PDA

View Full Version : ""TIME TO DISSECT DEFENSE ""

Bretsky
01-14-2010, 08:15 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/81328997.html

Kind of obvious, but ya gotta expect some changes are coming soon on D again

retailguy
01-14-2010, 08:46 AM
Deciding if strong safety Atari Bigby needs to be replaced will be another item on the agenda. :shock:

Why would they do that? Don't they read packerrats? Guy is "just short" of being a probowler.... :twisted:

Thank God they're looking at that too. Bigby was lost on Sunday before his injury. The Cardinals were running too fast for him to lay a big hit, and there wasn't much else he could do except watch them execute play after play after play.

We need secondary depth. Badly. And not just "potential" guys, though we need a couple new ones. We need some guys with game experience. When Harris went down, Tramon moved over, and that was OK, but who was there to move over for Tramon? Nobody. That's the problem. You expect a small downgrade each time you move somebody. That's natural. We got that with Harris to Williams. But we got a damn big downgrade from Williams to Bush (or whomever). That's where lack of experience hurt us, and it showed against AZ.

pbmax
01-14-2010, 09:05 AM
OK, I think I want to go back to last year's theme that Rodgers was not a "winner" not could he pull a game out at the last minute. Or that he was only concerned with his stats.

1. This scheme beat that offense for the Super Bowl last year.
2. The fact that that offense was in the Super Bowl against the previous offense that caused us fits might tell you something about the difficulty of the challenge.
3. Everyone was predicting a .500 season before preseason games precisely because it would take time for Capers and his players to execute the scheme correctly.
4. Al Harris was out.
5. Kampman, while he was not as an effective pass rusher in this scheme, would likely have been more solid against the edge runs that offense used than Brad Jones.

The questions that exist for this team are the same as every other good team. Replace a couple starters, regain health and depth, get better at the scheme.

denverYooper
01-14-2010, 09:10 AM
Deciding if strong safety Atari Bigby needs to be replaced will be another item on the agenda. :shock:

Why would they do that? Don't they read packerrats? Guy is "just short" of being a probowler.... :twisted:

Thank God they're looking at that too. Bigby was lost on Sunday before his injury. The Cardinals were running too fast for him to lay a big hit, and there wasn't much else he could do except watch them execute play after play after play.

Are they looking into it? I thought that was just JS speculation.

They're probably interested in bringing in competition at the position, but nowhere did I see a quote from a coach saying that this was a top priority. They're evaluating the whole roster, per the comments. But that's about it.

From that same paragraph, they're also deciding if Tramon Williams is an NFL starter.

Maybe Capers wants them to bring in more linebackers with coverage skills and not more DBs. I honestly thought the biggest problem was that they tried to get our LBers matched up on their receivers. That and our tackling was horrendous. You often hear of offenses "leaving yards on the field", but how many yards did the D put on the field due to crappy tackling?

MJZiggy
01-14-2010, 06:37 PM

Are they looking into it? I thought that was just JS speculation.

They're probably interested in bringing in competition at the position, but nowhere did I see a quote from a coach saying that this was a top priority. They're evaluating the whole roster, per the comments. But that's about it.

From that same paragraph, they're also deciding if Tramon Williams is an NFL starter.

Maybe Capers wants them to bring in more linebackers with coverage skills and not more DBs. I honestly thought the biggest problem was that they tried to get our LBers matched up on their receivers. That and our tackling was horrendous. You often hear of offenses "leaving yards on the field", but how many yards did the D put on the field due to crappy tackling?

It's a JS article. They are just throwing poo at the wall (wonder if they're actually TRYING to influence decisions....)