PDA

View Full Version : Green Bay Packers 2000s All-Decade Team

SnakeLH2006
01-17-2010, 04:16 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/327132-green-bay-packers-2000s-all-decade-team

For a team that prides itself on winning championships, the Packers' title-less run through the 2000s will go down as somewhat of a disappointment, but that's not to say there weren't some great teams, moments, and players along the way.

So, let's take a look back at the very best Packer players of the past decade:

QB Brett Favre

Brett Favre was the most beloved Packer of the decade. He started every game at quarterback for the Pack from 2000-2007, leading his team to four division championships and 78 wins. Favre threw for 207 touchdowns over that span.

HB Ahman Green

Ahman Green was probably the best Packers' tailback since the glory days of Vince Lombardi. He rushed for 54 touchdowns for the Packers during his eight seasons in Green Bay.

His 2003 campaign was one of the best performances by any running back in the history of the NFL. That year, he ran for 1,883 yards and 15 touchdowns. Green was also a great receiver. He led the team in receptions on at least one occasion.

FB William Henderson

Henderson provided a steady presence for Packer teams of the 2000s. Always dependable, Henderson routinely started all 16 games for the Packers and was a selected to the Pro Bowl in 2004. When he retired, he was one of only two Packers remaining from the 1996 Super Bowl team, the other being Brett Favre.

WR Donald Driver

Driver was, by far, the best Packers’ receiver of the 2000’s. Driver caught at least 70 passes for over 1000 yards every season from 2004-2009. During the decade, Driver amassed over 9,000 yards receiving and 48 touchdowns. He will go down as one of the best receivers to ever play in Green Bay.

WR Greg Jennings

Greg Jennings is quickly becoming one of the better receivers in the NFL. In just four seasons, Jennings has totaled 3,957 yards and 28 touchdowns. He is arguably the biggest playmaker the Packers had during the past decade. His touchdown catch from Brett Favre in the 2007 overtime thriller in Denver was one of the greatest moments of the decade.

TE Bubba Franks

Drafted in the first round out of Miami, Franks became a dependable receiving threat for the Packers. During his eight seasons in Green Bay, Bubba had over 2,000 yards and 32 touchdowns. Franks was named to the Pro Bowl in 2001, 2002, and 2003.

2003 Offensive Line— LT Chad Clifton, LG Mike Wahle, C Mike Flanagan, RG Marco Rivera, RT Mark Tauscher

This line was just too good to not make this team in its entirety. The Packers’ 2003 offense was one of the best in history, and this line was the reason why. This unit paved the way for Ahman Green’s 1,800 yard rushing season while allowing Favre to pass for over 3,300 yards. Two of them, Flanagan and Rivera, were named to the Pro Bowl that season and all of them probably should have gone. They are well deserving of All-Decade status.

DE Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila

KGB’s career in Green Bay saw him go from a relatively unknown fifth-round pick to one of the fiercest pass rushers in the NFL. His 74.5 sacks rank No. 1 on the Packers’ all-time list, leaving him six ahead of the great Reggie White for his career. That’s saying something.

DT Ryan Pickett

Pickett was a big reason for the success of the Packers’ successful defenses of 2007 and 2009. In 2009, Pickett anchored a defense that led the NFL in rushing defense. His career cannot be measured in statistics. His ability to eat up blockers and make everyone else look better is why he’s on this team.

DT Corey Williams

Cletidus Hunt could be here too. Both players recorded around 17 sacks during their Packer careers. But I picked Williams here because of his large role in the Packers 2007 run to the NFC Championship. That year, Williams had seven sacks giving the Packers a solid pass-rush duo with Aaron Kampman.

DE Aaron Kampman

Kampman’s career in Green Bay got off to a slow start as he recorded only seven sacks over his first three years. Then he began to skyrocket toward stardom. Through his next four seasons, Kampman amassed 43.5 sacks, earning All-Pro honors twice.

LB Nick Barnett

Since being drafted in the first round of the 2003 draft, Nick Barnett has been the leader of the Packers’ defense. He was, by far, the most productive Packer linebacker of the 2000s, accounting for 763 tackles and 15.5 sacks.

LB AJ Hawk

As a fifth overall selection, many expected great things from AJ Hawk. Although he hasn’t lived up to all of his expectations, Hawk has turned in some pretty impressive seasons. His rookie year, AJ led the team with 120 total tackles. In his four-year career, Hawk has totaled a very respectable 400 tackles, 8.5 sacks, and five interceptions.

LB Nail Diggs

Diggs was a five-year starter for the Packers in the 2000s. During that time Diggs recorded 311 tackles, seven sacks, and four interceptions. He never had an outstanding season, but he was a solid starter for half of the decade.

CB Charles Woodson

No defensive player has been better for the Packers during the 2000’s than Charles Woodson. Since arriving in Green Bay from Oakland in 2006, Charles has intercepted 28 passes. That comes out to about one interception for every nine quarters played. In 2009 he took home top honors, winning NFL Defensive MVP.

CB Al Harris

Al Harris made his living being one of the nastiest cover men in the league. Known for his press coverage abilities, Harris dominated opponents at the line of scrimmage. Harris earned Pro Bowl honors in 2007 and 2008.

S Darren Sharper

Sharper was great in green and gold. He recorded 70-plus tackles three times and collected 31 interceptions over five seasons. Sharper was named to the Pro Bowl in 2002 and was the best player on the Packers defense from 2000-2004.

S Nick Collins

Nick Collins' career caught fire the last two seasons of the decade. His 13 interceptions over that span earned him consecutive Pro Bowl invitations. Collins started four seasons for the Packers during the 2000s.

K Ryan Longwell

The greatest kicker in Packers’ history. Longwell displayed great accuracy and clutch kicking ability for the Packers during the decade.

P Josh Bidwell

Since Bidwell left the Packers, the punting situation has been a mess. Bryan Barker, BJ Sander, Jon Ryan, Derrick, and Jeremy Kapinos have all been wildly inconsistent. Interestingly, this may be the most obvious pick of all.

Coach Mike McCarthy

McCarthy led the Packers to a 36-26 record over his four years as head coach. His 13-3 season earned him Coach of the Year honors and a trip to the NFC Championship game in 2007. It was the first time a Packers’ coach led his team to the NFC Championship since 1997, when Mike Holmgren’s Packers beat the Carolina Panthers.

________________________________________________-

Snake's Take:

QB: Favre no brainer.
RB: Ahman was a beast.
FB: Henderson was a man of men and should be on ESPN as an analyst.
WR: Driver proved it. Jennings did enough. Javon Walker was a bitch.
TE: Franks was ok. Underwhelmed Snake, but the best we had I guess.
OT: 2003 Offensive Line— LT Chad Clifton, LG Mike Wahle, C Mike Flanagan, RG Marco Rivera, RT Mark Tauscher....Those guys were beasts for Ahman's runs and Brett's backside. Very underrated IMO. Really good line there.
DE: KJB (beast pass rusher) and Kampy (underrated and very good at DE).
DT: Pickett (short time but very good at DT) and CWilliams (fuck that...one good year...I'd take Gravy Train Grady Jackson over his punk ass).
LB: Barnett (easily), Hawk (hell no he shouldn't even start now, he's terrible), Diggs (he was ok as Packer, can't think of better 2000's LB's in place of him I guess). This should show how bad our LB's were in the 2000's. Damn. Just damn poor.
CB: Harris, Woodson (Yeppers...studs).
S: Sharper (always loved him and got 3rd in D player of year 2009 votes this year...) and Collins (he really beasted in 2008-2009).
K: Longwell (I love Applebee's).
P: Bidwell (Yep).
Coach: McFatty (Nope....Shermy had a better record, more playoff success....McFatty hasn't done shit). I liked going 10-6 or 12-4 yearly. Dude was a good coach, but shitty GM. I'm voting on it as a coach though. Shermy was pretty good with X's and O's unlike McFatty.

....Only a couple of disagreements (CWilliams and Hawk (by far), and McCarthy) with the awards.....thoughts? Post your own.

Smidgeon
01-17-2010, 10:23 AM
Shermy was pretty good with X's and O's unlike McFatty.

....Only a couple of disagreements (CWilliams and Hawk (by far), and McCarthy) with the awards.....thoughts? Post your own.

So who would you put in besides Hawk?

As far as X's and O's go, that's one of McCarthy's strong points, by all reports. It's also something that's incredibly difficult to tell just watching the game. And I would put it out there that Sherman had more to work with than McCarthy. He had Ahman Green, that O'line, Brett Favre (although he put up some poorer seasons under Sherman). McCarthy had a young team, coached Favre to one of his best statistical seasons, and had to train up a young QB in the wake of an iconic player leaving the team under stressful circumstances. You may not like McCarthy (which is fairly obvious), but I would say that it's at least a draw between the two.

denverYooper
01-17-2010, 11:17 AM
Shermy was pretty good with X's and O's unlike McFatty.

So who would you put in besides Hawk?

As far as X's and O's go, that's one of McCarthy's strong points, by all reports. It's also something that's incredibly difficult to tell just watching the game. And I would put it out there that Sherman had more to work with than McCarthy. He had Ahman Green, that O'line, Brett Favre (although he put up some poorer seasons under Sherman). McCarthy had a young team, coached Favre to one of his best statistical seasons, and had to train up a young QB in the wake of an iconic player leaving the team under stressful circumstances. You may not like McCarthy (which is fairly obvious), but I would say that it's at least a draw between the two.

For as many seasons as McCarthy's put up a top 10 offense, he draws an awful lot of heat.

2009: 6th yds/gm, 3rd pts/gm
2008: 8th ypg, 5th ppg
2007: 2nd ypg, 4th ppg
2006: 9th ypg, 22nd ppg

I'd take that guy installing and dialing up the O over just about anyone. He needs to learn how to manage his challenges, maybe, and I question his willingness to put his kicker in some tough situations, but that's about it.

His major flaw is his personnel management. He seems to become pretty fond of his guys. Either that, or he's unable to effectively evaluate his own staff. It has hurt the team somewhat, I think, and has particularly hampered the o-line.

Patler
01-17-2010, 01:12 PM
As a starting DE, I would take Vonnie Holliday's all around game (including 18 sacks in 3 years '00-'02) over KGB's one-dimensional game. KGB would be my situational pass-rusher only.

For inside linebacker? He had only two of his 7 Packer seasons in the decade, but Bernardo Harris was solid and reliable, similar to Hawk.

I would find a spot for LeRoy Butler, too; even though he was on the tail end of his career in 2000-01. But for the injury, he had another year or two in him.

MOBB DEEP
01-17-2010, 01:15 PM
good thread snake

gota revisit this joint later

ND72
01-17-2010, 03:53 PM
Coach Mike McCarthy

McCarthy led the Packers to a 36-26 record over his four years as head coach. His 13-3 season earned him Coach of the Year honors and a trip to the NFC Championship game in 2007. It was the first time a Packers’ coach led his team to the NFC Championship since 1997, when Mike Holmgren’s Packers beat the Carolina Panthers.

Pretty sure we played @ San Fran in 1998 to go to Super Bowl 32.

ND72
01-17-2010, 04:01 PM
Snake's Take:

OT: 2003 Offensive Line— LT Chad Clifton, LG Mike Wahle, C Mike Flanagan, RG Marco Rivera, RT Mark Tauscher....Those guys were beasts for Ahman's runs and Brett's backside. Very underrated IMO. Really good line there.
DT: Pickett (short time but very good at DT) and CWilliams (fuck that...one good year...I'd take Gravy Train Grady Jackson over his punk ass).
LB: Barnett (easily), Hawk (hell no he shouldn't even start now, he's terrible), Diggs (he was ok as Packer, can't think of better 2000's LB's in place of him I guess). This should show how bad our LB's were in the 2000's. Damn. Just damn poor.
S: Sharper (always loved him and got 3rd in D player of year 2009 votes this year...) and Collins (he really beasted in 2008-2009).
Coach: McFatty (Nope....Shermy had a better record, more playoff success....McFatty hasn't done shit). I liked going 10-6 or 12-4 yearly. Dude was a good coach, but shitty GM. I'm voting on it as a coach though. Shermy was pretty good with X's and O's unlike McFatty.

QB is easy because Rodgers only has 2 years in the decade.
RB - Green was special.
FB - Loved Henderson.
WR - Driver & Walker probably, with Jennings comign in as well.
TE - We really didn't have a great TE, only Bubba, who was average at best.
OL - Clifton, Wahle, Flanagan, Rivera, & Tauscher are pretty easy picks.
DE - I never actually like KJB, but we didn't have anythign else, and Kampy is an easy pick.
DT - Pickett is probably the only good pick. Grady was horrible, and Williams only had one and a half good years. No real talent at DT.
LB - Barnett is an easy pick. I don't care your opinion, cause it's as good as you think Hawk is, many teams would love a guy like Hawk starting for them, but I could go on all day about that. What are our other choices? Paris Lenon? Yeah, lets put him on the all decade team. Diggs was OK, but never great.
CB - Woodson & Harris are easy.
S - Sharper & Collins are easy cause all of our other safeties have been horrible.
K & P - I don't care, they have both been bad.
Coach - as much as I dislike McCarthy, he's better than Sherman was. GM Sherman did kill Coach Sherman, but to say McCarthy doesn't know X's & O's compared to Sherman, you're dreaming. Let me remind you of U-71...we ran ONE GOD DAMN PLAY OUT OF IT....yeah, genius X & O guy.

mmmdk
01-17-2010, 04:46 PM
All good lists but think about this one; Cletidus Hunt actually has a shot at making it at DT. What a mess at DT...and the punter debacle too. :lol:

Sparkey
01-18-2010, 08:17 AM
Coach Mike McCarthy

Pretty sure we played @ San Fran in 1998 to go to Super Bowl 32.

You are both correct. The San Fran game was played in 1998 but was a part of the 97 season. The Pack won the Super Bowl in 97, which was the 96 season.

hoosier
01-18-2010, 09:49 AM
I would put Nate Wayne's production on a par with Hawk and Diggs. He only played three years with GB (2000-03) but is certainly worthy of mention along with the others.

woodbuck27
01-18-2010, 06:33 PM
I would put Nate Wayne's production on a par with Hawk and Diggs. He only played three years with GB (2000-03) but is certainly worthy of mention along with the others.

Yes. I liked Nate Wayne as well. He always seemed to be in the game and making tackles back when the Packers 'D' swarmed the ball carrier and suddenly he was gone.

Tyrone Bigguns
01-18-2010, 06:57 PM

LOL

Could you be more wrong? Seriously, could you be more wrong?

Sherman also went 9-7 and and 4-12. Guess we didn't go 10-6 and 12-4 yearly. Strike 1.

Sherman 2-4 in the playoffs in 6 years. Win% .333

MM 1-2 in playoffs. Win% .333

Strike 2.

Sherman 57-39 regular season record. Win% .594

MM 38-26 regular season record. Win% .594

Strike 3. Yer out.

Math is not your friend.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

MichiganPackerFan
01-19-2010, 01:51 PM

Yes. I liked Nate Wayne as well. He always seemed to be in the game and making tackles back when the Packers 'D' swarmed the ball carrier and suddenly he was gone.

Like Wayne too. Wasn't he the one who put a nice shot on a Vikings player when the Vikings player knelt down with the ball near the end of the game?

RashanGary
01-21-2010, 02:59 PM
Here's the offense:

LT Darryn Colledge
LG Adrian Klemm
OC Wells (with a sore trunk)
RG Whittaker
RT Barbre

Robert Ferguson
Taco Wallace

Tyrone Davis

DeMond Parker
Vonta Leach

Brian Brohm

RashanGary
01-21-2010, 03:02 PM
Or we could just take the whole 2005 team. They were elite.

sharpe1027
01-21-2010, 03:23 PM
Here's the offense:

LT Darryn Colledge
LG Adrian Klemm
RG Whittaker
RT Barbre

Robert Ferguson
Taco Wallace

Tyrone Davis

DeMond Parker
Vonta Leach

Brian Brohm

T. J. Rubley, hands down.

Gunakor
01-22-2010, 12:11 AM
Here's the offense:

LT Darryn Colledge
LG Adrian Klemm
RG Whittaker
RT Barbre

Robert Ferguson
Taco Wallace

Tyrone Davis

DeMond Parker
Vonta Leach

Brian Brohm

T. J. Rubley, hands down.

Rubley's 5 minutes of fame came in the mid 90's, so he wouldn't qualify for this team.

Tony Oday
01-22-2010, 01:06 AM
Snake's Take:

QB is easy because Rodgers only has 2 years in the decade.
RB - Green was special.
FB - Loved Henderson.
WR - Driver & Walker probably, with Jennings comign in as well.
TE - We really didn't have a great TE, only Bubba, who was average at best.
OL - Clifton, Wahle, Flanagan, Rivera, & Tauscher are pretty easy picks.
DE - I never actually like KJB, but we didn't have anythign else, and Kampy is an easy pick.
DT - Pickett is probably the only good pick. Grady was horrible, and Williams only had one and a half good years. No real talent at DT.
LB - Barnett is an easy pick. I don't care your opinion, cause it's as good as you think Hawk is, many teams would love a guy like Hawk starting for them, but I could go on all day about that. What are our other choices? Paris Lenon? Yeah, lets put him on the all decade team. Diggs was OK, but never great.
CB - Woodson & Harris are easy.
S - Sharper & Collins are easy cause all of our other safeties have been horrible.
K & P - I don't care, they have both been bad.
Coach - as much as I dislike McCarthy, he's better than Sherman was. GM Sherman did kill Coach Sherman, but to say McCarthy doesn't know X's & O's compared to Sherman, you're dreaming. Let me remind you of U-71...we ran ONE GOD DAMN PLAY OUT OF IT....yeah, genius X & O guy.

I am not a stats guy at all but I do remember Grady actually being a stud run stuffer that when he was out our defense went to shit.

sharpe1027
01-22-2010, 12:29 PM
Rubley's 5 minutes of fame came in the mid 90's, so he wouldn't qualify for this team.

Such a stickler for details. How about Danny Wuerffel?

Iron Mike
01-22-2010, 05:56 PM
Robert Ferguson

http://api.ning.com/files/GyWn7K*xYCLEo-kVkTl5GlTWsXElwPksfjd-0VTsgj6YvHzG00fTW9KEWmU-53N8e*KTJSV3GFi7R2njqPckAVpqukTVGzPE/turd5cd2.jpg

Fritz
01-22-2010, 06:27 PM
Torrance Marshall has to win some kind of all-decade award. Really, he does. All-Fucked Up. Craziest Girlfriend. Shittiest Enunciator. Something.

hoosier
01-22-2010, 08:00 PM
Is this the first Friday back at school after winter break, Fritz?

FritzDontBlitz
01-23-2010, 12:07 PM
I can't believe Cullen Jenkins is getting no love in this thread. Better at DT than Corey Williams and capable of being an every down player at DE. KGB was best as a situational pass rusher but never had enough girth to hold the point when Shermy tried to justify the bloated contract by making him a full time starter at the position.

Patler
01-23-2010, 12:34 PM
I can't believe Cullen Jenkins is getting no love in this thread. Better at DT than Corey Williams and capable of being an every down player at DE. KGB was best as a situational pass rusher but never had enough girth to hold the point when Shermy tried to justify the bloated contract by making him a full time starter at the position.

I picked Vonnie Holiday over KGB. Does that count? :lol:

KYPack
01-23-2010, 01:39 PM
Torrance Marshall has to win some kind of all-decade award. Really, he does. All-Fucked Up. Craziest Girlfriend. Shittiest Enunciator. Something.

I think he's got the "Most Valuable Girlfriend that ever entertained a Forum award" all sewed up.

Man, that shit was fun and funny back in that time.

Fritz
01-23-2010, 06:13 PM
Is this the first Friday back at school after winter break, Fritz?

Yes, it was. And Ky's right. That girlfriend - if she really was a girl and T's girlfriend - was some wild and crazy shit back on the old site. She was like the Tank squared of females.

SnakeLH2006
01-24-2010, 02:03 AM

LOL

Sherman also went 9-7 and and 4-12. Guess we didn't go 10-6 and 12-4 yearly. Strike 1.

Strike 2.

Strike 3. Yer out.

Math is not your friend.

Acidity of douche to posts are not your friend, Ty.

Tyrone Bigguns
01-24-2010, 02:44 AM

LOL

Strike 2.

Strike 3. Yer out.

Math is not your friend.

Acidity of douche to posts are not your friend, Ty.

Translation:

Gotta deflect as Ty just schooled me.

mraynrand
01-24-2010, 11:40 AM
Sherman has won twice as many playoff games as Stubby! :) Gotta hope that record improves - like next year, OK? You hear me Stubby?