View Full Version : Cliff Christl: Packer Insider Camp Report - July 29

OKC PackerFan
07-29-2006, 09:17 PM
Cliff Christl:
Packer Insider

SATURDAY, July 29, 2006, 7:10 p.m.

Camp Report - July 29
THUMBS UP

It has been obvious from the start that second-round draft pick Daryn Colledge has the athletic ability to pass block at the pro level: Mainly exceptional knee bend and quick feet. In Saturday’s only practice, Colledge also was precise with his techniques and won all three turns in one-on-one pass blocking. He beat veterans Cullen Jenkins and Colin Cole, as well as rookie Johnny Jolly.

The key for Colledge was that he kept his elbows in and got his hands in tight as he locked on to all three. Coach Mike McCarthy also said the interior offensive linemen played with better pad level in team drills than they did Friday night.

THUMBS DOWN
Offensive lineman Adrian Klemm was damaged goods in New England and now he has become damaged goods in Green Bay. He was carted off the practice field with what McCarthy said was an Achilles’ tendon injury.

Klemm joined the Packers as a free agent last season and couldn’t keep his starting job at left guard, but managed to stay healthy. That, in itself, was a near miracle. During his five seasons with New England, Klemm spent eight weeks on the physically unable to perform list with a knee injury in 2000; and landed on injured reserve with a calf injury in 2001, with an ankle injury in 2003 and a broken foot in 2004.

Now, the injury bug seems to have hit Klemm again. On the first day of the first minicamp in May, he injured his knee and missed the remainder of the off-season workouts.

INJURY REPORT
Leo Bookman (ankle) and Patrick Dendy (ankle) missed practice after getting hurt Friday. Defensive tackle Ryan Pickett missed practice after being in a car accident. Klemm was the only player to drop out.

ODDS & ENDS
Free agent tackle Josh Bourke won all four of his one-on-one pass blocking sets against defensive ends Michael Montgomery, Dave Tollefson and Montez Murphy twice. On an inside charge by Murphy, Bourke was slow to react, but still recovered in time.

One of the defensive highlights of the day was strong-side linebacker Tracy White meeting Samkon Gado in the hole on a draw play in team drills.

Safety Marviel Underwood had the only interception of the day, picking off Aaron Rodgers on a deep throw to Robert Ferguson. Underwood was playing a deep zone and Rodgers under-threw the pass.

Cornerbacks Mike Hawkins and Jason Horton both made nice plays, slapping balls away from receivers in one-on-one coverage drills. … Rodgers and free agent receiver Calvin Russell combined on two nice passes in seven-on-seven.

Rookie wide receiver Greg Jennings had a big day with four catches in team drills and seven-on-seven. ... Rookie guard Jason Spitz lost his balance and lost twice in one-on-one pass blocking to Kenny Peterson and Jerome Nichols.

Rookie back Ben Brown and wide receiver Chris Francies each had bad drops in team drills.

http://www.jsonline.com/blog/?id=3

BallHawk
07-29-2006, 09:28 PM
Good to see Underwood, Colledge, and Jennings doing well. Klemm sucks, he's gonna be cut.

Harlan Huckleby
07-29-2006, 09:52 PM
I think you are a little harsh on Klemm. He never said he was a guard, that was Ted Thompson's experiment. Klemm looked pretty capable at LT.

MJZiggy
07-29-2006, 10:08 PM
Doesn't matter for now 'til we find out how bad his heel is.

LEWCWA
07-29-2006, 10:20 PM
I agree. I think Klemm looked like an excellent option as the 3rd tackle! He is no guard though!

red
07-29-2006, 10:26 PM
i don't think we can cut klemm if its a serious injury. we would still have to pay his whole salary. like what happened with hunt last year. we cut him because he was fat and lazy, but he also had a shoulder injury. so we were on the hook for his salary, even though he wasn't on the team. if i remember right

Rastak
07-30-2006, 06:32 AM
i don't think we can cut klemm if its a serious injury. we would still have to pay his whole salary. like what happened with hunt last year. we cut him because he was fat and lazy, but he also had a shoulder injury. so we were on the hook for his salary, even though he wasn't on the team. if i remember right

You remember correctly. Klemm will probably go on IR if he ruptured his achilles. Man, injuries in the NFL are a real downer.