PDA

View Full Version : Ed Reed to retire?

packers11
01-17-2010, 10:52 PM
www.rotoworld.com

Following Saturday night's loss to the Colts, Ed Reed said he's "50-50" to retire.

Reed had a frustrating season that was marred by hip, neck and groin injuries. "I’ve been thinking about it, and it kind of hit me on the sidelines," he said. "It’s going to be a long offseason. It hurts. I am just thinking about it." The former Defensive Player of the Year is still playing at a high level and we'd be surprised if he actually hangs it up. He's set to make $19.7 million over the next three seasons. Jan. 17 - 8:29 am et

:shock:

I would love to have that guy in our backfield... I hope he doesn't retire, he still is a top 5 safety in the NFL, love watching the Ravens D with him back there...

denverYooper
01-17-2010, 11:15 PM
I heard he wants his release just in case.

Scott Campbell
01-18-2010, 08:29 AM
Think he'll make up his mind before August?

gbgary
01-18-2010, 09:28 AM
sounds like he wants everyone down on their knees begging him to come back.

ICU81MI
01-18-2010, 06:46 PM
Would be a huge loss for the team that consistently is known for their D. He is a spectacular player. I'm a huge Ed fan.

MJZiggy
01-18-2010, 09:17 PM
You and all of Baltimore. I may have to put a friend or two on suicide watch. (there's still one side of the office I'm avoiding since the loss)

ICU81MI
01-18-2010, 09:51 PM
Is he going to be a hall of famer?

packers11
01-18-2010, 10:14 PM
Is he going to be a hall of famer?

a lock IMO...

# 6× Pro Bowl selection (2003, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009)
# 6× All-Pro selection (2003, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009)
# AP NFL Defensive Player of Year (2004)
# Led the NFL in interceptions in 2004 and 2008
# Led the NFL in interception yards in 2004
# NFL's longest interception return (108 yards)
# NFL's interception yards in single-season
# Sporting News' Team of the Decade (2000's)

Stats:

Tackles 459
Sacks 5.0
INTs 46
Defensive Touchdowns 6

:shock: hes REALLLLY GOOOD

MJZiggy
01-18-2010, 10:16 PM
The team is saying they don't think he means it--that he was just frustrated after the loss.

packerbacker1234
01-18-2010, 10:20 PM
As long as Ray Lewis comes back, so will Ed Reed. I get this feeling they will retire together, and it would be fitting given their prominent roles on that team.

MJZiggy
01-18-2010, 10:21 PM
Could be, but I'm also reading that Derrick Mason may retire too.

packerbacker1234
01-18-2010, 10:26 PM
Could be, but I'm also reading that Derrick Mason may retire too.

Derrik Mason retired last year. The team talked him out of it. Can't blame them for talking him out of it...

Afterall, after Mason all they have is Todd Heap. They need to get flacco some WR's and a better line.

MJZiggy
01-18-2010, 10:36 PM
It's reported Heap's in decline and may not be back. Can you say rebuilding?

Tyrone Bigguns
01-19-2010, 01:20 AM
As long as Ray Lewis comes back, so will Ed Reed. I get this feeling they will retire together, and it would be fitting given their prominent roles on that team.

What are you basing that on? Lewis entered the league in 96 whereas Reed in 02.

Reed and Lewis have little in common other than playing on the same team and certainly aren't the same type of people.

packerbacker1234
01-19-2010, 06:01 PM

Reed and Lewis have little in common other than playing on the same team and certainly aren't the same type of people.

If you watch the ravens play, you can clearly see how they play off eachother in that defense, and support eachother. When Reed fumbled on that pick it was Lewis right there to pick him back up. It was lewis adn reed together ont he sidelines when the game was over.

Reed has been getting hurt this year, and doesn't want to be a cripple when he's old, sort of like when Barry Sanders walked away. When Ray retires, I could easily see Reed walking away too. That would put the defense in a rebuilding stage really. The offense, even if Heap retires, has been a rebuilding stage since Ray Lewis showed up. It's never been reliable.

The Leaper
01-19-2010, 10:40 PM
I think Reed will be back...money talks. However, I don't think he has more than 1 or 2 years left in him. Same with Ray. The window for the Ravens is closing fast.

MOBB DEEP
01-20-2010, 12:22 AM
sounds like he wants everyone down on their knees begging him to come back.

he he he.....

MOBB DEEP
01-20-2010, 12:24 AM
Think he'll make up his mind before August?

sophomoric...

too easy SC, u're better than that... :lol:

Tyrone Bigguns
01-20-2010, 01:30 AM

If you watch the ravens play, you can clearly see how they play off eachother in that defense, and support eachother. When Reed fumbled on that pick it was Lewis right there to pick him back up. It was lewis adn reed together ont he sidelines when the game was over.

Reed has been getting hurt this year, and doesn't want to be a cripple when he's old, sort of like when Barry Sanders walked away. When Ray retires, I could easily see Reed walking away too. That would put the defense in a rebuilding stage really. The offense, even if Heap retires, has been a rebuilding stage since Ray Lewis showed up. It's never been reliable.

Yes. They are the leaders of the defense. That doesn't mean Reed can't play with someone else or would have a problem doing so.

If Lewis retired today, the defense, with Reed, would be just fine.

You can see...which is wild speculation at best. With no tangible evidence or reasoning.

packerbacker1234
01-21-2010, 02:52 AM
*cough*, Reed does have tangible reason to retire right now. He has been hurt most the year, and if those sort of injuries keep reoccuring his life after football could be... bad.

Barry Sanders walked away when he was still in good health, no reason Reed wouldn't either. I think if Ray Lewis left, it makes the decision easy because even Reed has to be a realist. The window for the ravens defensively is closing. Each year they are simply not as good as the year before defensively. If everything goes well, there may be 2 or 3 more ok years left in that defense, but Reed at this point mos tlikely is thinking SB or bust, especially if he is getting injury prone.

Obviously, nothing I say can be concrete evidence, nothing any of us can be. We are not Ed Reed, we have no idea what is going through his head. All we know is he cited injuries has a potential reasoning. So... all things put on the table, it isn't the worst decision to walk away now.

Fritz
01-21-2010, 12:20 PM
*cough*, Reed does have tangible reason to retire right now. He has been hurt most the year, and if those sort of injuries keep reoccuring his life after football could be... bad.

Barry Sanders walked away when he was still in good health, no reason Reed wouldn't either. I think if Ray Lewis left, it makes the decision easy because even Reed has to be a realist. The window for the ravens defensively is closing. Each year they are simply not as good as the year before defensively. If everything goes well, there may be 2 or 3 more ok years left in that defense, but Reed at this point mos tlikely is thinking SB or bust, especially if he is getting injury prone.

Obviously, nothing I say can be concrete evidence, nothing any of us can be. We are not Ed Reed, we have no idea what is going through his head. All we know is he cited injuries has a potential reasoning. So... all things put on the table, it isn't the worst decision to walk away now.

If we were Ed Reed, we'd have multiple personality disorder.

Tyrone Bigguns
01-21-2010, 04:50 PM

*cough* learn to read. The tangible evidence was in respect to retiring when lewis did.

If anything, his talk of retiring NOW disproves your whole fanciful speculation about retiring with lewis.

And for sure it proves they aren't as tight as you would make it out or perhaps Lewis just doesn't care..as he hasn't said one thing about retiring if Reed does.

KYPack
01-21-2010, 05:17 PM
Ed Reed is one brilliant player. He makes plays that no other player can make. A pre-snap read on him is absolutely worthless. He will bait a QB (espec a young one) all game, just to set him up for a pick in the late going.

One thing I always look forward to each year is seeing him and Polamalu live in game action. TV doesn't show half of these great players strenghts.

I think he plays one more season. Ed is all muscle and bone. The hits are adding up. He plays with rhythmn, but a guy like him is starting to feel all the career hits. It gets old.

Both of 'em will be in the NFL HOF.