PDA

View Full Version : PICKETT...PACK TALKING NEW CONTRACT

Bretsky
01-09-2010, 01:25 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/81050622.html

BF4MVP
01-09-2010, 02:11 AM
Good to hear. I've been hopin' they keep Pickett around.

Gunakor
01-09-2010, 02:17 AM
Before the season started I was skeptical of Pickett on the nose, and was one who was hoping he wouldn't be resigned so Raji could assume that role full time. After seeing Pickett hold the point at a high level on a consistent basis this season I'm excited to see Thompson and Pickett working on an extension. Ryan has definitely impressed me this year.

Patler
01-09-2010, 03:48 AM
The last half of the article has quotes from Colledge about his situation. Seems to have a bit of an attitude. He complains about the team perhaps taking advantage of a "loophole" and treating him as an RFA rather than extending him long term. Not much of a loophole when it is a clearly expressed provision of the CBA.

I have a feeling he might be a player the Packers do not try real hard to keep, long term. When he becomes an UFA, they will offer him a deal that he will consider "lowball". He might very well receive better offers elsewhere. He is capable of doing somethings most linemen can't, but he is just too inconsistent to be a top dollar player in my mind.

Before he was injured, several writers identified Spitz as the lineman the Packers were most interested in signing first. I expect now he will be treated as a RFA until he proves he is recovered from his back surgery.

RashanGary
01-09-2010, 08:59 AM
I'm pretty patient compared to many, but there are times (like this for instance) where I think something should have been done sooner.

One dimensional run stoppers don't tend to break the bank (injury concerns, pass rush limitations, etc). Pickett is having good communication with our front office. That keeps us in the discussion and makes sure someone doesn't just steal him from under our noses. When I disagree with Thompson, he usually proves me wrong so we'll see. I don't want to lose Pickett.

Patler
01-09-2010, 09:52 AM
I'm pretty patient compared to many, but there are times (like this for instance) where I think something should have been done sooner.

One dimensional run stoppers don't tend to break the bank (injury concerns, pass rush limitations, etc). Pickett is having good communication with our front office. That keeps us in the discussion and makes sure someone doesn't just steal him from under our noses. When I disagree with Thompson, he usually proves me wrong so we'll see. I don't want to lose Pickett.

Pickett said his wife really wanted to come to GB after visiting there. In an interview once, he quipped that he had no say in the matter after she made up her mind. Hopefully, she still likes it there.

mission
01-09-2010, 09:54 AM
Good about Pickett. Can never have enough good big men ... and he's a good big man!!

Colledge OTOH ... I don't like his attitude in this article. He's been serviceable, and probably deserving of increased compensation of some sort, but I don't think he's in any position to be pushing media buttons and all that. Never been his biggest fan, think he spends too much time in the tattoo parlor than in the weight room (sleeves take a LONG time to tattoo!).

mission
01-09-2010, 09:55 AM

Pickett said his wife really wanted to come to GB after visiting there. In an interview once, he quipped that he had no say in the matter after she made up her mind. Hopefully, she still likes it there.

I love the fact that they live year-round in De Pere. Didn't know that.

Joemailman
01-09-2010, 10:11 AM
The last half of the article has quotes from Colledge about his situation. Seems to have a bit of an attitude. He complains about the team perhaps taking advantage of a "loophole" and treating him as an RFA rather than extending him long term. Not much of a loophole when it is a clearly expressed provision of the CBA.

I have a feeling he might be a player the Packers do not try real hard to keep, long term. When he becomes an UFA, they will offer him a deal that he will consider "lowball". He might very well receive better offers elsewhere. He is capable of doing somethings most linemen can't, but he is just too inconsistent to be a top dollar player in my mind.

Before he was injured, several writers identified Spitz as the lineman the Packers were most interested in signing first. I expect now he will be treated as a RFA until he proves he is recovered from his back surgery.

A couple of things are working against Colledge here. The fact that he struggled at LT when Clifton was injured hurts his value. He's probably seen as strictly a LG or possibly RT now. The other is that many feel that T.J. Lang's best position is LG, so the Packers may already have Colledge's heir apparent. Of all the Packers set to become either RFA's or UFA's, Colledge may be the easiest to replace.

vince
01-09-2010, 10:27 AM
Hope Pickett deal gets done. That's a big piece of the d-line.

I bet they wait on Colledge perhaps the longest of them all - well into next season, as his value may be highly dependent on what the next draft brings and how they pan out. Right now, there's a numbers issue along the o-line. Cliffy and Tausch are going into UFA this offseason, so there are some serious questions that only time will answer. They may need Lang at tackle, which would make Colledge a much bigger need.

All in all, I'd prefer to see Lang at RG, Cliffy and Tausch re-upped, a premium LT prospect fall to us in the 1st round, and a 3rd or 4th round RT prospect to groom form the 2010 draft. If all that happened, Thompson would probably let Colledge walk. After seeing what Lange has, I like him better long-term than Colledge at RG.

BallHawk
01-09-2010, 10:41 AM
Ok. Once we get this done with Picket can we PLEASE start talking to Nick? I don't want Darren Sharper polluting the young kid's mind down in Miami with talk of making big money elsewhere. I know we aint gonna get anything done, but it'd be good if Ted at least told Collins' agent "we're gonna take of it after the season."

Patler
01-09-2010, 10:45 AM

I bet they wait on Colledge perhaps the longest of them all, as his value may be highly dependent on what the next draft brings. Right now, there's a numbers issue along the o-line. Cliffy and Tausch are going into UFA this offseason, so there are some serious questions that only time will answer. They may need Lang at tackle, which would make Colledge a much bigger need.

Colledge's situation might depend somewhat on the prognosis for Spitz, too. He could factor into the guard situation. I've also heard they are quite high on Dietrich-Smith as a G/C. If nothing gets settled on the CBA, I would not be surprised if the Packers try to make both Spitz and Colledge play for their RFA contracts, then sort it all out in a year.

Scott Campbell
01-09-2010, 10:46 AM

I bet they wait on Colledge perhaps the longest of them all, as his value may be highly dependent on what the next draft brings. Right now, there's a numbers issue along the o-line. Cliffy and Tausch are going into UFA this offseason, so there are some serious questions that only time will answer. They may need Lang at tackle, which would make Colledge a much bigger need.

Colledge's situation might depend somewhat on the prognosis for Spitz, too. He could factor into the guard situation. I've also heard they are quite high on Dietrich-Smith as a G/C. If nothing gets settled on the CBA, I would not be surprised if the Packers try to make both Spitz and Colledge play for their RFA contracts, then sort it all out in a year.

I don't see them trying to draft or sign a guard this year. They've got bigger fish to fry on the line at the Tackle positions.

vince
01-09-2010, 10:49 AM

Easyt to see why he's so insecure about the whole situation.

Fritz
01-09-2010, 10:51 AM
Good comments, all. Unless Vince really does mean right guard when he typed "RG" instead of left guard, which I suspect is what he meant.

So I agree with the posters here so far. I would add that this is another piece of evidence that supports the contention that Thompson is most interested in working first with the "for sure" UFA guys, like Pickett, then moving to the possibly-UFA-guys-depending-on-the-CBA players like Colledge.

This would explain why Nick Collins's agent has not appear to have been contacted yet, and I hope my post will forestall the knee-jerk "Why isn't Thompson signing Collins right now?" reaction that this article might otherwise garner.

vince
01-09-2010, 10:53 AM
Good comments, all. Unless Vince really does mean right guard when he typed "RG" instead of left guard, which I suspect is what he meant.

So I agree with the posters here so far. I would add that this is another piece of evidence that supports the contention that Thompson is most interested in working first with the "for sure" UFA guys, like Pickett, then moving to the possibly-UFA-guys-depending-on-the-CBA players like Colledge.

This would explain why Nick Collins's agent has not appear to have been contacted yet, and I hope my post will forestall the knee-jerk "Why isn't Thompson signing Collins right now?" reaction that this article might otherwise garner.
Yeah I meant LG. Thanks for catching that Fritz.

Fritz
01-09-2010, 10:55 AM
I thought as much, and I do agree with your post, Vince.

Colledge may get an offer but it'd be on Green Bay's terms. I think he'll end up somewhere else either next year or the year after.

3irty1
01-09-2010, 11:32 AM
I think College ought to be retained if possible. The offense has been extremely lucky in the injury department. Even if he doesn't start he's an experienced starter and at worst a very very solid backup.

ThunderDan
01-09-2010, 01:54 PM
I think we need to keep Colledge but solely as a LG. I'd rather have to look for a LT and a possibly LG backup than move Lang inside and have to find a LT and RT. Clifton and Tausher are old. They are going to have to be replaced sooner rather than later.

Smidgeon
01-09-2010, 03:57 PM
I think College ought to be retained if possible. The offense has been extremely lucky in the injury department. Even if he doesn't start he's an experienced starter and at worst a very very solid backup.

Yeah, but would Colledge accept a backup role? I think if that was his option in GB, he'd look somewhere else. He doesn't have to sign the contract after all. And as a restricted free agent, I don't doubt there's a team out there who'd be willing to give up a pick for him.