PDA

View Full Version : Worst playoffs ever?

channtheman
01-17-2010, 02:42 PM
Do any of you older rats remember a season where the playoffs were filled with this many blowouts? Aside from the Packer game none of the games have really been close at all. And if you like to watch any defense at all, you probably didn't really enjoy the Packer game that much. Seriously, has there been a season where there were this many blowouts in the playoffs?

mission
01-17-2010, 02:44 PM
its been a horrible weekend of football that's for sure

Joemailman
01-17-2010, 02:48 PM
I was thinking the same thing. The only good game was the one the Packers lost. :evil:

channtheman
01-17-2010, 02:48 PM
I was thinking the same thing. The only good game was the one the Packers lost. :evil:

And I've even heard some people say that it wasn't defensive enough for their tastes (which I totally understand).

MOBB DEEP
01-17-2010, 04:59 PM
Defense is passe in nfl

scoring brings in casual fan even if blowouts i think

mmmdk
01-17-2010, 05:05 PM
Worst playoffs in ages!

Saints vs Vikings = should be close.

Colts vs Jets = Colts win big

Colts vs Bolts = close game for sure

TennesseePackerBacker
01-17-2010, 09:35 PM
Worst playoffs so far. I think we're about to get to the meat of it with the CCG's and the Superbowl. Like you mentioned, I love to see a good defensive game so maybe that just gives me a slanted view. Sadly, with all these new rule changes, I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't the new "norm."

MOBB DEEP
01-17-2010, 09:48 PM
i like the compelling story lines thus far

channtheman
01-17-2010, 11:03 PM
Worst playoffs so far. I think we're about to get to the meat of it with the CCG's and the Superbowl. Like you mentioned, I love to see a good defensive game so maybe that just gives me a slanted view. Sadly, with all these new rule changes, I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't the new "norm."

I'm thinkin that the Saints/Vikes game could be a pretty good one. While I think it would be hilarious for the Jets to now go and beat the Colts, I don't know if that has much of a chance of happening. I'd love for the Jets to beat the Colts. We'll see.

denverYooper
01-17-2010, 11:13 PM
Yeah, the Jets are keeping it entertaining.

Merlin
01-18-2010, 08:42 AM
I think the AFC teams have over looked the Jets. They do have a pretty good defense and they CAN run the ball. If they keep Sanchez under 20 attempts then they will win ball games. He will make a play or two and if your defense is playing well, that's all it takes, just ask San Diego and Cincinnati.

I think the Jets are making the playoffs interesting to watch. The NFC, the Cardinals were over-rated, the Eagles were over-rated, the Cowboys were a shock to only put up 3 points. The Packers were probably the most under-rated team coming in and half the team (defense) lived up to that expectation while the other half (offense) well exceeded expectations. The Vikings were supposed to be one and done but my thoughts were as long as they were in the baggy dome, they wouldn't be beat this year. New Orleans and Minnesota is an interesting match up. New Orleans has been blown out at home (Cowboys) and Minnesota is 4-4 on the road, getting blown out a few times themselves. It only see a close game in a shootout, I don't see both defenses rising to the occasion, it will be one or the other. So it will either come down to a 52-50 game or a blowout by one of them with a dominating defensive output, at least that's what this season is telling me.

denverYooper
01-18-2010, 12:15 PM
I think the AFC teams have over looked the Jets. They do have a pretty good defense and they CAN run the ball. If they keep Sanchez under 20 attempts then they will win ball games. He will make a play or two and if your defense is playing well, that's all it takes, just ask San Diego and Cincinnati.

I think the Jets are making the playoffs interesting to watch. The NFC, the Cardinals were over-rated, the Eagles were over-rated, the Cowboys were a shock to only put up 3 points. The Packers were probably the most under-rated team coming in and half the team (defense) lived up to that expectation while the other half (offense) well exceeded expectations. The Vikings were supposed to be one and done but my thoughts were as long as they were in the baggy dome, they wouldn't be beat this year. New Orleans and Minnesota is an interesting match up. New Orleans has been blown out at home (Cowboys) and Minnesota is 4-4 on the road, getting blown out a few times themselves. It only see a close game in a shootout, I don't see both defenses rising to the occasion, it will be one or the other. So it will either come down to a 52-50 game or a blowout by one of them with a dominating defensive output, at least that's what this season is telling me.

I'm hoping for a shootout myself in the NFCCG. Even though I really appreciate how the Jets play.

The thing that is intriguing about the Jets is that they have such a good pass D. Sure, they played well against the run, but they can pressure the QB and they can cover well. I didn't really realize it until I actually watched them play a passing team last night. I mean, I thought they beat the Bengals because the Bengals played a similar grind-it-out + play D style but last night was a surprise to me in how well they played against a passing team.

Still, though, you can see how tenuous their approach is -- they lived off of those missed field goals last night -- but it's working so far. My sense is that they'll have less success against Manning but I thought San Diego would kill 'em, so what do I know?

Freak Out
01-18-2010, 12:40 PM
Ever since the Colts mailed it in the Jets have had some serious mojo working. I would not be surprised at all if the Jets come out on top of the Colts in the AFC. The defense is playing tough as nails and the offense is going to work the run all game long. Should be a good one.

The NFC game should be a wild one...the edge has to be with the home team but who knows with all the firepower the Queens have on offense...could go either way. I was surprised at how well the Saints handled the Cards though.....

Joemailman
01-18-2010, 12:49 PM
Saints/Vikings may come down to who can protect their quarterback.

Colts could definitely lose. Revis had the ability to take Reggie Wayne out of the game, and Peyton doesn't have the multiple weapons he used to have.

MOBB DEEP
01-18-2010, 03:53 PM
minny v jets would be nuts!

I agree about the protection Joe

btw, why is Rex Ryan ALWAYS tryna be a card???

pipe down

TennesseePackerBacker
01-18-2010, 04:24 PM
Ever since the Colts mailed it in the Jets have had some serious mojo working. I would not be surprised at all if the Jets come out on top of the Colts in the AFC. The defense is playing tough as nails and the offense is going to work the run all game long. Should be a good one.

The NFC game should be a wild one...the edge has to be with the home team but who knows with all the firepower the Queens have on offense...could go either way. I was surprised at how well the Saints handled the Cards though.....

I have a couple of betting maxims, kind of like Bill Simmons(ESPN's the Sports Guy) or Nick the Greek Dandolos. Some change from year to year depending on player/team trends and the like. Some never change. One that I've implimented during the last couple of years(and with success) is this:

Never bet against Peyton. This doesn't mean I bet the Colts every week or when they are mailing it in at the end of the year. I just don't bet against the Colts as long as Peyton is the QB.

The early line is -7 and looks to be moving up. I haven't decided which way I'm leaning yet but I could see the Colts winning by 10+. Don't know if I'll even lay a finger on it honestly.

What I do know, or think, is that the Colts will win because of Peyton. Of course we all know football can't be predicted with a high percentage of accuracy, especially when it's the playoffs. Turnovers happen, penalties happen, and that weird oblong ball happens. However, if there is one quarterback I want with the ball and 2 minutes left it is Peyton Manning(say Joe Montana).

disclaimer: Yea I know, I'm a TN fan and even as I type this my mind screams "homer!", but I am a Packer fan when it comes to all things NFL and if Peyton Manning threw 5 picks against the Jets it wouldn't really bother me.

sheepshead
01-18-2010, 05:50 PM

How do you "rate" an NFL team? I'm not following this at all. Plus, even though the score didnt show it, the cowboys hung in with the vikings, moving the chains, getting in the red zone etc. I saw lots of good defense this weekend. Jet D, Vikings D. Cowboys shut Peterson down which Im sure they wanted to do...

and how do you "overlook" anyone in the playoffs..exactly? They dont watch film on them? Not look ahead? or do look ahead and "overlook" them?

How does that work?

packerbacker1234
01-18-2010, 10:22 PM

Colts could definitely lose. Revis had the ability to take Reggie Wayne out of the game, and Peyton doesn't have the multiple weapons he used to have.

Still has Dallas Clark. Still Has Reggie Wayne. Only guy missing from the previous years in Marvin Harrison, who was over the hill at the colts #4 WR was most likely better then.

He has plenty of weapons, including weapon #1:

THe best pass defending OL in the league.... yet again.

packerbacker1234
01-18-2010, 10:24 PM

How do you "rate" an NFL team? I'm not following this at all. Plus, even though the score didnt show it, the cowboys hung in with the vikings, moving the chains, getting in the red zone etc. I

Did you watch the same game? The cowboys hung with them in the 1st quarter. After that it was over. They had three drives in the first quarter where they moved the ball and came away with 3 points. After that, the game was done. Offense was shut down.

denverYooper
01-18-2010, 10:24 PM

Still has Dallas Clark. Still Has Reggie Wayne. Only guy missing from the previous years in Marvin Harrison, who was over the hill at the colts #4 WR was most likely better then.

He has plenty of weapons, including weapon #1:

THe best pass defending OL in the league.... yet again.

Word. Saturday is a potential HOFer.

Harlan Huckleby
01-18-2010, 10:30 PM
The playoffs have sucked serious ass. It started out with lousy wildcard games (other than the Packer game which ended lousy.) At least the crappy teams were weeded out, surely the great play would come last weekend in the quarter finals. No. It was even worse.

Worst playoffs ever.

The Superbowl is in New Orleans this year, and it happens next weekend.

Gunakor
01-19-2010, 01:28 AM
Do any of you older rats remember a season where the playoffs were filled with this many blowouts? Aside from the Packer game none of the games have really been close at all. And if you like to watch any defense at all, you probably didn't really enjoy the Packer game that much. Seriously, has there been a season where there were this many blowouts in the playoffs?

I know the Bears stomped everybody they played back in the '86 playoffs, including a nearly 40 point walloping of New England in the Super Bowl that year. But I can't remember if or how many of the other games in that postseason were so one sided.

MichiganPackerFan
01-19-2010, 02:00 PM
I think having my soul crushed made the playoffs even more dull than they really have been. When does training camp open again?

hurleyfan
01-19-2010, 05:58 PM
Is this the game Favre reverts to the ol' gunslinger style?

Remember the St Louis Rams game... 4 or 5 picks because the Pack had to rev it up, try to keep pace with the high flying Rams.. could be a similar game V. the Saints

Tyrone Bigguns
01-20-2010, 02:08 AM
Is this the game Favre reverts to the ol' gunslinger style?

Remember the St Louis Rams game... 4 or 5 picks because the Pack had to rev it up, try to keep pace with the high flying Rams.. could be a similar game V. the Saints

6 picks..3 for tds.