PDA

View Full Version : Little support from Philbin for Giacomini

Patler
01-14-2010, 03:16 AM
Reading between the lines, it doesn't sound like Philbin sees much in the guy. From Philbin's press conference:

On who in the organization likes tackle Breno Giacomini, who spent most of the season on the inactive list: “I imagine the general manager likes him, he’s in charge of the roster, and the head coach. I’m just being honest. I like a lot of things about him. Until you see a guy get a lot of reps in a game situation, I’m not sure you’re always totally certain about what you have.”

australianpackerbacker
01-14-2010, 03:36 AM
Why are there so many failures in the NFL? Definitley not a lack of physical talent, thats for sure. God you have to be REAL DUMB not to be able to figure out how to play with 5 other guys in a line, pick the right man to block, and knock that fucker off his feet.

The lack of quality in the NFL and in all sports reflects poorly on the education system, as this is the only thing that seperates good players from bad players, IMO. If your in the NFL youve got talent, the rest comes from your brain.

Patler
01-14-2010, 04:15 AM
Why are there so many failures in the NFL? Definitley not a lack of physical talent, thats for sure. God you have to be REAL DUMB not to be able to figure out how to play with 5 other guys in a line, pick the right man to block, and knock that fucker off his feet.

The lack of quality in the NFL and in all sports reflects poorly on the education system, as this is the only thing that seperates good players from bad players, IMO. If your in the NFL youve got talent, the rest comes from your brain.

But its not necessarily "smarts" in the intelligence/education sense. Some people have an ability to take in a bunch of information and process it quickly, others do not. I have been around very intelligent athletes who just can not process and make decisions quickly enough in game situations at advanced levels. Some of these guys are great high school athletes who never seem to make it in college or pro sports. People say the kid knows what to do, but has no "feel" for the game. Often, these are the guys who make good coaches.

On the other hand, some real "dummies" from the basic intelligence perspective are stellar athletes at all levels because they simply react to what happens very quickly.

SkinBasket
01-14-2010, 07:39 AM
I'm a Giacomini fan, but I do admit that it's mostly because of his sexy thick eyebrows.

denverYooper
01-14-2010, 08:21 AM

But its not necessarily "smarts" in the intelligence/education sense. Some people have an ability to take in a bunch of information and process it quickly, others do not. I have been around very intelligent athletes who just can not process and make decisions quickly enough in game situations at advanced levels. Some of these guys are great high school athletes who never seem to make it in college or pro sports. People say the kid knows what to do, but has no "feel" for the game. Often, these are the guys who make good coaches.

On the other hand, some real "dummies" from the basic intelligence perspective are stellar athletes at all levels because they simply react to what happens very quickly.

what do i supposed to say?

denverYooper
01-14-2010, 08:31 AM
Reading between the lines, it doesn't sound like Philbin sees much in the guy. From Philbin's press conference:

On who in the organization likes tackle Breno Giacomini, who spent most of the season on the inactive list: “I imagine the general manager likes him, he’s in charge of the roster, and the head coach. I’m just being honest. I like a lot of things about him. Until you see a guy get a lot of reps in a game situation, I’m not sure you’re always totally certain about what you have.”

I read that yesterday too Patler. Weird, because I'd had the impression up until now that the coaches saw him as a possible fit at RT.

Joemailman
01-14-2010, 05:33 PM
I haven't been able to figure out how the staff feels about Giaco. Late in training camp the talk was that he was getting better and actually gaining on Barbre. Then once the season started, he wasn't active even when injuries occurred. Was the talk just designed to make sure Barbre didn't get complacent?

Guiness
01-15-2010, 12:15 AM
Good description Patler.

I fell into the category you decide. I was every bit as quick and strong as the other guys at my position, and in some ways, smarter - but not in a full speed football sense. They would read and react plays better, I appeared slow and sluggish 'cause it took me a second to process what was going on. I was great in the film room though, pointing out this or that tendency.

And you're right on the second part too. What do I do now? I watch, pick things up, and recommend adjustments. And the coach will say 'wow, good catch, didn't see that.' I seem to be good at that in several sports, and at tournaments (not football, of course) will scout players/teams we are likely to meet.

Fritz
01-15-2010, 07:57 AM
Hey, Philbin's pretty good at the vaguely left-handed compliment. There's some real talent there.

Barbre - how about "Well, they drafted the kid for a reason. He's got loads of athletic ability. But it's hard to say, really, until he does it consistently. But somebody upstairs obviously liked him."