PDA

View Full Version : Don't fire Capers, lol...

wist43
01-11-2010, 03:48 PM
Guys, I don't want Capers fired... the point of my other thread was that this game was lost last week in the film room, and in game planning; and, that Capers will do this kind of thing - I've always considered him to be too conservative, while all the time acknowledging him to be a good coach.

WSSP is tearing Capers apart right now b/c of his game plan, and his unwillingness to make changes. That's what I had been saying - and warned last Friday that this is what we could very likely see during the game.

Once Capers comes in with a game plan... regardless of how effective, or ineffective it is, he won't change. To him, he spent all week in preparation - it should be working :roll:

Capers is a good coach... and the exact kind of guy you want on your staff if you're changing over to a 3-4 scheme - BUT, you have to accept that Capers is not a good game day coach in terms of making adjustments, and he does have a tendancy to get very static in his play calling.

He puked up 500+ yds, and 45 pts yesterday... Warner went what??? 29-33 and 5 TD's??? He had more TD's than incompletions!!!! That's all on Capers.

Tyrone Bigguns
01-11-2010, 03:53 PM
Just when Ty thought players bore some responsibility you cleared it up.

I sure hope this doesn't hurt Cwood's chance at the MVP since conversely all of the great work done by the defense prior to yesterday's game was on Capers....not the players.

Smidgeon
01-11-2010, 04:06 PM

I sure hope this doesn't hurt Cwood's chance at the MVP since conversely all of the great work done by the defense prior to yesterday's game was on Capers....not the players.

Pretty sure the DPOY votes are already in. Winner is supposed to be announced tomorrow.

Tyrone Bigguns
01-11-2010, 04:07 PM

Pretty sure the DPOY votes are already in. Winner is supposed to be announced tomorrow.

You think Capers has a shot at it?

Smidgeon
01-11-2010, 04:08 PM

I think Capers just played himself out of that one...

wist43
01-11-2010, 04:09 PM

On WSSP they were trying to put a % on responsibility... they came up with 60/40 on the players.

But I almost give them a complete pass... 75/25 Capers. He never gave them a chance to be successful. You can't allow the slot receiver to jog up the field for 15 yds, completely untouched, and completely uncovered... if you have a blown coverage, or it happens just once or twice... but that happened virtually every snap - that's 100% on Capers.

Smidgeon
01-11-2010, 04:10 PM
Although on a more serious note, until this game Capers might have been in the running for assistant coach of the year for turning the D around in a new scheme one year to the next. After this last game, probably not at all.

Tyrone Bigguns
01-11-2010, 04:15 PM

But you SAID the votes were already in. Make up your mind.

Tyrone Bigguns
01-11-2010, 04:16 PM

On WSSP they were trying to put a % on responsibility... they came up with 60/40 on the players.

But I almost give them a complete pass... 75/25 Capers. He never gave them a chance to be successful. You can't allow the slot receiver to jog up the field for 15 yds, completely untouched, and completely uncovered... if you have a blown coverage, or it happens just once or twice... but that happened virtually every snap - that's 100% on Capers.

Dumb. You show inconsistent logic and a fundamental misunderstanding of coaching.

Smidgeon
01-11-2010, 04:21 PM

But you SAID the votes were already in. Make up your mind.

Chuck's DPOY votes should already be in. I don't know if the AP gives out the assistant coach of the year or not. If they do, those ballots should already be in as well. In which case Capers played his way out of that award in Pittsburgh.

RashanGary
01-11-2010, 04:37 PM
I don't know if I see what you're seeing, Wist. Players make coaches look smart more than the other way around. A defense that can get pressure with 4 is invaluable, even with a 3-4 scheme, especially with great QB's that will tear apart your blitz philosophy.

I agree with Nutz in one of his posts, the Packers need better pass rushers (hopefully Raji gets healthy and develops into one). They need more depth in the secondary.

This is a complex zone scheme. It's going to take a combination of the guys we have learning and new players being brought in. Our guys didn't know how to cover the route progressions Arizona threw at us and didn't get enough pressure with 4.

I put some of the blame on Capers, some of it no ones fault (still adapting to new defense), some of it on the players (maybe not all of them are the smartest), some of it on McCarthy (switching defenses and making a tough overhaul) and the rest on Thompson (we just need more players, period).

RashanGary
01-11-2010, 04:43 PM
Even the Ravens, getting after Brady, they didn't bring 5 or 6 nearly as often as they brought 4. They played coverage and got there with better players. That's the bottom line to me, great pass rushers make great defenses.

MichiganPackerFan
01-12-2010, 11:20 AM
I didn't see Capers miss a single tackle....

Joemailman
01-12-2010, 11:28 AM
I didn't see Capers miss a single tackle....

Well, when the defense played well, you didn't see Capers make any tackles either. If he's going to receive praise for what happened much of the year, which he deserved, then he deserves some blame for what happened against the Cardinals. The Cardinals had a gameplan to attack the middle of the Packers defense, and Capers didn't seem to have an answer for it.

CaliforniaCheez
01-12-2010, 11:29 AM
The Packers with lower quality secondary depth did not handle the crossing routes well.

Linebackers didn't react well either. Even after a halftime to regroup they didn't get it routes figured out.

The Saints will have a week.