PDA

View Full Version : The Blame Game

Deputy Nutz
01-11-2010, 11:44 AM
Rodgers committed two turnovers with one leading to the direct end of the game. He for some reason gets a free pass from the fans and media. Why? Favre certainly didn't get this free pass against New York, which was a better defense than that of the Cardinals. Is it because this is Rodgers first trip to the playoffs? Or is Rodgers simply more likable than what Favre was at the end of his career in Green Bay?

Fans are quick to hold Favre completely responsible for the loss in the NFC Championship game two years ago, when will the same effect start happening to Rodgers if the trend of playoff turnovers continue?

Bossman641
01-11-2010, 11:47 AM
Rodgers committed two turnovers with one leading to the direct end of the game. He for some reason gets a free pass from the fans and media. Why? Favre certainly didn't get this free pass against New York, which was a better defense than that of the Cardinals. Is it because this is Rodgers first trip to the playoffs? Or is Rodgers simply more likable than what Favre was at the end of his career in Green Bay?

Fans are quick to hold Favre completely responsible for the loss in the NFC Championship game two years ago, when will the same effect start happening to Rodgers if the trend of playoff turnovers continue?

Is this even a serious question?

Look at the scoreboard and numbers the offense put up and you might have your answer.

Besides, shouldn't you be off in a Viking forum somewhere talking about how great Favre is.

RashanGary
01-11-2010, 11:49 AM

Nice post :roll:

The reason Rodgers isn't ripped is because nobody calls Rodgers a hero, so he doesn't have to live up to that idiotic standard that people give to Favre.

Favre's a great player. It's people like you, who prop him up higher than humanly possible that make the bad plays stand out.

Smidgeon
01-11-2010, 11:51 AM

Not an attack, just curious: how do you see the facemask on that last play?

Deputy Nutz
01-11-2010, 11:51 AM

The reason Rodgers isn't ripped is because nobody calls Rodgers a hero, so he doesn't have to live up to that idiotic standard that people give to Favre.

Favre's a great player. It's people like you, who prop him up higher than humanly possible that make the bad plays stand out.

I really don't do that unless arguing with you. but that is not my point. I am wondering how quick you all are going to turn on Rodgers when and if this trend continues.

To answer Bossman's point, Favre was having an ok day against The Giants until his overtime int. He wasn't playing great but he was playing better than anyone else on the offense.

Deputy Nutz
01-11-2010, 11:52 AM

If Rodgers wasn't sacked and didn't fumble the ball I think it would have been called. The facemask didn't make him fumble the ball so I can't blame the refs for the fumble.

RashanGary
01-11-2010, 11:56 AM
Favre missed quite a few passes that day. Who cares though, as far as I'm concerned, Favre was good enough his whole career to win a championship. Rodgers was good enough this year. Rodgers is 26 years old. As a Packer fan, it's exciting but all it does is bother you.

RashanGary
01-11-2010, 11:58 AM
And the reason so many people keep talking about Rodgers great play is becuase we were told year after year that when Favre is gone, we're doomed. We were told year after year how crappy our team was without Favre. A lot of us Packer fans didn't really enjoy that talk and now we like to give it back a little.

Bossman641
01-11-2010, 11:58 AM

I really don't do that unless arguing with you. but that is not my point. I am wondering how quick you all are going to turn on Rodgers when and if this trend continues.

To answer Bossman's point, Favre was having an ok day against The Giants until his overtime int. He wasn't playing great but he was playing better than anyone else on the offense.

19/35, 236 yards, 2 TD, 2 INT
Offense 1/10 on 3rd downs

I'm sorry, but I have a hard time criticizing the QB when the defense gives up 45 points, whether that QB be Favre, Rodgers, Grossman, whoever.

bobblehead
01-11-2010, 12:06 PM
First off, I'm not saying that ARod is "getting off" as far as I'm concerned. His first pick was god awful, the second one was an incomplete pass if there is no facemask. I certainly laid some blame on him for the first pick right away and it putting us in an immediate hole. Kid screwed up, no question.

However, you want to equate ARod in a game where he put up 45 points and our D forced exactly ONE punt all game long to BF in the Giants game? Come on Nutz, you're smarter than that.

Arod 28/42 422 yards 4 TD 1 INT team gets 45 points

Favre 19/35 236 yards 2 TD 2 INT team gets 20 points

Favre also had home field, ARod had to go on the road.

You can keep coming on here acting like BF is god and did nothing to get his ouster, you can act like he took care of the football and got wronged all you want, its your right, but you have gone from a guy who I used to respect his opinion and liked to read his posts to kind of a one note joke.

It would be less funny if BF didn't go out and prove this season that he is capable of playing within a system and not forcing bonehead throws late over the middle, but he did exactly that.....the fucking guy actually LEARNED from watching ARod instead of vice versa. For all his whining and crying he has done nothing but proven that MM was right all along about how you play QB properly.

For my taste I would like to move on and forget about the BF era, I would even like to cheer for him and the vikings, but certain people on this site make me sit here and hope he fails miserably next week instead.

I'll keep responding to the emotion of the people who thought BF was bigger than the team with logic and fact...I know it pisses some of you off.

You ask a strawman question of why Rodgers gets a "free" pass. Well, probably because this was his first playoff game and he played brilliantly outside of his very first pass. A pass we had seen from BF about 30 times in the playoffs. 6 times against the rams alone. Twice in the respective red zones against minnesota. Against atlanta.

I imagine when Rodgers throws away about 5-6 playoff games like the great one had we will be pretty sick of him. But one bad decision to start a game by a first time playoff QB who turns around and passes for 400 yards and 4 TD's afterwards and we all know our former QB would have likely been forcing throws the rest of the game and turned it into a laugher...well, I think I'll stick with him for a season or two....hell, it took me about 4 awful playoff games by BF before I got sick of him.

Patler
01-11-2010, 12:11 PM

It all depends on your perspective.
You see the fans blaming Favre.
Others see fans continually making excuses for Favre.
For the most part, fans see what they want to see.

"...trend of playoff turnovers..."? How can you have a trend from one game? Your bias is showing.

bobblehead
01-11-2010, 12:22 PM

If Rodgers wasn't sacked and didn't fumble the ball I think it would have been called. The facemask didn't make him fumble the ball so I can't blame the refs for the fumble.

the facemask made him fall back and kick it upwards, otherwise a review would have ruled it an incomplete pass.

Fosco33
01-11-2010, 12:39 PM

19/35, 236 yards, 2 TD, 2 INT
Offense 1/10 on 3rd downs

I'm sorry, but I have a hard time criticizing the QB when the defense gives up 45 points, whether that QB be Favre, Rodgers, Grossman, whoever.

And 90 of those 236 were on one TD to Driver...

Freak Out
01-11-2010, 12:41 PM

Many are bringing up the fact that Rodgers missed Jennings on that first play in OT. He missed it...that's on him.

Fritz
01-11-2010, 12:43 PM

It all depends on your perspective.
You see the fans blaming Favre.
Others see fans continually making excuses for Favre.
For the most part, fans see what they want to see.

"...trend of playoff turnovers..."? How can you have a trend from one game? Your bias is showing.

I want to see the Packers win that game against the Cardinals. Can I figure out a way to see that?

pbmax
01-11-2010, 12:51 PM

1. No one holds Favre completely responsible.
2. 45 points. Should be enough.
3. Rodgers didn't do enough. And he made too many mistakes. Missed the throw in OT.
4. Rodgers 1 pick on 42 attempts, 2 INTs on 35 atts for Favre.

Brandon494
01-11-2010, 03:49 PM

Give me a break, Favre played like shit that whole NFC Championship game!

If not for AR we would have been blow out!

Seriously the dude just set a franchise playoff record for passing yards

Also the defense didnt give up 50+ points in the NF Championship game

LAME POST!

Sparkey
01-11-2010, 04:05 PM

Give me a break, Favre played like shit that whole NFC Championship game!

If not for AR we would have been blow out!

Seriously the dude just set a franchise playoff record for passing yards

Also the defense didnt give up 50+ points in the NF Championship game

LAME POST!

Interestingly, the playoff record for passing yards, that Rodgers broke, previously belonged to Lynn Dickey!

Bretsky
01-11-2010, 05:52 PM
This was a topic from Mike Heller this afternoon

Everybody knows Rodgers played an awesome game; like the defense he deserves some blame in the four bad plays...his first play, his last play, and the two crappy throws that both could have been TD's to Jennings.

Regardless, hopefully the entire team learns from their mistakes and wins the next one.

Think how AWESOME things would be right now if Rodgers hits Jennings in stride in OT and the Pack wins that game.

pbmax
01-11-2010, 05:58 PM

Everybody knows Rodgers played an awesome game; like the defense he deserves some blame in the four bad plays...his first play, his last play, and the two crappy throws that both could have been TD's to Jennings.

Regardless, hopefully the entire team learns from their mistakes and wins the next one.

Think how AWESOME things would be right now if Rodgers hits Jennings in stride in OT and the Pack wins that game.
The problem here (and with Heller in general) is missing the forest for the trees. You can wish your QB to hit the big play all you want, but deep throws are dicey propositions every time.

However, playing at least passable pass defense should not be beyond the ken of a professional football franchise. This should be far easier to fix and more consistently delivered. Yes you want Rodgers to hit the play when available, but you cannot depend on it like you should be able to depend on minimally average pass defense.

But Rodgers is still on the hook for the INT and holding the ball too long.

Lurker64
01-11-2010, 05:59 PM
It's hard to blame anybody for a loss when that player threw for >400 yards, completed 2/3 of his passes, and accounted for 5 total touchdowns (3 more than the number of turnovers he committed). Any time a player has a performance like that and his team doesn't win the game for whatever reason, the hunt for blame can't start with the quarterback.

Patler
01-11-2010, 06:16 PM
The problem here (and with Heller in general) is missing the forest for the trees. You can wish your QB to hit the big play all you want, but deep throws are dicey propositions every time.

However, playing at least passable pass defense should not be beyond the ken of a professional football franchise. This should be far easier to fix and more consistently delivered. Yes you want Rodgers to hit the play when available, but you cannot depend on it like you should be able to depend on minimally average pass defense.

But Rodgers is still on the hook for the INT and holding the ball too long.

No one is missing the forest for the trees. If you want to ask why GB lost, you have to consider defense first. Obviously no one should give up 51 in a playoff game. Clearly, Rodgers played well enough to win..

But I wasn't assessing blame for a loss. Initially I responded to opinions elevating Rodgers to the level of Starr and Favre based on the game yesterday. I can't do that. In the end, you have to finish, no matter how great you played before then. If you don't, it all goes for nothing. It becomes just stats. I whole heartedly agree that a deep pass is not something you can depend on, and you shouldn't have to. However, truly great players make the plays you can't depend on, and they do it at the time it matters most. Unfortunately for GB and Rodgers, the throw required to Jennings would not even have been a great throw.

Do I blame him for missing it? Of course not. On the other hand, I can't elevate his performance beyond what it was, very impressive but not enough on that day at that time.

He opened a lot of eyes yesterday, especially with Aikman praising him over and over. Completing that one pass would have pushed him through the bubble, and no one would ever again question if he can take the team on his back and win a game. As it was, he took the team on his back and got extremely close. Questions will remain until he finishes the job.

gex
01-12-2010, 09:16 AM

After watching that replay a few times, if only he had gotton a little more air under the ball and 5 yards deeper.Jennings would have been able to run under it cause there was nobody to slow him down...that ball just needed to be in the air for a few more seconds.

MichiganPackerFan
01-12-2010, 12:46 PM

Favre wasn't completely responsible for the loss two years ago. McCarthy's abandonment of the run allowing NY to drop 11 into coverage ultimately was. Favre definitely choked on that last play of the game and if he hadn't quit on the team (50% passing 2 picks, sloppy decisions), he should have never thrown that ball. You have to run the ball in Lambeau in January in the Playoffs.