PDA

View Full Version : Mike McCarthy - Time to weigh in

esoxx
01-10-2010, 08:05 PM
Ironic choice of words for the title, given the McStubby monicker he has worn this year. Guy looks like the type you would see league bowling on a Tuesday night and then over to Denny's for a grand slam breakfast.

Just getting a pulse for where Packer Nation is after this painful OT playoff loss.

My thoughts, Mac has done a beautiful job in developing AR and although not perfect (who is?), has this team pointed in the right direction.

retailguy
01-10-2010, 08:06 PM
where is the choice for firing him tomorrow?

packers11
01-10-2010, 08:06 PM
Offense scored 45 points. This game is on the D. Mcstubby is safe in my book...

esoxx
01-10-2010, 08:07 PM
I actually had that as a #3 choice but it didn't show up. Anyway I can edit/add that?

Brohm
01-10-2010, 08:07 PM
Needs to get penalties and ST under control. Great job with offense and ARod. Motivaton seems to be a problem at times. Hopes are it's just team growth and we're heading in the right direction.

retailguy
01-10-2010, 08:08 PM
I actually had that as a #3 choice but it didn't show up. Anyway I can edit/add that?

not once someone votes...

mission
01-10-2010, 08:08 PM
delete thread, start over

:lol:

mission
01-10-2010, 08:09 PM
the real question is what happens on defense?

Fritz
01-10-2010, 08:09 PM
Look, the dude had the schnutz to call for an onside kick, and then go for it on fourth down. Those two calls allowed the Pack to get back into it and tie it up.

He's doing okay. No need to call him out on this game.

retailguy
01-10-2010, 08:10 PM
Look, the dude had the schnutz to call for an onside kick, and then go for it on fourth down. Those two calls allowed the Pack to get back into it and tie it up.

Earth to Fritz. Did you see the 1st half game plan? did you see all the plays where we tried to trick them? One success, the rest were failures.

Fritz, the game plan was horrid, and we still almost won. This one is clearly on the coaching staff.

Joemailman
01-10-2010, 08:11 PM
I'm still on the fence. I blame him for the problems with the OL at the start of the season. However, he's done a great job of developing Arod. He has a chance to take this team all the way, but needs to insist on more accountability when performances are sub-par.

MOBB DEEP
01-10-2010, 08:11 PM
310 pounds fatboy looking larger by the minute

HIT THE TREDMIL

wist43
01-10-2010, 08:15 PM
I started a thread on Capers...

51 pts... that's on Capers. However, McStubby gave Dom complete control...

Ultimately, it's on McStubby... if he doesn't exercise some measure of control over Dom "i'm a pussy" Capers... then it's his own fault, and he should be fired too...

To start with... Capers needs to be axed. 51 pts is inexcusable... but more than that, 51 pts was "acceptable" given that piece of crap defensive game plan - and that is Capers.

If McStubby is in charge of the offense, and they score 45 pts... he is free in clear on that charge... but he is more than just an OC, he is the HC - and giving up 51 pts on defense??? That's embarrassing, and worthy of people being fired.

My first vote goes for Capers being fired.

Bretsky
01-10-2010, 08:16 PM

You probably submitted the thread before you hit "add option" that you had typed in for #3. I think you can edit the first post and add that.

ICU81MI
01-10-2010, 08:22 PM
Ridiculous overreaction guys. This guy took a team that was struggling miserably at 4-4 and led them a miracle pass away from rattling off 8 straight.

Some of his players played poorly today and they fell behind. They came back 21 points. Give the coach some credit for this.

Fritz
01-10-2010, 08:32 PM

Earth to Fritz. Did you see the 1st half game plan? did you see all the plays where we tried to trick them? One success, the rest were failures.

Fritz, the game plan was horrid, and we still almost won. This one is clearly on the coaching staff.

Earth to Fritz? Earth to Fritz? The Green Bay Packers just scored 45 points, dude. 45 points. And you're complaining about the offensive game plan.

You're not in outer space, no. Your head is in a deep, dark place, methinks.

retailguy
01-10-2010, 08:34 PM

Earth to Fritz? Earth to Fritz? The Green Bay Packers just scored 45 points, dude. 45 points. And you're complaining about the offensive game plan.

fritz the gameplan stunk. it was full of "creative" mis-direction which largely failed. Instead of playing smashmouth football we got "cute" and got burned. When we stopped getting "cute" and let the players play football, it changed.

This was McCarthy's worst game plan in a long long time. It was coaching. Coaching.

esoxx
01-10-2010, 08:41 PM

You probably submitted the thread before you hit "add option" that you had typed in for #3. I think you can edit the first post and add that.

That's exactly what happened. First time starting a poll. Lesson learned.

Can't edit it.

ICU81MI
01-10-2010, 08:52 PM
fritz the gameplan stunk. it was full of "creative" mis-direction which largely failed. Instead of playing smashmouth football we got "cute" and got burned. When we stopped getting "cute" and let the players play football, it changed.

This was McCarthy's worst game plan in a long long time. It was coaching. Coaching.

How?

The gameplan stunk? They scored a billion points. How were they supposed to play smash mouth football when they're down 14-0? How did the play calling change? It seemed to be a run and gun offense all day.

Please explain and provide specific examples.

Carolina_Packer
01-10-2010, 08:53 PM

Got cute on defense or offense? There was nothing cute about the defense. They got torched, but so did Arizona's defense. When an offense scores 45 points despite some miscues, like Rodgers not throwing the ball away on the first interception of the game, that's when the issues began, but you have to give them credit for not letting the game get away from them, and continuing to fight on offense. Driver having the ball ripped out happens, and his knee was almost down, too. They showed fight on offense, and had their way. 45 points is enough under most circumstances to win, and I didn't see where they got cute in that respect. It was clearly the defense that was the liability in this one. Ah well, AZ won't be so lucky next week in N'awlins.

retailguy
01-10-2010, 08:54 PM

How?

The gameplan stunk? They scored a billion points. How were they supposed to play smash mouth football when they're down 14-0? How did the play calling change? It seemed to be a run and gun offense all day.

the "mis-direction" and "cut" offensive plays in the 1st half. The gameplan stunk. Absolutely stunk. All we needed was a couple of flea flickers and a double reverse and we would've hit the gamut.

Don't give me the "down" 14-0 bullshit. You keep playing football, and your defense stiffens. Our defense stiffened once all day.

Bossman641
01-10-2010, 09:45 PM

How?

the "mis-direction" and "cut" offensive plays in the 1st half. The gameplan stunk. Absolutely stunk. All we needed was a couple of flea flickers and a double reverse and we would've hit the gamut.

Don't give me the "down" 14-0 bullshit. You keep playing football, and your defense stiffens. Our defense stiffened once all day.

And yet you are complaining about the offensive game plan??

ThunderDan
01-10-2010, 09:50 PM

How?

And playing smash mouth football in the 2nd half when we were throw, throw, throw down 21 points. Did we watch the same game?

retailguy
01-10-2010, 09:50 PM

How?

I'm assuming that you saw the 1st half, correct? What exactly was there to like on offense? Other than a half dozen plays, it sucked. I didn't like the play selection, or the attempt at "confusing" the cardinals. Because McCarthy got his head out of his ass in the second half, it didn't make me forget the 1st half.

ThunderDan
01-10-2010, 09:56 PM
I'm assuming that you saw the 1st half, correct? What exactly was there to like on offense? Other than a half dozen plays, it sucked. I didn't like the play selection, or the attempt at "confusing" the cardinals. Because McCarthy got his head out of his ass in the second half, it didn't make me forget the 1st half.

Dude give it a rest. What didn't you like in the first half? We punted once. That's all. Once in the first half and none in the second. Other than a poor throw by Rodgers across his body and DD fumbling the offense was basically unstoppable.

What horrible play calling! :oops: One punt all day!

retailguy
01-10-2010, 10:01 PM

Dude give it a rest. What didn't you like in the first half? We punted once. That's all. Once in the first half and none in the second. Other than a poor throw by Rodgers across his body and DD fumbling the offense was basically unstoppable.

What horrible play calling! :oops: One punt all day!

give it a rest? ok, whatever. You and I watched different games. That's clear. I understand the 2nd half, playing from behind 21 pts. It shouldn't have been that way, and THAT is on McCarthy.

Bretsky
01-10-2010, 10:08 PM
Rodgers made a lousy throw on first drive for a INT and that's on him
Driver fumbled on 2nd drive

Rogers missed a wide open Jennings for a TD in first half

With all that stuff I have a hard time judging if the offensive game plan was off or the players were just mucking up

pbmax
01-10-2010, 10:43 PM

So the second half was all players?

And two turnovers were coaching?

C'mon. Bad timing to the errors and horrific defense. McCarthy's only blame in this game is if he doesn't tell Capers to adopt another strategy (not just Psycho) to deal with an all pass, spread offense.

Bossman641
01-10-2010, 10:54 PM

How?

What confusion are you talking about? You act like the packers were trotting out trick plays. They had 2 bad TO's. Other than that the offense was fine.

Brandon494
01-10-2010, 11:27 PM
Anyone complaining about the offensive gameplan knows nothing about football. We just played in the highest scoring game in playoff history and Rodgers broke a Packers playoff record for passing yards. Offensive gameplan is the only reason we were in this game. I think MM coached one of his best games. Capers and the defense cost us this game.

Tyrone Bigguns
01-11-2010, 06:15 AM
Ty wants Retail to keep posting.

You are proving the old expression about giving someone enough rope.

mraynrand
01-11-2010, 06:41 AM
When the Cardinals cut Adrian Wilson, the Packers should pick him up.

MichiganPackerFan
01-12-2010, 10:09 AM
Rodgers made a lousy throw on first drive for a INT and that's on him
Driver fumbled on 2nd drive

Rogers missed a wide open Jennings for a TD in first half

With all that stuff I have a hard time judging if the offensive game plan was off or the players were just mucking up

Agree. This wasn't coaching. Players make plays and Rodgers and Driver made bad ones to start the game. This resulting in the offense getting a late start in getting in rhythm because their first two possessions were wasted. Rodgers certainly did get on track. I love Driver: nobody in the league has a better first three steps after the catch, but two recent fumbles and several drops this season make me wonder if he's on a more rapid decline.