PDA

View Full Version : Seahawks Fire Jim Mora

pbmax
01-08-2010, 12:37 PM
Didn't see this coming without a new GM yet. PFT has it.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/08/seahawks-fire-jim-mora/

Lurker64
01-08-2010, 12:41 PM
A bit of a surprise. Everybody knew this team was going to be bad this year, I wonder why Mora got fired.

hurleyfan
01-08-2010, 12:43 PM
Wow, that is a surprise.. too bad...

No GM & no Coach??

Patler
01-08-2010, 12:44 PM
Didn't see this coming without a new GM yet. PFT has it.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/08/seahawks-fire-jim-mora/

That is a surprise. Wasn't he actually hired and named as Holmgren's successor a year before Holmgren retired? He was brought in for Holmgren's lame duck season to "prepare" in the transition from Holmgren. Then he is given only one injury-riddled season to perform???

hoosier
01-08-2010, 12:45 PM
Prelude to the Seahawks making a big hire? Bill Cowher, anyone?

Patler
01-08-2010, 12:47 PM
It does make you wonder if they have a deal in place with someone to wear both hats, so they needed to get rid of Mora first. Or, they have a GM in mind who doesn't want Mora, so they are cleaning house for him in advance of announcing the hire, giving him a clean slate to hire his own coach without the dirty work of firing the old one.

pbmax
01-08-2010, 01:14 PM
Yes, he was the HC-In Waiting. But that may have been Tim Ruskell's idea and Leiweke doesn't feel bound by it. The only thing I have read about Seattle is that they were interviewing GM candidates. No mention of Cowher, and he is the only one left with leverage to control the whole ball of wax. Outside chance Gruden might have that kind of pull.

New power guy is Seahawks CEO Ted Leiweke. He is Paul Allen's CEO of Vulcan Sports and Entertainment, the Allen outfit that manages his sports teams. And the latest info was that Seattle had reduced the GM interview pool to four.

ProFootballTalk[/b] (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/07/uncertainty-reigns-in-seattle/)]The G.M. search has been trimmed to four, according to Jason LaCanfora of NFL Network: Baltimore's Eric DeCosta, Green Bay's John Schneider, Arizona's Steve Keim, and Eagles G.M. Tom Heckert.

TennesseePackerBacker
01-08-2010, 02:10 PM

Cowher is probably gonna wait it another year. ESPN is saying they are targeting Pete Carroll

swede
01-08-2010, 03:28 PM

Cowher is probably gonna wait it another year. ESPN is saying they are targeting Pete Carroll

I didn't think that Pete Carroll would ever leave USC because of the way the fish have been jumping into his boat recruiting-wise. This year, though, his program dropped back down to earth, so maybe he'd give the pros another think-think. But given his access to a talent stream that gives him a competitive advantage over 95% of his peers I do not know why he'd leave a program which has lifted him to great fame and significant fortune to return to a league which had made him seem like Just A Guy, head coach-wise.

Tyrone Bigguns
01-08-2010, 03:34 PM

I didn't think that Pete Carroll would ever leave USC because of the way the fish have been jumping into his boat recruiting-wise. This year, though, his program dropped back down to earth, so maybe he'd give the pros another think-think. But given his access to a talent stream that gives him a competitive advantage over 95% of his peers I do not know why he'd leave a program which has lifted him to great fame and significant fortune to return to a league which had made him seem like Just A Guy, head coach-wise.

The fish don't jump into the boat.

:oops:

swede
01-08-2010, 03:43 PM

Literally, they often do. Figuratively I think they do as well. When a back-up quarterback at USC gets drafted and plays in the NFL it seems that the recruiting job would get a little easier for Pete. Basically he just asks, "Are you coming or not?"

Patler
01-08-2010, 03:49 PM

Not following the Asian carp problem?. :lol:

Lurker64
01-08-2010, 03:54 PM

I think Carroll's angle is that he resents the fact that his tenure as an NFL coach was widely viewed as an unmitigated failure and wants to correct the perception that he can't coach in the pros. Considering that USC may be a couple years away from national significance, what better time to leave would there be than now? Especially since he'd get to stay on the west coast.

Scott Campbell
01-08-2010, 03:57 PM
Carroll paid his players more than most NFL teams.

retailguy
01-08-2010, 03:59 PM
I guess Mora can spend some time seeking his "dream job" now. Of course, he'll have to kill Steve Sarkisian, but that's a small price to pay to attain your dream job, right? :shock:

Guiness
01-08-2010, 04:27 PM

Literally, they often do. Figuratively I think they do as well. When a back-up quarterback at USC gets drafted and plays in the NFL it seems that the recruiting job would get a little easier for Pete. Basically he just asks, "Are you coming or not?"

And three starting LB's all go first round and start in the NFL...

HarveyWallbangers
01-08-2010, 04:30 PM
Where's the outrage? Like Ray Rhodes, Mora only got one year before getting fired. Mangini is likely to follow him.

mraynrand
01-08-2010, 04:41 PM
Carroll paid his players more than most NFL teams.

Did someone mention my name?

http://z.about.com/d/cleveland/1/0/R/V/-/-/cribbs.jpg

mraynrand
01-08-2010, 04:42 PM
Where's the outrage? Like Ray Rhodes, Mora only got one year before getting fired. Mangini is likely to follow him.

What choo talkin' about, Harv?

http://www.virginmedia.com/images/gary-coleman-g.jpg

KYPack
01-08-2010, 06:10 PM

And three starting LB's all go first round and start in the NFL...

Close.

Ray Malaleuga was a high 2 by the Bengals.
Kieth Rivers was a #1 by the Bengals the previous year and started immediatley, so your statement is true from that perspective.

Fritz
01-08-2010, 07:08 PM
It does make you wonder if they have a deal in place with someone to wear both hats, so they needed to get rid of Mora first. Or, they have a GM in mind who doesn't want Mora, so they are cleaning house for him in advance of announcing the hire, giving him a clean slate to hire his own coach without the dirty work of firing the old one.

The latter.

Joemailman
01-08-2010, 07:14 PM
All indications are that Carroll will be running the whole show.

Fritz
01-08-2010, 07:24 PM

Oh, yes they do, Ty. Yes they do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mApJSQfl6g&feature=related