PDA

View Full Version : Packers SHOULD or SHOULD NOT pick up a vet. OT?

gbpackfan
07-29-2006, 09:26 PM
Adrian Klemm may be done for the year.

Green Bay - The star-crossed career of offensive lineman Adrian Klemm may have taken another bad turn Saturday afternoon at Green Bay Packers training camp.

Klemm suffered an Achilles' tendon injury midway through practice and was carted off the field. Packers coach Mike McCarthy said he did not know the extent of the injury, but the way Klemm went down, it didn't look promising.

"It depends on the degree of it, you know," McCarthy said of Klemm's injury. "He's being looked at right now."

The injury is another in a long line for Klemm, who during the off-season has struggled with a torn posterior cruciate ligament in his left knee and a hernia that required surgical repair. In 2005, Klemm played in all 16 games for only the second time in six seasons, the first five of which were with the New England Patriots.

"It's unfortunate," center Scott Wells said "I haven't had a chance to talk to him about it yet, but he's faced a lot of adversity in his career. He's been able to bounce back from a lot."

If Klemm has suffered a ruptured Achilles' tendon, he will require surgery and be lost for the season. If it is just a sprained Achilles', there's a good chance he could be back before the end of training camp.

On the first day of practice, Klemm appeared to be limping as a result of the knee injury, which occurred during off-season workouts. The hernia he suffered was the result of off-season training, but he had told teammates that it wasn't bothering him.

"He was over that (hernia)," Wells said. "He had a sore knee that was bothering him. I know he had foot and ankle problems at New England."

Klemm missed 54 of 80 games in five seasons with the Patriots due to knee, foot and leg injuries. He signed with the Packers before the 2005 season and won the starting left guard position despite having played tackle most of his career.

He was benched at midseason and has been playing tackle ever since. He was playing behind starter Chad Clifton on the left side and was considered a valuable insurance policy against injury to Clifton.

With Klemm out, former starting guard Will Whitticker probably will have to take over at backup left tackle. Whitticker played left tackle during off-season workouts, but was moved to the right side just before training camp and played there Friday and Saturday.

"I worked all spring on the left side so I think I can move back there," Whitticker said. "When you work that much on it in the spring time and you do good, you feel as though you can go in there and do a good job. It's quite the change, going from guard to left tackle. It's a challenge."

Whitticker said he expected to start at left tackle in practice today because Clifton is supposed to get a day off.

Okay, not a HUGE loss, but still a loss. I always thought that Klemm was a much better T then G. Now we have VERY SCARY depth at the T spot behind Clifton and Tausch. So, do we sign a vet T? One WILL BE cut over the next four weeks. Probably not a star, but a serviceable no. 2 who will be cut to make way for some younger guys. Or, do we go with young guys and develop them if one of our starters get hurt. It would be great to find a guy who can play back up T and G, but I have a feeling we will stick with our young guys and pray!

FavreChild
07-29-2006, 09:39 PM
Whom do you think may be cut?

Harlan Huckleby
07-29-2006, 10:20 PM
I think it would be a huge loss. He was one of their more capable backups. In fact, he may be the ONLY capable backup on the OL.

HarveyWallbangers
07-29-2006, 10:57 PM
Yeah, this hurts depth more than cutting Roman, IMHO. We have very little behind Tauscher and Clifton. I'd hate to have to shuffle Colledge out to OT.

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-30-2006, 12:03 AM
I agree this is a big injury. I hope TC can end no more injurys, pls god.

Joemailman
07-30-2006, 12:39 AM
This definitely could be a problem. Remember, the last time Clifton was out for an extended period of time, it was Flanagan who filled in for him. If Klemm is out, Tony Moll is next on the depth chart.

gbpackfan
07-30-2006, 11:23 AM
Would Tausch flip over to LT if Cliff went down? I would rater have him watching Brett's blind side then a rook or Shittiker.

red
07-30-2006, 11:32 AM
i don't think he'll be that hard to replace. i thought before the injury that he might not make the roster even though he was the top backup. this team is going towards the youth movement. are starters are starting to get up there in age. to me it would make sence for your backups to be younger guys, future possible starters. not a guy who is on the downside of his career

i would guess at some point in the near future we bring in a guy with some prior starting experience that has been cut by his team

moll just doesn't instill confidence in me if one of the big 2 go down. at least not yet

where does that giant 6'7 guy from grand valley state play? is he a T?

Harlan Huckleby
07-30-2006, 11:34 AM
I'm concerned about their overall depth on the Oline, even if Klemm comes back. They usually have a backup who can play multiple positions.

I guess if Whittiker shows some improvement they are ..... almost OK.

Tarlam!
07-30-2006, 11:38 AM
Klemm was a good tackle and a lousy guard in Shermies blocking scheme. I hope it's only a sprain...

OKC PackerFan
07-30-2006, 02:32 PM
where does that giant 6'7 guy from grand valley state play? is he a T?

Demovsky's Insider Blog

Training camp report, Saturday, July 29
Thumbs up
A month ago, Josh Bourke was just another anonymous, big-bodied rookie offensive lineman that had done little to distinguish himself during the Packers’ offseason workouts.
When the pads went on two days ago, it became impossible not to notice the 6-foot-7 and 314-pound undrafted rookie free agent from Grand Valley State. The Canadian not only has put together two impressive performances in the spirited one-on-one pass blocking drills the first two days of camp, but he appears to have held his own during the 11-on-11 periods as well.
No one beat Bourke in the one-on-ones on Saturday. Granted, he mostly was going against other long-shot prospects like rookie seventh-round draft pick Dave Tollefson and undrafted free agent Montez Murphy. His most impressive rep came when he stoned second-year defensive end Michael Montgomery, a speed rusher.
Undrafted free agents often need a break to make an NFL roster, and Bourke may have gotten his at the expense of veteran Adrian Klemm, who was penciled in as the top backup at both tackle spots. Klemm went down midway through Saturday’s practice with an Achilles injury, and Bourke stepped in as the No. 2 left tackle.

OKC PackerFan
07-30-2006, 02:40 PM
I'm concerned about their overall depth on the Oline, even if Klemm comes back. They usually have a backup who can play multiple positions.

I guess if Whittiker shows some improvement they are ..... almost OK.

Looks like they moved Whittiker over to #2 LT this morning.

Sunday, July 30, 2006
Favre doesn't practice Sunday morning
Quarterback Brett Favre, running back Najeh Davenport and tackle Chad Clifton did not participate in practice Sunday morning. Coach Mike McCarthy wanted to give those players some rest. Davenport and Clifton underwent off-season surgery, while Favre is nursing a sore ankle. McCarthy said he expects Favre to participate in the night practice.

Second-year player Will Whitticker played left tackle with the starting offense on Sunday morning. Whitticker, who started at guard last season as a rookie, has been shifted to tackle.

Adrian Klemm entered camp as the top backup at left tackle but he injured his Achilles' tendon Saturday and was carted off the field. McCarthy said he hasn't received the report from the doctors yet on Klemm but should know the extent of the injury later in the day.

Receiver Rod Gardner, who didn't participate in the first two days of camp because of a sore hamstring, practiced on Sunday morning.

For the second time in three days, Jon Ryan had considerably more distance than B.J. Sander in punting drills. Ryan out-punted Sander on Friday, but there were no punting drills on Saturday.

-- Mike Vandermause, Green Bay Press-Gazette

Bretsky
07-30-2006, 02:48 PM
IMO Ted Thompson has left the Packers dangerously thin throughout the OL; it's not just at OT or as backups. The number of new starters and youth w/o good backup solutions on the whole interior line is a bit scary as well.

I've never been a fan of Klemm or Whittaker. Both should be the last OL making a Pro Football Squad. Our concern for Klemm shows us how thin we actually are there.

B

OKC PackerFan
07-30-2006, 02:57 PM
Klemm is a serviceable backup at LT, forget about Klemm's past as a guard. He did a serviceable job at LT when Clifton got injured in the Carolina game last year. I for one hopes he makes it back this year, we need him.

woodbuck27
07-30-2006, 03:07 PM
If he is in fact lost to us for any duration T2 can ill aford to take a we'll just go with what is already available to us now.

He tried and missed out on Adam Meadows -Klemm was recovering from an earlier injury and this is a recurrent problem with this unlucky player in his career.

T2 can ill afford to trust what we already have. The season will rise or fall with OUR OL.

Harlan Huckleby
07-30-2006, 06:16 PM
I don't remember the Oline being this thin EVER.

Rastak
07-30-2006, 07:48 PM
Packers | T. Williams signed
Sun, 30 Jul 2006 17:04:50 -0700

Mike Vandermause, of the Green Bay Press-Gazette, reports the Green Bay Packers have signed free agent OL Todd Williams (Buccaneers) to an undisclosed contract. He will wear No. 53.

pbmax
07-30-2006, 10:26 PM
Harlan, do you remember who was the original LT on the Packers Super Bowl team?

Harlan Huckleby
07-31-2006, 08:07 AM
OK, ummm, ya, what's-his-name.

But that was end of season. I don't think they ever started a season with zero experience in backup ranks.

Iron Mike
07-31-2006, 08:18 AM

Bruce Wilkinson???

HarveyWallbangers
07-31-2006, 08:25 AM
John Michels was replaced by Bruce Wilkerson late in the year. Wilkerson started in the Super Bowl.

woodbuck27
07-31-2006, 10:21 AM

pbmax:

Are you referring to the first Super Bowl we won, or Super Bowl I?

Anyone?? (original LT ?? in which one of three Super Bowl's?)

K-town
07-31-2006, 10:26 AM

Bruce Wilkinson???

Bruce Wilkerson, number 64. Jon Michaels was too skinny and was a crappy left tackle anyway. Ken Ruetgers played I think in one game in '96 (the Dallas game?). They picked up ex-Raider Wilkerson towards the end of the season, and he started all of the playoff games.

pbmax
07-31-2006, 12:51 PM
Woodbuck , I meant the 1996 team and the third Super Bowl win.

I believe the season went:

Gary Brown (3)
John Michels
Ken Ruettgers (Michels and Ruett played at least through the Chiefs loss, Ruett played against Dallas)
Bruce Wilkerson

If you can survive a Super Bowl season with those LTs, then it possible, not advisable, but possible to live with our youth and lack of depth.