PDA

View Full Version : Kind of OT: Which FA did you want most on packers???

packers11
07-30-2006, 12:55 PM
Please dont flame.... Im just curious, and I know the past is the past and we cannot change who is on the team but its always fun to see what other people wanted for the pack.....
My top 3 going in order were...
T.O
(I know, but a 2 year deal would be fine...) VERY GOOD WR and we need help at the position ASAP.....
Lavar Arrington
(Hawk,Barnett,Arrington) Enough said.....
Steve Hutchinson
Would our line be a strong point as in the past....

How about you guys?? Just curious :lol:

BallHawk
07-30-2006, 01:04 PM
If we aren't considering salary than I'd say Hutchinson. One guy I really liked though was Will Witherspoon. Tackling machine. Keep in mind that was when our LB corps was shaky.

GBRulz
07-30-2006, 01:10 PM
Vin - we need a kicker

Partial
07-30-2006, 01:12 PM
Darren Howard

red
07-30-2006, 01:42 PM
i really wanted lecharles bentley, and was pissed when we didn't get him.

then he went down with a season ending injury in the first practice of the year for the browns

i also wanted hatch and AV, but i really wanted arrington, but i'm glad we lost out on him because we drafted hawk

count me as one of the people that is glad TO is not a packer, he has a load of talent, but he's a ticking time bomb, he has destroyed everyteam he has been on when things didn't go exactly how he wanted them to go. don't think for a second he wouldn't have thrown brett under the tires if brett didn't get him the ball on every play. and if we are building a team with solid young players that have a team first attitude then the last thing you want is a TO on the team for a year or 2 to infect all the younger players the way he did with javon. just IMO

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-30-2006, 01:54 PM
Darren Howard

Yep, him and hutch would of been better pick ups than woodson and pickett IMO.

Harlan Huckleby
07-30-2006, 01:54 PM
Arrington still has a LOT of upside.

Partial
07-30-2006, 01:55 PM
Darren Howard

Yep, him and hutch would of been better pick ups than woodson and pickett IMO.

Getting Howard and Pickett would make the need for Woodson much, much less.

Tarlam!
07-30-2006, 02:05 PM
This is not an OT thread - not even close!

I wanted Arrington, Arrington and Arrington.

I also wanted us to draft Hawk.

I would have traded KGB and balanced Arrington's signing bonus commitment to Washington to alleviate the cap hit(which if I recall was insane).

but, we lack a Reggie White in our D and I think the only guy out there even close just got drafted #1 overall.

Bretsky
07-30-2006, 02:13 PM
David Givens or Randel El would have been nice
Huthchinson was probably the best player in FA
Howard would have been nice.

Money aside, I'd take Hutchinson

But I wanted Weatherspoon the most.

woodbuck27
07-30-2006, 03:53 PM
Jeeee this first one will not surprise y'all:

1. Terrell Owens - BIG Time - an absolute game breaker and if he acted up - Favre would have kicked his ass (in or out of the locker room).

I'll forgive T2, if he acquires a certain WR, that lives way out on the West Coast. Not not for any form of first round pick though. No chance of that happening for this fella drafted in round #2.

That talk - of that WR's team, wanting two first round picks - mean's that WR is (possibly) going to be made an example of , and that is the message for the teams around the NFL , I sense that is the TRUTH.

That WR's team isn't hurting really bad at that position, at the present, and that team is pissed with players that want to showboat and screw around and not be total team guys.

2. Adam Vinatieri ( We had to replace Longwell with a kicker as good outdoors as Ryan was). Ryan Longwell had 10 game winning kicks for us, through 2004 he was solid. Automatic and we don't have that certainly anymore. T2 had to keep Longwell or replace him with Adam Viniatieri or possibly Mike Vanderjagt now in Dallas.

3. Will Witherspoon ( solid experienced and stiill young linebacker ). A rising star.

T2 did what he had to do, to strengthen a weak position on OUR team at LBer. Sign Ben Taylor in FA. He had a nice season in the 3-4 at Cleveland.

Ted Thompson made two solid picks at the position in the 2006 draft. AJ Hawk and Abdul Hodge who also, as well as Hawk, has success written all over him.

Don't be surprised - to see Hodge in the middle and Hawk (Will) and Barnett (Sam) before the season is over.

Willard
07-30-2006, 04:19 PM
Steve Hutchinson
Edge James
LaVar Arrington
Adam V

A little O
A little D
A little ST

OS PA
07-30-2006, 04:33 PM
Ryan Longwell - We had a solid kicker in him, and could have gotten him for a relatively cheap price.
Nate Clements - We had enough cap space to outbid Buffalo, and could have given him a contract this year he would have been happy with.
TO - Why not throw him a huge one year contract with an optional 2nd, and 3rd year?
Larry Allen - One of the best guards in history, I know he wouldn't have fit our scheme, but hell we'd be able to run again.

Partial
07-30-2006, 04:51 PM
Steve Hutchinson
Edge James
LaVar Arrington
Adam V

Would have cost too much

MJZiggy
07-30-2006, 06:54 PM
I gotta agree with Adam. I SO thought it was gonna happen, then he dissed us. We've been used. I feel like I need a shower.

Partial
07-30-2006, 06:57 PM
Ryan Longwell - We had a solid kicker in him, and could have gotten him for a relatively cheap price.
Nate Clements - We had enough cap space to outbid Buffalo, and could have given him a contract this year he would have been happy with.
TO - Why not throw him a huge one year contract with an optional 2nd, and 3rd year?
Larry Allen - One of the best guards in history, I know he wouldn't have fit our scheme, but hell we'd be able to run again.

Clements would have cost us a first round pick, though. TT wouldn't have let that happen

packers11
07-30-2006, 07:40 PM
very interesting... thanks for the replies... Its good to know I was not the only packer fan thinking of these other players...... :cool:

Rastak
07-30-2006, 07:43 PM
Steve Hutchinson
Edge James
LaVar Arrington
Adam V

Would have cost too much

I bet TT could have pulled that off....given the cash available.
That would have dried up the cap for sure though.

HarveyWallbangers
07-30-2006, 07:59 PM
Hutchinson and James got ridiculous money in the first year. Those two alone would have dried up the cap space.

Rastak
07-30-2006, 08:03 PM
Hutchinson and James got ridiculous money in the first year. Those two alone would have dried up the cap space.

True, but maybe you could do something clever with James's contract and Vinatari wouldn't have broken the bank...anyway, it's a moot point because that isn't Ted's way of doing things.

Willard
07-30-2006, 08:43 PM
Steve Hutchinson
Edge James
LaVar Arrington
Adam V

Would have cost too much

I bet TT could have pulled that off....given the cash available.
That would have dried up the cap for sure though.

I was just dreaming. I didn't know I was supposed to show any financial restraint!! :roll:

Partial
07-30-2006, 08:45 PM
i'm kind of glad he didn't sign the guys now. I'd rather be builds a core and spends the money to put us over the top when that time comes.

Willard
07-30-2006, 08:50 PM
i'm kind of glad he didn't sign the guys now. I'd rather be builds a core and spends the money to put us over the top when that time comes.

You may be right. Paying top $ to get 4 of the top 10 FAs available would have hurt down the road. It would basically be saying, "were giving Favre one more shot". If we win it all I'm happy, but anything short of a SB41 victory would be very depressing when its time to start writing the checks. It would have been nice to get one more offesnsive weapon though!

MJZiggy
07-30-2006, 08:56 PM
Offseason's not over and M3 said on Thursday (once again) that player acquisition is a 12-month-a-year job. Maybe some other GM will have a brain fart and cut a quality player because they don't get along.

Partial
07-30-2006, 09:01 PM
You may be right. Paying top $ to get 4 of the top 10 FAs available would have hurt down the road. It would basically be saying, "were giving Favre one more shot". If we win it all I'm happy, but anything short of a SB41 victory would be very depressing when its time to start writing the checks. It would have been nice to get one more offesnsive weapon though!

I think our offense is going to surprise some people. We've got a few guys with a chip of there shoulder and last year just went under due to the extremely low morale. I think we'll be a pretty good offensive team.

PackerPro42
07-30-2006, 09:05 PM
1. T.O.
2. Arrington
3.Alexander/James

the_idle_threat
07-30-2006, 11:13 PM

I agree with this point. I know we're all homers here, but in reality, this team is not 2 or 3 players away from the SB. We need to build a base first, and I'm happy with the way TT is doing that via the draft. If anything, I'm a bit disappointed that we sprung for Charles Woodson.

OS PA
07-31-2006, 05:19 AM

Clements would have cost us a first round pick, though. TT wouldn't have let that happen

Eww, forgot about that first round pick. Maybe ship them Walker instead ^.0. Thanks for reminding me about that little doozy.

Instead of Clements then one of the Postons clients would have me happy. We got Woodson, and i'm happy with him I guess. Law would have been good for a year, Arrington would have been great.

Rastak
07-31-2006, 06:01 AM

Eww, forgot about that first round pick. Maybe ship them Walker instead ^.0. Thanks for reminding me about that little doozy.

Instead of Clements then one of the Postons clients would have me happy. We got Woodson, and i'm happy with him I guess. Law would have been good for a year, Arrington would have been great.

I'm not an Arrington guy but Law would have been solid as hell.