PDA

View Full Version : Cribbs is crying

Guiness
01-07-2010, 09:29 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Amf4SmuB4hvHo1tu_qDKVaEdsLYF?slug=ap-browns-cribbs&prov=ap&type=lgns

CLEVELAND (AP)—Pro Bowler Josh Cribbs believes it is “unlikely” he’ll play another game for the Cleveland Browns. Insulted by the Browns’ latest contract offer, Cribbs intends to clean out his locker.

“It’s unlikely the way they’re talking right now,” said Cribbs, stung by the team’s latest $1.4 million annual offer. “I’m hurt because I don’t want to play for nobody else. But the way they’re talking, they’re leaving me no choice.”

Cribbs, who sat courtside at Wednesday night’s Cleveland Cavaliers game, was the Browns’ most valuable and popular player this season. He played wide receiver, quarterback and returned and covered kickoffs and punts. The former college QB also set the NFL career record for most kickoff returns for touchdowns.

“The season is over, so I doubt they’ll take me seriously now,” Cribbs said. “That’s what I get for playing hard for my team. I don’t want to come off as greedy, I just want what’s fair. They’re going to do this to me?”

Agent Peter Schaffer said that the Browns failed to live up to previous promises they made to Cribbs. Schaffer said there is “no more middle ground” and that he is “extremely shocked” that new president Mike Holmgren would not understand Cribbs’ value to the Browns.

“I have tremendous respect for Mike Holmgren,” Schaffer said. “I know he knows how to put a team together. I was optimistic that with him coming aboard that he would understand and that Josh would be rewarded. To see there is no change in their position is insulting.”

Schaffer said he gave the Browns until the end of the business day to come up with a better deal than the $1.4 million per year they offered. Cribbs has three years remaining on a six-year, $6.77 million deal.

But Schaffer said Dawn Aponte, the team’s vice president of football administration who handles contract negotiations, did not get back to him. The Browns could be excused with more pressing issues since Holmgren just took over on Tuesday and is in the process of deciding whether to bring back coach Eric Mangini.

Cribbs said last month that the team had promised to give him a new contract by the end of the season. Even in the days leading up to Cleveland’s season finale against Jacksonville, Cribbs remained optimistic that something would get done.

Not anymore.

“I did all the playing I’m going to play on this contract,” he said. “I ain’t doing nothing, I’m not showing my face until it’s right.”

Schaffer and Cribbs’ other agent, J.R. Rickert, said they did not want to take things public, but that the team left them no choice.

“He’s not playing there anymore after getting treated that way,” Rickert said in a text message.

On Tuesday, Holmgren said he had contact with Cribbs’ representatives when he was at home in Arizona. He intimated that he planned to take care of Cribbs, but only after fair negotiations.

“I believe players should be rewarded for what they do,” he said. “I have no problems with that at all. What happens though on occasion is our view of how much that should be and the agent’s view of how much that should be differs. We have made an effort.

“We will continue to make an effort to handle Josh’s situation. I want Josh here.”

AP freelance writer Jason Lloyd contributed to this report.

No surprise, and obviously some posturing going on here.

But the guy's got 3 years left on his contract, there's not much he can do, I'd guess. Try and force a trade? If Cleveland wants him in their uniform next year, he'll be there. Sure, he's outplayed his contract, but I don't see that the Browns have to give him anything at all.

hoosier
01-07-2010, 09:51 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Amf4SmuB4hvHo1tu_qDKVaEdsLYF?slug=ap-browns-cribbs&prov=ap&type=lgns

CLEVELAND (AP)—Pro Bowler Josh Cribbs believes it is “unlikely” he’ll play another game for the Cleveland Browns. Insulted by the Browns’ latest contract offer, Cribbs intends to clean out his locker.

“It’s unlikely the way they’re talking right now,” said Cribbs, stung by the team’s latest $1.4 million annual offer. “I’m hurt because I don’t want to play for nobody else. But the way they’re talking, they’re leaving me no choice.”

Cribbs, who sat courtside at Wednesday night’s Cleveland Cavaliers game, was the Browns’ most valuable and popular player this season. He played wide receiver, quarterback and returned and covered kickoffs and punts. The former college QB also set the NFL career record for most kickoff returns for touchdowns.

“The season is over, so I doubt they’ll take me seriously now,” Cribbs said. “That’s what I get for playing hard for my team. I don’t want to come off as greedy, I just want what’s fair. They’re going to do this to me?”

Agent Peter Schaffer said that the Browns failed to live up to previous promises they made to Cribbs. Schaffer said there is “no more middle ground” and that he is “extremely shocked” that new president Mike Holmgren would not understand Cribbs’ value to the Browns.

“I have tremendous respect for Mike Holmgren,” Schaffer said. “I know he knows how to put a team together. I was optimistic that with him coming aboard that he would understand and that Josh would be rewarded. To see there is no change in their position is insulting.”

Schaffer said he gave the Browns until the end of the business day to come up with a better deal than the $1.4 million per year they offered. Cribbs has three years remaining on a six-year, $6.77 million deal.

But Schaffer said Dawn Aponte, the team’s vice president of football administration who handles contract negotiations, did not get back to him. The Browns could be excused with more pressing issues since Holmgren just took over on Tuesday and is in the process of deciding whether to bring back coach Eric Mangini.

Cribbs said last month that the team had promised to give him a new contract by the end of the season. Even in the days leading up to Cleveland’s season finale against Jacksonville, Cribbs remained optimistic that something would get done.

Not anymore.

“I did all the playing I’m going to play on this contract,” he said. “I ain’t doing nothing, I’m not showing my face until it’s right.”

Schaffer and Cribbs’ other agent, J.R. Rickert, said they did not want to take things public, but that the team left them no choice.

“He’s not playing there anymore after getting treated that way,” Rickert said in a text message.

On Tuesday, Holmgren said he had contact with Cribbs’ representatives when he was at home in Arizona. He intimated that he planned to take care of Cribbs, but only after fair negotiations.

“I believe players should be rewarded for what they do,” he said. “I have no problems with that at all. What happens though on occasion is our view of how much that should be and the agent’s view of how much that should be differs. We have made an effort.

“We will continue to make an effort to handle Josh’s situation. I want Josh here.”

But the guy's got 3 years left on his contract, there's not much he can do, I'd guess. Try and force a trade? If Cleveland wants him in their uniform next year, he'll be there. Sure, he's outplayed his contract, but I don't see that the Browns have to give him anything at all.

Well, yes and no. If Cribbs really has three years remaining on his deal then it's true that they can force his hand and he has very little bargaining power. But no GM or coach in his right mind wants to leave one of his best players feeling alienated and slighted, or create the impression among other players--ones that could choose not to re-sign with the Browns--that they will not be justly compensated if they outperform their contracts.

When a contract situation gets to the point where reasonable observers see a player as drastically underpaid, that can never be in the team's best interest. Maybe thirty years ago before the age of FA it wouldn't have mattered as much, but today there is no way Holmgren makes Cribbs play out that contract.

ThunderDan
01-07-2010, 10:11 AM

Not anymore.

Yeah, Cleveland can "screw" him if they want and all Cribbs can do is sit out. The problem is Cribbs was the only person on the Browns team that gave them a spark. If I was GB I would offer a 2nd rounder for Cribbs. He would be the perfect compliment to Grant. Plus he would take over for Jordy on kicks and the oft-injuried Blackmon on punts. He could also run the wildcat for 2 plays a game.

mraynrand
01-07-2010, 10:46 AM
In a land of blind people, the one with sight is king.

Guiness
01-07-2010, 11:01 AM
Tough situation. I agree that Cleveland doesn't want to so drastically underpay their best player, but there are two problems as I see them.

1. Cribbs has to give them something back. If he's asking for mucho more money, but doesn't want to add (significant) years, why would Cleveland to it?

2. Returners have a notoriouly short shelf life. See Hall, Dante or that guy from Chicago. Does he have a real position on the O? This might also fold into the first, where Cleveland doesn't want him for more than 3 more years.

I think they make him play one more year under his contract, maybe throw him a workout bonus of a million or something.

BlueBrewer
01-07-2010, 11:04 AM
In a land of blind people, the one with sight is king.

The man with one eye is king.

Scott Campbell
01-07-2010, 11:06 AM

Unfortunately Packer fans know all too well how much leverage players under contract really have. See Javon Walker and Mike McKenzie.

KYPack
01-07-2010, 11:24 AM
These kind of deals are sort of "fun" for the fans. They can piss and moan at a number of villans and basically be "right". Pick anybody and you can make him (or 'it') look like a real jerk-off.

The Browns
Holmgren
Cribbs
The agents

The villain here is also the NFL for setting up the strangest compensation system known to man. Cibbs wasn't drafted highly at a marginal position. His contract is sparse, but that isn't anybodies fault, it's the way things go in the NFL.

I'll pick the agents. They are playing the only card left to them, the old "re-write the deal" trick. That's the weakest hand in the deck, but that's all that's available to Cribbs. These agents were probably pretty happy to get a ST guy a $2,000,000 SB of few years ago, but that's chicken feed now. So they cry about the injustice of the whole thing.

Screw them.

That all said, Cribbs is one tough ballplayer. He's a big burly sumbitch. He tough, strong, and fast. He's like having 12 guys on your PR team. He can break at tackle at the contact point and still out-run everybody to the house. He's also the perfect wildcat guy. He can run really well at the LOS. An ex college QB, he can pass the ball a bit, too. I'd say the Browns have to make an accommodation and get him under their tent. They just don't have much talent on that team.

RashanGary
01-07-2010, 11:34 AM
The Packers helped out Grant, Harris and Tauscher when they didn't have to. That's a horrible contract for Cribbs. I think giving him an extra million or two per year would still be a STEAL and it would show that they appreciate what he brings to the table while still not giving him a big deal.

They don't HAVE to do anything, but when a player is that good and is making that little, I don't know, why not give in a little. It should still be team friendly, but not as insulting as the 1.4 he's getting now.

Smidgeon
01-07-2010, 11:37 AM
The Packers helped out Grant, Harris and Tauscher when they didn't have to. That's a horrible contract for Cribbs. I think giving him an extra million or two per year would still be a STEAL and it would show that they appreciate what he brings to the table while still not giving him a big deal.

They don't HAVE to do anything, but when a player is that good and is making that little, I don't know, why not give in a little. It should still be team friendly, but not as insulting as the 1.4 he's getting now.

I'd be happy to be insulted by 1.4 million dollars per year.

RashanGary
01-07-2010, 11:39 AM
The Packers could have hard balled Greg Jennings for 2 years before he became unrestricted and then used tags, but why do that?

Cribbs is in a worse spot than Jennings, but they don't have to pay him like Jennings either. I don't think he's asking for all that.

RashanGary
01-07-2010, 11:40 AM

You're not worth 7 million though.

RashanGary
01-07-2010, 11:47 AM
I kind of like what the Packers have been doing when they have leverage.

Rather than ripping the player off completely, they pay him fairly but put restrictions on. If a guy is an unrestricted free agent, he ends up getting a lot of guaranteed cash. When the Packers have leverage, they still offer a darn good deal to the player, but it's only good if they perform to the level they're asking.

I thought Grant got way too much, but looking back, I like the way it is structured. IF he underperforms, he gets paid accordingly. If he performs, he gets paid well, but not overboard.

The difference between Grant's contract and that of an unrestricted free agent, is the UFA doesn't have to perform and a whole boatload is guaranteed. Grant only gets his if he plays really well. The team gets more years of the players career, a happy player and lessened risk if he doesn't pan out. The player gets more money early IF he plays well.

If the player doesn't play well, he can't complain. If he does play well, he can't complain because he's getting paid well even though not as overboard as some. If we just lowballed Grant, the situaiton would get ugly. Because we worked with him, we have a great situation with almost no risk if he flames out.

RashanGary
01-07-2010, 11:50 AM
I'd offer Cribbs a 6 year deal worth 38 million if he meets elite numbers, 32 if he meets probowl numbers. 24 if he plays out the minimum contract and also make it easy to cut him if he doesn't pan out..

Smidgeon
01-07-2010, 11:51 AM

You're not worth 7 million though.

To the NFL or in general?

RashanGary
01-07-2010, 12:18 PM

Congrats if you're worth 7 mil :)

Smidgeon
01-07-2010, 12:35 PM

Man, I'd like to be worth 7 million. Someday.

hoosier
01-07-2010, 03:05 PM
I'd offer Cribbs a 6 year deal worth 38 million if he meets elite numbers, 32 if he meets probowl numbers. 24 if he plays out the minimum contract and also make it easy to cut him if he doesn't pan out..

From Cribbs' perspective the problem with that would be that he is never going to have "elite numbers" because of what he does. His main value to the Browns is returning kicks and adding unpredictability to an otherwise pretty dull offense: a threat to run reverses, screens, and whatnot. He is never going to put up numbers to compete with a #1 RB or WR. So you can't really put him in the same kind of incentive structure that a #1 back would fit into.

MJZiggy
01-07-2010, 07:56 PM

I'm worth 7 mil. I just wish someone'd notice...

RashanGary
01-07-2010, 08:36 PM

ty does. A little carmel and Bretsky would too :)

Smidgeon
01-07-2010, 08:41 PM

Touche.

MJZiggy
01-07-2010, 08:51 PM

ty does. A little carmel and Bretsky would too :)Not without the apple...

Bretsky
01-07-2010, 10:04 PM
Carmel on Apples are overrated; few things beat Carmel when it's used right though :lol: