PDA

View Full Version : Most Courageous QB Effort

The Shadow
01-10-2010, 07:05 PM
Aaron Rodgers officially moves into my 2nd place All-Time Packer Quarterback with his gutty performance today. If the defense had not failed, this would have an historic victory.
1. Bart Starr
2. Aaron Rodgers
3. Bert Farve

ICU81MI
01-10-2010, 07:06 PM
Aaron Rodgers became a superstar today.

Bretsky
01-10-2010, 07:07 PM
he played great

it also would have been a historic win had he made one of the two long balls to Jennings. The one in OT ends the game

esoxx
01-10-2010, 07:08 PM
Little premature to put him at #2 all time. But not surprising.

MJZiggy
01-10-2010, 07:09 PM
He deserved the win. Shame he didn't get it.

red
01-10-2010, 07:09 PM
kid played awesome in his first playoff game

too bad the d didn't show up today

if that pass is one foot lower we would have completed one of the best comebacks ever

packerbacker1234
01-10-2010, 07:35 PM
Aaron Rodgers officially moves into my 2nd place All-Time Packer Quarterback with his gutty performance today. If the defense had not failed, this would have an historic victory.
1. Bart Starr
2. Aaron Rodgers
3. Bert Favre

And if Brett Favre did the saem thing (he hasn't), who here would be all over hims aying he cost us another win? Early int, int/fumble in OT to hand the game over.

Just saying, I've seen that excuse thrown at him before. I give the entire offen se props: They never gave up, and they made a lot of big plays. However, early, it was the offense that dug the hole, and while they dug back out of it, it's hard to say you have a heroic performance in a loss, especially when the play that gave the other team was a turnover from yourself.

Great day for AR statistically, great performance, still can't throw it up there when it was his turnover that directly gave them the win on the last play of the game. He had time on 3rd and 5 to do two seperate pump fakes, so he had time to make a decision and didn't. I love the guy, showed heart, but he lost, and the dagger was his own fault.

The Shadow
01-10-2010, 07:36 PM
After Starr's Ice Bowl performance, this one would come in at #2.

Brandon494
01-10-2010, 07:41 PM
1. Bart Starr
2. Aaron Rodgers
3. Bert Favre

Come on man....

I like Rodgers just as much as the next guy but lets wait until he has a playoff win until you move him about the all time TD leader..... then again it is your opinion.

packerbacker1234
01-11-2010, 12:04 AM
1. Bart Starr
2. Aaron Rodgers
3. Bert Favre

Come on man....

I like Rodgers just as much as the next guy but lets wait until he has a playoff win until you move him about the all time TD leader..... then again it is your opinion.

Thats just it. Difference is: Gutty performance... Bart Starr and Favre won.

Rodgers doesn't even have a playoff win yet. ANd, he ahd the turnover at the end to give the other team a win in OT.

So, yeah.

I was more impressed with that OL second half. Holy crap did AR have time.

Fritz
01-11-2010, 06:22 AM
Already the b.s. comparison to Favre's pick against the Giants. I knew it would happen here, but the JSO couldn't resist, either.

What a bunch of b.s. I'm sorry; it is. There is no way on God's green earth that Rodgers would have tried to force a play like he did when Adams came in (untouched, I believe, for all you blaming Rodgers) if the defense had shown any ability whatsoever to stop Arizona.

The fact of the matter is that if the offense didn't go down and score, the game was going to be over, period. The defense had stopped Arizona ONCE in that second half, I think. Come on. Rodgers was forced into forcing it by the knowledge that if the Packers punted the game was over.

Cripes, Rodgers took the Packers up and down and up and down the field. That team scored flippin' 45 points and people want to blame the quarterback.

I'm sorry, but in my book that's ridiculous.

Warner picked this defense apart, absolutely took them to the wood shed. That's the area of the team that ought shoulder most of the blame and the area that needs most attention next year. What I mean by attention is finding an answwer to the question of how that hell Arizona and Pittbsburgh managed to make the defense look nonexistent. Is it a lack of talent? If so, where exactly?

Offensively, I think the need is obvious - offensive line. On defense, it's more puzzling.

But to blame Rodgers somehow seems petty to me.

MOBB DEEP
01-11-2010, 06:36 AM
I was more impressed with that OL second half. Holy crap did AR have time.

qft...i was thinkn the same thing during my 10th viewing of the replay of the missed bomb to GJ...GREAT play call btw

Patler
01-11-2010, 07:10 AM
Great players make great plays at critical times to win games. Games (in all sports) often hinge on key plays at critical times. Jennings was very open. Rodgers missed him. Aikman hypothesized that Rodgers anticipated Jennings would flatten his route. Whatever. One of them failed to perform in a key play to win the game. In my opinion, Jennings had enough cushion that the pass did not have to be that precise, even if it meant the defender might catch up and possibly make the tackle. That pass had to be completed. It really doesn't matter what else either of them did earlier in the game. That was a critical play that could have won the game.

Until Rodgers starts to make great plays at critical times to win games, he is just a very good QB, but not a great one. Yes, Favre had some monumental meltdowns in some of those situations, but he also had incredible performances in other key plays. So far, Rodgers has neither, and youth/experience is no excuse, because, as we have seen, greatness exhibits itself even in very young and inexperienced athletes.

Scott Campbell
01-11-2010, 07:18 AM
Great players make great plays at critical times to win games. Games (in all sports) often hinge on key plays at critical times. Jennings was very open. Rodgers missed him. Aikman hypothesized that Rodgers anticipated Jennings would flatten his route. Whatever. One of them failed to perform in a key play to win the game. In my opinion, Jennings had enough cushion that the pass did not have to be that precise, even if it meant the defender might catch up and possibly make the tackle. That pass had to be completed. It really doesn't matter what else either of them did earlier in the game. That was a critical play that could have won the game.

Until Rodgers starts to make great plays at critical times to win games, he is just a very good QB, but not a great one. Yes, Favre had some monumental meltdowns in some of those situations, but he also had incredible performances in other key plays. So far, Rodgers has neither, and youth/experience is no excuse, because, as we have seen, greatness exhibits itself even in very young and inexperienced athletes.

This is one of those rare times I have to disagree with Patler. He led them to 35 second half points and played incredibly well. There is not a QB in history that could have overcome our D giving up 51 yesterday.

Scott Campbell
01-11-2010, 07:25 AM
1. Bart Starr
2. Aaron Rodgers
3. Bert Favre

Me too. But I have Dickey in 3rd.

pbmax
01-11-2010, 07:25 AM
Crucial plays can happen at any time in a game. The great ones are simply the one's every remembers near the end of the game. Rodgers made most of those plays. He needed one more. He spent the last four games or so overthrowing deep.

But in order of concern Rodgers is 52nd on my list of worries (Josh Sitton played very well :lol: )

The other 51 concerns all play or coach defense.

Patler
01-11-2010, 07:39 AM
This is one of those rare times I have to disagree with Patler. He led them to 35 second half points and played incredibly well. There is not a QB in history that could have overcome our D giving up 51 yesterday.

Yes, Rodgers played very well, I don't dispute that. But Rodgers himself could have overcome his own defense. It was right there for him to do. All he had to do was complete the pass to Jennings. It wasn't even that difficult of a throw, he had more difficult ones in the game. Jennings was very open.

That is what separates an extremely good performance, which Rodgers had, from a great one. He failed to win the game when the opportunity presented itself.

TravisWilliams23
01-11-2010, 07:39 AM

The Pack was down 17-0 and 31-10 during that game. Rodgers led the team to seven consecutive scoring drives. Certainly there were great plays at critical times during those 7 drives.

He outright missed Jennings on the 1st down pass in OT. Plus 2 missed penalties on the next 2 plays. If anyone of those are called, who knows how that game ends.

Scott Campbell
01-11-2010, 07:47 AM

Yes, Rodgers played very well, I don't dispute that. But Rodgers himself could have overcome his own defense. It was right there for him to do. All he had to do was complete the pass to Jennings. It wasn't even that difficult of a throw, he had more difficult ones in the game. Jennings was very open.

That is what separates an extremely good performance, which Rodgers had, from a great one. He failed to win the game when the opportunity presented itself.

Jesus Christ himself couldn't have overcome our own defense. (Sorry for the blasphemy)

I think you and I are just not going to agree on this one. Watching him yesterday made me want to clear extra room in our trophy case. Surround him with a halfway decent team and he can bring home the hardware. His defense wasn't halfway decent yesterday.

Patler
01-11-2010, 07:49 AM
Crucial plays can happen at any time in a game. The great ones are simply the one's every remembers near the end of the game. Rodgers made most of those plays. He needed one more. He spent the last four games or so overthrowing deep.

But in order of concern Rodgers is 52nd on my list of worries (Josh Sitton played very well :lol: )

I agree, crucial plays can happen anytime, but also in some contests, none of that matters because you are given one last opportunity to win. Make the play and you win. That's what happened here. In those situations, some players seem to come through more than others. Favre has many times. Roethlisberger did a couple weeks ago. Rodgers had a chance yesterday, and he didn't do it.

I'm not at all worried about Rodgers, because he is extremely good, and most times that will be enough. He may even turn out to be great. So far, he's not; which means the rest of the team has to be better.

I mentioned Rodgers' recent overthrows on long passes yesterday while watching the game. He seems to be throwing flatter on deep routes, which gives the receiver less chance to adjust, but also can result in catches in stride that go for TDs. I wonder if it is intentional.

Scott Campbell
01-11-2010, 08:02 AM

I agree, crucial plays can happen anytime, but also in some contests, none of that matters because you are given one last opportunity to win. Make the play and you win. That's what happened here. In those situations, some players seem to come through more than others. Favre has many times. Roethlisberger did a couple weeks ago. Rodgers had a chance yesterday, and he didn't do it.

He could have fed the rock to Grant 12 straight times and marched the team down for a FG. Then people would say he came through in the end, even if all he did was hand the ball off a bunch.

He led his team to 45 points in a playoff game. It's enough for me. I've seen enough and think he's already destined for greatness.

Patler
01-11-2010, 08:02 AM

The Pack was down 17-0 and 31-10 during that game. Rodgers led the team to seven consecutive scoring drives. Certainly there were great plays at critical times during those 7 drives.

He outright missed Jennings on the 1st down pass in OT. Plus 2 missed penalties on the next 2 plays. If anyone of those are called, who knows how that game ends.

None of those "what ifs" matter, there was a chance to win the game on a single play that was not an extremely difficult throw. I'm not saying it was an easy throw, but it wouldn't have taken any incredible throw to complete it. I'm not even criticizing Rodgers for not completing it. I'm not downplaying his other performance in the game, which was extremely good. But, after all that happened for the team good and bad through the first 60 minutes, there was that one opportunity to overcome it all and win. They did not. Rodgers did not.

Until he makes plays like that to win, he will be an extremely good QB who gives his team the chance to win game in and game out. But he has not yet shown the ability to carry his team to victory in a crucial game when they might not deserve to win. The truly great ones do. Starr did. Favre did. So far, Rodgers has not. Until he does, he has not earned the right to stand on the platform with Starr and Favre. He might only be a step below. He might be capable of taking that step. But he's not there yet.

Scott Campbell
01-11-2010, 08:06 AM

None of those "what ifs" matter, there was a chance to win the game on a single play that was not an extremely difficult throw. I'm not saying it was an easy throw, but it wouldn't have taken any incredible throw to complete it. I'm not even criticizing Rodgers for not completing it. I'm not downplaying his other performance in the game, which was extremely good. But, after all that happened for the team good and bad through the first 60 minutes, there was that one opportunity to overcome it all and win. They did not. Rodgers did not.

Until he makes plays like that to win, he will be an extremely good QB who gives his team the chance to win game in and game out. But he has not yet shown the ability to carry his team to victory in a crucial game when they might not deserve to win. The truly great ones do. Starr did. Favre did. So far, Rodgers has not. Until he does, he has not earned the right to stand on the platform with Starr and Favre. He might only be a step below. He might be capable of taking that step. But he's not there yet.

Ok, but what happens when those guys do deliver and achieve the mythical status. It doesn't matter much when you trot them back out there. Tom Brady is one of the truly greats, but lost yesterday.

I'll take Aaron over anybody in the league right now. The greatness exists in every great QB even before greatness is achieved.

Patler
01-11-2010, 08:10 AM
He could have fed the rock to Grant 12 straight times and marched the team down for a FG. Then people would say he came through in the end, even if all he did was hand the ball off a bunch.

He led his team to 45 points in a playoff game. It's enough for me. I've seen enough and think he's already destined for greatness.

Feeding Grant would have shown the team coming through, maybe Grant and the O-line coming through. It would have "counted" in the silly tallies they like to keep for QBs on comeback wins, but it would have meant nothing for the Rodgers legacy. So far, Rodgers really has no legacy.

I have never seen a player "destined" for greatness, but I have seen a lot of great players. For the most part, it is a quality that they show by coming through when it is needed the most at all levels, even when they are young. There are a lot of extremely good athletes who continually get close. That's where I put Rodgers right now, as an extremely good QB who has gotten close.

Patler
01-11-2010, 08:19 AM
Ok, but what happens when those guys do deliver and achieve the mythical status. It doesn't matter much when you trot them back out there. Tom Brady is one of the truly greats, but lost yesterday.

I'll take Aaron over anybody in the league right now. The greatness exists in every great QB even before greatness is achieved.

Not even the great ones are flawless. They fail too. As I mentioned, Favre has had monumental meltdowns along with spectacular successes. Some have more simple, routine failures along with their successes.

I'm very pleased with Rodgers, and would likely take him over any other young QB right now too. That does not make him a truly great QB.

Scott Campbell
01-11-2010, 08:19 AM

Feeding Grant would have shown the team coming through, maybe Grant and the O-line coming through. It would have "counted" in the silly tallies they like to keep for QBs on comeback wins, but it would have meant nothing for the Rodgers legacy. So far, Rodgers really has no legacy.

I have never seen a player "destined" for greatness, but I have seen a lot of great players. For the most part, it is a quality that they show by coming through when it is needed the most at all levels, even when they are young. There are a lot of extremely good athletes who continually get close. That's where I put Rodgers right now, as an extremely good QB who has gotten close.

And I see Rodgers as a great QB who had his defense give up 45 points in regulation. You can't win it alone.

And if we had lucked out, I think Brees might have hung 75 on us next week.

mraynrand
01-11-2010, 08:21 AM

And I see Rodgers as a great QB who had his defense give up 45 points in regulation. You can't win it alone.

This game reminds me a lot of that NFCC game in 1995 at Dallas - except Rodgers played better than Favre and the defense this year played worse.

ThunderDan
01-11-2010, 08:26 AM

Not even the great ones are flawless. They fail too. As I mentioned, Favre has had monumental meltdowns along with spectacular successes. Some have more simple, routine failures along with their successes.

I'm very pleased with Rodgers, and would likely take him over any other young QB right now too. That does not make him a truly great QB.

I would guess that once Arod gets to 12 postseason starts in his career, he will be an above .500 QB and we will have a Lombardi trophy again.

I stated a couple of weeks ago if we solidify our O-Line for a season most of the offensive NFL records could be broken with this group.

Bretsky
01-11-2010, 08:27 AM

agree; he didn't even need to make the great throw so Jennings catches it on the run. Just lay it up there and make it catchable. There was a huge room for error because Jennings was wide open. Rodgers ball was just uncatchable

Patler
01-11-2010, 08:28 AM

For the most part you can't win games on your own, but you can win a game because of one play at a critical time. If they had completed the pass and won the game, Rodgers would not have won the game alone. Jennings great TD catch would have contributed, Drivers catches, as would have Woodson's strip, and Mathews alert recovery and return. Others would also have contributed in less noticeable ways. I'm not blaming Rodgers for the loss. Clearly he played well enough for the team to win. But he did not drag them to a win in spite of themselves. He did have the chance to do it, however.

Do you really think they could have held Brees to 75??? :lol:

Smidgeon
01-11-2010, 08:28 AM
Warner picked this defense apart, absolutely took them to the wood shed. That's the area of the team that ought shoulder most of the blame and the area that needs most attention next year. What I mean by attention is finding an answwer to the question of how that hell Arizona and Pittbsburgh managed to make the defense look nonexistent. Is it a lack of talent? If so, where exactly?

My opinion, and only my opinion:

The only 3 QBs to truly pick apart the Packer's defense were Farve (twice), Big Ben, and Warner. If you want to get technical, Big Ben and Warner did it to a much more effective level than Favre. Favre needed help from the Packer's O-line to win the first game (and got plenty) but had plenty personal motivation to win those games anyway. Big Ben and Warner are both well versed on playing against the 3-4. If there are any QBs out there who know where the soft spots are, those are the QBs. Not to mention that both teams have extensive experience against the Capers' 3-4 (Pittsburgh because they run it, and Cards because Whisenhunt was with the Steelers for 3 years). Yeah, it was not a pretty game (but was almost), but the defense isn't as bad as it seems. There are just a few players here or there who know how to play against that defense. Is it any wonder that AR put up almost as gaudy statistics against their defenses too? He knows how to play against that D (or similar) as well. Capers' D does need some new players, another playmaker, and for God to suspend aging on Woodson. But I don't have a problem with the scheme. Not yet anyway.

Bossman641
01-11-2010, 08:40 AM
I've been replaying the missed throw to Jennings over and over in my head since the game ended.

If Rodgers needed any extra motivation for this offseason (which I doubt he does), that is it.

MichiganPackerFan
01-12-2010, 10:16 AM
1. Bart Starr
2. Aaron Rodgers
3. Bert Favre

And if Brett Favre did the saem thing (he hasn't), who here would be all over hims aying he cost us another win? Early int, int/fumble in OT to hand the game over.

Favre wouldn't have come back after that start. He would have thrown 5 more picks. As good as Favre was in the regular season and early career playoff games, his playoff losses in the second half of his GB career were MAJOR choke jobs.