PDA

View Full Version : Official Packers 2009 Team Grades (Positional Analysis).....

SnakeLH2006
01-17-2010, 02:58 AM
http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/yb/140093243

Jan. 16--PASS OFFENSE (B-plus)

An improved Aaron Rodgers, a break-out season for Jermichael Finley and one of the NFL's finest quartets of wide receivers led to a No. 7 ranking with 261.3 yards per game and then a 404-yard outburst in the playoffs. Rodgers ranked fourth in passer rating at 103.2, and counting the playoff game his overall rating was 104.6. His third-down rating of 133.5 was the league's best in a decade. The shortcoming was protection; with 37 sacks in the first eight games, the Packers were headed for the franchise record. The insertion of Mark Tauscher at RT stabilized the O-line and sliced the sack total in the second half to 14. Of the 51 sacks, Rodgers was responsible for a team-leading 16 1/2 because he consistently held the ball too long. Greg Jennings ranked 15th in receiving yards (1,113) and Donald Driver, who had 11 of the exorbitant total of 50 drops, ranked 19th (1,061). Jennings, Driver, Jordy Nelson and James Jones all improved their yards-after-catch average, with Jones going from 2.90 to 6.0 yards. Finley averaged 5.67 after the catch and 12.3 in all, which trailed only Antonio Gates (14.6), Brent Celek (12.8) and Vernon Davis (12.4) among leading TEs. Largely because of Finley's emergence, tight ends were targeted on 24.9% of passes compared to 14.1% in 2008. In all, the Packers averaged 12.6 per catch, which tied for fifth in the NFL and represented their best mark since '87. The 29th-place ranking in sack percentage was the team's worst since '90. The 50-yard bomb to Jennings that beat Chicago on opening night was the first of 24 passes for more than 35 yards.

RUSH OFFENSE (C-plus)

Mike McCarthy achieved balance on offense with a ground game that ranked 14th at 117.8 yards per game. That was the team's best rushing production since 2004, Ahman Green's last good season. With Ryan Grant averaging 4.50 in 17 games and 4.44 in the regular season, Green Bay ranked 13th in yards per carry (4.30). Grant was seventh in the NFL with 1,253 yards and scored 11 of the 20 TDs, the Packers' high since they had 23 in '64. Superbly coached by Edgar Bennett, the RBs fumbled just once on a rush (Brandon Jackson in Week 5) and once on a pass (Grant in Week 2). The "bad" run total of 108 was the team's lowest in a decade; Daryn Colledge was charged with 18 1/2 of them. McCarthy ran the ball on 42% of the downs, not far off the NFL average of 43.7%. He remained true to the zone scheme, using the outside and inside zone plays over and over but also expanding the run-game package out of shotgun and incorporating more inverted-wishbone formations. One of the three fullbacks was on the field 42.1% of the time, and on average the Packers had 1.3 tight ends on the field. Rodgers scrambled for 316 yards, second most in the NFL behind Jacksonville's David Garrard (323). The Packers struggled against many of their better opponents, averaging 102.1 against the 10 foes with the best records and 144 against the six foes with the worst records. The third-down job passed from DeShawn Wynn (66 snaps) to Brandon Jackson (270) in Week 5 after Wynn injured his knee. Then Green was brought back on Oct. 21 to carry 41 times for 160 yards in 84 snaps.

PASS DEFENSE (B)

Until late December this segment of the defense was the toast of the state for having shut down just about every quarterback with the exception of Brett Favre. Then Pittsburgh's Ben Roethlisberger (503 yards) in Week 14 -- and Arizona's Kurt Warner (379) in the playoffs -- exposed flaw after flaw in the carefully constructed 3-4 scheme of coordinator Dom Capers. When Big Ben and Warner combined for a passer rating of 143.5, the Packers had a pair of defeats and an off-season ahead to figure out what in the heck happened. Otherwise, the numbers were very good: fifth against the pass (201.1 yards) and fourth in opponents' passer rating (68.8). The 30 interceptions, including 26 by DBs, led the league and were the most in Green Bay since 1981. Defensive Player of the Year Charles Woodson picked off nine and forced 15 turnovers, including five pass plays in which he forced a fumble that was recovered by the Packers. There were major problems with the red-zone defense, which ranked 28th for the worst finish since '04. Opponents passed for 29 TDs, then Warner chalked up five more in the playoffs. Thanks mainly to Clay Matthews and his club-high 45 1/2 "pressures," the sack total went from 13 at mid-season to 37 at the end. Other than Cullen Jenkins (39 "pressures"), the D-line offered little push. Still, Johnny Jolly did set the club record with 11 batted balls. With Woodson matching and dominating receivers of all types (Chad Ochocinco, Jason Witten, Calvin Johnson), the Packers allowed just three 100-yard games to WRs and two to TEs. Capers blitzed on 27% of passes, a marked increase from Bob Sanders' 19.9% in '08.

RUSH DEFENSE (A)

Capers' first order of business was doing something about a defense that ranked 26th against the run (131.6). Mission accomplished. For the first time ever the Packers led the NFL in run defense, setting a franchise record of 83.3 in the process. They also improved drastically (4.60 to 3.59) in yards allowed per carry. With help from top-shelf assistants Mike Trgovac (DL) and Kevin Greene (OLB), Capers limited 12 of 17 foes to less than 100 yards. The 100-yard rushers were Cedric Benson (29-141) in Week 2 and Steven Jackson (27-117) in Week 3. Adrian Peterson settled for 152 yards in 50 attempts (3.04) in Week 4 and Week 7. The heaviest foursome of D-linemen in the NFL (327.5-pound average) was hard to budge, the OLBs generally set the edge and the ILBs gradually warmed to the 3-4 scheme. Frustrated opponents, often trailing on the scoreboard, ran just 371 times against Green Bay, the third fewest total faced by any defense. Down the stretch, the power ground games of Dallas (14-61) and Baltimore (21-66) didn't go anywhere. The Packers had 64 tackles for loss, a vast improvement from merely 30 the year before and their highest total in more than 20 years. Playing virtually every snap after the first month as he returned from a blown knee, Nick Barnett led the team in tackles (126), tackles for loss (10) and missed tackles (13). The unit recovered fumbles by three of the NFL's top six rushers: Jackson, Peterson and Baltimore's Ray Rice. After a no-try outing in Week 16, the Cardinals gained more yards (156) than any opponent had all season by running outside and away from the behemoths inside.

SPECIAL TEAMS (D-minus)

After finishing 26th last year in a 10-category ranking of special-teams performance, McCarthy asked for and received retirement papers from Mike Stock. McCarthy then promoted Shawn Slocum but ultimately the results were even worse: Green Bay ranked 32nd in those same 10 categories. The units did finish with average to good performances in the last five games, but until then it was a royal mess. There were 32 penalties, an unprecedented number, and 14 were holds. Green Bay never had more than 10 holding calls in the previous 22 seasons. Cincinnati's Quan Cosby helped swing the tide in Week 2 with a pair of long punt returns. Later, Minnesota's Percy Harvin and Tampa Bay's Clifton Smith did the same thing returning kickoffs. If not for the speedy chases of Tramon Williams, several lengthy returns would have been TDs. The Packers ranked 31st in opponents' average starting point (28.9) after kickoffs. The return game was ordinary after Will Blackmon blew out his knee in Week 5, although Jordy Nelson did rank 11th on kickoff returns (25.4). For the second season in a row the turnover differential was even. The kicker-punter duo of Mason Crosby and Jeremy Kapinos was among the worst in the NFL. Crosby tied for 25th in FG percentage (75%) and Kapinos tied for 32nd in net punt (34.1). Three times Slocum had his units well-prepared either to spring surprise plays or prevent them from succeeding. Desmond Bishop (23 tackles) and Derrick Martin (21), the top two tacklers, were cited by Slocum as the leading core players. Long snapper Brett Goode had a second straight flawless season.

PERSONNEL MOVES (B)

GM Ted Thompson was bullish on the roster coming off a 6-10 season and elected to remain status quo despite calls for free-agency action. He stayed with Grant as the featured back. He was convinced that he had enough D-linemen and linebackers for the 3-4. In both instances, Thompson was right. His monumental decision (for him) to trade up into the first round for Matthews not only made his draft but also the defense. From the draft, which might turn out to be his finest, Thompson got two starters, the No. 6 O-lineman, the No. 4 D-lineman, the late-season dime back and a part-time FB. The youngest team in the NFL for the fourth straight year improved substantially in the second half. His only foray into unrestricted free agency (C-G Duke Preston) was a washout. Thompson refused to increase a low-ball offer to P Hunter Smith in April so the former Colt went to Washington, where his net of 36.8 tied for 22nd and his directional numbers were far better than Kapinos'. By not signing a veteran tackle until Mark Tauscher was ready, Thompson got to watch his backup LTs get overrun by DE Jared Allen in the Vikings' sweep. In the only player-for-player trade, Martin provided value in exchange for Tony Moll. Bringing back Tauscher might have been a no-brainer but the move did wonders for what had been a hapless O-line. Moving CB Patrick Lee to injured reserve Sept. 5 with a fairly minor knee injury was highly questionable; he looked ready to go by October. Six of the 10 in-season additions to the 53-man roster came off the practice squad, and not one made any impact. After giving $21 million to Brandon Chillar in a strange move, the Packers ended the year $10.1 million beneath the salary cap.

COACHING (B)

McCarthy had an impressive season as an offensive tactician and play-caller. The Packers set the franchise record for points (461) because there was balance and the passing game was cutting-edge good. The route combinations are clean, the routes are precise and the tempo is fast. McCarthy decision to give Rodgers even more leeway at the line resulted in dozens of run-to-pass plays that never made 7-yard gains look easier. The Packers' turnover differential of plus-24, their best since 1965, was nine turnovers better than anyone else and a remarkable achievement. After a jackrabbit-style burst through August, McCarthy didn't have the team ready for September. He suffered the ignominious distinction of being swept by Favre and Brad Childress, which in the end cost him the NFC North title. And he suffered a hideous defeat to winless Tampa Bay 10 days after his encounter with part-time maintenance man Mike Wood led to the aide's dismissal and made the coach look petty. Yet, one week after Tampa Bay, McCarthy got the team off the deck in the turnaround victory over Dallas that ignited the run to the playoffs. Over the last three years, the Packers have had more penalty yards than any other team. McCarthy doesn't get overly agitated about it, but when crucial late calls aren't made against a playoff opponent he might reconsider what effect his approach is having on officials. After choosing to batter the hibernating Cardinals in the regular-season finale, his players might have gone in fatheaded only to fall behind, 17-0. Rallying mightily though they did, the Packers never did take the lead and the result was McCarthy's second crushing playoff defeat as the favored team in the last three years.

OVERALL (B)

Not many outsiders recognized that the Packers would be vastly improved from a 6-10 finish in 2008. The players and coaches, however, knew the team would be. So the five-game jump to 11-5, though impressive, wasn't the achievement that the five-game leap was from 8-8 to 13-3 in 2007. The schedule, including the four-game matchup against the lowly NFC West, was advantageous, to say the least. The Packers' strength of schedule (113-143) tied for second softest in the NFL. When Jermichael Finley returned from injury in Week 10 and the new 3-4 defensive scheme became more second nature, the Packers turned into one of the NFL's hottest and most dangerous teams. For the 22nd time in the last 26 years, the Packers posted a better or the same record in the second half as they did in the first. Injuries (seven starters missed 39 games) were manageable. Morale was high. Expectations soared. Having lost the NFC North crown early with the sweep at the hands of Minnesota, the wild-card playoff berth became a foregone conclusion by mid-December. The Packers ended the regular season having outscored their opponents by 164 points, second in the NFL to New Orleans (169). But with thousands of Packers fans in attendance one week after the Cardinals had been routed in the same desert venue, the Packers were eliminated in overtime. Thus, a team with the No. 2 defense, the No. 6 offense and by far the best giveaway-takeaway ratio couldn't get past a team with the No. 14 offense, the No. 20 defense and a turnover differential of minus-7. The season crashed to a halt with Rodgers holding the ball one final time.

I'm sure most Rats watched all the games and here's Snake's Take per position:

-QB: Arod absolutely beasted and several media guys picked him to be the MVP in 2009 and the Pack to be the surprise SB champ. A little premature, but with better coaching, some more talent, ARod is the man in 2010. I love that kid. I wouldn't trade him for anyone. The sky's the limit as he reminds me of Steve Young with a better deep ball. That's saying something as I truly feel with his arm/legs/poise/age he can be better than Peyton Mannin is/was (who I think is the best QB ever, even though I don't like Peyton). That's saying something there....

Our 2nd string LSU backup is our Doug Pederson.....love that kid too as a long-term backup in case Arod gets hurt. We are solid there.

-TE: JFinley is a beast to be realized. Wow, at 22-23? did he just tear it up in the playoff game. Just a beast. I feel in the next year or 2 he'll be one of the top match-up nightmares across the league. Gates has been good, but truly I feel Finley at his age/speed/hand-eye coordination might be a new type of beast. Like a 100 catch/15 TD TE the likes haven't been seen EVER. He's that good, and love his nasty side (watch the Packer shows...he's cocky as hell and love it). Lee is deece backup.

-WR: Jennings underwhelmed but is due for a rebound year. Driver was really good in some games, but his age (35 next year) is starting to show (drops, bonehead penalties at WR....who get's penalized at WR???) Jordy underwhelmed at both WR and as returner (he looks embarrassing out there at times as a returner with 0 instincts). James Jones looked pretty good, as usual.

-OL: Lang looked good as a rook, and Tauchy and Cliffy (when healthy) looked good in keeping Arod upright over the past 9 games. Langy is the future, but hope we sign a top LT or draft one. Tauchy has a year or 3 left at RT. Sign him for cheap. I don't care as long as Barbre doesn't get any playing time. Sitton was good at RG and even College is ok at LG (keep him away from LT though). Good god.

-RB: Not a Grant fan, but he surprised me this year and he did well late and ok with him in 2010....too bad he's getting close to 30 and his bonus money is running out. Did you guys know that now with his bonus money, he's paid top 5 of all RB's in the NFL in 2010 and just behind Steven Jackson and AP? Yep. I bitched about his 1250 plateau last week, but now he gets paid like elite. Is he elite? I'll let you decide, but our backups suck ass. I doubt Green is back, but did ok in spot duty. Still unimpressed with Brandon Jackson....

-DL: Raji will be really good next year, and showed flashes. Jolly was solid but doubt he gets better. Pickett is 31/32 and a FA and is gonna decline. Who was that guy at DE we all thought was gonna blow up, Jenkins? Where was he healthy? Need some upgrades draft wise there. That killed us in the playoffs as we need to generate heat with the DL regardless of scheme.

-LB: Really happy with Matthews. He's really a relentless stud with a motor. Jones (7th round) was an upgrade over Kampy, and looks relentless too with less upside, but has some speed. I like Jones. Hope we don't resign Kampy unless it's vet min. as he looked lost. Barnett was just ok. Hawk kept sucking. Chillar got a huge ($5.1 million yearly multi deal.....WTF?)...Popps kept sucking (and reminds me of the Chillar deal...big money for what??). TT makes overall good decisions but wish he wasn't a former LB, or he wouldn't have the 3 worst contracts on this team going to LB's....Chillar, Hawk, and Popps. WTF? Bishop should start and makes ST and occasional instinctive plays when he gets a shot (start him). Anyone feel Snake on that? Bishop in preseason/ST/rare shots at LB is all over the field making plays....at least more so than big money "Hawk-Popps...and to lesser degree Chillar"? Ya feel me? I don't mind Chillar, but Hawk and Popps combine for $10-11 million in 2010....Bishop gets $750,000. I'd rather have Bishop make plays, as Popps and Hawk already proved they couldn't cover a TE or sack a QB, or stuff a RB if their life depended on it...Just sayin'....Get rid of the dead weight....and still stumped over that Chillar contract (at least he can cover the rare times he's healthy), much less the Popps contract....but anyway....Popps and Hawk need to go. Chillar is serviceable, but regardless those are some terrible contracts vs. production. Jones at $375,000 is much more the player than Popps and Hawk, and maybe Chillar. TT fucked up there.

-Secondary: CWood is a beast. Al is old and probably done with his injuries. TWill was great and the D was just as good, no one picked on him. Collins deserves a new deal, and is really good. Bigby was solid healthy, no probs there. Blackmon is hurt and sux at CB anyway. Bush is just an embarrassment year after year. Bell cost us the Pitt game. Underwood didn't play much at all. We need some fresh blood at CB for sure.

ST: I didn't mind Kampinos. He was consistent and not as bad as Ryan (big punts, shanks)....Crosby was awful. Cost us some games. Huge leg/little heart.

Coaching: McFatty earned my avatar at 4-4.....was gonna replace it when we got in the playoffs, but the stupid ass decisions make me want him gone again....Accepting the ball first in a loud stadium...going trips offense early and going behind by 17. Poor clock management late to give the Cards a chance to win (missed FG)...not going for 2 points to win it late....

I'll give McFatty one more year, loved Dom Capers other than him falling asleep in the last game, but Campen (the young OL guys don't get better year after year, in fact the only reason our OL got better was Cliffy got healthy and Taucher came back) and Slocum (those special teams from punt/KR coverage to actual punting and kicking) need to go. Let's hope McFatty doesn't hire any more "homies".

Management: TT drafts strong. Keeping our team young helps in cap issues and in growth. I hope he signs an OT for either Cliffy (hopefully) or Tauchy (as Barbre is a seive) or drafts a top OT.

Overall a good year, as we'll be an 11 win team or better in 2010 as the Vikes get older, the Bears still suck, and the Lions...ahahhahahahaha.

Is Snake off his kilter in his assessment of our team or spot on? This is how I feel going into 2010. Thoughts......

Bretsky
01-17-2010, 08:21 AM
I don't see where you get Crosby has little heart; I've never read anything poorly about his work ethic or attitude.

Kapinos is terrible

Scott Campbell
01-17-2010, 09:36 AM
Did you guys know that now with his bonus money, he's (Grant is) paid top 5 of all RB's in the NFL in 2010 and just behind Steven Jackson and AP?

Grant finished 7th in the NFL, so his money isn't way out of line.

MJZiggy
01-17-2010, 10:12 AM
I don't see where you get Crosby has little heart; I've never read anything poorly about his work ethic or attitude.

Kapinos is terrible

Crosby doesn't tackle like someone with little heart...

denverYooper
01-17-2010, 11:28 AM

Kapinos is terrible

Crosby doesn't tackle like someone with little heart...

Yup. He was one of the better tacklers on ST this year :).

He's also very good on kickoffs and onside kicks. Maybe we should just make him a "kickoff specialist" a la Buehler. And teach him how to punt. And maybe trot him out for 55 yarders when they have no other option. Basically all the big leg things.

Then bring in some other guy with great accuracy from 0-50 yards.

ND72
01-17-2010, 04:07 PM
Bishop should start

I was actually agreeing with most everything you said until here, now you just look foolish.

ND72
01-17-2010, 04:12 PM
I'd rather have Bishop make plays, as Popps and Hawk already proved they couldn't cover a TE or sack a QB, or stuff a RB if their life depended on it...

And right there is why you look foolish. Bishop never got on the field because of hte fact he can't cover shit. Do you ever read even the practice reports? Donald Lee made Bishop look foolish in practice...A LOT. Which is why he was never in on defense. And to say Hawk couldn't cover a TE..#1, it was rarely his responsiblity, and yeah remember the INT vs. the Ravens? JUST SAYIN....I read this week that Hawk was used on 12% of all of the Packer blitz's mostly as the lead blitzer where Barnett then came around off of him, so Hawk was never expected to get the sack. And then to say he never stuffed a RB??? Do we need to sit and show you a football game tape? Because after the Tampa game, it was all Hawk that was stepping up int he middle and stuffing the run. And if you even say otherwise, it will show more of your knowledge.

Do I think Hawk is great, NOPE. I think he has a long ways to go, but he was looking a lot more comfy and understanding this year than he has before. 3-4 fits him very well.

If GB really wants to get Bishop on the field, they need to play him at the other OLB position so he either blitz's or covers the flat, because if you have him in for any other reason, he's going to kill you, and you'd be better of finding Paris Lenon again, cause at least Lenon can cover.

mmmdk
01-17-2010, 04:32 PM

Kapinos is terrible

Crosby is average at best; he might be out of the league sooner rather than later unless he pulls his head together. Maybe a cut from Packers [after next season] will get him on the right track. Otherwise he's toast as he's nothing special...yet!

Kapinos is a disaster and I can't fathom why Packers are shooting themselves in the foot on their punter(s). Ryan, at least, had potential and now has a secure job in Seattle. Punting is being underrated by Packers management. Every position is important in football and a good punter can, once again, be added to the positions Packers need to upgrade this offseason.

Brohm
01-17-2010, 04:54 PM
Pickett just turned 30 during the season and TT is looking to get him resigned. RP thinks he can play until 35. Hell why not, he only plays ~25% of snaps. The Williams Bros are 30+ (Kevin 30, Pat 37), Grady Jackson is 36.

Maxie the Taxi
01-17-2010, 07:34 PM
The only thing McFatty, McStubby, McMoron did right all season was switch to a 3-4 and hire Don Capers. Well, maybe two things, he brought in Kevin Greene.

esoxx
01-17-2010, 09:05 PM
The only thing McFatty, McStubby, McMoron did right all season was switch to a 3-4 and hire Don Capers. Well, maybe two things, he brought in Kevin Greene.

I would say McStubby also was instrumental in Rodgers ongoing development as a top tier NFL QB.
His pass offense schematically is one of the best in the business as well.
He should get some credit for these things, no?

Joemailman
01-17-2010, 09:17 PM
MM deserves a lot of credit for the performance of the offense. I did think he tried to rely on downfield passing too much early, and maybe was a little stubborn about changing, but he eventually got it right.