PDA

View Full Version : Since Brett wants a big named UFA, who is left??

b bulldog
04-08-2006, 09:00 AM
Anyone who would reply to this is crazy. We are rebuilding and in two to three years when Brett is long gone the team will be good again. Loved the Manning like comment on his Oline yesterday. Keep diggging your hole Brett.

MJZiggy
04-08-2006, 09:04 AM
He said himself that FA was almost done. He has to decide if he wants to come back to this team. Maybe if they take Davis with the first pick he'll have someone to throw to besides DD and Bubba. Jury's out on Bo.

Bretsky
04-08-2006, 09:06 AM
Anyone who would reply to this is crazy. We are rebuilding and in two to three years when Brett is long gone the team will be good again. Loved the Manning like comment on his Oline yesterday. Keep diggging your hole Brett.

First off, is the nature of the post to be a TT apologist for using our 35MIL so well, or are you just back to Favre bashing ? Because I could name about 20 free agents TT didn't bother with that'd have helped us, and some young enough to be around for a long time.

Looking for free agents that would help ? Woodson, Law, Griesen for starters.
Faine as well for a fourth.

If TT and MM don't demmand an answer, the only people whining about the delay are the fans.

Let's watch baseball and hopefully see the Badgers win a title.

b bulldog
04-08-2006, 09:20 AM
Lets see, we have no WR, we have questions at RB although I like Gado, our Oline is a huge question, we have no P or K, we have one good LB and two good players in the secondary, our Dline is average at best and our QB threw 29 pics last season. I forgot the biggest thing, we have zero depth. Sign 4 big players in UFA and maybe this team would go 8-8 tops.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-08-2006, 09:25 AM
Lets see, we have no WR, we have questions at RB although I like Gado, our Oline is a huge question, we have no P or K, we have one good LB and two good players in the secondary, our Dline is average at best and our QB threw 29 pics last season. I forgot the biggest thing, we have zero depth. Sign 4 big players in UFA and maybe this team would go 8-8 tops.

And who's the motherfucking GM???

HarveyWallbangers
04-08-2006, 09:27 AM

I wish Favre was.
:D

Anti-Polar Bear
04-08-2006, 09:32 AM

I wish Favre was.
:D

I wish Sherman is still the GM. A healthy Packer team last year with Sherman as GM would have won the SB. A healthy Thompson team would not.

HarveyWallbangers
04-08-2006, 09:37 AM
Sherman sucks too! (He left the team completely devoid of depth and playmakers.) He's the one that got us into this mess. Thompson isn't doing much to get us out of it.

Harlan Huckleby
04-08-2006, 10:34 AM
Sherman's run as GM & scapegoat are over. TT has two offseason's under his belt, lets leave Sherm out of it now.

Fritz
04-08-2006, 10:41 AM
Personally, I think Mike Sherman is to blame. He is also at fault for the mess in Iraq, and don't you think it's suspect that no sooner does Sherman go down to Texas than some mom down there is chopping off her kid's arm?

But TT has a plan. You guys may not like it, but it's not the "push-the-panic-button-and-sign-every-free-agent-with-a-big-name" plan that so many people here seem to favor. I say it's too early to judge TT's tenure.

b bulldog
04-08-2006, 10:51 AM
TT is to blame for the lack of moves being made but this team has way to many holes to compete for a championship and even with all of the Browns,Redskins or Vikings moves they still couldn't compete. The depth on this team is NFL E and Sherman is to blame for that. I hold TT responsible for not getting the younger UFA's which would still be Packers when they turn the corner.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-08-2006, 11:25 AM
Sherman sucks too! (He left the team completely devoid of depth and playmakers.) He's the one that got us into this mess. Thompson isn't doing much to get us out of it.

Sherman wouldve kept the offense inact and upgraded the defense last season if he was GM. That is exactly the same approach that the Seahawks used. There isnt much difference between the Seahawks and Packers in '04: both had great offenses and mediocre defenses.

Last year, the seahawks made the move to get to the SB; whereas thompson merely hibernated.

Partial
04-08-2006, 11:28 AM
Sign LaVar for 7 million for one season :D

MJZiggy
04-08-2006, 11:29 AM
I think he's looking for an o-line to keep his ass out of the dirt. Those grass stains are tough to get out.

woodbuck27
04-08-2006, 11:35 AM
b bulldog;

PLEASE show me the quote. . .

from Brett Favre . . .where he specifies his need for a BIG NAME FA ? He wants to see some moves to strengthen OUR OL and the team overall, to get the Packers to winning.

How much will it really take, with Brett Favre and some moves on "O" , and a little good fortune to turn those 8 loss's by 8 points or less last Season to wins ?

Also. I see it this way.

The men in the Packer organization that are doing the BEST PR jobs for the PACKER ORGANIZATION excludes the Packer GM. Ted isn't exactly your PR guy.

Those men are Mike McCarthy and Brett Favre.

For the sake of common sense, PLEASE stop knocking Mike Sherman or yesterday, and rather concentrate on what we need Ted Thompson and his staff to do, to get us all on the same page. To winning again this Season.

Brett Favre and the other Packer players, that will form the 53 man roster just deserve that ! Some reasonable effort . Not any agenda that Shanghi's the Packer Organization for simply a high draft pick again in 2007.

It's all about Packer Pride maan. Ted still has about $19 million under the cap.He can still upgrade OUR team with that much money.The longer that Brett makes us wait, the better off we will be as things now stand.

Favre's a fox.He's doing all the right things because he sure as "H" realizes there is work left to do. Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy and Aaron Rodgers are all for the better the way Favre is handling things.

This has to simply play out and it will all be OK as long as noone panics.

Bretsky
04-08-2006, 12:40 PM
TT is to blame for the lack of moves being made but this team has way to many holes to compete for a championship and even with all of the Browns,Redskins or Vikings moves they still couldn't compete. The depth on this team is NFL E and Sherman is to blame for that. I hold TT responsible for not getting the younger UFA's which would still be Packers when they turn the corner.

OK, so I'm glad you are not TT defending. I'd agree that next year is lost, but let's say TT makes the effort for free agents and hits on a couple drafts in a row. If Favre stays, and maybe I have my blinders on here, I could see us contending in two years. But he's carrying nobody anymore; he needs the surrounding talent, and TT has made little effort to give it to him so far.

esoxx
04-08-2006, 12:45 PM
"We are rebuilding and in two to three years when Brett is long gone the team will be good again."

That's funny how some people know exactly how it's going to do down. Actually, this could be the second year of 16 consecutive losing seasons...or it might not be. The point is for the TT apologists out there that are just certain this is all just a little speed bump and in a few years we're back in the SB chase....puh-lease! I'm sure plenty of other teams felt the same way. There's no gaurantees.

Fritz
04-08-2006, 12:49 PM
Dang it Bretsky, who didya want TT to sign? Make Hutchinson the highest-paid offensive lineman and piss off Clifton and Tauscher, throwing your salary schedule out of whack because you're paying a guard more than a tackle? Don't you realize that's going to have an impact on the Queens? Or was signing Joe Jurevicous going to put the Pack in the Super Bowl? Julian Peterson's an injury question, and LaVar Arrington is an underacheiver.

If Ted had bought every freakin' FA out there it wasn't going to fix stuff. Washington? Minnesota? Those are the poster children for trying to buy your way in, and look where it got them. Do you see Pittsburgh or New England out there buying up a storm? Or Seattle, who signed Burleson, yes, but I'd bet lots of money that had they kept Hutchinson they never would've bothered with Burleson.

b bulldog
04-08-2006, 12:52 PM
No guarantees but for the long run the draft is the best way to build along with younger UFA'S.

b bulldog
04-08-2006, 12:55 PM
He said that how the Reggie signing affected the team and that, that is what's needed now.

BF4MVP
04-08-2006, 01:03 PM
He said that how the Reggie signing affected the team and that, that is what's needed now.
Well then we just gotta hope MARIO falls to us..He can be that difference maker at DE..I heard the Saints traded one of their starting OL so them drafting Ferguson seems entirely possible..

Favre said today that he'll be long gone before the guys we draft this year make an impact..I agree with that for the most part, but I think the #5 pick will make an impact right away..

Bretsky
04-08-2006, 01:11 PM
Dang it Bretsky, who didya want TT to sign? Make Hutchinson the highest-paid offensive lineman and piss off Clifton and Tauscher, throwing your salary schedule out of whack because you're paying a guard more than a tackle? Don't you realize that's going to have an impact on the Queens? Or was signing Joe Jurevicous going to put the Pack in the Super Bowl? Julian Peterson's an injury question, and LaVar Arrington is an underacheiver.

If Ted had bought every freakin' FA out there it wasn't going to fix stuff. Washington? Minnesota? Those are the poster children for trying to buy your way in, and look where it got them. Do you see Pittsburgh or New England out there buying up a storm? Or Seattle, who signed Burleson, yes, but I'd bet lots of money that had they kept Hutchinson they never would've bothered with Burleson.

HERE WERE SOME VERY GOOD OPTIONS; AS A SIDE NOTE TT DIDN'T HAVE ANY OF THEM IN FOR VISITS. THE POINT IS NOT TO IMMEDIATELY FIX THINGS, BUT..............BUT THERE ARE SO MANY EMPTY PIECES TO THIS PUZZLY MY EXPECTATION IS TT WOULD HAVE HAD A MUCH MUCH BETTER PLAN TO REPLACE THEM ALL AS SOON AS POSSILBE.....AND WITH 35MIL HE COULD HAVE HAD A GREAT START

WILL WITHERSPOON LB
AKIN AYODELE LB
KEVIN MAWAE C
DAVID THORNTON LB
JUSTIN HARTWIG C
SAM MADISON CB
DESHEA TOWSHEND CB
ANDRE DYSON CB
STEPHEN NEAL OG

Fritz
04-08-2006, 01:16 PM
There was no Reggie White in this FA class. The BEST player in this class was an offensive guard. Everyone else is an injury question, a talent question, or a motivation question. Not that you shouldn't try to shore it up a bit. But you don't build a winning team in free agency.

Bretsky
04-08-2006, 01:25 PM
There was no Reggie White in this FA class. The BEST player in this class was an offensive guard. Everyone else is an injury question, a talent question, or a motivation question. Not that you shouldn't try to shore it up a bit. But you don't build a winning team in free agency.

I definitely agree, and even if there was this year GB would not have pursued a Reggie White with so many other holes. But it would have been nice to fill some of these holes with all that money. The players I listed we all good solid players that would have started and filled weaknesses in Green Bay. None broke the bank too bad, and some were youthful guys with experience and good attitudes.

Would TT have ever signed Reggie White if he was out GM years ago ? I kind of doubt it, and at the time Reggie was exactly what the franchise needed to go to the next level.

But right now we need to fill holes, and TT is not doing it. Not sure if he's lowballing, afraid to go after players in free agency, or players don't want to come here. But it's not getting done.

If TT is going to turn this ship around solely through the draft, then we're going to have to wait a while to see a contender.

b bulldog
04-08-2006, 03:53 PM
The two best UFA's of all-time are Reggie and Deion Sanders. It's a nobrainer saying there wasn't a White or Sanders this year but I just posted what the Lord said.

Fritz
04-08-2006, 04:27 PM
Bretsky, I see TT as building primarily through the draft, yes. But I also believe that if the Pack gets close and a FA becomes available who can put the team over the top, he'll pull the trigger.

Bottom line for me is that I just don't think there was much out there in free agency that was going to do much for this team, either short or long term. I'm glad, for example, that he didn't sign Vinatieri. Great kicker, crappy kickoffs - that's what you'd get for making him the highest paid player at his position.