keeps being said that there was nothing else at all.

I thought one other team (Tampa?) wanted him, but wanted him to play safety. Green Bay said you will play corner - that's what Woodson wanted.

get louder at lambeau
01-07-2010, 09:51 AM

I thought one other team (Tampa?) wanted him, but wanted him to play safety. Green Bay said you will play corner - that's what Woodson wanted.

GB also saif they'd give him a shot returning punts and possibly let him play some receiver.

Fosco33
01-07-2010, 10:34 AM
Do you think we can give some former FAs who were initially hesitant coming to GB a small consultant pay to talk with future FAs in the same boat? It seems the list is long enough (Desmond Howard, Andre Rison, Koren Robinson, Charles Woodson, etc.). Powerful stuff you'd think...

mraynrand
01-07-2010, 10:42 AM
Do you think we can give some former FAs who were initially hesitant coming to GB a small consultant pay to talk with future FAs in the same boat? It seems the list is long enough (Desmond Howard, Andre Rison, Koren Robinson, Charles Woodson, etc.). Powerful stuff you'd think...

I'm sure they can just talk to Favre.

Bossman641
01-07-2010, 10:44 AM

GB also saif they'd give him a shot returning punts and possibly let him play some receiver.

Yep. TB wanted him but wanted to move him to safety. I'm pretty sure he went there a good week or 2 before he visited GB.

boiga
01-07-2010, 11:24 AM
Stuff like this make me gratified that I gifted myself a Woodson jersey for xmas. If this post season goes well, Woodson could be remembered as one of the great packer defenders of all time. A Reggie White for our era.

mission
01-07-2010, 11:38 AM

If that's not a who's who list of FA's finest I don't know what is! :P

denverYooper
01-07-2010, 11:47 AM
Stuff like this make me gratified that I gifted myself a Woodson jersey for xmas. If this post season goes well, Woodson could be remembered as one of the great packer defenders of all time. A Reggie White for our era.

I've thought about that too, boiga. He's the guy on this team's D that the opposition has to plan around. Huge, IMHO.

packers11
01-07-2010, 12:09 PM
Deion: Revis great, Packers' Woodson better

By MARK HALE

Last Updated: 10:06 AM, January 7, 2010

Posted: 2:04 AM, January 7, 2010

Deion Sanders has to admit it. In his eyes, Darrelle Revis falls short to Charles Woodson for the NFL’s Defensive Player of the Year.

Revis is the Jets’ otherworldly star cornerback, having notched his second straight Pro Bowl selection and having earned the Jets’ team-voted MVP. Sanders, arguably the greatest cornerback of all time, said he and Revis communicate every week. He gushed about him, calling him the sport’s best cornerback.

Just not its defensive player of this season.

“I think [Packers cornerback] Charles Woodson should be Defensive Player of the Year,” Sanders, who works as an NFL Network analyst, told The Post yesterday.

“I think Revis is going to be the best corner in the game for years. But honestly this year, right here, Charles Woodson has made a lot of plays, man.”

There’s no question that Woodson has a strong case — statistically he has a stronger one than Revis. Woodson has more tackles (74 to 71), sacks (two to zero), forced fumbles (four to zero), interceptions (nine to six), interception return yardage (179 to 121) and return touchdowns (three to one).

Revis, however, has faced an absolute slew of elite receivers — Houston’s Andre Johnson, New England’s Randy Moss (twice), Buffalo’s Terrell Owens (twice), Carolina’s Steve Smith, Atlanta’s Roddy White and Cincinnati’s Chad Ochocinco (in case you hadn’t heard). Woodson’s opponents included Ochocinco, Minnesota’s Sidney Rice (twice) and Detroit’s Calvin Johnson, but little else.

Still, Sanders noted that Woodson returns his interceptions for scores and thinks he should be the fifth corner to win Defensive Player of the Year, following Mel Blount (1975), Lester Hayes (1980), Rod Woodson (1993) and Sanders (1994).

pack4to84
01-07-2010, 12:19 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-films-anatomy-of-a-play/09000d5d8158cbd8/Anatomy-of-a-Play-Green-Bay-Packers
very end Woodson talking to Rodgers said "I'm thinking Super Bowl I dont what your thinking but I'm thinking Super Bowl"

Fosco33
01-07-2010, 12:43 PM

If that's not a who's who list of FA's finest I don't know what is! :P

It's a short list for sure!

At least Desmond is a SuperBowl MVP and media whore.

Andre Rison had a good season after some questionable issues in ATL.

And we all know about Koren...

Fosco33
01-07-2010, 12:44 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-films-anatomy-of-a-play/09000d5d8158cbd8/Anatomy-of-a-Play-Green-Bay-Packers
very end Woodson talking to Rodgers said "I'm thinking Super Bowl I dont what your thinking but I'm thinking Super Bowl"

I watched that yesterday... was that the scene with Harris in uniform - it looked like it was preseason discussion...

Def has the feel of a SB team.

denverYooper
01-07-2010, 12:44 PM

They showed the play he got the cheapo PI call on vs. the Vikes :lol:.