PDA

View Full Version : Way to go #21!! DPOY

bigcoz75
01-12-2010, 09:28 AM
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/34822351/ns/sports-nfl/

Glad they voted for this before Sundays game. :D

Kiwon
01-12-2010, 09:49 AM
Congrats, but slightly ironic since I think he really struggled in Sunday's game (as did the whole defense).

.................................................. ...............................................

Packers CB Woodson voted AP’s top defensive player

NEW YORK (AP)—In his own view, Charles Woodson(notes) put together his best pro season in 2009. How appropriate, then, that he is The Associated Press 2009 NFL Defensive Player of the Year.

The versatile Woodson tied for the league lead with nine interceptions, returning three for touchdowns, and was a key to the Packers’ turnaround on defense. His role in Green Bay’s ranking second in overall defense, first in interceptions (30), takeaways (40) and turnover margin (plus-24) earned Woodson 28 votes Tuesday from a nationwide panel of 50 sports writers and broadcasters who cover the NFL.

“Yeah, it’s the best,” Woodson said of his performance this season. “There’s no question about it. I was hesitant to say it early on this year; just consistent play, playing at a high level every week, turnovers, playing multiple positions and playing them well. Combine that with just going out there and having fun, and this is definitely the best.”

He doubled the number of votes for New York Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis(notes) in becoming the first Green Bay winner since Reggie White in 1998 and just the second Packer in the 36-year history of the award.

Woodson, the 1997 Heisman Trophy recipient, is the first cornerback chosen top defensive player since Deion Sanders in 1994.

He got the honor in great part because of the way he anchored a defense in transition. Woodson was used in a variety of ways by new defensive coordinator Dom Capers as Green Bay made the switch to a 3-4. At times, the unit was shaky— except for Woodson, who played the role of cover cornerback, blitzer, run-stuffer and ballhawk.

“Any time you go out there on the field, you go out there to win the game, of course,” Woodson said, “but you go out there to be consistent and a reliable player. And that’s what that award is. You go out there, you can make plays and can continue to make them through the season and you’re mentioned as far as being Defensive Player of the Year, you know you’re doing some things right.”

The Packers went 11-5 during the season, including taking seven of eight games in the second half of the schedule to secure an NFC wild-card berth. In that span, Green Bay allowed 15.6 points per game. Take away a last-second 37-36 loss to Pittsburgh, and the number becomes a minuscule 11.4.

Woodson had 63 unassisted tackles and 18 assists, according to the Packers, plus 21 passes defensed, four forced fumbles and one recovery, two sacks for 18 yards and three quarterback hits.

“I’ve said it before, he’s had two or three games that I can’t imagine any defensive player in the league having better games,” said Capers, who also coached Rod Woodson (1993) and Jason Taylor(notes) (2006) when they won the award. “I think it speaks volumes when he was player of the month in September and came back and got player of the month again (in November).”

In his third season, Revis established himself as the league’s premier cornerback, taking away such prime threats as Steve Smith, Randy Moss(notes), Andre Johnson(notes), Terrell Owens(notes), Chad Ochocinco(notes) and Marques Colston(notes). He had six picks, returning one for a TD.

Denver linebacker Elvis Dumervil(notes), who led the league in sacks, and New Orleans safety Darren Sharper(notes), who tied with Woodson for the interceptions lead and also ran back three for scores, each got three votes. Minnesota end Jared Allen(notes) received the other two votes.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=ArxIZOVa896GZTtjhehKZTBDubYF?slug=ap-defensiveplayer&prov=ap&type=lgns

KYPack
01-12-2010, 09:51 AM
Good for Wood!

Well, this is the start for Pack fans on our road to recovery after one bitter-ass loss.

gex
01-12-2010, 09:57 AM
Congratulations Woodson!
Definitly well deserved.

mission
01-12-2010, 10:03 AM
That's my guy!

Smidgeon
01-12-2010, 10:28 AM

Luckily the award is for regular season play... :mrgreen:

packers11
01-12-2010, 11:17 AM
WOODSONNNN!!! To bad they didn't win it all, woulda capped off a great season...

sheepshead
01-12-2010, 11:18 AM

They always do.

mmmdk
01-12-2010, 11:38 AM
Well deserved !

It's pretty hard for a CB to achieve this award.

Go Chuck - go get that Lombardi trophy too next season.

MOBB DEEP
01-12-2010, 11:57 AM
AWESOME my nig

swede
01-12-2010, 12:12 PM
AWESOME my nig

Really?

Unless that's a typo I find that offensive.

Charles Woodson is an elite athlete, a superb businessman, and, from all available evidence, a pretty decent human being. He's nobody's n**.

sheepshead
01-12-2010, 12:31 PM
AWESOME my nig

Exactly how and why is this allowed on a public forum like this anyway?

gbgary
01-12-2010, 12:39 PM
CHUCK!!

woodbuck27
01-12-2010, 04:31 PM
Charles Woodson. The brightest light on the Packer 'D'. CONGRATULATIONS on a solid season again.

GO PACKERS!

Joemailman
01-12-2010, 04:37 PM
AWESOME my nig

MOBB,

You are not needed here.

MadtownPacker
01-12-2010, 05:48 PM
Cmon now, aint nothing wrong with our resident nig saying that.

Shit, I bet Rex would say the same thing....

http://i.tsn.com/i/photos/20090908/123508.jpg

MJZiggy
01-12-2010, 07:18 PM
Good for Wood!

Well, this is the start for Pack fans on our road to recovery after one bitter-ass loss.

The nubs where my fingernails used to be have to heal up first.

Yay, Charles! First $2 million to charity now this! One to go, baby!

gex
01-12-2010, 07:27 PM

lol

Fosco33
01-12-2010, 08:39 PM
AWESOME. Was glad he wasn't robbed.

Bittersweet....

Brando19
01-12-2010, 08:53 PM
Good for him. Very deserving. Now he just needs a Super Bowl. 8-)

Suck it, Rex Ryan.

Cheesehead Craig
01-12-2010, 09:02 PM
Well done and well deserved.

DannoMac21
01-13-2010, 02:22 AM

LMAO

Administrator
01-13-2010, 07:57 AM
good for Charles! Very pleased he was honored in this way.

Very disappointing that this thread was partially derailed over a stupid politically incorrect saying. Childish.

hoosier
01-13-2010, 08:06 AM
good for Charles! Very pleased he was honored in this way.

Very disappointing that this thread was partially derailed over a stupid politically incorrect saying. Childish.

You let Partial back in???

sheepshead
01-13-2010, 08:06 AM
A version of "nigger" is politically incorrect? Really?

Administrator
01-13-2010, 08:09 AM
A version of "nigger" is politically incorrect? Really?

you should really stay out of this. nothing here for you to gain.

MichiganPackerFan
01-13-2010, 08:36 AM
AWESOME my ###

Mobb,

You know I like you as a poster, but a person doesn't have to be African American to find that term highly offensive. That post has bothered me since I read it yesterday. We're supposed to progress as a society and terms like that, regardless of context or intent, are anchors to extreme hatred. I can think of no usage of that term that is not highly derogative. By all means be real, but leave the hate in the past.

hoosier
01-13-2010, 12:55 PM
Why get so riled up about black culture's use of the word "nigger"? What is offensive is not the word itself but the social context of deeply engrained racism in which it was used. When a black person refers another black person using that same word today, the intent as I understand it is not to bring up old wounds or play up racial divisions but basically to claim ownership over the word rather than allowing yourself to be defined by how other groups talk about you. Or, if you want a medical analogy, it's like a vaccine in which you voluntarily inject yourself with a virus in order to develop immunity to it.

What is so offensive about this? Is it because many of us have become comfortable with the idea that we're living in a post racial society, and little things like this keep bringing race back into the picture?

My apologies to whoever started this thread for having taken it even further off topic.

packerbacker1234
01-13-2010, 01:16 PM
Woodson is a class act, and is constantly reliable. He had his struggles in the playoff game, as did the entire defense. Weather or not Fitz knocked down Woodson twice on purpose with no calls or not, woodson falling down in coverage, even man to man, is not typical and I doubt it's a concern for next season.

Through 16 games this year, woodson played at another level others can't match. He was clearly the all around best defensive player. All you need to do is look at our biggest win of the year... beating Dallas. One could point at Woodson and go "You are why we won this game". That is saying something coming from the CB spot.

All the credit in the world to Revis - he did win the best CB of the year award, and man to man I am not sure Woodson is as good. Still, overall, woodson is an all around beast, and is very hard to "take him out" of the game. Revis can be avoided, woodson can't.

Even in woodson's "bad" showing in the playoff game, he still forced a fumble from Fitz, which was a key play since our defense hadn't stopped AZ yet. That play showed why he is the best, even if he had some uncharacterisitc mistakes in the second half.

MOBB DEEP
01-13-2010, 01:19 PM
Apologies....Im certainly black (actually pro-black) and regardless of the obvious demographic on this forum i thought the vast majority of posters understood that in our culture the word is OFTEN used as term of endearment. I would bet a years salary that CWood himself uses it.

I'm sure most here have heard rap music, comedians, or black peers use this word in that fashion. There was actually a time when I wouldnt use the word because I felt that there's so much power in it and that it may have deleterious impact of some black ppl's sense of racial pride: especially within the population that I serve in the black community. Now I feel that there are much bigger fish to fry that have nothing to do with the use of that word, which is rampant in their daily living (e.g., sex abuse, education, decision-making, health issues, etc)

I will submit that perhaps I should use it less liberally because many ppl still cringe or it conotes a negative image

Not sure why a white person would be "offended" though. Hoosier may actually be making an excellent point. but its NOT pronounced with an 'er but an 'a and OF COURSE shouldnt be used by a respectful non-black

sheepshead
01-13-2010, 01:24 PM
Why get so riled up about black culture's use of the word "nigger"? What is offensive is not the word itself but the social context of deeply engrained racism in which it was used. When a black person refers another black person using that same word today, the intent as I understand it is not to bring up old wounds or play up racial divisions but basically to claim ownership over the word rather than allowing yourself to be defined by how other groups talk about you. Or, if you want a medical analogy, it's like a vaccine in which you voluntarily inject yourself with a virus in order to develop immunity to it.

What is so offensive about this? Is it because many of us have become comfortable with the idea that we're living in a post racial society, and little things like this keep bringing race back into the picture?

My apologies to whoever started this thread for having taken it even further off topic.

How do you know he's black? Should you know he's black? Does the owner of this place want to invite new posters?Or keep the same ol' boys club? You cannot possibly have separate sets of standards for people on here. There is no way of knowing and there should be no way of knowing anyones age race religion or sexual preference. I dont say this casually either.

MOBB DEEP
01-13-2010, 01:25 PM

How do you know he's black? Should you know he's black? Does the owner of this place want to invite new posters?Or keep the same ol' boys club? You cannot possibly have separate sets of standards for people on here. There is no way of knowing and there should be no way of knowing anyones age race religion or sexual preference. I dont say this casually either.

makes sense

Zool
01-13-2010, 01:31 PM
Much ado about nothing. I do think that everyone should be able to say it or no one should. Better not let me catch you talking about crackers Mobb.

hoosier
01-13-2010, 01:35 PM
Much ado about nothing. I do think that everyone should be able to say it or no one should. Better not let me catch you talking about crackers Mobb.

That's cracka to you, whitey. :lol:

MOBB DEEP
01-13-2010, 01:36 PM
When a black person refers another black person using that same word today, the intent as I understand it is not to bring up old wounds or play up racial divisions but basically to claim ownership over the word rather than allowing yourself to be defined by how other groups talk about you.

Pretty much acurate and i sincerely felt that was known

Cant believe IM defending my use of it and feeling some guilt lol

You all jus make sure u dont use it. A few posters may actualy use this as a free opportunity to type the word on this forum...hmmmm....like madtown bean-eating tail lol...I blackend many an eye in undergrad as a result. public enemy had my mad radical

again, sorry

but try to remain light hearted

one love

MOBB DEEP
01-13-2010, 01:38 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

MOBB DEEP
01-13-2010, 01:39 PM
i love all yal!

Yeah, this thread went way off course

wish i knew how to post that one "thread jacked" emoticon

hoosier
01-13-2010, 01:40 PM

I don't know for certain whether the person who posts as Mobb is black or not, just that his online persona is convincingly "black"--in contrast, say, to Ty's. But I was really responding to MPF's view that the word is inherently offensive regardless of what context it is used in--which would include blacks calling other blacks "nig" or "nigga" (thanks to Mobb for the clarification). I have a hard time understanding why others would take offense at that.

Zool
01-13-2010, 01:41 PM

That's cracka to you, whitey. :lol:

Oh no thats the common misconception. Only WE can say cracker. Everyone else better say cracka.

Now pass the Sunchips.

MOBB DEEP
01-13-2010, 01:49 PM
AWESOME my ###

Mobb,

You know I like you as a poster, but a person doesn't have to be African American to find that term highly offensive. That post has bothered me since I read it yesterday. We're supposed to progress as a society and terms like that, regardless of context or intent, are anchors to extreme hatred. I can think of no usage of that term that is not highly derogative. By all means be real, but leave the hate in the past.

Mich, I know how you feel about this because we've discussd it in the past. So i extend personal apology to you; didnt think to send PM and gotta go!

MichiganPackerFan
01-13-2010, 01:58 PM

I don't know for certain whether the person who posts as Mobb is black or not, just that his online persona is convincingly "black"--in contrast, say, to Ty's. But I was really responding to MPF's view that the word is inherently offensive regardless of what context it is used in--which would include blacks calling other blacks "nig" or "nigga" (thanks to Mobb for the clarification). I have a hard time understanding why others would take offense at that.

In general, I don't view this as a "White" world and a "Black" world, where there are separate rules for each. History cast separation, but society's evolution continues to draw together. While I completely understand the position that it can be used within a defined group, I still believe the term is used way too liberally. I believe we should be constructing a culture of progress and equality. Regardless of how people try to evolve the term, it still is inherently tied to hate and racism and those factors will never be separated from the word. I think there are far better words in the expansive English language that can be used to express comradery and brotherhood without embracing a symbol of racism and hate. Maybe it doesn't injure me directly, but there are people who are very close to me who have worked so damn hard for progress and achievement that do not deserve to be continually associated with that term because a subgroup thinks it's acceptable to fling that carcass around. Let's find more positive ways to express ourselves that lend to moving forward not backward.

Anyway, that's my opinion...

MichiganPackerFan
01-13-2010, 02:03 PM
Mich, I know how you feel about this because we've discussd it in the past. So i extend personal apology to you; didnt think to send PM and gotta go!

Saw this when I got off my soapbox. I guess "teachable moment" (even though I'm pretty sure those require beer!) for something I feel is important. I wasn't so much calling you out or seeking an apology as I was expressing my position.

I really don't want to instigate any Pack on Pack crime here either!

hoosier
01-13-2010, 02:06 PM

In general, I don't view this as a "White" world and a "Black" world, where there are separate rules for each. History cast separation, but society's evolution continues to draw together. While I completely understand the position that it can be used within a defined group, I still believe the term is used way too liberally. I believe we should be constructing a culture of progress and equality. Regardless of how people try to evolve the term, it still is inherently tied to hate and racism and those factors will never be separated from the word. I think there are far better words in the expansive English language that can be used to express comradery and brotherhood without embracing a symbol of racism and hate. Maybe it doesn't injure me directly, but there are people who are very close to me who have worked so damn hard for progress and achievement that do not deserve to be continually associated with that term because a subgroup thinks it's acceptable to fling that carcass around. Let's find more positive ways to express ourselves that lend to moving forward not backward.

Anyway, that's my opinion...

Fair enough and very eloquent. Thanks for the clarification.

Smidgeon
01-13-2010, 02:21 PM
You all jus make sure u dont use it.

Just an observation: It seems unfortunate that our American language has words that from a person of one skin color is endearing that coming from a person of another skin color is deeply offensive. Further enforcing and defending the use of such words doesn't help ease the racial barrier but instead further striates it, even if the striation is much more subtle than the gregarious sins of the past.

gbgary
01-13-2010, 03:58 PM
Apologies....Im certainly black (actually pro-black) and regardless of the obvious demographic on this forum i thought the vast majority of posters understood that in our culture the word is OFTEN used as term of endearment...

i took it in the spirit that you intended and didn't give it a second thought. don't stop being mobb.

swede
01-13-2010, 04:13 PM
You all jus make sure u dont use it.

Just an observation: It seems unfortunate that our American language has words that from a person of one skin color is endearing that coming from a person of another skin color is deeply offensive. Further enforcing and defending the use of such words doesn't help ease the racial barrier but instead further striates it, even if the striation is much more subtle than the gregarious sins of the past.

Hoosier, as usual, is eloquent, even in his defense of this odious racial slur; and, if we but only follow his university logic, the flock is shown that what we think to be wrong is actually right as long as the context is shifted. No sociology professor could have done better. Next on the list I suppose will be the cultural references which allow honor killings. Context is supreme in the land of situational ethics.

Neither the "apologia" by Hoosier or the apology by Mobb helps me explain to young people why a double standard should exist in our homes, our community, and our schools. Children are capable of repeating the slur, but not capable of understanding why children of one race would have special ownership of a demeaning word.

Save the sanctimonious rationalizing. Stand on principle for once.

Congratulations, Charles Woodson.

MadtownPacker
01-13-2010, 04:26 PM
You all jus make sure u dont use it. A few posters may actualy use this as a free opportunity to type the word on this forum...hmmmm....like madtown bean-eating tail lol...I blackend many an eye in undergrad as a result. public enemy had my mad radical

again, sorry

one loveListen BROTHA my Black homies from way back are Black on the outside AND inside unlike your WI Oreo cookie ass. I need no excuse to call it like it is. I love the word and say it to anyone regardless of color. Dont be mad cuz you choose to grow up with White kids so you could be the fastest.

This is probably you anyways. Sellout. :lol:
http://www.videodetective.com/photos/602/025325_18.jpg

Tyrone Bigguns
01-13-2010, 04:41 PM
Apologies....Im certainly black (actually pro-black) and regardless of the obvious demographic on this forum i thought the vast majority of posters understood that in our culture the word is OFTEN used as term of endearment. I would bet a years salary that CWood himself uses it.

I'm sure most here have heard rap music, comedians, or black peers use this word in that fashion. There was actually a time when I wouldnt use the word because I felt that there's so much power in it and that it may have deleterious impact of some black ppl's sense of racial pride: especially within the population that I serve in the black community. Now I feel that there are much bigger fish to fry that have nothing to do with the use of that word, which is rampant in their daily living (e.g., sex abuse, education, decision-making, health issues, etc)

I will submit that perhaps I should use it less liberally because many ppl still cringe or it conotes a negative image

Not sure why a white person would be "offended" though. Hoosier may actually be making an excellent point. but its NOT pronounced with an 'er but an 'a and OF COURSE shouldnt be used by a respectful non-black

Awesome post, my nig!

Lord Favre!

Tyrone Bigguns
01-13-2010, 04:43 PM

Not kewl, my nig!

Zool
01-13-2010, 11:07 PM

again, sorry

one loveListen BROTHA my Black homies from way back are Black on the outside AND inside unlike your WI Oreo cookie ass. I need no excuse to call it like it is. I love the word and say it to anyone regardless of color. Dont be mad cuz you choose to grow up with White kids so you could be the fastest.

Why can't you beige boys just be happy being yourself? You ain't gots ta be black ta be proud.

channtheman
01-14-2010, 12:42 AM
Woodson is a class act, and is constantly reliable. He had his struggles in the playoff game, as did the entire defense. Weather or not Fitz knocked down Woodson twice on purpose with no calls or not, woodson falling down in coverage, even man to man, is not typical and I doubt it's a concern for next season.

Through 16 games this year, woodson played at another level others can't match. He was clearly the all around best defensive player. All you need to do is look at our biggest win of the year... beating Dallas. One could point at Woodson and go "You are why we won this game". That is saying something coming from the CB spot.

All the credit in the world to Revis - he did win the best CB of the year award, and man to man I am not sure Woodson is as good. Still, overall, woodson is an all around beast, and is very hard to "take him out" of the game. Revis can be avoided, woodson can't.

Even in woodson's "bad" showing in the playoff game, he still forced a fumble from Fitz, which was a key play since our defense hadn't stopped AZ yet. That play showed why he is the best, even if he had some uncharacterisitc mistakes in the second half.

Woodson also tipped a pass away from a Cardinal receiver in the second half on 3rd down and other than the fumble that he caused as you noted and the missed field goal, that was the only other time we stopped the Cardinals.

MOBB DEEP
01-15-2010, 11:19 AM

again, sorry

HILARIOUS....i never should have said how I went to a highschool with only 16 black folk, 8 of whom were DEF trying to assimilate. And how my best friend was a whimpy white boy who liked rap while my big all-sports-playing tail was sweatn Iron Maiden and Judas frickn Priest. Of course he married a fine sista LOL

Im very impressed that so many here care about the use of the word. I thought most who jumped on me (save my man Mich) where just using it as an excuse to flame me b/c we defer on other topics

I misjudged alot of you and actually wana apologize for that as well. I do think that MANY white folks use the word in a negative way because of my experiences. but i LOVE being enlightened and appreciate this "discussion."

Great posts Swede, smidge, Mich, hoosier, and even mad's crazy tail

My hearts kinda warm right now even though you all are such a small segment. gives me hope

now, WHERES MY 40 ACRES AND A MULE?????