PDA

View Full Version : MTV Turns 25 years old

GBRulz
07-30-2006, 08:36 AM
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060730/GPG04/607300369/1250

I remember being glued to the TV.... and a typical Friday Night involved a slumber party at someone's house that HAD to have MTV. It was on all evening, except to take a break to flip the channel to the Dukes of Hazzard because we were all in love with Bo Duke...

BallHawk
07-30-2006, 09:22 AM
MTV is good and bad. It's entertaining for shows like Made, Room Raiders, and Why Can't I be you. But I find some many people in my class, that are constantly glued to the TV. And there is one show called my Super Sweet Sixteen, which basically shows these spoiled teenagers getting millions spent on them for their birthday. And the kids LOVE IT.

I remember this year when we our teacher allowed us to watch TV on the last day of 7th grade this year. The kids flipped on the TV and were watching Sweet Sixteen and marveling at a kid who got a 100,000 dollar Benz fot their birthday.. "I wanna be just like them," they'd say. And there is one girl in my classes who's Dad is filthy rich. Here brother got a car for getting good grades and was bored one day, so he purposely beat it up with a hammer and was bought a new one. It's disgusting. Music and influences them, at lunch everybody was listening and dancing to a song that said "Hey, b!tch, can I suck on your t!ts? Put my hand down you pants and let me feel your lips." These kids don't even know what this stuff means. On second thought, they do because teen culture is fueled by sex, nowadays. Sure I'm a kid myself, and enjoy a lot of things people consider stupid, but I consider myself a hell of a lot smarter than these pre-teen diva's who prance around school like underdressed whores. And it's true these higher class kids kids are taught to look down at the middle class. My Mom just got a really nice Honda Odyssey with Navigation, DVD, every thing, about 38,00 MSRP. Well, when my Mom picked me up in it my friend said that it was a nice car, but the spoiled girl remarked, "That car's a piece of shit. Only niggers drive Honda's." And I was like what the fuck? These children are arrogant, spoiled, and rude, and I look forward to when they spend and gamble away all of Daddy Warbucks' money and they have to work for something in life.

GBRulz
07-30-2006, 09:34 AM
Even when I turned 16, some kids in our class got brand new expensive cars. The principle is the same.... and each generation has it's snobby crowd. And people wonder why so many are living with out of control credit card debt and things financed to the max. It's the whole "i want it now" attitude.

The difference between young kids now is that they are growing up with technology as their friend, instead of real friends that you used to go outside and play with. Even younger people with cell phones....instead of calling the person, they just text. Which IMO, is just another example of how impersonable people are becoming.

You sound like a very nice young man, BallHawk. a few years from now, you'll look back at those losers and have the last laugh for sure. Because unfortunately, money cannot buy personality and class - something many of those kids lack.

BTW - maybe FL is different but Honda is def a crackers car up here :wink:

BallHawk
07-30-2006, 09:39 AM
Ok, I just read an my post again and I sound like such an old man. I was just short of saying "new age technology" and "whippersnapper."

P.S. Thanks for the love GB. :mrgreen:

GBRulz
07-30-2006, 09:45 AM
well, just be careful not to start sentences with "back when i was your age"...

Gosh, I catch myself doing that at times and I am horrified that I really AM becoming my mother.... who by the way is a great woman, no disrespect there.... I'm just saying!!

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-30-2006, 10:35 AM
MTV is good and bad. It's entertaining for shows like Made, Room Raiders, and Why Can't I be you. But I find some many people in my class, that are constantly glued to the TV. And there is one show called my Super Sweet Sixteen, which basically shows these spoiled teenagers getting millions spent on them for their birthday. And the kids LOVE IT.

I remember this year when we our teacher allowed us to watch TV on the last day of 7th grade this year. The kids flipped on the TV and were watching Sweet Sixteen and marveling at a kid who got a 100,000 dollar Benz fot their birthday.. "I wanna be just like them," they'd say. And there is one girl in my classes who's Dad is filthy rich. Here brother got a car for getting good grades and was bored one day, so he purposely beat it up with a hammer and was bought a new one. It's disgusting. Music and influences them, at lunch everybody was listening and dancing to a song that said "Hey, b!tch, can I suck on your t!ts? Put my hand down you pants and let me feel your lips." These kids don't even know what this stuff means. On second thought, they do because teen culture is fueled by sex, nowadays. Sure I'm a kid myself, and enjoy a lot of things people consider stupid, but I consider myself a hell of a lot smarter than these pre-teen diva's who prance around school like underdressed whores. And it's true these higher class kids kids are taught to look down at the middle class. My Mom just got a really nice Honda Odyssey with Navigation, DVD, every thing, about 38,00 MSRP. Well, when my Mom picked me up in it my friend said that it was a nice car, but the spoiled girl remarked, "That car's a piece of shit. Only niggers drive Honda's." And I was like what the fuck? These children are arrogant, spoiled, and rude, and I look forward to when they spend and gamble away all of Daddy Warbucks' money and they have to work for something in life.

You say you sound like an old man, and maybe you do a little :razz:, but I total agree with you. I grow up in a lower to middle class neighborhood and I never got anything handed to me. If I wanted a car I had to get a job, If I wanted a TV I had to get a job, If I wanted anything, will you get the piont. I also get pissed off sometimes watching some people get everything handed to them and not even appreciate it.

But we have to remember that we grow up with tons of money we would want the same things these rich kids are getting. The only difference is I would sure as hell appreciate it. :wink:

Partial
07-30-2006, 11:45 AM
I remembed back in the day when Road Rules, Singled Out and Real World were there big shows, and the rest of the time was music. Man, those were the days, nows it just garbage on there.

GBRulz
07-30-2006, 12:02 PM
Partial.... you're a youngin'.

THE days were Headbangers Ball and Yo MTV Raps!!! :wink:

Partial
07-30-2006, 12:10 PM
Partial.... you're a youngin'.

THE days were Headbangers Ball and Yo MTV Raps!!! :wink:

:lol: I've heard of both but don't really remember them. Those were from when I was really, really young!

HarveyWallbangers
07-30-2006, 01:04 PM
There's us old timers that grew up with MTV--when it played videos most of the day. Then, there are the young timers who see it now--when it's mostly bad reality shows of spoiled brats. I think MTV changed once The Real World (NYC) first came on back in the early 90s.

GBRulz
07-30-2006, 01:08 PM
I remember "Thriller" as I was about 9 when that video came out and I couldn't watch the beginning where he turned into a werewolf as I was too scared!

Noodle
07-30-2006, 01:10 PM
I was there for the first days of MTV. The cool and maddening thing about it then was you had all sorts of stuff playing, crap you heard too much on the regular radio, but also stuff that you never heard before, but wanted to hear again and again (for me, that was Elvis C, The Specials, and The English Beat).

And believe it or not, Ballhawk, it was just about all-videos all the time, with no "shows" until Real World in 1992 (ok) and Beavis and Butthead in 1993 (friggin great).

For histories sake, I reprint below the Aug. 1, 1981 MTV playlist -- feel the diversity (top this, Patler!):

The Buggles - Video Killed the Radio Star. Pat Benatar - You Better Run. Rod Stewart - She Won't Dance. The Who - You Better You Bet. Phd - Little Susie's on the Up. Cliff Richard - We Don't Talk Anymore. The Pretenders - Brass in Pocket. Todd Rundgren - Time Heals. REO Speedwagon - Take it on the Run. Styx - Rockin' the Paradise. Robiin Lane & The Chartbusters - When Things Go Wrong. Split Enz - History Never Repeats. .38 Special - Hold on Loosely. April Wine - Just Between You & Me. Rod Stewart - Sailing. Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden. REO Speedwagon - Keep on Loving You. The Pretenders - Message of Love. Lee Ritenour - Mr. Briefcase. The Cars - Double Life. Phil Collins - In the Air Tonight. Robert Palmer - Looking for Clues. The Shoes - Too Late. Stevie Nicks & Tom Petty - Stop Draggin' my Heart Around. Rupert Hines - Surface Tension. Madness - One Step Beyond. Gerry Rafferty - Baker Street. Pat Benatar - I'm Gonna Follow You. Tom Johnson - Savannah Nights. Rockestra - Lucille. Styx - The Best of Times. Carly Simon - Vengeance. Iron Maiden - Wrathchild. Blotto - I Wanna Be a Lifeguard. Rod Stewart - Passion. Elvis Costello - Oliver's Army. REO Speedwagon - Don't Let Him Go. The Silencers - Remote Control/I'm Too Legal. Juice Newton - Angel of the Morning. Rockestra - Little Sister. Bootcamp - Hold on to the Night. Cliff Richard - Dreaming. Lee Ritenour - Is it You? Fleetwood Mac - Tusk. Michael Stanley Band - He Can't Love You. REO Speedwagon - Tough Guys. Blondie - Rapture. The Who - Don't Let Go the Coat. Rod Stewart - Ain't Love a Bitch. The Pretenders - Talk of the Town. Rainbow - Can't Happen Here. Andrew Gold - Thank You for Being a Friend. Gerry Rafferty - Bring it all Home. April Wine - Sign of the Gypsy Queen. Kate Bush - The Man With the Child in His Eyes. David Bowie - Ashes to Ashes. April Wine - Just Between You and Me. The Specials - Rat Race. Talking Heads - Once in a Lifetime. Bootcamp - Victim. Rod Stewart - Tonight's the Night. Nick Lowe - Cruel to be Kind.

BallHawk
07-30-2006, 01:34 PM
They were talking about bringing back Beavis and Butthead a couple months ago, don't know how it went, haven't heard anything though. Room Raiders gets REALLY repetitive after a while. Every one goes like this.

Guy 1: Sweet this is Amy's room. Let's go look for her thongs.

Guy 2: (Opens drawer.) OH SNAP, look at this one.

Guy 3: (Snatches it from guy 2 and puts it on his head.)

Amy: (Walks in and pretends to be surprised.)

It happens EVERY Damn episode, The exact same thing every time.

P.S. A little story about room raiders. I was over at my friends house and we were watching room raiders. During the show I went to the bathroom for about 3 minutes. When I came back my friend had his hands in his pants with his eyes closed. He didn't realize I saw him because the door was half closed and when I went into the room he wasn't doing it anymore. Apparently, he was getting off to some Brunette going through some guys condom drawer. AND when we went on his computer his history was full of Abercrombie and Fitch panties and bra pages. TOTAL FUCKIN' WEIRDO. I'm not friends with him anymore for obvious reasons.

GBRulz
07-30-2006, 02:02 PM
"In the Air Tonight" by Phil Collins was popular in 1981? I thought it was from the late 80's and got it's popularity from "Miami Vice".

Anyhow, look at all those REO tunes in there.... gosh and to think 10 years after the height of their popularity, you can catch them at your local fair for $10 a ticket :wink:

GBRulz
07-30-2006, 02:04 PM
Ballhawk, I don't even know what Room Raiders is.... but it sounds like I'm not missing much. The only shows that I sometimes watch on MTV is "punk'd" and "Pimp My Ride"

BallHawk
07-30-2006, 02:14 PM
Room Raiders is a show when three "unsuspecting" people are "kidnapped" from the houses and put in a van." If girls were kidnapped than a boy will search their room and vice-versa. That person goes through the three rooms and has to choose someone to date based only on that persons room. All photos of that person are removed. Than at the end the kidnapped people get to search the other persons room.

GBRulz
07-30-2006, 03:32 PM
oh ok, yeah, I've seen that on before. Some dude was deciding on whether to date this girl with a messy closet but cool art on the walls vs the very organized and neat girl who had boring decorating taste. Something like that....

CyclonePackFan
07-31-2006, 11:25 AM
They were talking about bringing back Beavis and Butthead a couple months ago, don't know how it went, haven't heard anything though.

It's not gonna happen, Mike Judge has wisely been buying Beavis and Butt-Head off of MTV slowly and is releasing the show on DVD. Only problem is that he can't get many music videos since he has to get both MTV and the artist's permission.

MTV needs to die.