PDA

View Full Version : Who was better - Jim Irwin Or Ray Scott?

Scott Campbell
01-09-2010, 01:19 PM
Both were great, but most people have their favorite. Who is yours?

Bretsky
01-09-2010, 01:22 PM
Jim Irwin....hands down

KYPack
01-09-2010, 01:36 PM
Ray Scott.

Both of 'em were greats.

Ray Scott popularized a sparse style chocked full of info with a great delivery. I wish it would come back.

Patler
01-09-2010, 01:58 PM
Ray Scott by a mile.

I preferred both to W.L.

sheepshead
01-09-2010, 02:08 PM
No contest. Ray Scott.

TravisWilliams23
01-09-2010, 02:10 PM
Ray Scott.

I liked the sparsity of his commentary.

"Starr....Dowler.....Touchdown!!!"

That's all you needed to hear because you just watched it
happen on TV. Seems like now everyone needs to show us
how "football smart" they are....NOT.

Joemailman
01-09-2010, 02:12 PM
Hard to compare since I only heard Scott do television, and Irwin do radio. Don't know how well Scott's sparse style would have worked on radio, which requires more description. Scott was a legend on television though, in part due to that voice.

sheepshead
01-09-2010, 02:14 PM
Plus Irwin was a dick, I met him twice once on Michigan Avenue where I was the only one who would recognize him practically and another time at the Vegas airport when the Badgers first played out there. Both times he was a wienie and I have heard the same from others.

gbgary
01-09-2010, 04:16 PM
Ray Scott.

I liked the sparsity of his commentary.

"Starr....Dowler.....Touchdown!!!"

That's all you needed to hear because you just watched it
happen on TV. Seems like now everyone needs to show us
how "football smart" they are....NOT.

yes!! grew up listening to him. tremendous voice and delivery.

Packers4Ever
01-09-2010, 04:29 PM
Ray Scott by a mile.

I preferred both to W.L.

The men in this house prefer Ray Scott..

The Shadow
01-09-2010, 05:30 PM
Personally, I thought Jim Erwin was the the most horseshit announcer I ever listened to. He just never seemed to know much about football.
I was elated when Wayne took over.

swede
01-09-2010, 06:52 PM
Irwin, at the end, annoyed me greatly with his play-by-play which was frequently marred by mistakes and corrections:

"And it's CAUGHT by ROBERT BROOKS for a FIRST DOWN...and now they're saying he was out of bounds, the side judge is calling him out...and it was Antonio Freeman on that play, not Robert Brooks."

I also remember Irwin and Max laughing about Natrone Means. Means was a highly regarded prospect and Max, who had no clue about who the player was or the high expectations surrounding him kept calling him "Neutron". They thought his name was wildly funny. Max also thought watermelon and fried chicken jokes were funny.

My dad loved Jim and Max. He hates Larrivee and is forced now to listen to television commentary. In the 80's and 90's he always turned down the television and listened to Jim and Max.

I only know Ray Scott from old sound bites. From what I know of him, I like the old-fashioned brevity of his play-by-play. Did he broadcast radio and TV simultaneously? I thought he was just a radio announcer.

Pugger
01-10-2010, 02:54 PM
The last couple of years Irwin would screw up calling Lambeau Camp Randall and vice versa. I didn't mind Wayne and Larry. Larry knows his stuff and I just wish I could listen to those two on the computer instead of the TV guys we are stuck with living outside of the Packer radio network geographical area. :-[