PDA

View Full Version : Odell Thurman, career over?

red
07-30-2006, 01:53 PM
now i don't want to name names or anything, but once upon a time a member over at the JSO was pretty upset over the fact that we did not select Odell when we had the chance. and that person refused to let us forget about that mistake.

however, Odell has been suspended for the first 4 weeks of this season, and PFT is saying that he might be suspended for the whole year. there is also a report on their message board that a radio station out of cinci is saying that he has lost a lot of weight (40-50 pounds) due to a crystal meth addiction he has had since college. and is now missing from camp

if this is the case the guys career could pretty much be over, crystal meth is a pretty wicked drug from what i hear.

should be interesting to see how this unfolds, could be a sad story

Tarlam!
07-30-2006, 01:55 PM
Anybody ever work as a short order cook;

"Portion of Crow for the Bretsky table: ding ding!"

Harlan Huckleby
07-30-2006, 01:56 PM
I don't believe the crystal meth theory. I suppose it's possible, but seems unlikely.

red
07-30-2006, 01:59 PM
I don't believe the crystal meth theory. I suppose it's possible, but seems unlikely.

i agree, from what i've seen it would be pretty hard to mask an addiction to the stuff

and other posters on that message board say that he looked to be about the right weight at minicamp a couple of months ago

Bretsky
07-30-2006, 01:59 PM
That JS loudmouth was me; you are right. But I'm far far from waving the submission title on this one. Should be interesting to see how things unfold.

red
07-30-2006, 02:20 PM
i was going to keep your identity a secret, but kudos for manning up.

reding the boards it looks like the begals might have lucked out with odell, his career might be over, but they just drafted ahmad brooks in the SD, and they are saying he looks like an absolute freak so far at camp.

i really wish we would have gotten him and made him a DE

woodbuck27
07-30-2006, 02:32 PM
That JS loudmouth was me; you are right. But I'm far far from waving the submission title on this one. Should be interesting to see how things unfold.

Way to stand up for yourself, B.

Bretsky
07-30-2006, 02:45 PM
i was going to keep your identity a secret, but kudos for manning up.

reding the boards it looks like the begals might have lucked out with odell, his career might be over, but they just drafted ahmad brooks in the SD, and they are saying he looks like an absolute freak so far at camp.

i really wish we would have gotten him and made him a DE

When I read the original post I thought it made a ton of sense for them to take Ahmad Brooks, who I also liked.

woodbuck27
07-30-2006, 02:46 PM

Odell Thurman is back home in Georgia dealing with family matters.

HC Marvin Lewis is clearly exasperated with Thurman, the second-year middle linebacker suspended the first four games because of violations of the NFL’s substance abuse policy. Thurman is eligible to practice and play in the preseason games and Lewis expected him here for the 11 a.m. meeting. When 11 came and went Saturday, so did Lewis’s patience.

"It's a non-factor. We expect him here. If you want to be in charge of him you're welcome,” Lewis said. “He's dealing with some things with his family and they'd asked if he was allowed to do this. There's no pressing need for him to be here."

And . . get used to Brian Simmons in the middle.

"We'll have somebody probably play there for the season,” Lewis said. “We're not going to worry about a guy that's not here, or a guy that's not a part of our football team.”

woodbuck27
07-30-2006, 03:11 PM
then this from PFT:

POSTED 10:55 p.m. EDT, July 29, 2006

WHERE'S LENDALE?

As the coaching staff is projecting a "no big deal" demeanor regarding the failure of running back LenDale White to report to training camp despite coming to terms more than two days ago, there is plenty of speculation among his teammates as to White's whereabouts.

The prevailing theory is that he's fat and out of shape. There's also speculation (we repeat, speculation) that White has been hanging with Snoop Dogg, and that LenDale consequently needs to let some things work out of his system before being subjected to a visit from the piss man. (Again, that's speculation only.)

Regardless, it's a bizarre situation. And the Titans REALLY aren't in a position to complain about White's absence, since doing so could be viewed as an implicit admission that they were stoopid for interrupting his draft-day free fall.

White was at one time considered to be a first-round prospect, but his inability to run the 40-yard dash prior to the draft and the arguably poor manner in which he handled the situation caused him to fall to the Titans in round two.

Stay tuned.

The_Dude
07-30-2006, 07:39 PM
If this is true about Thurman then it makes even more sence why they picked up Brooks. Perhaps they saw that things could really go sour with Odell and wanted to make sure they were covered
'

HarveyWallbangers
07-30-2006, 07:58 PM
By a dude with as many character issues as Thurman and Chris Henry? Seems pretty dumb. I think they'll learn their lesson eventually. Those types don't normally win championships--especially a team full of them.

Partial
07-30-2006, 08:09 PM
If this is true about Thurman then it makes even more sence why they picked up Brooks. Perhaps they saw that things could really go sour with Odell and wanted to make sure they were covered
'

Cover the meth user with the pothead!!! :razz: :lol:

wist43
07-31-2006, 07:11 AM
I was one of those who wanted Thurman - based solely on his ability as a football player.

I've said many times that when it comes to guys who are "character risks" you have to interview them, look them in the eye, and draw your own conclusions about whether you think the guy has the mental make up to survive the stresses and temptations of NFL life.

We as fans will never get the chance to look these guys in the eye - consequently, we really have no idea if a guy is a lost cause, or just lacking maturity, or if he's just made some poor choices as young people are want to do. Some guys are obvious morons, like Lawrence Phillips and Chris Henry - I don't know that you can lump Thurman in with guys like that.

We'll see. Time will tell. As far as being a football player, Thurman is one hell of a player.

woodbuck27
07-31-2006, 08:36 AM
I was one of those who wanted Thurman - based solely on his ability as a football player.

I've said many times that when it comes to guys who are "character risks" you have to interview them, look them in the eye, and draw your own conclusions about whether you think the guy has the mental make up to survive the stresses and temptations of NFL life.

We as fans will never get the chance to look these guys in the eye - consequently, we really have no idea if a guy is a lost cause, or just lacking maturity, or if he's just made some poor choices as young people are want to do. Some guys are obvious morons, like Lawrence Phillips and Chris Henry - I don't know that you can lump Thurman in with guys like that.

We'll see. Time will tell. As far as being a football player, Thurman is one hell of a player.

wist43 my lifelong take on getting quality people for any job or to be solid contributors to any organization.It comes down to determing the truth to simple questions.

1. Do they occupy their free time well in specific hobbies that they are passionate about?

2. How is their personal family life? Mother and Father supportive? What is the candidates actual relationship with his/her extended Family?

3. Who do they hang with? Personal friends?

4. What is their attitude to booze and drugs and have they ever abused themselves with either?

5. Does the candidate have a police record? How long ago since the last violation and what are the specifics?

You can ask. The candidate doesn't have to answer.

6. Does the candidate have decent morals? Is he/she spiritual?

That is just a start and you people can add several more questions to that short list, that helps me tap into what a candidate will have (inside) to give my team.

Being high on life is one thing, being HIGH ( to smother his/her life in addictive /destructive ways) - another.

Tarlam!
07-31-2006, 01:25 PM
Woody, if anybody used your list against me, I'd be hard pressed to find any sort of job. Did I mention I am a board member of my company of 480 employees and 250 million in sales?

Your list might be great in Utopia, but here on Earth, it is so far from reality it hurts.

I admire your enthusiasm, though.

woodbuck27
07-31-2006, 02:25 PM
Woody, if anybody used your list against me, I'd be hard pressed to find any sort of job. Did I mention I am a board member of my company of 480 employees and 250 million in sales?

Your list might be great in Utopia, but here on Earth, it is so far from reality it hurts.

I admire your enthusiasm, though.

Tarlam:

I am not making reference to a hiring policy of the general public sense or normal adults with a resume. I assume you have a wealth of experience. That you have spent maybe 20 or more years growing in your chosen fields and are prepared to lead, as you may be so aspired.

I am talking about employing young blood or the youth in Professional Sports or general labour force.

Certainly as an adult you need not take my post personally, as that isn't hardly it's intention , as I always hope for the best for those so deserving. Every screw - up in OUR lives, come down to the part we as individuals contributed to the final result. Ultimately we must accept respnsibility are most generally to blame for OUR individual pains and failures and OUR victories moreso I hope.

It's never what you were or what you are, but where you are going that matters but seasoned always with kindness for yourself today.

OUR destinies are strictly born out of OUR purpose and will. For right or wrong.

That Tarlam is TRUTH.

red
08-01-2006, 09:01 AM
as an update

i was browsing the bengals forums again, looking for more info on this, and it looks like odell did finally show up for camp yesterday, but didn't work out. the people that saw him said he looks maybe a little bigger then he was last year, not smaller

so it looks like the meth rumours were just a bunch of BS

woodbuck27
08-01-2006, 09:25 AM
as an update

i was browsing the bengals forums again, looking for more info on this, and it looks like odell did finally show up for camp yesterday, but didn't work out. the people that saw him said he looks maybe a little bigger then he was last year, not smaller

I'm wondering if they have the wrong name on that rumor red.

red
08-01-2006, 09:39 AM
as an update

no, some guy came on the local news there (like our chris harvel i guess), and said he heard through a source close to odell that odell had the meth problem and had dropped down to 185 or 190

sounds like just a case of very crappy reporting to me

Partial
08-01-2006, 09:42 AM
Word on the street is they're going to work in some 3-4 work like Lewis did sometimes back with the Ravens.

woodbuck27
08-01-2006, 09:44 AM
as an update

no, some guy came on the local news there (like our chris harvel i guess), and said he heard through a source close to odell that odell had the meth problem and had dropped down to 185 or 190

sounds like just a case of very crappy reporting to me

I hope for his sake your guess is right on !

red
08-01-2006, 09:51 AM
Word on the street is they're going to work in some 3-4 work like Lewis did sometimes back with the Ravens.

they definately have the MLB's for it with thurman and brooks,IF and thats a big if, they can get on the field and stay on the field

odell is still suspended for at least the first 4 games, meaning he's failed or missed 3 tests in a year. and it doesn't look like the bengals fans have too much faith in brooks to stay clean either. it almost looks like a lot of them figure its only a matter of time before he does something to get a suspension

what a mess they've managed to put together there. it almost is starting to look like a prison for the nfl. if you do something wrong, you go to cinci. it can't be that good to put that many "problem children" together

unless its like AA, or an anger management group

BF4MVP
08-01-2006, 10:42 AM
Sorry to hear about this.

I knew he had character issues, but I never heard anything about a meth addiction. Meth is some serious shit. I've heard stories about meth addicts like clawing their own faces..

Pack0514
08-01-2006, 11:06 AM
From KFFL.com

Bengals | Thurman apologizes for mistake
Tue, 1 Aug 2006 07:51:28 -0700

Bill Rabinowitz, of the Columbus Dispatch, reports Cincinnati Bengals LB Odell Thurman arrived at training camp Monday, July 31. He won't return to practice for at least two weeks as he conditions. He also apologized to everyone for the suspension he received for violating the NFL's substance-abuse policy. "First of all, I want to say I did make a mistake," he said. "I want to apologize to my teammates - the guys who sweat with me - this organization, my friends and family and, most of all, the fans and kids who look up to me."

woodbuck27
08-01-2006, 11:07 AM
ODELL ON CAMPUS

http://images.nfl.com/photos/img9580135.jpg

Odell Thurman led the Bengals as a rookie with 98 tackles and even had five interceptions.

After missing the start of Bengals camp, Cincinnati linebacker Odell Thurman finally showed up on July 31 -- only to find out he is listed as fourth string on the team's depth chart.

Granted, Bengals coach Marvin Lewis doesn't put much credence in his depth charts, especially early-season ones. But the fact that Thurman is listed as fourth string has to send some type of message to the player whom the NFL has suspended for the first four regular-season games this season.

The Bengals said Thurman's early training camp absence was excused and that Lewis had given the linebacker permission. But clearly, there seem to be issues between the Bengals and Thurman, who missed the team's first three practices. Thurman could be back at practice on Aug. 1.

Then again, the circumstances surrounding his situation have been volatile and unpredictable.

BF4MVP
08-01-2006, 11:09 AM
Fourth string? OUCH THAT'S HARRRRRSH

Tarlam!
08-01-2006, 01:07 PM
...I am not making reference to a hiring policy of the general public sense or normal adults with a resume.[]

I am talking about employing young blood or the youth in Professional Sports or general labour force.[]
That Tarlam is TRUTH.

Sorry, Woody, that's not gonna fly. I replied to your post that started like this

wist43 my lifelong take on getting quality people for any job or to be solid contributors to any organization.It comes down to determing the truth to simple questions.

I repeat: ...for any job or to be solid contributors to any organization....

It's no big deal, but if you're gonna publish "holier-than-thou" criteria, you need to know I fall pretty damned short...[/b]