PDA

View Full Version : O'Brien Schofield

Joemailman
01-20-2010, 05:21 PM
I've seen this guy rated anywhere from a 2nd Round value to a 7th Round value. I suspect those who do not rate him highly feel he is too small to play DE in a 4-3, and too slow to play OLB. He would seem to be a guy the Packers might be interested if he were available after the 2nd Round.

Just wondering what those of you familiar with Badger football think of the guy.

Tyrone Bigguns
01-20-2010, 05:32 PM
I've seen this guy rated anywhere from a 2nd Round value to a 7th Round value. I suspect those who do not rate him highly feel he is too small to play DE in a 4-3, and too slow to play OLB. He would seem to be a guy the Packers might be interested if he were available after the 2nd Round.

Just wondering what those of you familiar with Badger football think of the guy.

He is already practicing at OLB at the Shrine game.

He isn't too slow to play OLB..it is more the Kampy thing. Lateral movement, stiffness, learning to play the position...he has already been noted for bad angles, etc.

The league is moving to 3-4 and that helps him as more guys needed like him. He is by far way to small to play in a 4-3..and adding weight is going to sap of his one great strength..speed and quickness.

He is the classic Wisco tweener...meet Tom Burke, meet Tarek Saleh, meet OB.

The Leaper
01-20-2010, 06:07 PM
To me, he's a good guy to take a flyer on...maybe 6th round? Anything before the 5th would be a huge reach IMO. The kid has a lot of learning to do to be successful at the next level. However, as a special team player who could serve some purpose as a situational pass rusher down the road, he's draftable.

Fosco33
01-20-2010, 06:45 PM
Bobby Engram and Vonnie Holiday's cousin =

bring him in!

I'm a Badger homer but he seems like he's got the work ethic and athleticism to be a decent OLB/ST option. He's pretty quick (mid 4.0's) and gets to the ball (2nd in NCAA in TFL).

It also looks like some other quality drafters (Patriots) are looking at him in the shrine game.

But as with many other great Badgers, he won't be drafted by GB... I hope he does well in the NFL.

Tyrone Bigguns
01-20-2010, 06:56 PM
To me, he's a good guy to take a flyer on...maybe 6th round? Anything before the 5th would be a huge reach IMO. The kid has a lot of learning to do to be successful at the next level. However, as a special team player who could serve some purpose as a situational pass rusher down the road, he's draftable.

Ty thinks you are way underrating OB. Especially considering he that he was according to this report the best player on the east squad.
http://today.sportingnews.com/sportingnewstoday/20100120?sub_id=Dgf5sBAvwSyGA&folio=CGI#pg5

"schofield was easily the best player on the East team. Considering he played defensive end in college, he really helped himself by performing so well in a standup position. He showed very good quickness and the speed to cover tight ends in man coverage. He showed very good hips while turning and running with his man off the line. He played with excellent knee bend and leverage."

BTW, congrats to Matt Shaughnessy....all rookie team. To bad he is stuck on da raiduhs.

Fritz
01-20-2010, 07:56 PM
But what's his first name?

Joemailman
01-20-2010, 08:13 PM
O.

Willard
01-20-2010, 09:20 PM

Ty thinks you are way underrating OB. Especially considering he that he was according to this report the best player on the east squad.
I agree. He seems like a playmaker. He seemed to have numerous tackles for loss and/or sacks everytime I watched the Badgers.

The Leaper
01-20-2010, 09:47 PM
I just don't like the kid as much as some. Making plays in the Big Ten really doesn't impress me much. Plenty of Big Ten LBs look like Tarzan in the Big Ten...and look like Jane with the Packers. Hawk made far more plays in his college career...and is a more impressive overall athlete...and most of you wish we could get rid of him.

I think he will probably be taken in the 3rd-4th round range...and that is too early IMO. Time will tell.

Tyrone Bigguns
01-20-2010, 11:01 PM
I just don't like the kid as much as some. Making plays in the Big Ten really doesn't impress me much. Plenty of Big Ten LBs look like Tarzan in the Big Ten...and look like Jane with the Packers. Hawk made far more plays in his college career...and is a more impressive overall athlete...and most of you wish we could get rid of him.

I think he will probably be taken in the 3rd-4th round range...and that is too early IMO. Time will tell.

You have a point, but there are still some good big ten LBs.

Hawk more impressive athlete? Really? Don't know about that. More impressive football player, maybe. More impressive athlete? Hmm. More hyped outta OSU, that is for sure.

More importantly, why are you talking about Big Ten LBs? OB wasn't one..so it really has no bearing on him. :oops:

Fritz
01-21-2010, 12:21 PM
Has anybody ever considered the possibility that Jane was a kick ass football player?

sharpe1027
01-21-2010, 01:41 PM
Has anybody ever considered the possibility that Jane was a kick ass football player?

Or that Tarzan never once played football?

denverYooper
01-21-2010, 01:47 PM

Or that Tarzan never once played football?

He was a hell of a swimmer, though.

Tyrone Bigguns
01-21-2010, 04:41 PM

She was ok, but cheetah was a monster. Don't know if he could play in space though.

Joemailman
01-21-2010, 04:45 PM

Great receiver. She could snatch the ball out of the air with the best of them.

Joemailman
01-21-2010, 04:49 PM
Back to O'Brien Schofield...

Apparently, not everyone was impressed with him.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/story/12814898/risers-and-fallers-from-eastwest-shrine-practices

OLB O'Brien Schofield, Wisconsin
The first-team All-Big Ten pick popped off film this season but couldn't make much headway as a linebacker or defensive end in practices this week. He was trying to learn the linebacker position on the fly, but looked stiff and slow in his drops and in coverage. In one-on-one pass rush drills, he couldn't stay off the ground when trying to beat Saffold or Scott with his speed.

denverYooper
01-21-2010, 04:50 PM

Great receiver. She could snatch the ball out of the air with the best of them.

The knock on her coming out wasn't her ball skills though. It was her ability to separate.

Willard
01-24-2010, 04:19 PM

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/story/12814898/risers-and-fallers-from-eastwest-shrine-practices

The first-team All-Big Ten pick popped off film this season but couldn't make much headway as a linebacker or defensive end in practices this week. He was trying to learn the linebacker position on the fly, but looked stiff and slow in his drops and in coverage. In one-on-one pass rush drills, he couldn't stay off the ground when trying to beat Saffold or Scott with his speed.
Then again somebody was impressed with him:
Schofield named defensive MVP in Shrine Game

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/012310aaa.html

Bretsky
01-25-2010, 09:23 PM
TOUGH TOUGH BREAK FOR THE BADGER

OUCH

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/82643092.html

Sounds like a torn ACL

Brando19
01-25-2010, 09:47 PM
TOUGH TOUGH BREAK FOR THE BADGER

OUCH

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/82643092.html

Sounds like a torn ACL

That is terrible for the kid. Maybe now we can get him in the later rounds.

Harlan Huckleby
01-25-2010, 10:01 PM
oh no, another Erasmus James story

Joemailman
01-25-2010, 10:25 PM
Darn, now I feel guilty about starting this thread. Maybe the Packers take him late and put him on PUP until he is ready to play.

pbmax
01-25-2010, 10:50 PM

They must have been after the game. He was named Defensive MVP.

OK, I was late on that post but unfortunately the JSO Blog has Schofield out with a torn ACL.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/82648292.html

There is video. Its at 5:30

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ODX2ZCEZvg&feature=player_embedded

BF4MVP
01-25-2010, 11:08 PM
Ouch. He's a good football player. Hope he gets healthy, gets a chance, and sticks on a roster somewhere..

Fosco33
01-25-2010, 11:38 PM
Man that really sucks. String of bad luck - casillas, Ike and now OB.

He'll prob be a 6th/7th of undrafted FA. Some team will get lucky with him on PS for a year.

pbmax
01-25-2010, 11:59 PM
The last piece I read on him had him between the 2nd and 3rd round. But that was pre-injury. Here's hoping to a full recovery.

Fritz
01-26-2010, 12:39 PM
Those Wisconsinners advocating for "someone" to pick this guy late and put him on the PUP or IR, if say the Packers did that, and the next year the guy got hurt, how much hate would rain down on TT for picking an injury prone guy???

mraynrand
01-26-2010, 12:44 PM
Those Wisconsinners advocating for "someone" to pick this guy late and put him on the PUP or IR, if say the Packers did that, and the next year the guy got hurt, how much hate would rain down on TT for picking an injury prone guy???

The shit would hit the fan

http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/mraynrand/harreldump.jpg

MadScientist
01-26-2010, 12:47 PM
A hell of a lot if TT picks him up in the first round. If it's a 7th, none at all, because its obvious he's taking a gamble on injured talent, probably for 2011.
Of course if TT passes on the next Taucher or Driver to get him there will still be some (somewhat deserved) criticism.

Fritz
01-26-2010, 12:51 PM

The shit would hit the fan

http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/mraynrand/harreldump.jpg

Or at least the laundry basket.

Smidgeon
01-26-2010, 12:56 PM
A hell of a lot if TT picks him up in the first round. If it's a 7th, none at all, because its obvious he's taking a gamble on injured talent, probably for 2011.
Of course if TT passes on the next Taucher or Driver to get him there will still be some (somewhat deserved) criticism.

He'll only take heat for missing on a 7th rounder (or a low 2nd - 6th) if someone admits they were thinking about that player. Public knowledge on a player's ability and where he should get drafted ends after the first part of the second round. After that, especially in the latter rounds, there's no heat on a GM unless none of his picks pan out because all 31 other teams have passed on that same player as many as 7 or 8 times by that point. GMs seem to take more heat for missing a player in the 1st round than they do for missing in the late rounds.

MadScientist
01-26-2010, 01:47 PM

He'll only take heat for missing on a 7th rounder (or a low 2nd - 6th) if someone admits they were thinking about that player. Public knowledge on a player's ability and where he should get drafted ends after the first part of the second round. After that, especially in the latter rounds, there's no heat on a GM unless none of his picks pan out because all 31 other teams have passed on that same player as many as 7 or 8 times by that point. GMs seem to take more heat for missing a player in the 1st round than they do for missing in the late rounds.
Agreed. Everyone had their chances to pick the rare 7th round stud and missed. There will of course be some complaints anyway. Nothing will stop fans from wishing the Packers got the true best player at each round.

pbmax
01-26-2010, 07:19 PM
Didn't we have a poster who insisted that "EVERYONE KNOWS" you never take a college guy who has had two major injuries? Mr. Poster said it was all Ted's Ego that caused him to ignore a rule of college personnel that scouts learn on their first day on the job.

So by hi logic, there are no problems for O'Brien.

Bretsky
01-26-2010, 08:50 PM

he's no Justine !

Bretsky
01-26-2010, 08:52 PM
Didn't we have a poster who insisted that "EVERYONE KNOWS" you never take a college guy who has had two major injuries? Mr. Poster said it was all Ted's Ego that caused him to ignore a rule of college personnel that scouts learn on their first day on the job.

So by hi logic, there are no problems for O'Brien.

Man, you have a good memory as I don't recall who that was

Hey, how about my favorite Meachem !!!

Meachem..Super Bowl :!: