PDA

View Full Version : Bush, Saints Agree To Deal

BallHawk
07-29-2006, 09:59 PM
Saints fans can breathe a sigh of relief: Reggie Bush is reporting to camp. The Saints' first-round pick has agreed to a six-year contract, Len Pasquarelli reports. The deal is expected to be signed Sunday.

Fosco33
07-29-2006, 10:02 PM
Saints fans can breathe a sigh of relief: Reggie Bush is reporting to camp. The Saints' first-round pick has agreed to a six-year contract, Len Pasquarelli reports. The deal is expected to be signed Sunday.

Good for NO, Bush, the city, etc.

Now, we really will see Hawk tag him in week 2 at Lambeau. :cool:

MJZiggy
07-29-2006, 10:11 PM
Will he last 'til week 2? Is the o-line at NO good enough to keep him from getting clobbered?

Fosco33
07-29-2006, 10:18 PM
Will he last 'til week 2? Is the o-line at NO good enough to keep him from getting clobbered?

You've got to hope so - he's so damn quick we'll see how long it takes for him to get tackled.... :razz:

But they do have to play the Browns at the Dawg Pound week 1 - so you could say 'pounded' instead of 'clobbered'.

HarveyWallbangers
07-29-2006, 10:54 PM
I want to hear from all of the folks that jumped to conclusions and ripped Bush a new asshole earlier in the week when a report (e.g. conjecture) came out saying he might hold out for the year.

Don't know why people don't like him. He was a team player at USC, and he seems like he's a pretty damn good kid for being so talented (spoiled). Some speculated he wouldn't play for New Orleans. He said otherwise and proved it here. He's said and done all of the right things since being drafted. Give the kid a break. He's done nothing wrong.

Fosco33
07-29-2006, 11:08 PM
I want to hear from all of the folks that jumped to conclusions and ripped Bush a new asshole earlier in the week when a report (e.g. conjecture) came out saying he might hold out for the year.

Don't know why people don't like him. He was a team player at USC, and he seems like he's a pretty damn good kid for being so talented (spoiled). Some speculated he wouldn't play for New Orleans. He said otherwise and proved it here. He's said and done all of the right things since being drafted. Give the kid a break. He's done nothing wrong.

Damn straight! I can't wait to see him play - it's gonna be sweet.

NewsBruin
07-29-2006, 11:51 PM
This also means that the saints have four decent-to-great backs and still have a need at linebacker...

the_idle_threat
07-29-2006, 11:56 PM

I'll admit I thought "Oh no, here we go ..." when I heard about Bush's potential holdout. It's well known that he had high contract demands, leading Houston to go in another direction with the eminently-more-signable Mario Williams.

Now, I don't think he's a bad guy at all ... it's just that when a 20 or 21-year-old kid is told by everyone that he's one of the all-time great talents before he's even played a down, he may begin to believe it ... and if he's told he should get the moon and three stars in hs rookie contract, he may very well demand it.

I'm a bit surprised and very happy for the league in general that he came into the fold so quickly.

Fosco33
07-30-2006, 06:38 AM
This also means that the saints have four decent-to-great backs and still have a need at linebacker...

Bennett for Taylor kind of deal?

Then move Barnett to Sam and have Hodge in the middle. With a Bennett/Green/Gado (Herron as 4th option, if needed; Pooper playing some FB again) combo attack.

Is that what you were alluding to?

the_idle_threat
07-30-2006, 06:43 AM
I thought he was implying a Hawk-for-Bush kind of deal.

Fosco33
07-30-2006, 06:49 AM
I thought he was implying a Hawk-for-Bush kind of deal.

The Saints won't give up Bush w/o facing another set of riots in NO - oooohh, too soon? it's almost been a full year...

The reason I think Bennett would be in the mix: his two teams of choice were the Cards and Packers during FA; ZBS; Taylor/Bennett coming off recent injuries and the deal would benefit both clubs. It's apparent we have a need at RB and could manage with our LB core minus Taylor.

the_idle_threat
07-30-2006, 07:16 AM
I just looked at the Saints' roster, and I don't see them being 4-deep in quality RBs. They have Deuce McAllister coming off an ACL tear, Reggie Bush, and Michael Bennett. Unless I missed somebody, I guess the 4th guy would be Aaron Stecker, and he's really not all that good. He had a big opportunity last year with McAllister down, and only managed 363 rushing yards and no scores in 4 starts. For comparison, Gado had almost 600 yards and 6 scores in 5 starts, running behind our very suspect line.

I don't see the Saints looking to trade Bennett with the uncertainty of McAllister's recovery, and with Bush being a rookie who did not carry the load in college.

woodbuck27
07-30-2006, 02:37 PM
From PFT:

WHERE'S THE BUSH NUMBERS?

Though it's not yet been 12 hours since word broke of an agreement between the Saints and tailback Reggie Bush, the No. 2 overall pick in the 2006 draft, the absence of any hard numbers regarding Bush's deal makes us think that agent Joel Segal isn't as happy with the outcome as he otherwise might have been.

Alternatively, the silence could be a sign that Segal has yet to come up with an effective way of spinning the contract as being somehow better than the deal signed by No. 1 overall pick Mario Williams.

The likelihood that the news of the contract was spoon fed by Segal to ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli makes the absence of details regarding the financial package seem even more strange to us.

Stay tuned.

HarveyWallbangers
07-30-2006, 05:05 PM
PFT = The National Enquirer of the NFL

BallHawk
07-30-2006, 05:55 PM

Good comparison. I do enjoy their pics of the day, though. Some of them are really funny. Such as...

http://www.profootballtalk.com/JabbaJustice.jpg
In light of recent attacks against NFL players, Winston Justice has hired a body double

Rastak
07-30-2006, 05:59 PM

That's bullshit. They are a slight step up.

1) They DO break stories on occasion.
2) Florio's a pretty funny guy.

Not sure where all the hate comes from Harvey. They don't kiss Packer ass all the time? Florio rips everyone.

HarveyWallbangers
07-30-2006, 06:08 PM
Are you this Florio or something? I don't go there anymore. When I did in the past, half their shit was garbage (conjecture, half truths, insulting, etc.).

Rastak
07-30-2006, 06:15 PM
Are you this Florio or something? I don't go there anymore. When I did in the past, half their shit was garbage (conjecture, half truths, insulting, etc.).

Me? No, but he's fun to read unless you're wound up tighter than a ducks ass. Not saying you are mind you, but he has some pretty funny stuff and he breaks an occasional story. I 100% disagree he's the national enquirerer becasue 100% of their stuff is bull shit. That's all I'm saying.

the_idle_threat
07-30-2006, 10:56 PM

Me? No, but he's fun to read unless you're wound up tighter than a ducks ass. Not saying you are mind you, but he has some pretty funny stuff and he breaks an occasional story. I 100% disagree he's the national enquirerer becasue 100% of their stuff is bull shit. That's all I'm saying.

PFT is a good read. Just take it with a grain of salt.

HarveyWallbangers
07-30-2006, 11:10 PM
Hey, I have the opinion that it's like the N.E. I got that opinion from reading it for a few weeks. I've decided not to read it anymore. Case closed for me.

woodbuck27
07-31-2006, 06:02 PM
Jul 31 2006 -

Reggie Bush (Saints),

RB Reggie Bush, the second overall pick in the April 29 draft, ended his two-day holdout and was expected to join his teammates on the field Monday after missing the first three days -- and at least five practices -- of training camp. While financial details of the deal were still being sorted out Sunday, the contract is expected to be in the neighborhood of $60 million with about $26 million -- perhaps a little more -- in guaranteed money.

The contract was believed to be for five years with an option for a sixth season.

HarveyWallbangers
08-01-2006, 11:05 PM
If you can't enjoy Reggie Bush, then you don't like football.
:D

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/sports?ch=396337&cl=399368&lang=en

Tyrone Culver makes a nice open field tackle on Bush at 6:07 into the video.

the_idle_threat
08-02-2006, 02:01 PM
I just looked at the Saints' roster, and I don't see them being 4-deep in quality RBs. They have Deuce McAllister coming off an ACL tear, Reggie Bush, and Michael Bennett. Unless I missed somebody, I guess the 4th guy would be Aaron Stecker, and he's really not all that good. He had a big opportunity last year with McAllister down, and only managed 363 rushing yards and no scores in 4 starts. For comparison, Gado had almost 600 yards and 6 scores in 5 starts, running behind our very suspect line.

I don't see the Saints looking to trade Bennett with the uncertainty of McAllister's recovery, and with Bush being a rookie who did not carry the load in college.

But I could be wrong ... :mrgreen:

Chiefs acquire RB Bennett in trade with Saints

NFL.com wire reports

RIVER FALLS, Wis. (Aug. 2, 2006) -- The Kansas City Chiefs acquired running back Michael Bennett from the New Orleans Saints, but insisted that didn't mean Priest Holmes would retire.

Holmes, a three-time Pro Bowler, is back home in San Antonio, Texas, awaiting medical clearance to resume his career. He sustained a neck and spinal cord injury in a game last October and lost his starting job to Larry Johnson.

"This is not an indication that Priest is not coming back," Chiefs president Carl Peterson said.

The Saints traded Bennett for an undisclosed choice in the 2007 NFL draft.

Holmes was placed on the physically unable to perform list before the opening of training camp and will likely remain there for the foreseeable future.

"He's comfortable with that and we're comfortable with that," Peterson said. "We'll continue to monitor his physical well being. I've had conversations with him and he's right now where he is. But the doctors have still not given him a release to have contact."

Bennett, who signed as a free agent with New Orleans in March, appeared in 64 games with Minnesota. His best year was 2002 when he had 1,296 yards on 255 carries.

Fosco33
08-02-2006, 06:41 PM

But I could be wrong ... :mrgreen:

Chiefs acquire RB Bennett in trade with Saints

NFL.com wire reports

RIVER FALLS, Wis. (Aug. 2, 2006) -- The Kansas City Chiefs acquired running back Michael Bennett from the New Orleans Saints, but insisted that didn't mean Priest Holmes would retire.

Holmes, a three-time Pro Bowler, is back home in San Antonio, Texas, awaiting medical clearance to resume his career. He sustained a neck and spinal cord injury in a game last October and lost his starting job to Larry Johnson.

"This is not an indication that Priest is not coming back," Chiefs president Carl Peterson said.

The Saints traded Bennett for an undisclosed choice in the 2007 NFL draft.

Holmes was placed on the physically unable to perform list before the opening of training camp and will likely remain there for the foreseeable future.

"He's comfortable with that and we're comfortable with that," Peterson said. "We'll continue to monitor his physical well being. I've had conversations with him and he's right now where he is. But the doctors have still not given him a release to have contact."

Bennett, who signed as a free agent with New Orleans in March, appeared in 64 games with Minnesota. His best year was 2002 when he had 1,296 yards on 255 carries.

Which means I was right - except I got the team wrong.... :mrgreen:

If he has another bust out year, I'm bumping this one after Green gets hurt.... it's all conjecture b/c we don't know if TT tried but damn, world class track speed in a ZBS, hmmmmmm.....