PDA

View Full Version : The Bears come calling, the Packers reject

Bossman641
01-12-2010, 01:43 PM
The Bears asked to speak to Tom Clements regarding their OC position. The Packers declined as they are only obligated to grant interviews for head coach or GM positions.

Thoughts? Does anyone have a clue how much Clements played into Rodgers' development? Was a lot of it him, or more MM?

packers11
01-12-2010, 01:44 PM
They need someone to teach Cutler not to throw 5 ints in a game :lol:

sheepshead
01-12-2010, 01:57 PM
ARod recently called him one of the best coaches he had ever worked with. The Bears are high.

Smidgeon
01-12-2010, 02:01 PM
ARod recently called him one of the best coaches he had ever worked with. The Bears are high.

How many pro QB coaches has AR had? Two? (No, seriously, I'm asking.)

sheepshead
01-12-2010, 02:11 PM

While I understand his pro career is limited, I'm just paraphrasing what he has said. (he has been coached in college and high school too). Combine that with the results and the Bears are barking up the wrong tree as far as I'm concerned.

Smidgeon
01-12-2010, 02:14 PM

While I understand his pro career is limited, I'm just paraphrasing what he has said. (he has been coached in college and high school too). Combine that with the results and the Bears are barking up the wrong tree as far as I'm concerned.

Barking up the wrong tree in terms of whether they'd get permission to interview him, but barking up the right tree in terms of trying to get a good coach.

Do you remember who the QB coach was before Clements? Was it Bevell or had he already left?

pbmax
01-12-2010, 02:29 PM
Its a fascinating question. You want your people to succeed; if they do, they will have additional opportunities. Do you let them walk when you can prevent it?

Wolf always let them go in the front office. He might have been reacting to Al Davis' penchant for holding on for dear life and the fear of losing a secret.

sheepshead
01-12-2010, 02:38 PM

Barking up the wrong tree in terms of whether they'd get permission to interview him, but barking up the right tree in terms of trying to get a good coach.

Do you remember who the QB coach was before Clements? Was it Bevell or had he already left?

No way TT is gonna let him go to the Bears to straighten Cutlers butt out if he has anything to say about it.

Patler
01-12-2010, 02:45 PM
If I'm Tom Clements, and the Bears came calling for a position as OC under potential lame-duck head coach Lovie Smith; I would go to TT and say; "Ted, help me out here. It looks awful for me to turn down an interview as an OC. or to turn down the job if offered. But the Bears position looks like a potential disaster for my career. Please deny them permission for the interview!"

hoosier
01-12-2010, 02:48 PM
Its a fascinating question. You want your people to succeed; if they do, they will have additional opportunities. Do you let them walk when you can prevent it?

Wolf always let them go in the front office. He might have been reacting to Al Davis' penchant for holding on for dear life and the fear of losing a secret.

True, but was Wolf ever faced with a decision about letting one of Holmgren's staff go to a division rival? The general principle that Wolf espoused is difficult to argue with, but when it suddenly becomes a question of giving permission to the Vikings or the Bears I think that might cause even Wolf to reexamine his principles. :lol:

pbmax
01-12-2010, 03:12 PM

True, but was Wolf ever faced with a decision about letting one of Holmgren's staff go to a division rival? The general principle that Wolf espoused is difficult to argue with, but when it suddenly becomes a question of giving permission to the Vikings or the Bears I think that might cause even Wolf to reexamine his principles. :lol:
I believe he tried to trade Special Teams coach Nolan Cromwell to the Lions for for a used Ford Fiesta. But the report was never confirmed.

Administrator
01-12-2010, 07:25 PM
If I'm Tom Clements, and the Bears came calling for a position as OC under potential lame-duck head coach Lovie Smith; I would go to TT and say; "Ted, help me out here. It looks awful for me to turn down an interview as an OC. or to turn down the job if offered. But the Bears position looks like a potential disaster for my career. Please deny them permission for the interview!"

This is a great point.

get louder at lambeau
01-12-2010, 07:35 PM
They need someone to teach Cutler not to throw 5 ints in a game :lol:

I could teach him how to not throw 5 INTs per game. It's pretty easy- only let him throw 4 passes. :P