PDA

View Full Version : AR admits the Pack were just "going through the motions

gbgary
01-10-2010, 10:21 AM
when they went 4-4 :shock: . "going through the motions"? took guts to say that. i'm very surprised he did actually. i guess their heads got big after all the preseason predictions of them going to the sb. a sign of immaturity, i guess, having such a young team. i guess the coaches, and the experienced leaders (chuck and donald perhaps) on the team, got a handle on this after the tampa embarrassment.

mission
01-10-2010, 10:22 AM
why are you so surprised? it's pretty obvious that's exactly what was going on...

it's one thing to admit that after a 6-10 season, it's another thing when you're 11-5 and going hot into the playoffs.

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-10-2010, 10:28 AM
That says something about a head coach if he lets his team go through the motions for half the season.....

MOBB DEEP
01-10-2010, 10:30 AM
it's one thing to admit that after a 6-10 season, it's another thing when you're 11-5 and going hot into the playoffs.

XACTLY

gbgary
01-10-2010, 10:35 AM
i don't think it's obvious that what was happening. nobody was saying when it was happening. the blame went in every direction but that. "going through the motions" says, to me anyway, not trying your hardest, not taking things seriously. that's on the coaches first of all, and the team leaders second. for that to be true is disturbing but to say it publicly seems risky.

TennesseePackerBacker
01-10-2010, 10:35 AM
That says something about a head coach if he lets his team go through the motions for half the season.....

He is coaching grown men. If they are just going through the motions I'm not sure how you can blame the coach. The players have to want it just as much as their coach does.

Smidgeon
01-10-2010, 10:37 AM

What does it say? Seeing, of course, as you weren't there so you don't know what he did do and didn't do.

MJZiggy
01-10-2010, 10:39 AM

He is coaching grown men. If they are just going through the motions I'm not sure how you can blame the coach. The players have to want it just as much as their coach does.

That pretty much sums it up.

mission
01-10-2010, 10:40 AM
i don't think it's obvious that what was happening. nobody was saying when it was happening. the blame went in every direction but that. "going through the motions" says, to me anyway, not trying your hardest, not taking things seriously. that's on the coaches first of all, and the team leaders second. for that to be true is disturbing but to say it publicly seems risky.

well in retrospect, comparing it to how we're playing now, what else could it be? all the penalties, no offensive line, no run stopping... just an overall lack of intensity.

i mean... looking back, now that you know how our team can play...

im not saying it was obvious then, but it's obvious now.

and this is a recent interview, correct? sooo...

PlantPage55
01-10-2010, 10:42 AM

Not to mention that it says a lot about that SAME coach, when he wrangles the troops up and gets them to go 7-1 from that point on...

sheepshead
01-10-2010, 10:47 AM

'xactly. That and the penalties. I thought they looked uninspired during that time, I wanted MM's head. He'll need to win a few playoff games to right the ship in my opinion.

rbaloha1
01-10-2010, 11:23 AM
Typical of youth. Coaches need to motivate better. Unexcused sloppiness.

swede
01-10-2010, 11:42 AM
I didn't see a link to help establish the context of the remark.

Perhaps, though, rather than an indictment of effort, the quote had more to do with the team's level of understanding, coordination, and confidence in offensive and defensive schemes. In a game that needs to be played at such tremendous speed, confidence and coordination of actions are required in for sure execution of blocks, cuts, routes, throws, and assignments.

Too little confidence, and not enough speed in execution may not translate as outright errors as much as the team would be "going through the motions" without as much success as the team would want.

Just a thought.

KYPack
01-10-2010, 11:46 AM
But every team in the league had flat spots this season. Even if they were self-induced like Indy. NE, Dallas, NO, they have had times when they were seen as one of the league's top teams and other spots where they couldn't do shit and were going thru the motions. Almost no team ever sails thru the year with no adversity.

One thing really impressed me about ARod making the statement he did. He had the balls to make it. He's taking up the mantle of leadership. He called a spade a spade and talked about how they adjusted to the situation.

And they got it fixed

By adjusting their pad level.

And not working 'em too hard.

Ya know?

mission
01-10-2010, 12:15 PM
But every team in the league had flat spots this season. Even if they were self-induced like Indy. NE, Dallas, NO, they have had times when they were seen as one of the league's top teams and other spots where they couldn't do shit and were going thru the motions. Almost no team ever sails thru the year with no adversity.

One thing really impressed me about ARod making the statement he did. He had the balls to make it. He's taking up the mantle of leadership. He called a spade a spade and talked about how they adjusted to the situation.

And they got it fixed

Ya know?

That's how I took it... it is what it was... we were 4-4.

Nice post, Ky :D

gbgary
01-10-2010, 12:31 PM
i'm not doubting, or surprised, that's what happened in part, for the bad start. i'm not above giving props to the coaches (no secret i don't care for mm), and leaders for turning things around...i'm just surprised AR said what he said. he could have blamed it on just getting new players, new schemes, and whatnot, into a groove. you know...the typical interview stuff.

And they got it fixed

Ya know?

:lol:

KYPack
01-10-2010, 12:44 PM
i'm not doubting, or surprised, that's what happened in part, for the bad start. i'm not above giving props to the coaches (no secret i don't care for mm), and leaders for turning things around...i'm just surprised AR said what he said. he could have blamed it on just getting new players, new schemes, and whatnot, into a groove. you know...the typical interview stuff.

And they got it fixed

Ya know?

:lol:

Yeah. Probably every regular poster to PR could've made the same statement. But Rodgers really showed me something by saying it.

Johnny Unitas once said that you haven't arrived as a QB until you can tell the HC to go to hell. This isn't the same thing, but it's kind of similar. It's ARod's team and he's got the guts to speak to the teams mood and style of play. He's taking ownership of the joint.

RashanGary
01-10-2010, 01:13 PM
This team, for 15 years, has read every day about how average they are and how they were carried by one guy. Every win, every loss, it was always about one guy.

I look at this as the moment the Packers took ownership back in their team. It's been at least 5 years, probably longer, since the players felt like a team. For me, this is much more exciting than any team with Favre on it because for the first time that I've ever watched Packer football, this game, this season is about the TEAM!!

bobblehead
01-10-2010, 02:56 PM
I doubt if anyone remembers a post I made when we were 4-4 and I bitched about MM's practices that involved walk throughs to position, but very little battling. I complained that we were getting beat physically because we didn't practice to win individual battles, we practiced to be in position to win them.

I've seen a lot more fire from them since.