PDA

View Full Version : Bob McGinn's New Math

pbmax
01-16-2010, 11:17 AM
Please help me parse this out. Its Bob's season ending compilation of statistics for the Packers' season.

In it he writes that:

Matthews 45½ "pressures," including 11 sacks, 16 knockdowns and 18½ hurries

then, for comparison he writes about AK:

Kampman's team-leading totals of 55, 58½ and 49 in the past three seasons

Now if you look for Aaron Kampman's sack totals for the past three season, you will find:
15½ (06), 12 (07), and 9½ (08). In my world, that is 37. So what category are 55, 58½ and 49 tallies for?

I think Bob's math is garbage.

pbmax
01-16-2010, 11:18 AM
Eh, never mind. He is saying Matthews "pressure" totals are below Kampman's for each of the last three seasons. Those AK numbers are the aggregate of sacks, hits and hurries.

channtheman
01-16-2010, 11:59 AM
It's still garbage if he's trying to say Kampman is better than Matthews. You have to look more at the decline in Kampy's numbers over the years and then I'd like to see his number for this year before the injury. Probably would have been on pace for a season even worse than 08.

pbmax
01-16-2010, 12:46 PM
It's still garbage if he's trying to say Kampman is better than Matthews. You have to look more at the decline in Kampy's numbers over the years and then I'd like to see his number for this year before the injury. Probably would have been on pace for a season even worse than 08.
Matthews is very young, so you can never tell how things will work out, but he also only played 12 games as the starter. So those numbers would have been higher if not for an offseason hamstring pull.

hoosier
01-16-2010, 12:56 PM
Matthews will also be the center of attention for opponents blocking schemes next year. I would not be surprised to see his numbers decline slightly until he figures out how to account for double teams, or until TT finds someone on the other side who can make the opponents pay for 2x-ing CM.

HarveyWallbangers
01-16-2010, 04:24 PM
Don't forget that Matthews had injuries early and wasn't a full-time starter until week 4. If he plays every down from week 1, his stats would likely have been very similar to Kampman.

packrulz
01-16-2010, 05:16 PM
Kampy is still pretty darn good though, and this was his first year at LB, Matthews played it in college so he had more experience. I'd like Kampy and Matthews on the field at the same time, I hope they can resign him to a reasonable contract, that may be impossible. McGinn can be a knob but he still has a good article now and then.

The Leaper
01-16-2010, 06:51 PM
McGinn is a moron.

Playing OLB in a 3-4 is not at all comparable to playing DE in a 4-3 in terms of chances in pressuring the QB. The DE in a 4-3 will have a chance for pressure ON EVERY PASS PLAY. That simply is untrue of a 3-4 OLB, who may rush the passer 100% of the time in bona fide passing situations...but will probably be doing other things if the down and distance doesn't automatically say "pass".

To even suggest there is some kind of direct number comparison is silly...and makes McGinn look like the crackpot he is.

pbmax
01-16-2010, 07:17 PM
McGinn is a moron.

Playing OLB in a 3-4 is not at all comparable to playing DE in a 4-3 in terms of chances in pressuring the QB. The DE in a 4-3 will have a chance for pressure ON EVERY PASS PLAY. That simply is untrue of a 3-4 OLB, who may rush the passer 100% of the time in bona fide passing situations...but will probably be doing other things if the down and distance doesn't automatically say "pass".

To even suggest there is some kind of direct number comparison is silly...and makes McGinn look like the crackpot he is.
Well, he has been writing this column at the end of the season for more than 10 years, so he has to work with work with the team as it has previously been composed. Its not quote apples to apples, but it makes more sense than comparing him to Na'il Diggs.

And the point is to give some definite measure to the season by position and player, its not a comparison of who is more talented, effective, or worth keeping.