PDA

View Full Version : Instead of needs What are your reasons for hope?

CaliforniaCheez
01-13-2010, 12:27 PM
There are several thing to be hopeful about, especially improvement in players.

Here are some in no paricular order:

Deitrich-Smith- made the team ahead of a draft pick and was active while Giacomini was not.

Finley - Really improved his play this season.

Havner - Found a roster spot and had fewer drops than Lee. Emergency LB and Special Teams contributor. He can only improve as a TE based on how little he has played it.

Jones - as a late round pick learning a complicated defense, played well enough to keep Poppinga off the field and did not screw up too much. He will only get better.

Sitton - Continued to improve and was solid on the line. One of the least expensive starters on the team.

Wynn - prove he was not a bust in relief duty on the D-line.

Ahman Green may have more years in him.

Lang was active while Giacomini was not.

There is a surplus of FB, WR, LB depth.

Despite all the sacks Rodgers stayed healthy.

There are many positives to take from the season.

packers11
01-13-2010, 12:28 PM
I can watch another elite QB for the next 10-12 years... that was my biggest fear ...

I am 20 and I haven't seen a bad QB yet... I'm pretty spoiled :lol:

Smidgeon
01-13-2010, 12:36 PM
I don't know about surplus of WRs. I would say the amount is just right, providing DD doesn't start slipping. Jennings, Jones (if he can focus and trust himself again), and Jordy all have arrows pointing up. I like talented WRs four deep, even with Finley hitting his stride. So if DD does slip, I hope TT's got an ace up his sleeve...

MadScientist
01-13-2010, 12:43 PM
I can watch another elite QB for the next 10-12 years... that was my biggest fear ...

Sure you've seen bad QB's - they've just been on other teams :lol:

As for reasons to be hopeful, I'd say the biggest is that the Packers' needs are in most cases for better backups for injury / age replacements. That is the guys who are starting are good enough to win with.

denverYooper
01-13-2010, 01:06 PM
Jones - as a late round pick learning a complicated defense, played well enough to keep Poppinga off the field and did not screw up too much. He will only get better.

I'm interested to see how Jones does after an offseason in the weight room. The offseason program should help his game a lot.

Raji, also, should benefit from the offseason program. I expect to see more pass rush from him next year after a full training cycle. I see him really hitting his stride at year 3, but I think he'll show more next year and get better at using that huge base to push the pocket in.

MichiganPackerFan
01-13-2010, 01:33 PM
I think Rodgers will be a strong contender for the MVP next season.

Sparkey
01-13-2010, 02:10 PM

Hmmm,

David Whitehurst, Rich Campbell, Randy Wrong errr Wright, Vince Ferragamo, Blair Kiel, Mike Tomczak, Anthony Dilweg, Bill Troup (just threw up in my mouth) and the other POC Piesarkieweicor however it was spelled.

Yeah, lucky you! :shock:

RashanGary
01-13-2010, 02:20 PM
I haven't seen a bad one and I'm 28. Well, as a young, young kid I remember Dilwig and Wright but barely. I think Dilweg was #8 and Wright was a double digit # but I could be wrong.

Mostly I remember Majkowski, Favre and now Rodgers. Nice run for me.

Smidgeon
01-13-2010, 02:24 PM

I'm interested to see how Jones does after an offseason in the weight room. The offseason program should help his game a lot.

Raji, also, should benefit from the offseason program. I expect to see more pass rush from him next year after a full training cycle. I see him really hitting his stride at year 3, but I think he'll show more next year and get better at using that huge base to push the pocket in.

I think the DE Wynn will get the most value out of the offseason program by putting on good weight.

RashanGary
01-13-2010, 02:32 PM
Brad Jones
BJ Raji
Jarius Wynn
Jermichael Finley
Jordy Nelson
Brandon Underwood
Josh Sitton
TJ Lang
Evan Dietrich Smith
Clay Matthews
Quinn Johnson

Who knows how much gain we can get out of these guys. Skys the limit for a lot of them. Then you have:

Rodgers
Jennings
Collins
Jolly
Grant
B Jackson
J Jones
Colledge
Wells
Jenkins
Kuhn
Tramon
Chillar
Barnett

Lots of guys just entering or in the middle of their prime. Not too many old guys that we count on. Might depend on a rookie or two, but next years team is going to be loaded with 2nd - 8th year players (the best kind).

RashanGary
01-13-2010, 02:34 PM
I think this Packer team is about to peak. A free agent OT, a free agent nickle back and a good draft and we're one of the SB front runners in the NFC.

Some big improvements from within and a good draft and we could be one of the front runners.

We're right on the doorstep of greatness. Not much more and we're over the top.

wist43
01-13-2010, 03:36 PM
Rodgers (who I can't believe has become the QB he is), some other good young talent to build around (Finley, Matthews, Raji, Jennings), some solid vets (Jenkins, Jolly, Woodson, Driver, Grant).

And the switch to the 3-4... w/o the switch, I'd have little hope.

There are still plenty of holes, and more to come open... but, maybe they can make a run one year or another in next few years.

Packers4Ever
01-13-2010, 03:45 PM

Spoiled? LOL Spoiled rotten, I'd say !!
(not really, we still need you) :D :D

MichiganPackerFan
01-13-2010, 05:11 PM
Rodgers (who I can't believe has become the QB he is), some other good young talent to build around (Finley, Matthews, Raji, Jennings), some solid vets (Jenkins, Jolly, Woodson, Driver, Grant).

And the switch to the 3-4... w/o the switch, I'd have little hope.

There are still plenty of holes, and more to come open... but, maybe they can make a run one year or another in next few years.

:wow:

(nice post!!!)

Joemailman
01-13-2010, 05:22 PM
Packers have 6 Pro Bowl caliber players (Matthews, Collins, Rodgers, Grant, Jennings and Finley) who are 27 or younger. Few teams are so fortunate. Josh Sitton is close to being in this group. This is an unusually strong group of young players to build a team around.

Bretsky
01-13-2010, 05:28 PM
PLAYMAKERS; I was worried with TT's philosophy he would never hit on enough draft pix only to have difference makers.

But the Finley picks and Matthews Picks are going to be HUGE; you can build around that type of talent for a long time. Already have Rodgers...Woodsen for hopefully a while. Nick Collins...TT won't let him go.
Jennings

Sitton is future Pro Bowl Material

We should have lots of difference makers on Offense for a while.

We may need one or two more on the other side.....but wow...great start

ND72
01-13-2010, 06:18 PM
Aaron Rodgers

I could probably stop there.

I like the way Grant was running, and I still think Grant & Jackson are a good 1/2 combo.

WR's are stacked, minus the drops

Jermichael Finley...dude might be a gem for Teddy.

I'm concerned at Tackle still as I think Clifton and Tauscher are done, that's my opinion. I like Lang & Sitton. Hopefully Spitz can come back. And who knows what Colledge will give you, he's so up and down.

Gotta love Jenkins, Raji, & Jolly. If we can bring Pickett back, bonus.

Matthews = Stud!
Barnett & Hawk are solid inside, and were getting better as the year progressed.
Jones is a decent option, but would like to find an upgrade.

Woodson...duh.
Harris & Williams are solid 2/3.
If Underwood progresses, and Pat Lee can show something, that'd be bonus.

Collins is a top 10 Safety.

I don't like Bigby at all, and we have no other option right now.

Crosby will have a good year next year.

New punter.

ND72
01-13-2010, 06:21 PM
PLAYMAKERS

YES...this is one thing I've said since 2007. We don't have that play maker, or that ok, I'm going to win the game now guy besides Rodgers. Jennings has it in him, but he just made those playmaker plays for the first real time sunday that was totally him.

I'd love a Chris Johnson type, which is why I think I really like Best from Cal, cause I think he'd give us that type of guy.

Finley might become a guy like that for us. I love that guy.

MJZiggy
01-13-2010, 07:20 PM
My reason for hope is that all my friends who are fans of other teams actually gush about my team and fear playing them next year.

ND72
01-13-2010, 08:08 PM
Our hope lies in Aaron Rodgers, and the entire NFL is seeing this. Friend of mine at school(work) said, "you know, I lived through the entire Brett Favre era, now I have to live through Aaron Rodgers, who is right now as good or better than Favre ever was."

As long as we give him an OL, and some weapons, if we can build us one tough Defense, Rodgers becomes that much more dangerous.

denverYooper
01-14-2010, 08:36 AM
I have hope for Quinn Johnson. He might be fun to watch next year.

retailguy
01-14-2010, 08:59 AM
As long as we give him an OL,

Bang the drum my friend! I hate this OL. I have always hated this OL. They tease us, then regress.

Is there ANYONE here who thinks they'll start strong next year, or is it more likely we will get the same slow crappy start?

Even if you look at the last 8 games performance, it was spotty and best and statistically in the middle of the league average. Sadly, that type of performance "looked good" compared to the awful start to the year.

Josh Sitton is the best of the bunch. Other than that, I'd be up for replacing anybody. TJ Lang looks like he's got great potential, but I wouldn't give 50 cents for the rest of them. It's very sad to watch Cliffy and Tauscher get old. It happens, but it's sad.