01-10-2010, 07:26 PM
gotta move on

you've had 23 minutes to sulk over the loss

Freak Out
01-10-2010, 07:27 PM
KR as well.

SkinBasket
01-10-2010, 07:28 PM
We need about 3-4 safeties. And an OT or two. Round seven, take a return man. Draft done.

Brandon494
01-10-2010, 07:28 PM
KR as well.

Blackmon

Cheesehead Craig
01-10-2010, 07:29 PM
We need some new posters. Preferrably some stat ones as the ones we have are old.

Brando19
KR as well.

Blackmon

Bullshit.

Bossman641
We also need to not see 3-4 DB's get injured

MOBB DEEP
01-10-2010, 07:30 PM
gotta move on

you've had 23 minutes to sulk over the loss

right! no one died

mere ENTERTAINMENT

Freak Out
01-10-2010, 07:30 PM
KR as well.

Blackmon

Where was he today? :lol:

Brando19
01-10-2010, 07:31 PM
KR as well.

Blackmon

Where was he today? :lol:

Injured...like he has been the majority of his career. You're right, Freak...we need a KR. Brandon494 can defend Blackmon over and over and over...but no matter how talented he is...he's an injury waiting to happen.

red
01-10-2010, 07:32 PM
i agree we have blackmon, so we don't need to draft a guy just because he can return.

but i would make sure we draft a secondary guy that does know how to return kicks. because besides will we have nobody capable of doing the job

we need a better backup return man i guess is what i'm saying

Joemailman
01-10-2010, 07:34 PM
1. OT Bryan Bulaga

2. CB Jerome Murphy

3. SS Harry Coleman

Brohm
01-10-2010, 07:35 PM
OT, S, CB, KR (hopefully the CB can also be KR), OLB depth

Brandon494
01-10-2010, 07:35 PM
KR as well.

Blackmon

Bullshit.

Yea he only holds the franchise record for punts returned for TDs :roll:

2008: 398 punt return yards tied for the third-highest single-season total in team history, his 1,157 kickoff return yards rank fourth, and his combined return yardage total of 1,555 is second in franchise annals

Yea I won't blame you if you dont respond...

Lurker64
01-10-2010, 07:39 PM
We need about 3-4 safeties. And an OT or two. Round seven, take a return man. Draft done.

We should also keep an eye out for an OLB to play opposite Matthews, since eventually Brad Jones is going to expend all of his "awesome for a seventh round pick" cred, and will be judged on his own merits.

Also, "a competent punter" and "a running back with playmaking ability" would be on my wish list.

Brando19
01-10-2010, 07:40 PM
KR as well.

Blackmon

Bullshit.

2008: 398 punt return yards tied for the third-highest single-season total in team history, his 1,157 kickoff return yards rank fourth, and his combined return yardage total of 1,555 is second in franchise annals

I'm responding. Blackmon isn't here when it counts. You forgot to mention after he broke that record he broke a thumbnail and was out 12 months. We need a KR that is reliable...Blackmon can return some punts...but we need to draft someone that will compete with him and when he goes down with an ingrown toenail...we'll still be ok.

Brandon494
01-10-2010, 07:44 PM
KR as well.

Blackmon

Bullshit.

I'm responding. Blackmon isn't here when it counts. You forgot to mention after he broke that record he broke a thumbnail and was out 12 months. We need a KR that is reliable...Blackmon can return some punts...but we need to draft someone that will compete with him and when he goes down with an ingrown toenail...we'll still be ok.

He tore his ACL making a cut back just like Welker did last week, how is that breaking a thumbnail.

I do agree we need another player who can return kicks in case blackmon isnt able to go because I think we all know Nelson is not the answer. We prob would have seen T Will more if not for the Harris injury as well.

Brandon494
01-10-2010, 07:46 PM

We should also keep an eye out for an OLB to play opposite Matthews, since eventually Brad Jones is going to expend all of his "awesome for a seventh round pick" cred, and will be judged on his own merits.

Also, "a competent punter" and "a running back with playmaking ability" would be on my wish list.

Jason Worlds from Virginia Tech would be a nice 2nd round pick IMO. Dude is great at rushing the passer and pretty much played with one arm all season. Reminds me a lot of James Harrison from the Steelers.

Joemailman
01-10-2010, 07:48 PM
We definitely need a kick returner. Blackmon is injury prone, and T-Will may be the starting CB next year, so MM won't want to use him on returns.

SkinBasket
01-10-2010, 08:05 PM

I don't know if I agree with this. Jones played well in most of the games, and everyone has a bad game here or there, especially rookies. I think his overall result was more positive than negative, although we do need some depth there, since we all know what Poppinga is.

And Ryan Grant is a bit of a fairy, but @1200 yards, I'm not looking to replace him immediately.

Punter... yes.

retailguy
01-10-2010, 08:07 PM
STRONG SAFETY.

ThunderDan
01-10-2010, 08:10 PM
We need a LT to take Clifton's spot. Lang becomes RT.
We need another young CB that can play. Bush is not acceptable on the roster. I hope Lee can play.
Depth at OLB.
Safety to push Bigby and create depth.
A 5th WR that can return kicks/punts
A change of pace RB would be nice also.
Punter but we should be able to find one in a bar.
Another young DT to help solidify the DL.

Lurker64
01-10-2010, 08:26 PM
I don't know if I agree with this. Jones played well in most of the games, and everyone has a bad game here or there, especially rookies. I think his overall result was more positive than negative, although we do need some depth there, since we all know what Poppinga is.

And Ryan Grant is a bit of a fairy, but @1200 yards, I'm not looking to replace him immediately.

Punter... yes.

Well, I'm just saying that it's difficult to judge Brad Jones fairly as he has a lot of things going for him that emphasize his successes and de-emphasize his failures. We ought to keep our eyes open for another pass rusher, as a pretty good one might fall to us (Jerry Hughes in the 2nd, for example).

Grant isn't really in need of replacing since he's a guy who's good for 20 carries a game and will put up numbers, but he's not really a threat to score from anywhere on the field. We've shied away from some of the smaller, shiftier, backs in positions where we could have gotten them (e.g. Ray Rice, Steve Slaton) who did all right for their teams. Our running backs behind Grant currently consist of Brandon Jackson who is decent in the open field and is a great blocker on third down but can't really carry the ball, and Ahman Green who is some sort of hybrid "RBs coach"/"power back" at this point of his career. Next year we could be a sane team and keep only 2 FBs so maybe we'd have a spot for a different kind of RB.

Punters though, I don't know where good punters come from. I'm not sure anybody else does. I think the top punter in this draft is a guy named "Zoltan".

Brando19
01-10-2010, 08:30 PM
KR as well.

Blackmon

Bullshit.

He tore his ACL making a cut back just like Welker did last week, how is that breaking a thumbnail.

I do agree we need another player who can return kicks when blackmon isnt able to go because I think we all know Nelson is not the answer. We prob would have seen T Will more if not for the Harris injury as well.

Fixed. 8-)

Lurker64
01-10-2010, 08:34 PM
I don't think there's anything wrong with Blackmon as a player, but we do need to look for another returner in the offseason. He tore an ACL mid-season and he's not going to be ready to jump back into his game (which involves a lot of cutting and running) by September. Blackmon was good, but the shelf life on returners is very short.

mission
01-11-2010, 09:21 AM
What's our draft position now?

That might be the only positive from yesterday.

red
01-11-2010, 09:29 AM
What's our draft position now?

That might be the only positive from yesterday.

not positive

23-26 though

Joemailman
01-12-2010, 09:05 PM
Looks like 23. http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftorder2010.php

Last year the 23rd pick was Michael Oher. Wouldn't mind something similar.

Bretsky
01-12-2010, 09:06 PM
Looks like 23. http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftorder2010.php

Last year the 23rd pick was Michael Oher. Wouldn't mind something similar.

ditto; long term we might wish we'd have taken Michael Oher

Brando19
01-12-2010, 09:09 PM
Maybe we can trade our 23rd pick for Michael Oher? :lol: Baltimore gets their pick back and we get our Left Tackle! Then I wake up and realize it was all just a wet dream.

ThunderDan
01-12-2010, 09:16 PM
Maybe we can trade our 23rd pick for Michael Oher? :lol: Baltimore gets their pick back and we get our Left Tackle! Then I wake up and realize it was all just a wet dream.

I would trade the pick and AK to Cleveland for Joe Thomas.

Bretsky
01-12-2010, 09:35 PM

so would the other 30 teams; unfortunately IMO the Browns would laugh at the offer

Freak Out
01-12-2010, 09:54 PM

so would the other 30 teams; unfortunately IMO the Browns would laugh at the offer

The Walrus owes us one.

Joemailman
01-12-2010, 10:15 PM
Didn't the Walrus stop trading with the Packers following the Ahman Green deal?

ThunderDan
01-12-2010, 11:05 PM

If course they would, I postulated back in week 4 that we should trade AK and get a stud LT. Joe Thomas was my choice as a Badger!

Ballboy
01-13-2010, 02:06 AM
I think this off season maybe interesting.....does TT see us as a team that is a player(FA player) or two away from the SB? If so, would he go against the grain and possibly be a player in the FA market?

Rookies for the MOST part don't make huge impacts....but would a Joshua Cribbs look good. Richard Seymor to add more depth?

packrulz
01-13-2010, 05:34 AM
LT, S, RB (with breakaway speed), are immediate needs, CB, OLB, WR/KR for depth. I wouldn't draft a punter or kicker, TT can bring in some undrafted free agents after the draft to compete. He may want to draft a QB, if ARod goes down they need depth.

Gunakor
01-13-2010, 05:58 AM
i agree we have blackmon, so we don't need to draft a guy just because he can return.

but i would make sure we draft a secondary guy that does know how to return kicks. because besides will we have nobody capable of doing the job

we need a better backup return man i guess is what i'm saying

I would like to, if possible, kill 2 birds with one stone. Draft a RB to replace Ahman Green on 3rd downs, one who has the same hands as Green catching passes out in the flat and the same ability to pick up and slow down a blitz, and also has the vision, agility, and speed to be a reliable return man once Blackmon finds his way onto IR once again.

This is the second year in a row that our secondary has become very thin due to injury. I'd rather our backup KR/PR come from the offense so that next year when all of our backup cornerbacks get injured we aren't suddenly desparate for a return man on top of it all.

Zool
01-13-2010, 10:02 AM
I watched USF play NIU. What do we know about that OLB from USF? Selvie gets all the pub but that kid looked like a player. I think it was Jacquain Williams?

Smidgeon
01-13-2010, 10:16 AM
Every year, it never fails. As soon as I've stopped moping about the Packer's season ending loss (or the end of the regular season) or come down from the Super Bowl winning euphoria (sadly only once in my life), I meander my way over to the various mock drafts for April's annual party to see who the collective pundit hive mind predict the Packers will draft.

And every year I see the same trend. I see the Packers on the list for a certain player. Said certain player is supposed to be good but slip through the ranks for a variety of reasons. One year it was Felix Jones slipping past the Cowboys. One year it was Mario Williams slipping past the Texans. One year it was Marshawn Lynch slipping past the Bills. Last year it was Andre Smith slipping past the Bengals.

Every year the same thing happens. Early in the process I see someone on the pundits' collective radar for the Pack that I can get a little excited about. And every year, by the time the draft comes around, that players value has skyrocketed or improved to the point that the Pack has no chance at him. Granted, twice players slipped to the Pack that I didn't expect. Rodgers and Raji (and Crabtree, but I guess I trust the people paid to make that decision that the decision will work out the best in the long run).

So when I'm hearing and seeing a lot of sites and people say that Spiller will slip to GB at #23, I know there's no chance. Now I'm seeing Baluga from Iowa slipping to the Pack. More feasible, but probably still no chance.

So my question becomes: who is the high profile, impact type player who has the best chance to slip to the Pack (a la Rodgers), and who is likely to be around when the Pack picks since Spiller and Baluga will be long gone per trend?

denverYooper
01-13-2010, 10:22 AM
I think this off season maybe interesting.....does TT see us as a team that is a player(FA player) or two away from the SB? If so, would he go against the grain and possibly be a player in the FA market?

Rookies for the MOST part don't make huge impacts....but would a Joshua Cribbs look good. Richard Seymor to add more depth?

I believe that he's said before, in his very diplomatic way, that he would be a big player for that extra piece or two that would make the team a SB contender.

Not sure if FA will yield much in the way of what we need, unless Cribbs can somehow be done. I'd think he'd almost have to swing a trade to get a T or S who can help out.

hoosier
01-13-2010, 12:28 PM
Every year, it never fails. As soon as I've stopped moping about the Packer's season ending loss (or the end of the regular season) or come down from the Super Bowl winning euphoria (sadly only once in my life), I meander my way over to the various mock drafts for April's annual party to see who the collective pundit hive mind predict the Packers will draft.

And every year I see the same trend. I see the Packers on the list for a certain player. Said certain player is supposed to be good but slip through the ranks for a variety of reasons. One year it was Felix Jones slipping past the Cowboys. One year it was Mario Williams slipping past the Texans. One year it was Marshawn Lynch slipping past the Bills. Last year it was Andre Smith slipping past the Bengals.

Every year the same thing happens. Early in the process I see someone on the pundits' collective radar for the Pack that I can get a little excited about. And every year, by the time the draft comes around, that players value has skyrocketed or improved to the point that the Pack has no chance at him. Granted, twice players slipped to the Pack that I didn't expect. Rodgers and Raji (and Crabtree, but I guess I trust the people paid to make that decision that the decision will work out the best in the long run).

So when I'm hearing and seeing a lot of sites and people say that Spiller will slip to GB at #23, I know there's no chance. Now I'm seeing Baluga from Iowa slipping to the Pack. More feasible, but probably still no chance.

So my question becomes: who is the high profile, impact type player who has the best chance to slip to the Pack (a la Rodgers), and who is likely to be around when the Pack picks since Spiller and Baluga will be long gone per trend?

The answer to your question is, nobody knows. When TT drafted ARod nobody knew what kind of impact he would make as a pro, and even after his first year a lot of observers were ready to write him off as a bust. The only thing that is safe to say about the 2010 draft is that unless the Packers draft someone who can return kicks or they get extremely lucky, their #1 will have a limited impact next year. And for after that there is no formula to predict success in the pros. Unless, of course, you buy into Waldo's theory about correlation between certain measurables and certain positions.

Smidgeon
01-13-2010, 12:34 PM

The answer to your question is, nobody knows. When TT drafted ARod nobody knew what kind of impact he would make as a pro, and even after his first year a lot of observers were ready to write him off as a bust. The only thing that is safe to say about the 2010 draft is that unless the Packers draft someone who can return kicks or they get extremely lucky, their #1 will have a limited impact next year. And for after that there is no formula to predict success in the pros. Unless, of course, you buy into Waldo's theory about correlation between certain measurables and certain positions.

I know that's the reasonable answer, but I don't want reasonable. I want to know who they're going to pick. And sadly, because they are picking #23, it isn't going to be a homerun pick. Over under on TT trading out of the first round?

MJZiggy
01-13-2010, 09:24 PM
Wasn't ARod the 23rd pick? That pick is pretty far beyond home run.

Joemailman
01-13-2010, 09:39 PM
Clay Matthews was #26. Not sure I understand the logic.

MJZiggy
01-13-2010, 09:47 PM
Clay Matthews was #26. Not sure I understand the logic.

That was my point, love.

Joemailman
01-13-2010, 10:56 PM
I wasn't referring to your logic, darlin'.

Zool
01-13-2010, 11:04 PM
Do one of you sweetie pies have an answer to my earlier question?

Where are all the real draft nerds? I'm a poser so I need some help.

packrulz
01-14-2010, 05:38 AM
I've been looking at left tackles and running backs mostly, because they have the best chance of success as a first round pick. Spiller (RB) and Bulaga (OT), will both be long gone, and there is always a run on OT's in the first round, so CB or Safety could be a possibility. OT's that might still be there: Trent Williams, Okla., Bruce Campbell, Maryland, Ciron Black, LSU, & Charles Brown, (yes, Charlie Brown), USC.
Running Backs: Joe McKnight, USC, Jahvid Best, California., Ryan Mathews, Fresno, Jonathan Dwyer, Ga Tech, & Toby Gerhart, Stanford.
Safety: Taylor Mays, USC.
CB: Donovan Warren, Mich., (looks like not many first round CB's)
OLB: Navarro Bowman, Penn St., Rennie Curran, Ga., & Jerry Hughes, TCU.
QB: Colt McCoy, Texas, & Tim Tebow, Florida.

red
01-14-2010, 09:09 AM
I watched USF play NIU. What do we know about that OLB from USF? Selvie gets all the pub but that kid looked like a player. I think it was Jacquain Williams?

he was a juco all american last year, sounds like he was very highly sought after. 4 star recruit

he's only a junior and i don't think he's declared at this point

Zool
01-14-2010, 09:14 AM

he was a juco all american last year, sounds like he was very highly sought after. 4 star recruit

Ahh thanks Red. Is it in Feb or March that players need to declare?

Lurker64
01-14-2010, 11:44 AM

I don't think he's elligible, since this latest season was his first season out of community college. He's a guy to put on your radar for next year, though. USF has kind of developed a reputation (deserved or not) as a "thugs and criminals school" though, so a little digging is in order.

ThunderDan
01-14-2010, 12:34 PM

Ahh thanks Red. Is it in Feb or March that players need to declare?

They have to declare by tomorrow.

Lurker64
01-24-2010, 10:29 PM
I think we should bump this for our Vikings friends who have just recently joined us in the offseason.

So, Ras, any idea about what you're looking for at #30?

Joemailman
01-24-2010, 11:55 PM

Really, I think it might be Bulaga, as his thyroid condition might scare some teams off. Taylor Mays is also a possibility. Had a disappointing year at USC. He has his weaknesses, but would be an improvement over Bigby.

red
01-25-2010, 09:02 AM
I think we should bump this for our Vikings friends who have just recently joined us in the offseason.

i really think they need to maybe look at qb with their 1st pick

if favre is gone, then they don't have a decent qb on the roster. sage and t-jack i don't think are going get this team playing at the level they did this year

tebow and colt mccoy are both probably going to be available at the end of round one. and honestly, jimmy clausen is not going to go as high has most mocks have him going. a lot of experts say he's not a first round talent

Lurker64
01-25-2010, 09:34 AM
tebow and colt mccoy are both probably going to be available at the end of round one. and honestly, jimmy clausen is not going to go as high has most mocks have him going. a lot of experts say he's not a first round talent

They'll be available, but they're also not first round talents. If the Vikings are going to put a QB on top of their list, they might want to trade down into the early second.

Smidgeon
01-25-2010, 10:25 AM

if favre is gone, then they don't have a decent qb on the roster. sage and t-jack i don't think are going get this team playing at the level they did this year

I'm secretly hoping for Sage Rosenfels to win the job and perform well as a QB. Same for Seneca Wallace in Seattle once Hasselback hangs 'em up. There are so few players from the school I went to in the NFL. There are those two QBs, Ellis Hobbs, and (I think) a D-lineman or two. I think the Panthers have one in Jordan Gross. We gotta stick together.

red
01-25-2010, 11:33 AM
looks like they maybe should be looking for a cb too

antoine winfield, was hurt a lot this year and is getting up in age

and last night cedric griffin might have blown out an acl on the OT kickoff

mngolf19
01-25-2010, 01:53 PM

Thanks. I think. :)

mngolf19
01-25-2010, 02:02 PM
Kiper's mock has the Vikes taking the CB from FSU. I could see that. Clausen will be gone for sure. While some don't like him, there are more between the Vikes and him that do. Kiper has him going to Sea. I agree that McCoy would be worth looking at but not in first round. I see needs as CB, LB, S, QB, RB. I know that last one seems weird but I have a funny feeling that if AP isn't willing to work on his fumbles again this summer, they may look at trades. Vikes will likely go BPA most of the way. And it's always a good idea to draft OL/DL.

For the future of Vikes QB I see lots of possibilities. Favre another year, McNabb as soon as available, Hasselbeck becoming avail, or possibly becoming more run oriented again with Sage.

Lurker64
01-25-2010, 02:56 PM
With Winfield being 32 and coming off his worst season as a professional (though injury had a lot to do with that) and Cedric Griffen tearing an ACL (apparently) in the NFC championship game, I think taking a CB definitely would be a good move for the Vikes.

I think the Vikings should be looking for a CB, and a QB (McCoy would fit in well to Childress's offense) in the first two rounds. That being said, this is a good year for DTs and the Williams duo is getting up there in age (and may face suspension next year), so I wouldn't be surprised to see them take a Vince Oghobaase or an Arthur Jones in the first three too. I also hear rumblings from Vikings fans about their offensive line being a question mark. Hutchinson is getting up there in age and didn't play all that well (though he had a shoulder injury) and the right interior isn't entirely settled. So I wouldn't be surprised if the Vikings take Idaho G Mike Iupati who is an absolute mauler of a guard and would probably be an immediate upgrade over Herrera and an eventual successor for Hutchinson.

Joemailman
01-25-2010, 04:42 PM

For what it's worth, latest Sporting News mock has the Vikings taking Clausen.

Lurker64
01-25-2010, 05:18 PM

I sincerely doubt that he'll last to 30. Sure, he may not really deserve to be a first round pick, but most teams picking QBs in the first round are doing so based on need, not on value. There are enough teams who are looking to pick up a QB of the future this year that Clausen will probably go much higher than he should.

If he makes it past St. Louis , Washington, Seattle twice, Cleveland, Oakland, Buffalo, Denver, and Jacksonville, then Arizona might grab him in case Warner announces his retirement (which I'd put at 50/50.)

Heck, Philadelphia might grab a falling QB in case they trade McNabb and/or they don't think that much of Kolb.

mission
01-25-2010, 05:36 PM

Sporting News guy must be a Packers fan... I'd love that pick. :wink:

Lurker64
01-25-2010, 05:48 PM

Sporting News guy must be a Packers fan... I'd love that pick. :wink:

I wouldn't get too excited until I find out who the Packers are getting.

Joemailman
01-25-2010, 05:53 PM

I sincerely doubt that he'll last to 30. Sure, he may not really deserve to be a first round pick, but most teams picking QBs in the first round are doing so based on need, not on value. There are enough teams who are looking to pick up a QB of the future this year that Clausen will probably go much higher than he should.

If he makes it past St. Louis , Washington, Seattle twice, Cleveland, Oakland, Buffalo, Denver, and Jacksonville, then Arizona might grab him in case Warner announces his retirement (which I'd put at 50/50.)

Heck, Philadelphia might grab a falling QB in case they trade McNabb and/or they don't think that much of Kolb.

Sometimes when guys start to slide though, they slide farther than they should. Who thought we'd get Arod at 23? 2 years ago, Sporting News had Brady Quinn rated much lower than most people. They turned out to be right, so who knows?

mngolf19
01-26-2010, 01:00 PM
I think Vikes trade for a QB before the draft. Like possibly a 2nd for McNabb or Hasselbeck.

SkinBasket
01-26-2010, 03:23 PM
I think Vikes trade for a QB before the draft. Like possibly a 2nd for McNabb or Hasselbeck.

You must be hallucinating if you think McNabb's going anywhere. Much less for a 2nd round pick. Seattle's got crap behind Hasselbeck too, so I would think that's not going to happen either.

red
01-26-2010, 04:48 PM
i'm seeing a lot of love on here(in other threads that are not the official draft thread) for taylor mays

my god i would vomit if we pick him

the guy is a physical freak, big strong and fast, that is all

he has a football IQ close to zero. i think it would be a disaster to have him in our secondary

TT's one MO, the thing pretty much all of his draft picks have had is that they all know the game very well

red
01-26-2010, 04:55 PM
the guys i've been seeing a lot in the last few days for us are usually tackles.

brian bulaga from iowa
trent williams from oklahoma
anthory davis from rutgers
bruce campbell from maryland
charles brown from USC

seems like nobody knows how those 5 tackles are going to go off the board. i've seen them going in every order available. i've seen every one of those guys in the top 10, and i've also seen most of them out of the first round

patrick robinson from florida state is the other guy that seems to be a popular pick for us. he's the #2 cb in the draft and is the latest in a pretty decent line of shut down corners to come out of FSU

Lurker64
01-26-2010, 04:57 PM
Mays is a bigger, stronger, faster, lighter skinned, Aaron Rouse. Do we need Aaron Rouse 2.0?

rbaloha1
01-26-2010, 06:41 PM
Mays is a bigger, stronger, faster, lighter skinned, Aaron Rouse. Do we need Aaron Rouse 2.0?

Prior to injuries Mays was a top ten pick. An Atwater clone with more speed. Unsure about coverage ability but another physical presence for the defense. A steal if available.

red
01-26-2010, 06:44 PM

Prior to injuries Mays was a top ten pick. An Atwater clone with more speed. Unsure about coverage ability but another physical presence for the defense. A steal if available.

he has no coverage ability, that's the problem

he's a physical freak. period

he managed to stay alive in college, but he'll be eaten alive in the pros

he was a top 10 pick based on potential last year, he didn't improve this year. that's why he's slipping

Iron Mike
01-26-2010, 06:54 PM
I'm up for Babalugats.

http://www.artsjournal.com/artopia/images/Hopper.jpg

mraynrand
01-26-2010, 07:02 PM

WHAT ABOUT VICK DA GREAT!!!?? VICK DA GREAT to da VIKES ppl! THINK about the ENTERTAINMENT!!!! DAYUM. lol

Bretsky
01-26-2010, 08:44 PM
the guys i've been seeing a lot in the last few days for us are usually tackles.

brian bulaga from iowa
trent williams from oklahoma
anthory davis from rutgers
bruce campbell from maryland
charles brown from USC

seems like nobody knows how those 5 tackles are going to go off the board. i've seen them going in every order available. i've seen every one of those guys in the top 10, and i've also seen most of them out of the first round

patrick robinson from florida state is the other guy that seems to be a popular pick for us. he's the #2 cb in the draft and is the latest in a pretty decent line of shut down corners to come out of FSU

long list; you including Terrell Buckley ? :lol:

The Leaper
01-26-2010, 08:48 PM
i'm seeing a lot of love on here(in other threads that are not the official draft thread) for taylor mays

he has a football IQ close to zero. i think it would be a disaster to have him in our secondary

I am in complete agreement with you Red...Taylor Mays is Bigby, just a little more athletically gifted.

We need some DBs who can actually react and make a play on a ball in coverage.

SkinBasket
01-26-2010, 08:59 PM

I am in complete agreement with you Red...Taylor Mays is Bigby, just a little more athletically gifted.

http://www.maniacworld.com/i-have-no-legs-song.jpg

Bretsky
01-26-2010, 09:08 PM

Come on..........Mays is a lot more athletically gifted than Bigby

that being said I have reservations with him and would not draft him in round one

5 picks in his college career ? He might end up as a LB......like Thomas Davis did. He's a big risk. I'm be elated with him in round two but not one

packrulz
01-27-2010, 06:11 AM
I'm beginning to think RB might be TT's best option in the first round, there's always a run on OT's so the good ones will be gone, all the safeties have question marks, and I love Grant but he doesn't have the breakaway speed to score consistently. Here's the scouting reports on a couple RB's who might still be there when TT picks:
Jonathan Dwyer Scouting Report
Projected Draft Position
by FFToolbox Writers
FFToolbox User Mock Drafts
34% used Jonathan Dwyer in their first round mock.
The teams most often chosen were:
SD (32%), NE (10%), SEA (10%), HOU (10%)
Position: RB
School & Year/Status: Georgia Tech - Junior
Jersey Number: #21
Height & Weight: 6-0 - 235 lbs.
Ranked #15 on our Top 100 Prospects Board

2010 NFL Draft Prospect Scouting Report:
person
Jonathan Dwyer, RB, Georgia Tech
Jonathan Dwyer has taken advantage of the new system brought in by Coach Paul Johnson at Georgia Tech. Yet, his collegiate career started in 2007 under a more traditional offense. As a backup to Tashard Choice as a true freshman, Dwyer carried the ball 82 times for 436 yards and nine touchdowns. Obviously those numbers went way up when Coach Johnson showed up at Georgia Tech and Choice went off to the NFL. As a sophomore Dwyer turned into one of the most productive backs in the nation, rushing 200 times for 1,395 yards and 12 scores.

Dwyer's yards per carry average has gone down a little bit during the 2009 season, mostly due to ACC opposition getting used to the spread option offense the Yellow Jackets employ, but he is still averaging over 100 rushing yards per game through nine contests in the 2009 campaign.

At 6-0 and 235 pounds, Dwyer is the bruising back on the team and NFL scouts have taken notice. Dwyer is one of the best draft eligible running backs out there and he should be a first round draft pick if he opts to go pro early; at this point that seems like a logical choice.

1/17 Update: Dwyer finished up his junior year rushing for 1,395 yards on 235 carries and 14 touchdowns. The Yellow Jackets' ground attack flourished as expected and Dwyer was the main back on the team. He has opted to forgo his senior season at Georgia Tech and enter the NFL and he should at least be a second round selection barring a surprisingly bad showing at the workouts.

Last Updated Jan-17-2010 by Joel Welser

Jahvid Best Scouting Report
Projected Draft Position
by FFToolbox Writers
FFToolbox User Mock Drafts
50% used Jahvid Best in their first round mock.
SD (19%), NE (15%), SEA (14%), GB (7%)
Position: RB
School & Year/Status: California - Junior
Jersey Number: #4
Height & Weight: 5'10 - 195 lbs.
Ranked #62 on our Top 100 Prospects Board

person
Jahvid Best, RB, California
Best began his career at Cal playing a limited role in 2007 (29 rushed 221 yards 2 TDs), but he exploded in his sophomore campaign. In a season for the ages, the 5-foot-11 back rushed for 1,580 yards, the second most total yarded in school history (J.J. Arrington's 2,018 effort in 2004 tops the list) with a whopping 8.1 yards per carry average -- topping the list of Oregon backs (with more than 150 carries). For good measure, he tied Arrington's record of 15 touchdowns, finishing the 2008 season with a MVP performance in the Emerald Bowl (186 yards-9.3 per carry-2 TDs).

Best possess an excellent inside quickness that enables him to hit the holes in a hurry. He has a special talent for cutting back in traffic, and gets top speed (4.42) as quickly as any back in the country. Fast enough to get to the corner before the defender arrives, Best owns a second and even a third gear in the secondary. Able to break tackles on the outside, and elusive in space with shifty hips and the ability to shake off defenders. With good overall balance well after making a move or running through arm tackles, Best is a good receiver out of the backfield (16 catches for 221 in 2008) with natural hands.

However, Best needs to be more physical at this point. He is a liability in pass protection; he tends to throw his shoulder instead of moving his feet to get in position for the block. Best needs to prove he can get the tough yards inside.

Best is the most highly regarded running back prospect coming into this year. He has the combination of size (if he bulks up a bit) and speed NFL teams covet. He has first round talent and should be the second back selected after Georgia Tech's Jonathan Dwyer.

Last Updated Oct-24-2009 by Raul Colon

Lurker64
01-27-2010, 10:23 AM
Dwyer's a guy with tremendous upside, but he's a very risky pick. He was the pitch-man in Georgia Tech's triple option, where he was successful, but the issue was that he was successful largely on plays where he already had the corner before he got the ball. You won't find a RB in this draft with a better mixture of speed and power, but the guy didn't have to make his own reads in college and zone running is all about reads from the RB. I kind of hope we don't pick him.

Best is a good player, but I think 23 is a little high for him. The only RB I'd consider taking in the first is Spiller. There's a whole lot of good 2nd and 3rd round RBs this year.

mission
01-27-2010, 10:31 AM
Dwyer's a guy with tremendous upside, but he's a very risky pick. He was the pitch-man in Georgia Tech's triple option, where he was successful, but the issue was that he was successful largely on plays where he already had the corner before he got the ball. You won't find a RB in this draft with a better mixture of speed and power, but the guy didn't have to make his own reads in college and zone running is all about reads from the RB. I kind of hope we don't pick him.

Best is a good player, but I think 23 is a little high for him. The only RB I'd consider taking in the first is Spiller. There's a whole lot of good 2nd and 3rd round RBs this year.

Dwyer always seemed like the guy who got the ball up the middle from 4-5 yards deep (quick hits) and the younger guy (cant remember his name) took a lot more of the outside stuff from Nesbit. My girl is a big Tech fan and we watched a lot of games... that was always my worry this season with some people talking about him being a top prospect. Seemed like the option would spread the red sea every now and then and he'd hit it up in the hole... he reminds me a lot more of Grant than any of these other guys. I''d bet he'll be good but I don't see a lot of quick twitch or open-field elusiveness with him.

packrulz
01-28-2010, 05:25 AM
Edited, sorry.

SkinBasket
01-28-2010, 08:09 AM
1st: Earl Thomas
2nd: Charles Brown

red
01-28-2010, 08:27 AM
1st- iupati
2nd- selvish capers

=our o-line problems are gone for a long time

Lurker64
01-28-2010, 09:54 AM
1st Brandon Graham
2nd Selvish Capers
3rd Myron Rolle
4th LeGarette Blount

Smidgeon
01-28-2010, 10:07 AM
1st Brandon Graham
2nd Selvish Capers
3rd Myron Rolle
4th LeGarette Blount

Would you consider that a tantalizing draft?

mission
01-28-2010, 11:14 AM
1st Brandon Graham
2nd Selvish Capers
3rd Myron Rolle
4th LeGarette Blount

I'd be more than fine with that draft. Lots of intrigue in those picks.

mngolf19
01-28-2010, 12:40 PM

You must be hallucinating if you think McNabb's going anywhere. Much less for a 2nd round pick. Seattle's got crap behind Hasselbeck too, so I would think that's not going to happen either.

Minneapolis paper says Vikes asked last year and he was available but at too steep a price. Now that he only has 1 yr left on his contract, the expectation is that the price has come down. And the connections on Vikes to McNabb are many going back to college.

Seattle is going to draft Clausen.

Smidgeon
01-28-2010, 12:58 PM
1st Brandon Graham
2nd Selvish Capers
3rd Myron Rolle
4th LeGarette Blount

I only ask because I'm no (real) draftnik. Isn't Rolle the one who studied at Oxford as a Rhodes scholar? And isn't Blount the one who got in trouble in the NCAA recently for something?

denverYooper
01-28-2010, 01:01 PM
1st Brandon Graham
2nd Selvish Capers
3rd Myron Rolle
4th LeGarette Blount

Would love to see Graham in our LB corps. I think he'd make that a pretty terrifying unit. Not sure abt Capers unless we re-sign Cliffy and get the young buck a year of seasoning.

red
01-28-2010, 01:06 PM
1st Brandon Graham
2nd Selvish Capers
3rd Myron Rolle
4th LeGarette Blount

I only ask because I'm no (real) draftnik. Isn't Rolle the one who studied at Oxford as a Rhodes scholar? And isn't Blount the one who got in trouble in the NCAA recently for something?

blount was the one that punched a fan after the first game of the season and was suspended for most of the year

i'd pass on him, and besides, isn't he pretty much the same kind of back as grant? i would rather have a change of pace back, someone fast speedy, can catch. like cj spiller, or if not him someone in that type of mold

red
01-28-2010, 01:39 PM
watch for ciron black from LSU

guy was suppose to be a 1st round pick last year but decided to stay for his senior year. he's now projected as a second or third rounder

guys been a starter at LSU from day one and has never missed a game

Lurker64
01-28-2010, 02:13 PM
blount was the one that punched a fan after the first game of the season and was suspended for most of the year

i'd pass on him, and besides, isn't he pretty much the same kind of back as grant? i would rather have a change of pace back, someone fast speedy, can catch. like cj spiller, or if not him someone in that type of mold

It wasn't actually a fan, it was Byron Hout, Boise State Defensive end who had taunted him seconds before. It's not acceptable, but he's done pretty much everything else right since. I don't think that Blount is that much like Grant, I think he's a much more interesting prospect who will drop because of the Boise State issue. Blount is a guy without much wiggle, but he's very big, very strong, he hits the hole hard, and he runs very fast in a straight line. Teach him to recognize the right hole in his zone read, and he could be a great back in this system.

If he hadn't gotten into trouble, and he had a senior year comparable to his Jr. year, he'd probably be an early second round pick. So I think the fourth round is a good time for him.

The problem I see with our RB corps is that we really have just one type of guy: Jackson, Wynn, Grant, and Lumpkin are all pretty much the same kind of back. What we don't have is a big, powerful, bruising back for short yardage (though Ahman filled that role last year) and a speedy change of pace back. I would be happy picking up either in this draft. McCluster would be a good pickup, but damned if I know where he's going.

Joemailman
01-28-2010, 03:34 PM
watch for ciron black from LSU

guy was suppose to be a 1st round pick last year but decided to stay for his senior year. he's now projected as a second or third rounder

guys been a starter at LSU from day one and has never missed a game

Tons of experience, and not a bad player. Yet, despite being a starting LT for 4 years at LSU, he is rated no higher than #10 among OT prospects this year. The knock on him seems to be he just doesn't play up to his abilities. I wouldn't mind the Packes taking him, but not before the 3rd round.

packrulz
01-30-2010, 09:43 AM
Selvish Capers Scouting Report
Projected Draft Position
by FFToolbox Writers

ARI (12%), DAL (12%), GB (10%), PIT (7%)
Position: OT
School & Year/Status: West Virginia - Senior
Jersey Number: #66
Height & Weight: 6-5 - 298 lbs.
Ranked #83 on our Top 100 Prospects Board

person
Selvish Capers, OT, West Virginia
Selvish Capers started his collegiate career at West Virginia as a tight end. He played there as a redshirt freshman in 2006 in a limited capacity. During the off-season (heading into the 2007 campaign), Capers was moved to the offensive line. Capers started that season as a back up, but by the middle of the season he secured the starting position at right tackle and has been there ever since. Capers has helped pave the way for some great rushing offenses. In 2006, the Mountaineers ranked third in the nation in rushing offense. In 2008 the team ranked 15th in the nation. Capers deserves a lot of credit for those impressive numbers.

Capers has a little room to put on more weight and at this point he is better suited as a right tackle rather than a left tackle; that will move him down most draft boards. Capers is certainly a capable player who has great footwork, yet his best asset is his ability to stay healthy. Capers has been a starter since the 2007 season and has not missed a game since.

Capers is not one of the top linemen in this class, but he could develop into a quality NFL player sooner or later, and that should make him worth a mid or late round selection.

1/24 Update: Capers finished the 2009 season relatively strong and that has led to some NFL scouts taking notice. Capers is still not one of the best offensive tackles around, but he has been invited to the NFL Combine and he can certainly work his way up into the second round with a good showing in Indianapolis. Mostly he needs to show the NFL that he can be a consistent pass blocker since he played college ball on a team that loved to run the ball.

Maxie the Taxi
01-30-2010, 10:12 AM
I'm a fan of Maurkice Pouncy, C, Florida.

He's 6'5", 318 and the best center by far to come out of the draft in a while. Plus, he can play guard and tackle. He's fast, smart and has unimpeachable character and work ethic. Started every game for the Gators this year, I believe.

If TT wanted to break precedent and draft a center in the first round, Pouncy would be a Packer. Hell, he can say he drafted a guard.

Why gamble on guys like Ciron Black and Selvish Capers who have a lot of question marks, when you could have an elite guy in Pouncy?

Plus, I've seen the guy in action many times. Can't go wrong.

Pouncy would give the Packers a true, elite, long-term center. Spitz and Wells could fight it out for a place on the roster, maybe at guard.

Not only that, I'd draft his brother, Mike Pouncy, next year.

packrulz
01-30-2010, 12:12 PM
01/11/2010 - Florida junior offensive lineman Maurkice Pouncey (Lakeland, Fla.) will declare for the 2010 NFL Draft, while his twin brother Mike Pouncey (Lakeland, Fla.), also a junior offensive lineman, plans to return for his senior season. "This is one of the biggest decisions I have ever made in my life," Maurkice Pouncey said. "I am glad that my brother and I made the decision to be Gators. God gave us the knowledge, strength and ability to be great players, but it is now time for my brother and me to part ways." "I'm very excited to come back and wear the Orange and Blue for the 2010 season," said Mike Pouncey. "I'm looking forward to being a leader on this team, having the opportunity to play center and continuing to learn from Coach Steve Addazio. It has been an honor to play here, so I can't wait to run out into The Swamp for another year." Maurkice Pouncey tallied 40 career starts over his three seasons and was the winner of the 2009 Rimington Trophy, presented to the best center in the nation. He is the first Gator to win the award. Maurkice also garnered recognition as a first-team All-American by Walter Camp, the FWAA, Sporting News and CBSSports.com. Both Maurkice and Mike received second-team All-America and first-team All-SEC recognition from the Associated Press. - Florida football 2010 NFL Draft Prospect Scouting Report:
person
Maurkice Pouncey, C, Florida
Pouncey has been a mainstay of Florida's offensive line right from the start, which for him was in 2007. He played in 13 games as a freshman, starting 11 at right tackle; he has been the starting tackle for the Gators ever since. Pouncey helped pave the way for a dynamic offense in 2008 en route to an undefeated season and National Championship. More of the same continued this season, even though 2009 ended in disappointment with a loss to Alabama in the SEC Championship. The Gator offense finished first in the conference in an incredible amount of categories, including total yards (5,751, or 442.4 per game), rushing yards (2,928), and rushing yards per carry (5.6). Pouncey's honors include a spot on the All-SEC Freshman Team (2007) and this year's Rimington Trophy, which he won for being the nation's most outstanding center.

Pouncey has a rare combination of size and speed, ideal for anchoring the middle of an offensive line. He stands at 6'5'', 318 pounds and has been clocked as fast as 5.09 in the 40-yard dash (he normally runs around 5.20, still extremely impressive for a man of his size). As for whether the junior will enter the 2010 NFL Draft, look no further than his mother, Lisa Webster. "They're staying put unless they hear first or second round," Webster said of Maurkice and his brother, Mike. "That would change everything. They know they have my blessing to go if it's in the first or second round." For Maurkice (and possibly Mike, as well), that almost certainly means he will head out of Gainesville. Pouncey seems almost assured of nothing later than a second round selection, and he could go in the first round if does decide to leave early.

Maxie the Taxi
01-30-2010, 12:34 PM
Info on Pouncey, his brother and other Alabama/Florida draft prospects...

Joe Haden, CB, Florida: There is no better college cornerback than Haden. He's come along this season as a complete corner capable of shutting down a side of the field and helping against the run. Although Haden struggles at times against shiftier receivers in man coverage, he has good speed and can out-muscle opponents. He'll get matched up today against Alabama sophomore Julio Jones.

Brandon Spikes, MLB, Florida: Spikes is an incredible linebacker who could have been a first-round pick this year. His production has dipped some this season, but he's missed two games and slowed by injuries. Spikes is an excellent leader and good all-around player. Spikes' instincts are that of an NFL veteran and he should start immediately in the pros.

Jermaine Cunningham, DE, Florida: Cunningham has quietly had a very good season, even while battling through injuries. Cunningham is at his best when he can rush the passer, which could limit him to being a 3-4 outside linebacker candidate. He's dropped into zone coverage at times this year and held his own. Where he struggles is against the run, especially when it comes right at him.

Aaron Hernandez, TE, Florida: Another short tight end prospect, Hernandez is dangerous with the ball in his hands. The Chris Cooley comparisons are apt. Hernandez can get open in space and is hard to take down after the catch.

Tim Tebow, QB, Florida: By now, everyone knows the strengths and weaknesses in Tebow's game. But a good game against a pro-style Alabama defense and Tebow could start to make people think differently about him.

Maurkice Pouncey, C, Florida: A junior, Pouncey has had a dominant season. He's very strong and anchors a line really well. He gets into position quickly and has the agility to move around. He plays with a low center of gravity and gets good leverage.

Michael Pouncey, G, Florida: The junior guard really burst onto the draft radar against Alabama last season when he routinely beat Terrence Cody in one-on-one situations. He's a power blocker and excels in the run game. He's not as agile as his brother, but he's a good all-around guard.

Riley Cooper, WR, Florida: With good hands and the ability to get open, Cooper projects as a classic fourth receiver possession target. Cooper doesn't run the best routes, but he's a heady player who knows how to get open.

Rolando McClain, MLB, Alabama: As mentioned on MTD before, McClain may be the best linebacker in the nation. Find more on McClain here. He'll be the best player on the field today.

Terrence Cody, DT, Alabama: The shine started to come off Cody against the Gators last season. He's proven to not have good lateral movement and doesn't break double teams. He's mostly just a space eater, and a big one at that.

Javier Arenas, CB, Alabama: Size and speed concerns will knock Arenas down in the draft. But he's a flat-out gamer. He's a good zone corner prospect because of his ability to makes plays on the ball. He closes really well and, like most Bama defenders, has good instincts. He's also a good return man with seven punt return touchdowns.

Kareem Jackson, CB, Alabama: While Arenas is a top zone prospect, Jackson will fit best in a man scheme. He can jam big receivers at the line and breaks up a lot of passes. He's a sound tackler and if he tests well he could go in the first 50 picks.

Mike Johnson, G, Alabama: Johnson just might be the best senior guard in the nation. He's a powerful drive blocker who uses his natural length to create space. His base could get stronger, but he has starter potential at the next level.

from http://www.mockingthedraft.com/2009/12/5/1186880/saturday-nfl-draft-watch-notes

Maxie the Taxi
01-30-2010, 12:43 PM
On Selvish Capers...

Selvish Capers | OT | West Virginia
Everything you need to know about Capers is summarized by former Browns and Ravens scout Daniel Jeremiah on Twitter. "Rough week. looked like a priority FA. Waste-bender, slow feet, no anchor," he tweeted.

from http://www.mockingthedraft.com/

packrulz
01-31-2010, 05:49 AM
On Selvish Capers...

Everything you need to know about Capers is summarized by former Browns and Ravens scout Daniel Jeremiah on Twitter. "Rough week. looked like a priority FA. Waste-bender, slow feet, no anchor," he tweeted.

I take what scouts say with a grain of salt, they'll bash the guys they love, hoping they'll slip, and talk up the guys they hate.

pack4to84
01-31-2010, 07:24 AM
On Selvish Capers...

I take what scouts say with a grain of salt, they'll bash the guys they love, hoping they'll slip, and talk up the guys they hate.
http://walterfootball.com/draft2010stockmatt.php

Stock Down
Selvish Capers, T, West Virginia
Capers has good speed, but I see a converted tight end with no blocking instincts and very raw technique. He struggled all week.

Fritz
01-31-2010, 11:30 AM
Look out for those waste-benders...

pbmax
01-31-2010, 11:45 AM
That's what gives Cliff Christl nightmares.

One night, he had a dream about Barry Stokes failing to take out the recycling bin and had a cardiac event in his sleep.

hoosier
01-31-2010, 01:59 PM

One night, he had a dream about Barry Stokes failing to take out the recycling bin and had a cardiac event in his sleep.

No no, waste bender: that is Najeh Davenport! :lol:

swede
01-31-2010, 03:25 PM

No no, waste bender: that is Najeh Davenport! :lol:

Gee whiz, you poop in ONE laundry basket...

Brando19
01-31-2010, 04:26 PM
On Selvish Capers...

As a Mountaineer fan, it pains me to say...he's not very good. I hope the Packers do not take a chance on him in the draft. Now if he is an undrafted FA...that would be okay.

Maxie the Taxi
01-31-2010, 04:37 PM
On Selvish Capers...

As a Mountaineer fan, it pains me to say...he's not very good. I hope the Packers do not take a chance on him in the draft. Now if he is an undrafted FA...that would be okay.

Again, everything else being equal and with things as they stand now, why take a chance on a guy like Capers when you could draft Pouncey and get the consensus best position player in the draft?

Brando19
01-31-2010, 05:20 PM
On Selvish Capers...

Again, everything else being equal and with things as they stand now, why take a chance on a guy like Capers when you could draft Pouncey and get the consensus best position player in the draft?

That's what I'm saying. I really hope the Packers draft Cal's RB with their first pick (if he drops that far), and after that load up on the O line, Safety, and a punter if there's a good one.

packrulz
01-31-2010, 05:30 PM
Here's some of the top LT's in the 2010 draft:
1. Russell Okung | 6'5, 300 pounds | Oklahoma State
The electric Oklahoma State offense is anchored by Okung, a probable first-day pick had he come out this year. What makes Okung good is his initial first step and an excellent kick slide. In the running game, Okung finishes off his blocks really well. To cement himself as an early first-round pick in the 2010 NFL Draft, he'll have to show more consistency.
2. Bryan Bulaga | 6'6, 304 pounds | Iowa
Bulaga is as complete of an offensive tackle as there will be available for the 2010 NFL Draft. Clearly advanced for his age, Bulaga shows impressive body control and the nastiness to finish off blocks. His footwork is NFL-ready and he shows technical correctness in his hand use. Almost a lock for a top 10 pick whenever he comes out.
3. Bruce Campbell | 6'7, 310 pounds | Maryland
Campbell is a natural left tackle who might be the most athletic offensive lineman in the class. He has good length to handle speed rushers and is a better run blocker than most think. The biggest negative on Campbell is a lack of experience. He started only 17, playing in 27. He's also battled injuries and technical consistency.
4. Anthony Davis | 6'6, 330 pounds | Rutgers
Davis made a smooth transition from guard to tackle last season, starting 11 games and earning all-conference honors. One of the top recruits in school history, Davis is a very good run blocker thanks to his frame that is powerful throughout. Against the pass rush, he does well redirecting rushers to the far outside.
5. Charles Brown | 6'6, 298 pounds | Southern California
Watching Southern California games, Brown just seems to pop out on screen. He's a finesse left tackle with good aggression off the snap. Brown is a solid all-around tackle who seals off opponents nicely in the running game and properly shuffles his feet and extends his arms against the pass. If Brown can get stronger in his lower body to handle stronger defenders, there's no reason he can't become a first-round player.
6. Trent Williams | 6'5, 309 pounds | Oklahoma
Williams was somewhat overlooked last season while playing right tackle and Phil Loadholt held down the left side. Williams showed the athleticism to shift to left tackle, something he'll do this year. He's displayed great footwork, but could still improve in the running game. He's the only returning starter on Oklahoma's offensive line, so his leadership skills will be put to the test.
7. Ciron Black | 6'5, 328 pounds | LSU
No left tackle may have as much potential as Black. He was somewhat disappointing last season but still managed to become an All-SEC player. He's a big, powerful tackle at his best in the run game. Entering his final season, Black has started 40 consecutive games and had 68 knockdowns last season.
8. Sam Young | 6'8, 330 pounds | Notre Dame
Like much of Notre Dame's offense, the 2009 season is of great importance for Young. A top recruit out of high school, Young has been only a decent player for the Fighting Irish. What he lacks in athleticism, Young makes up for in size and strength.
9. Selvish Capers | 6'6, 290 pounds | West Virginia
Like most West Virginia linemen, Capers might fit best in a zone-blocking scheme. He's moves around well and really attacks defenders in the open field. Capers excels at keeping in front of his opponent and keeping them on the outside. Where Capers struggles is when he has to block in line. He doesn't have the strength to maintain blocks for long and will get his legs tangled up.
http://www.mockingthedraft.com/pages/2010-nfl-draft-offensive-tackles

Joemailman
01-31-2010, 05:32 PM
MM clearly prefers having a workhorse back who gets the lion's share of the carries. I seriously doubt TT will use a 1st round pick on a guy who won't get the ball more than 10 times a game.

Maxie the Taxi
01-31-2010, 05:41 PM
Packrulz, in my opinion this is a weak year for drafting by need when your need is a left tackle. (In fact, it's a weak draft year pretty much all around.) The only "elite" quality tackle in the bunch you listed -- again in my opinion -- is Bulaga, and he'll be long gone by the time TT picks. Campbell has a shot to be good. The rest have the potential to bomb out, or at least be no better than what we have now.

In my judgment, TT should draft best available talent this year, whatever the position. Maybe take a flyer on an O-lineman later on, unless the best available happens to be Pouncey -- which is a real possibility.

packrulz
01-31-2010, 06:32 PM
Packrulz, in my opinion this is a weak year for drafting by need when your need is a left tackle. (In fact, it's a weak draft year pretty much all around.) The only "elite" quality tackle in the bunch you listed -- again in my opinion -- is Bulaga, and he'll be long gone by the time TT picks. Campbell has a shot to be good. The rest have the potential to bomb out, or at least be no better than what we have now.

In my judgment, TT should draft best available talent this year, whatever the position. Maybe take a flyer on an O-lineman later on, unless the best available happens to be Pouncey -- which is a real possibility.
Oh, I know that Max, I'm just posting the free info that's out there on these guys. Actually, I think Pouncey fits the versatile lineman that TT likes, as a freshman he started 11 games at right tackle, and Spitz hurt his back last year, so I could see T. J. Lang and Pouncey as future tackles, or he could play center if Spitz can't go. I do think TT needs to draft a good offensive lineman for depth this year in one of the first 3 rounds. For the record, I think he should draft a 3rd QB somewhere too, maybe on the 2nd day.

packrulz
02-01-2010, 05:29 AM
Double post.