PDA

View Full Version : THINGS/STATS you DO NOT want to SEE next year on the PACK

Bretsky
01-17-2010, 09:16 AM
Kind of an airing of laundry....your wishlist. I'll start with a few

1. I don't want to see us being the youngest team in the NFL. Enough already. We've rebuilt the foundation now and we don't need to go through the annual add 8-10 newbies onto the roster for future consideration. Let's have a good draft and add a veteran or two in the areas we've been exposed in during our losses. Take a lesson from the Saints

2. Slocum as our special teams coach. I think it's unlikely he gets let go but it's just a wish. I really didn't see anything that led me to believe he should have received this job in the first place and our ST were consistently disappointing. He has a very talented K in Crosby and Kapinos, who is limited in talent, does not seem to be improving.

3. Green Bay leading the NFL in number of penalites. This year we led the league in penalties and we were 2nd in yardage. Last year we led in yardage and we were 2nd in penalites. I don't know what we have to do to fix this.............but so far it's not working

Farley Face
01-17-2010, 09:26 AM
4. Jarrett Bush in the defensive backfield in any capacity.

Fosco33
01-17-2010, 09:39 AM
While the Pack made a much better show the 2nd half of the year, the number of sacks taken was probably the single biggest contributor to losses.

I'm worried about our tackles. Clifton may walk and Tausch has a lot of mileage. When they were out, Pack suffered big time.

Joemailman
Daryn Colledge - Tired of the pressure he allows. Put T.J. Lang there and pound the ball with 2 320+ pound guards.

Drops - Driver and Jones need to catch the ball more consistently.

DeSwawn Wynn - Time to end this experiment and find a legitimate change of pace back.

Jordy Nelson returning kicks - Need to find a legitimate returner in the draft. Look what Harvin did for the Vikings.

Home losses - Packers were 6-2 at home this year. Not bad, but not dominant. Vikings won the division and a playoff bye because they were able to come into Lambeau and win. Disgraceful!

Fosco33
3 fullbacks and no kick returner

Bretsky
01-17-2010, 09:41 AM

I held off on that one but would agree.

The problem is........at end of year I think we had several players just like Bush playing.

D Martin, Bush, Bell....all #6 guys

I'm not so sure Blackmond is much better

Fosco33
01-17-2010, 09:46 AM
+1 on Punting....

Kapinos was the worst in the league for 2 key punting stats - Net Average and Inside 20. Yes - they are tied together. But the ability to gain those 'hidden yards' and put a team near their own goalline is powerful.

I missed Jon Ryan (and even Frost).

Smidgeon
01-17-2010, 10:14 AM
1. I don't want to see us being the youngest team in the NFL. Enough already. We've rebuilt the foundation now and we don't need to go through the annual add 8-10 newbies onto the roster for future consideration. Let's have a good draft and add a veteran or two in the areas we've been exposed in during our losses. Take a lesson from the Saints

Personally, I think the age thing is kind of irrelevant. Fewer and fewer rookies are starting by design (instead they end up starting due to injury), and the core of the team is getting older and more experienced. I would be very surprised if the average age of the Packer's starters was anywhere close to the youngest team with Woodson, Harris, Tauscher, Driver, Clifton, etc. I would guess middle of the pack, and that's where I think a team should be.

Tony Oday
01-17-2010, 10:16 AM
1. Crosby misses....GET OUT OF YOUR HEAD KID YOU HAVE THE LEG!

2. Bitching about NOT signing that "one" guy in FA

3. DD droping the damn ball :( I love you man!

4. Finley getting hurt in the preseason

Fritz
01-17-2010, 10:17 AM
I don't care about the age so much as I do that the special teams becomes consistently competent, including kicker and punter. I think to do that, though, might require a change in coaches. Slocum's end of year press thing was not a confidence builder for me. So special teams performance, first.

Second, the offensive line. If they play like they did in the second half, okay. But it's got to be like that for more than the second half of the season.

Third, penalties. Arrghh! Enough of that crap already!

red
01-17-2010, 10:37 AM
1. jarrett bush

2. slocum. man is a fool for not wanting crosby to go to a kicking dr. absolutely ridiculous

3. no more keeping guys just because they are special teams aces

4. jarrett bush

5. keep less then 3 fb's. only 1 white one should be allowed. quinn is a keeper, he's a beast in the run game. pick one of the other 2 to dump. we put pat lee on ir when he wasn't hurt in october. yet we keep 3 fb's. lee might have been useful in keeping bush off the field

6. i want capers to not turn into a pussy at times during the year and abandon the blitz completely. we are a much much better team when we blitz. its night and day difference

7. jarrett bush

i also don't want us to be the youngest team anymore, but i think we will be. there's a good chance that kampman and clifton won't be back next year. they will be replaced by rookies

8. slocum

9. we need a real backup kick returner

10. more discipline. too many stupid mistakes this year and way too many dumb penalties, dropped balls and blown assignments. MM needs to crack the whip and hold players accountable for mistakes

11. ore balance on first down. we throw way too many times on first down. and second for that matter

12. no more bush

13. teach a-rod get out of the pocket once he scans the field and sees nothing. have him count to 2, then get out of the pocket. if there still isn't anything, and he can't take off running- teach him to throw the ball out of bounds

14. MM needs to get his guys ready to play every week and at the beginning of the season

Patler
01-17-2010, 10:50 AM
James Campen.

His lines have been ill-prepared to start every season. It takes to the middle of each season for the line to become merely competent. I have not seen a single young player develop under his tutelage. They merely are what they were when they arrived. Colledge, Spitz, Moll, Barbre, Coston - no discernible development as players. I want someone who can develop Sitton, Lang, Dietrich-Smith. Maybe its not too late even to get something more out of Colledge, Spitz or Barbre.. I just don't think Campen will.

Lurker64
01-17-2010, 10:52 AM

I would be okay with him in the defensive backfield in garbage time situations, or in umbrella coverage (8 defensive backs), provided he's cheap and plays well on special teams.

denverYooper
01-17-2010, 10:56 AM
Lee or Harrell on IR.

We could really use at least one of these guys to pan out. Either would be a bonus at this point as no one really expects them to make it on the field.

denverYooper
01-17-2010, 11:21 AM
James Campen.

His lines have been ill-prepared to start every season. It takes to the middle of each season for the line to become merely competent. I have not seen a single young player develop under his tutelage. They merely are what they were when they arrived. Colledge, Spitz, Moll, Barbre, Coston - no discernible development as players. I want someone who can develop Sitton, Lang, Dietrich-Smith. Maybe its not too late even to get something more out of Colledge, Spitz or Barbre.. I just don't think Campen will.

What is up with Joe Philbin? He was an O-line coach for 20 years before taking over his (unclear) OC duties. Is he a bad O-line coach also or does he not involve himself any more with that group?

Patler
01-17-2010, 11:25 AM
What is up with Joe Philbin? He was an O-line coach for 20 years before taking over his (unclear) OC duties. Is he a bad O-line coach also or does he not involve himself any more with that group?

It's up to the position coaches to work with their groups on techniques, individual performances, etc. I doubt Philbin spends any more time with the line than he does with the receivers or backs at this point.

Joemailman
01-17-2010, 11:32 AM
There were 2 decisions regarding the OL made before the season that had major consequences once the season began. The first was the anointing of Barbre as the starting RT, and the decision to stick with him. The other was the decision to have Tony Moll take the snaps as 2nd team LT, which left the team vulnerable to a Clifton injury once Moll was traded. Who was responsible? McCarthy? Campen? Philbin? Thompson? A combination of the preceding? One thing I don't want to see next year is an offensive line in disarray at the start of the season. It likely cost us the NFC North this year.

The Leaper
01-17-2010, 06:40 PM
The addition of Capers really turned the defense around. It has become abundantly clear that other areas of McCarthy's staff need the same serious shakeup...many have already been mentioned.

Stock needs to go. Campen needs to go. McCarthy needs to realize the lack of development in these areas and go out and find capable coaches that can IMPROVE the roster.

Bretsky
01-17-2010, 06:45 PM
The addition of Capers really turned the defense around. It has become abundantly clear that other areas of McCarthy's staff need the same serious shakeup...many have already been mentioned.

Stock needs to go. Campen needs to go. McCarthy needs to realize the lack of development in these areas and go out and find capable coaches that can IMPROVE the roster.

who is Stock ?

The Leaper
01-17-2010, 06:52 PM
Sorry...Slocum.

There have been so many piss poor coaches involved with special teams recently, they are all melding together in my mind.

Administrator
01-17-2010, 06:53 PM

that's a nasty flashback. stock retired last year, but slocum isn't any better... :wink:

Maxie the Taxi
01-17-2010, 07:21 PM
The Pack must win the Central Division next year. To do that, they're gonna have to learn how to beat Favre, which means they're gonna have to import some more passing rushing talent. Either that or they're gonna have to buy Dom Capers a tighter jock strap.

MJZiggy
01-17-2010, 07:32 PM
Unless Favre retires again.

Maxie the Taxi
01-17-2010, 07:34 PM
Unless Favre retires again.

And then unretires again.

pbmax
01-17-2010, 07:49 PM
The coverage will get tighter with another year to learn from their own mistakes on film. Plus there will be one or two new DBs on the roster next year. Bretsky will be hoping for vets, but the only guarantee is turnover.

And they will need some extra pash rush from somewhere. If they get both, they will be dangerous.

MJZiggy
01-17-2010, 07:54 PM
The coverage will get tighter with another year to learn from their own mistakes on film. Plus there will be one or two new DBs on the roster next year. Bretsky will be hoping for vets, but the only guarantee is turnover.

And they will need some extra pash rush from somewhere. If they get both, they will be more dangerous.

Fixed.

Maxie the Taxi
01-17-2010, 08:03 PM

And they will need some extra pash rush from somewhere. If they get both, they will be dangerous.

To make that happen they are going to have to get rid of some of the perennial problem guys...like Blackmon (Too fragile) and Bush (Too undependable). Plus make up their minds on guys like Underwood and Lee. (These guys have to produce or be gone.) Plus, they have to thin out the guys they picked up during the season as band-aids: Bell, Martin and Giordano.

As far as the pass rush, they've got to get rid of in-betweeners (guys who are half-linemen and half-LB): Montgomery, Wynn, Kampman, Poppinga, Thompson.

I think a lot of these personnel problems result from the switchover to the 3-4. We still got some guys that just don't fit in.

KYPack
01-17-2010, 08:07 PM
Sorry...Slocum.

There have been so many piss poor coaches involved with special teams recently, they are all melding together in my mind.

It's OK Leap.

Slocum = Stock 2.0

Joemailman
01-17-2010, 08:22 PM
Thought this was an interesting take on Kampman:

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20100116/PKR01/100116043/1058/PKR01/Grading-the-defense--Woodson--Jolly--Matthews-shine

Aaron Kampman: Showed the same pass-rush ability in his first season as a converted defensive end, finishing second on the team with 28 quarterback hits despite playing in only nine games before he blew out his left knee. Didn’t handle the coverage aspect of playing the position that well, although he gave up only three completions (and one touchdown) on nine passes thrown his way. Probably remains a better fit as a 4-3 end but his injury complicates his future as an unrestricted free agent.

Grade: C-plus

The article says Kampman didn't handle coverage well, yet he only gave up 3 completions. Could it be that Kampman gets the job done, but just doesn't look very good doing it? Or could it be that because some people predicted Kampman would struggle in coverage that they're sticking with it? I just think maybe the whole "Kampman Struggled" thing was overblown, and would like to see him come back and see if he can be better next year.

MJZiggy
01-17-2010, 08:27 PM
Perhaps also was the notion floating around at the beginning of the season that he didn't want to be playing 3-4 so people figured he wouldn't be good at it.

esoxx
01-17-2010, 08:57 PM
The Pack must win the Central Division next year.

No way do they do this. Impossible.

Joemailman
01-17-2010, 08:59 PM

Why?

Administrator
01-17-2010, 09:00 PM

Why?

Because it's now called the "NFC North", I think. There is no NFC Central anymore.

That'd be my guess.

esoxx
01-17-2010, 09:01 PM
You are correct sir.

Joemailman
01-17-2010, 09:02 PM
Got it!

Administrator
01-17-2010, 09:03 PM
Got it!

happy I could help. :wink:

MichiganPackerFan
01-19-2010, 01:33 PM
I think most of its been covered, discipline in penalties, excessive youth, Bush, etc. Most of all, I don't want the team sitting at home again when the SuperBowl is played in February 2011...

Freak Out
01-19-2010, 02:07 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing us make a run at LT if the Chargers let him walk.

MichiganPackerFan
01-19-2010, 02:42 PM
Maybe we can get rid of Jarrett Bush to the Cowboys for a draft pick. I'm sure if we give them a third rounder, they'll take him! :D

(and yes, I will be posting this over and over!!!)

Smidgeon
01-19-2010, 03:20 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing us make a run at LT if the Chargers let him walk.

That is if he can still walk. He's an injury waiting to happen.

MadScientist
01-19-2010, 04:26 PM
Besides Campen, one thing I really really don't want to see next season is one single solitary line in any article, or post here, mentioning 'he who should not be named'.

arcilite
01-19-2010, 05:50 PM
KAPINOS

Fritz
01-19-2010, 05:53 PM
Maybe we can get rid of Jarrett Bush to the Cowboys for a draft pick. I'm sure if we give them a third rounder, they'll take him! :D

This is the same team that gave up a first a third and a fifth for the receiver Roy Williams....

I bet the Pack could get a fourth for Bush from the 'Boys.

Some good posts here about some possible misfits on this defense. To my way of thinking, you bring some of the names mentioned - like J. Thompson - back to training camp (why not? He's under contract) and let them compete. But no more waiting around. The guy has had time to develop. If he doesn't get it done, he's gone. Same with Harrell. Same with Bush.

Underwood is only going to be a second year guy, so he gets a bit of slack. And Lee has never really seen the field, but I think he ought to be on a fairly short leash, though you don't want to give away a talented corner you've invested two years in unless you're damn sure he's not going to make it.

hurleyfan
01-19-2010, 06:15 PM
[quote=MichiganPackerFan] And Lee has never really seen the field, but I think he ought to be on a fairly short leash, though you don't want to give away a talented corner you've invested two years in unless you're damn sure he's not going to make it.

I imagine they wish Lee was never put on IR.. couldn't be much worse than Bush, or who the F gave up the winning TD to Pittsburgh?? needed to play in front of Wallace as the defense called had help on top / behind...

GBRulz
01-19-2010, 09:46 PM
I don't want to see Aaron taking so many sacks next year. While much blame can be put on the OL, he also needs to just get rid of the damn ball sooner. I'm glad to see this is something we vastly improved on in the 2nd half of the season, but it's still an area that needs work.

I also want to see Slocum out the door.

Last, I want TT to open up the checkbook for FA's. Guys like Driver, Harris and Woodson only have a 1-2 year window left, let's try to be a bit more aggressive in FA this year and fill a hole or two with an immediate impact...not a rookie that might develop in 3-4 years.

Cheesehead Craig
01-19-2010, 09:58 PM
1. jarrett bush

2. slocum. man is a fool for not wanting crosby to go to a kicking dr. absolutely ridiculous

3. no more keeping guys just because they are special teams aces

4. jarrett bush

5. keep less then 3 fb's. only 1 white one should be allowed. quinn is a keeper, he's a beast in the run game. pick one of the other 2 to dump. we put pat lee on ir when he wasn't hurt in october. yet we keep 3 fb's. lee might have been useful in keeping bush off the field

6. i want capers to not turn into a pussy at times during the year and abandon the blitz completely. we are a much much better team when we blitz. its night and day difference

7. jarrett bush

i also don't want us to be the youngest team anymore, but i think we will be. there's a good chance that kampman and clifton won't be back next year. they will be replaced by rookies

8. slocum

9. we need a real backup kick returner

10. more discipline. too many stupid mistakes this year and way too many dumb penalties, dropped balls and blown assignments. MM needs to crack the whip and hold players accountable for mistakes

11. ore balance on first down. we throw way too many times on first down. and second for that matter

12. no more bush

13. teach a-rod get out of the pocket once he scans the field and sees nothing. have him count to 2, then get out of the pocket. if there still isn't anything, and he can't take off running- teach him to throw the ball out of bounds

14. MM needs to get his guys ready to play every week and at the beginning of the season

Great list, but I'd add that we get rid of Jarrett Bush

MJZiggy
01-19-2010, 10:06 PM
I don't want to see the kickoff and punt coverage statistics. I'm tired of giving up those chunks of field position.

MichiganPackerFan
01-20-2010, 07:53 AM

This is the same team that gave up a first a third and a fifth for the receiver Roy Williams....

I bet the Pack could get a fourth for Bush from the 'Boys.

Some good posts here about some possible misfits on this defense. To my way of thinking, you bring some of the names mentioned - like J. Thompson - back to training camp (why not? He's under contract) and let them compete. But no more waiting around. The guy has had time to develop. If he doesn't get it done, he's gone. Same with Harrell. Same with Bush.

Underwood is only going to be a second year guy, so he gets a bit of slack. And Lee has never really seen the field, but I think he ought to be on a fairly short leash, though you don't want to give away a talented corner you've invested two years in unless you're damn sure he's not going to make it.

I think my point was missed. Highlighted for emphasis.

Smidgeon
01-20-2010, 12:09 PM
I don't want to see Aaron taking so many sacks next year. While much blame can be put on the OL, he also needs to just get rid of the damn ball sooner. I'm glad to see this is something we vastly improved on in the 2nd half of the season, but it's still an area that needs work.

Last, I want TT to open up the checkbook for FA's. Guys like Driver, Harris and Woodson only have a 1-2 year window left, let's try to be a bit more aggressive in FA this year and fill a hole or two with an immediate impact...not a rookie that might develop in 3-4 years.

Immediate impact? Like whom?

mission
01-20-2010, 12:28 PM

Good ol' Arrigo is up to his rumors again:
http://joeslockerroom.wordpress.com

Names like Merriman, Cromartie and Joey Porter have "popped up"

Fun to speculate, hard to get too excited.

Smidgeon
01-20-2010, 12:41 PM

Good ol' Arrigo is up to his rumors again:
http://joeslockerroom.wordpress.com

Names like Merriman, Cromartie and Joey Porter have "popped up"

Fun to speculate, hard to get too excited.

My favorite parts:

"The Packers are one of the more aggressive teams in terms of their draft board. So while other teams are just starting theirs, the Packers are already in full-blown draft meetings and the board is nearly complete." No wonder GB seems to do well in the draft as of late.

"The Packers and Mark Tauscher have talked about a deal to play in 2010 and to become an assistant coach after. Tauscher is very open to that and is considering it." Good news if it's true, but can we get Tausch to retire early and replace Campen this season? He couldn't be any worse...

Obviously this stuff is just rumor. Any of it ring true to anyone?