MOBB DEEP
01-24-2010, 09:18 PM
brunell sighting

red
01-24-2010, 09:19 PM
thats why i don't trust this dumb asshole

b bulldog
thanks Brett for another big game CHOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

pbmax
He got it!!

See you next year Brett.

mission
YESSSSSSS!!!!!

MOBB DEEP
lets go katrina ppl

Bossman641
Yes yes yes

Go home old man

red
YES

go home old man, and go to hell on your way there

steve823
01-24-2010, 09:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsaTElBljOE

Travbrew
YEEESSSS!!!!!

digitaldean
BYE, BYE BERT!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Travbrew
YES

I love you brother!

Bossman641
01-24-2010, 09:21 PM
http://thefastertimes.com/football/files/2009/07/favre-baby-278x300.jpg

The Shadow
Well, now Minnesota knows the feeling we've had so many times over the years.
They have officially been 'Favred'.

gbgary
:bump:

steve823
I wonder how he feels about throwing ints on the last throws of both nfc championships..man I cant wait till they interview him

Travbrew
01-24-2010, 09:22 PM
lets go katrina ppl

I lived there for 6 years. That town needs this. SOOO happy for NOLA. LOVE YOU BIG EASY!

Lurker64
http://i46.tinypic.com/33vixsi.jpg

digitaldean
I do feel the Vikes' fans, though. Now they know how we felt after the Giants NFCC game.

Great job, Brett. Truly. If it wasn't for him, all of AP's (and others) fumbles would have buried them.

Congrats to the Saints fans. They truly needed this.

Now, Minny fans are you ready for the "will he, or won't he" saga for the offseason?

gbgary
01-24-2010, 09:23 PM

:lol:

mission
where is archer, gex, 007 etc?

rastak and the other golf guy... good game vikes fans.

is he going to retire?

HowardRoark
Watch the narcissist walk around the field as though it's all about him.......get off the field and let them celebrate.

Travbrew

All i can say is.. AWESOME!

red
01-24-2010, 09:24 PM

shouldn't there be players screwing hookers on there too?

MOBB DEEP

hahaha

how long has that one been in the holdn pattern?

Rastak
Awesome season.

Congrats to the Saints and I wish them the best. Hard contested game.

Lurker64
is he going to retire?

The best thing about it is that it's not our problem anymore.

MOBB DEEP
01-24-2010, 09:25 PM
YES

hilarious

steve823
01-24-2010, 09:26 PM
Awesome season.

You realize your the only Viking fan I respect right..ahah. Your a class act.

Only one thing to do now ...drink.

The Shadow
THANK YOU, Ted Thompson!

retailguy
Awesome season.

I truly feel for you. You are a total classy guy. Hang in there! It sucks.

Packerarcher
Make it 37

http://www.steelertribute.com/countdown36.htm

Favre did fuck up,ONCE but your link is pretty fuckin stupid. Had the rest of the Viqueens played as good with as much heart as brett today the Vikes would have easily won this one. He can't do it all.but yes he did screw up in the end.

ThunderDan
01-24-2010, 09:29 PM
Make it 37

Favre did fuck up,ONCE but your link is pretty fuckin stupid. Had the rest of the Viqueens played as good with as much heart as brett today the Vikes would have easily won this one. He can't do it all.but yes he did screw up in the end.

Actual BF had 2 INTs but his team let him down. But damn, BF could have run for 7 yards and set up a 50 yard attempt for Longwell.

The Shadow
01-24-2010, 09:30 PM
and the Titanic only hit that one old iceberg.

Joemailman
01-24-2010, 09:34 PM
and the Titanic only hit that one old iceberg.

Bad play by Favre, although you did seem a bit more forgiving when Arod committed a turnover at the end of the Packer/Cardinal game. Not that that should surprise anyone here.

mmmdk
01-24-2010, 09:34 PM
Congrats to the NEW ORLEANS SAINTS; City and team deserves it !

What a game. :P

mmmdk
01-24-2010, 09:37 PM
Awesome season.

Hey Ras, it was a gem of a game. You too !

Lurker64
01-24-2010, 09:39 PM
Awesome season.

My condolences Ras. A question, does the Favreapalooza make this loss sting more than any other recent Vikings playoff departure? Or did the team's late season struggles sort of cushion the blow?

MOBB DEEP
01-24-2010, 09:40 PM
Make it 37

OF COURSE, but wrong venue for that statement if u want mature reactions

roll with the punches

pbmax
01-24-2010, 09:40 PM
Awesome season.

It was a great season for you guys Ras, sorry it ended this way. I think you take them 7 out of 10 on a neutral field.

Guiness
01-24-2010, 09:43 PM
I do feel the Vikes' fans, though. Now they know how we felt after the Giants NFCC game.

Great job, Brett. Truly. If it wasn't for him, all of AP's (and others) fumbles would have buried them.

Congrats to the Saints fans. They truly needed this.

Now, Minny fans are you ready for the "will he, or won't he" saga for the offseason?

Will he or won't he? Ya, I'm not going to miss that.

mraynrand
01-24-2010, 09:44 PM
That had to be just a horrible game to watch as a Viking fan. They did everything they could to piss that one away. The Saints were tight as a drum and the Vikings were the vastly superior team. The Vikings should have won by two TDs. If Favre runs out of bounds they win by one FG. That play reminded me of Favre's INT in the '95 NFC Championship game down 31-27 (Not to mention the '07 NFCC game). Favre can run for 1-2, throw to Chewy for 4-5 or throw it away. He throws a pick. Vikings fans have to feel snake bit and they now understand the unique pain of Packer fan circa 1997-2007. The Trophy case remains empty for another year....

packerbacker1234
01-24-2010, 09:45 PM
You also take them if you stop beating yourself. check the stats - vikes dominated the entire 2nd half, but kept stopping themselves. The vikings playmakers looked their age today: Young, inexperienced in the playoffs type guys. Brett showed some heart playing on that ankle, chasing all the fumbles that were going around, but in the end made that mistake we as pack fans are all too familiar with.

Great season for the vikes. I do hope the fans don't suddenly turn on #4 over in MN, but it is what it is.

mraynrand
01-24-2010, 09:46 PM
Awesome season.

It was a great season for you guys Ras, sorry it ended this way. I think you take them 7 out of 10 on a neutral field.

I think they win 9-10 in the superdome, if they don't piss it away. Vikings were clearly superior - BY FAR the better team.

Packerarcher
01-24-2010, 09:49 PM
Unfortunately I think Brett is done for good,I think some of the cheap shots he took tonight will help make that decision. You all can say what you want about me but I am a huge Brett Favre fan,always have been always will be. IMO the day he really retires will be a sad,sad day for football.

MOBB DEEP
01-24-2010, 09:51 PM
Unfortunately I think Brett is done for good,I think some of the cheap shots he took tonight will help make that decision. You all can say what you want about me but I am a huge Brett Favre fan,always have been always will be. IMO the day he really retires will be a sad,sad day for football.

BINGO...

i will cancel sunday ticket IMMEDIATELY

mraynrand
01-24-2010, 09:51 PM

Singular - he took one cheap shot. The Saints had the right idea - you gotta rough up the ancient QB. Favre played very well, right up to his last play.

mraynrand
01-24-2010, 09:52 PM

BINGO...

Does that mean you will stop posting here? What about Vick? What about Vince Young? What about the Rooney Rule?

Lurker64
01-24-2010, 09:53 PM
IMO the day he really retires will be a sad,sad day for football.

Really, it won't. Because the day he really retires won't be marked by his actual retirement, it will be marked by the fact that he doesn't come back after that point. We won't find out if he's really retired for months after the next time he retires. The next time he retires everybody's questions will be "is it for real this time? He's done this before and seemed really sincere about it". In five months or so, we'll find out how real it is, and then it may be sad, or not, depending on one's personal opinions.

ThunderDan
01-24-2010, 09:55 PM

I loved BF the Packer but I don't agree with your last line. There are always new guys stepping in and becoming Superstars. Favre going out ARod "maybe" coming in. Derrick Thomas -> Clay Matthews III Barry Sanders -> Chris Johnson The list goes on and on. Pick whoever you like. I just thought of 2 Packers off of the top of my head.

The game will always replace lost talent with new. It would be horrible for the sport if it didn't.

mraynrand
01-24-2010, 09:55 PM
IMO the day he really retires will be a sad,sad day for football.

Really, it won't. Because the day he really retires won't be marked by his actual retirement, it will be marked by the fact that he doesn't come back after that point. We won't find out if he's really retired for months after the next time he retires. The next time he retires everybody's questions will be "is it for real this time? He's done this before and seemed really sincere about it". In five months or so, we'll find out how real it is, and then it may be sad, or not, depending on one's personal opinions.

The 1-7 month period over which Favre retires will be a sad, happy, depressing, exciting, boring 1-7 month period.

Bretsky
01-24-2010, 09:56 PM
Watched game away from PC and reading through this thread makes me happy I was not in here

A few comments

1. This one might be the mother of all f'ck ups for Favre. This game was theirs to take. They were right there needing only a few yards to kick that field goal. Ryan Take it to the Bank Longwell was going to nail that kick down the middle of the uprights if he was in range and he's gold in a dome.

Favre could have jogged five yards and given Longwell a 47-50 yard field goal. Just pure stupid for him to make that throw. No ifs, ands, or buts. That decision pissed the game away for the Vikes. This one was probably worse than the Giants and Eagles botch ups by Favre. In both of those scenarios GB had to put together a long drive. They were already set up to win in this game. Favre failed.

2. Secondary, to the terrible decision by Favre, was an absolute inexcusable "Too Many Men on the Field/Huddle" penalty be the Vikings when they were in field goal range already. What were they thinking ? Was that on Bevell, the OL coach, or Childress ? Making this inexcusable coaching/personnell mistake caused #1 to happen. Because IMO Longwell would've nailed the kick from the spot they were at.

3. I called this last week; I expected the home team to win on this one. I expected a hostile environment and noted my view that Favre would have a rough game. If this game were in Minnesota I'd have picked them.

This game shows how important it is to secure home field advantage. No more slow crap starts for Green Bay next year. We need to get it done right off the bat.

pbmax
01-24-2010, 09:59 PM
I agree you cannot lay it all at Brett's feet. His was the most ill-timed, but think about this.

They had 6 fumbles didn't they? And they recovered 3 of them. As much as I think the Vikings should win this game handily, the Saints could have put this away if they fall on the ball better.

Cheesehead Craig
01-24-2010, 10:02 PM
I agree you cannot lay it all at Brett's feet. His was the most ill-timed, but think about this.

They had 6 fumbles didn't they? And they recovered 3 of them. As much as I think the Vikings should win this game handily, the Saints could have put this away if they fall on the ball better.

+1 on not laying it all on Brett.

Had the Saints players tried to dive on the ball instead of pick it up and run with it, this could have been a Saints rout.

mraynrand
01-24-2010, 10:02 PM
Watched game away from PC and reading through this thread makes me happy I was not in here

A few comments

1. This one might be the mother of all f'ck ups for Favre. This game was theirs to take. They were right there needing only a few yards to kick that field goal. Ryan Take it to the Bank Longwell was going to nail that kick down the middle of the uprights if he was in range and he's gold in a dome.

Favre could have jogged five yards and given Longwell a 47-50 yard field goal. Just pure stupid for him to make that throw. No ifs, ands, or buts. That decision pissed the game away for the Vikes. This one was probably worse than the Giants and Eagles botch ups by Favre. In both of those scenarios GB had to put together a long drive. They were already set up to win in this game. Favre failed.

2. Secondary, to the terrible decision by Favre, was an absolute inexcusable "Too Many Men on the Field/Huddle" penalty be the Vikings when they were in field goal range already. What were they thinking ? Was that on Bevell, the OL coach, or Childress ? Making this inexcusable coaching/personnell mistake caused #1 to happen. Because IMO Longwell would've nailed the kick from the spot they were at.

3. I called this last week; I expected the home team to win on this one. I expected a hostile environment and noted my view that Favre would have a rough game. If this game were in Minnesota I'd have picked them.

This game shows how important it is to secure home field advantage. No more slow crap starts for Green Bay next year. We need to get it done right off the bat.

The Vikings were clearly, by far, the better team. Favre's last play notwithstanding, they did all they could to give the game away. They had what 2 penalties until the last few minutes. They pissed the game away, over and over. They chould have won by two TDs, with NO being totally tight the whole second half. Again, Favre's bone head play will stick in everyone's head, but it never should have come to that. Favre played a great game up to that point.

You're thing about the home field is probably right. It's almost hard to imagine how much worse the Saints would have played in the second half if they had crowd noise to deal with.

mraynrand
01-24-2010, 10:04 PM

Had the Saints players tried to dive on the ball instead of pick it up and run with it, this could have been a Saints rout.

If the Vikings hadn't fumbled every other play, they would have run NO out of the building.

gbgary
01-24-2010, 10:04 PM
The 1-7 month period over which Favre retires will be a sad, happy, depressing, exciting, boring 1-7 month period.

as i said before...i'll bet he announces he's coming back right away...another shot at the Packers.

pbmax
01-24-2010, 10:06 PM

If the Vikings hadn't fumbled every other play, they would have run NO out of the building.
But some of those fumbles were forced. It wasn't all handoffs. So some credit to the Saints D.

green_bowl_packer
01-24-2010, 10:07 PM
Brett press conference on NFLN right now.

Joemailman
01-24-2010, 10:07 PM
According to the Guys on Fox, Favre has said he already knows what he is going to do. I think he wanted one last shot, and had it. This time, I think it's over.

packerbacker1234
01-24-2010, 10:08 PM

Indeed. See those 4qt stats? It was like vikings 200+ yards, Saints less then 30. But man fumble after fumble.

By the time you get to #6, after taking a beating and barely able to hobble around, Favre knew the game was on him. It wasn't really per say. His last play was obviously on him, but it's also a play that should of never happened. This was a total team loss by the vikings, and it was very hard emotionally, as much as I didn't want the vikings to win, to see Favre giving everything he had. Got hit what, 11+ times? Almost knocked out the game, barely able to stand at times, getting into the fumbles for recoveries (noteably something you will never see a Peyton Manning do). It was like "this is the stuff that made us fall in love with the guy. He just never gets up, never lets injuries keep him down". It ended badly, but it was a total team loss today, and it's not all on brett, even if the last play is.

digitaldean
01-24-2010, 10:10 PM
But some of those fumbles were forced. It wasn't all handoffs. So some credit to the Saints D.

The Berrian fumble was a prime example. Also the Saints D were like sharks with blood in the water around AP and ripping the ball at every chance.

I think the biggest momentum change (outside the pick in the 4th qtr) was the muffed handoff after Bush's muffed punt. Those 2 plays were 10-14 pts alone.

Credit Williams' D for attacking the ball and forcing turnovers.

Bretsky
01-24-2010, 10:11 PM
According to the Guys on Fox, Favre has said he already knows what he is going to do. I think he wanted one last shot, and had it. This time, I think it's over.

he said he's going to take some time

Lurker64
01-24-2010, 10:11 PM

He might as well retire, since at this point he doesn't lose anything if he changes his mind in June.

Bretsky
01-24-2010, 10:12 PM

He might as well retire, since at this point he doesn't lose anything if he changes his mind in June.

Actually history would say he should just say he's coming back until he's 100% sure

Cheesehead Craig
01-24-2010, 10:15 PM
I think the biggest momentum change (outside the pick in the 4th qtr) was the muffed handoff after Bush's muffed punt. Those 2 plays were 10-14 pts alone.

Absolutely. That was the turning point of the game.

MOBB DEEP
01-24-2010, 10:16 PM

BINGO...

Does that mean you will stop posting here? What about Vick? What about Vince Young? What about the Rooney Rule?

lol... i couldnt resist loggin on one last time this season

i will ALWAYS root for the pack but would just do the sportsbar circuit again...i RARELY take advantage of the ticket 'cept for pack and favre games so seeing highlights will suffice

would have to come back here and continue to teach you all about keepn things in perspective and gettn some laughs and knowledge from the likes of u, mission, red, sc, dy, bossy, thunderdan, joe, shadow, hoosier, gex, double o, bretsky, gary, skin, ty, patler, pb, gunakor, craig the cheeshead, howardroark, lurker, and so on...

even though i disagree with most on the favre issue i thoroughly enjoy u hosers

plus packerrats needs some soul up in this piece

one love u corny cats...

gbgary
01-24-2010, 10:20 PM
lol... i couldnt resist loggin on one last time this season

i will ALWAYS root for the pack but would just do the sportsbar circuit again...i RARELY take advantage of the ticket 'cept for pack and favre games so seeing highlights will suffice

would have to come back here and continue to teach you all about keepn things in perspective and gettn some laughs and knowledge from the likes of u, mission, red, sc, dy, bossy, thunderdan, joe, shadow, hoosier, gex, double o, bretsky, gary, skin, ty, patler, pb, gunakor, craig the cheeshead, howardroark, lurker, and so on...

even though i disagree with most on the favre issue i thoroughly enjoy u hosers

plus packerrats needs some soul up in this piece

one love u corny cats...

back atcha!!

Carolina_Packer
01-24-2010, 10:27 PM
What did the Vikings serve for their pre-game meal? Turnovers. This caused them all to choke!

MJZiggy
01-24-2010, 10:28 PM
I got what I wanted. Saints in the SB. Payton was one I wanted when TT was interviewing coaches. I'm pretty happy with M3, but have a soft spot for NO. Unless they're playing GB.

Bretsky
01-24-2010, 10:47 PM
THAT FINAL PASS INTERFERENCE PLAY

NFL Network keeps playing it over and over. That call was the game. And it was a terrible call.

The receiver did a Vlade Divak Flop. Forget about the ball being uncatchable..........Lieber didn't touch the guy.

Horrible; the referee should have earned a nice scolding next week. You cant' make that call in OT.

pbmax
01-24-2010, 10:57 PM

NFL Network keeps playing it over and over. That call was the game. And it was a terrible call.

The receiver did a Vlade Divak Flop. Forget about the ball being uncatchable..........Lieber didn't touch the guy.

Horrible; the referee should have earned a nice scolding next week. You cant' make that call in OT.
I agree, it was a bad call. But considering the disparity in the penalties, its hard to work up much outrage.

MadScientist
01-24-2010, 10:59 PM

In slow-mo it was a bad call. In real time, it looked like the receiver got pushed. Blame the ref if you must, but at first glance it looked like pass interference.

The low hit on the MN QB on the first interception was a worse miss by the refs.

Bretsky
01-24-2010, 10:59 PM

I agree, it was a bad call. But considering the disparity in the penalties, its hard to work up much outrage.

I've always felt OT was the spot where you only call the blatantly obvious calls. that makes it even worse. Regarding the disparity of penalties, I get the feeling the Saints came in with the plan to hit Favre and hit him often even if they did bring some penalites. I think it worked. And they may have even got away with one.

I also thought that holding call against Colledge was terrible in OT; I'm not sure his guy was getting a sack w/o the hold.

And if you call the hold then you call the helmet to helmet

Packerarcher
01-24-2010, 11:07 PM

In slow-mo it was a bad call. In real time, it looked like the receiver got pushed. Blame the ref if you must, but at first glance it looked like pass interference.

The low hit on the MN QB on the first interception was a worse miss by the refs.

Even in reg speed you could plainly see no contact,my reasoning on the no call for the low hit on the QB is that's only for pretty boy QB's.

Packman_26
01-24-2010, 11:25 PM

I've always felt OT was the spot where you only call the blatantly obvious calls.
I hate when people say that. A penalty is a penalty. Refs miss enough things with one set of rules let alone two. Players jobs are already hard enough too without having to adjust to different set of rules.

Packerarcher
01-24-2010, 11:32 PM
THERE"S THE BERT WE ALL KNOW!!!!!
FUCK THAT PIECE OF SHIT...OH YEAH!!!

Fuck you you worthless POS he was cut at the knees, no othe QB in the game could get up after any of this.

Worthless POS...OK. I can see where you might want to say that. I've done more for you than you''ll ever know, ASSHAT.

Was commenting on the pick, not the injury, for what it's worth, but... any time, anywhere. I'm game...let me know where and I'll be there. LOVE TO MEET YOU FACE TO FACE!!

Appreciate what you have done for the country,but don't try and pull the hard ass act on me it doesn't work.

not a hard ass act. But the POS comment came from left field. don't want your accolades, but call me POS and i want to hurt you, that's not an act. If that makes me a POS, well then so be it. Chances are, you and i would enjoy a cold frosty together sometime, but I wouldn't front with the POS without knowing you, so therefore, I don't appreciate it.

Fair enough,and I snapped without thinking,that happens sometimes when I have had a few or 10. :oops:

Zool
01-25-2010, 01:16 AM

How about the 15 yarder after the Vikings muffed fair catch call? How about the 15 yard Roughing the QB for no reason? How about the high/low on Favre that was a no-call.

The refs are getting worse.

Fritz
01-25-2010, 05:28 AM

A few comments

This entire post reminds me that now Queens fans have their own version of Fourth-and-26 and the 07 Giants loss to gnash teeth over, to dessicate, to mince and dice and digest forever and ever. Peterson's fumbles? Favre's interceptions? The play calling? Who was the 12th guy who wasn't supposed to be on the field? Why oh why didn't Favre just run for that first down or get close enough for Longwell to kick?

Now they have a way to wile away the winter in Minnesota.
\
Enjoy, fellas.

HowardRoark
01-25-2010, 07:19 AM
\
Enjoy, fellas.

"Damn, that Favra guy was doing so well right up to the end dontcha know?"

"yeah, yeah......pass the Grain Belt will ya."

http://rlv.zcache.com/minnesota_holiday_card-p137656664509529415328z_400.jpg

Iron Mike
01-25-2010, 07:24 AM
This entire post reminds me that now Queens fans have their own version of Fourth-and-26 and the 07 Giants loss to gnash teeth over, to dessicate, to mince and dice and digest forever and ever. Peterson's fumbles? Favre's interceptions? The play calling? Who was the 12th guy who wasn't supposed to be on the field? Why oh why didn't Favre just run for that first down or get close enough for Longwell to kick?

http://www.vikingsgab.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/brad-childress1.jpg

Lemme see....... 51-yard field goal? That sounds good! Let’s just burn 30 seconds off the clock! That way, my ancient QB will be tempted to make a horrible mistake on 3rd and long.

Mike Tice stupid. 8-)

mraynrand
01-25-2010, 09:23 AM
"Favre comments are in the Favre thread. NOWHERE else.

Other threads will be immediately locked. repeat offenders will be deactivated.

Personal attacks on either side of the Favre aisle will not be looked upon well. Keep your personal opinions to yourself if you cannot express them without attacking someone elses position."

denverYooper
01-25-2010, 09:47 AM
I missed Porter mocking the Jared Allen sack dance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC0rcPIqguA

Sparkey
01-25-2010, 09:59 AM

Hardly. The turnovers were the game.

Cheesehead Craig
01-25-2010, 10:23 AM
I missed Porter mocking the Jared Allen sack dance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC0rcPIqguA

I thought that was funny when he did that. Especially after Rice's mocking of the Sharper Shake.

MichiganPackerFan
01-25-2010, 11:16 AM
How can we end the tyranny of the FOX robot?

Ideas?

I think a warm bath with an electrical appliance would do it, or in this case, just a bath!!

hoosier
01-25-2010, 11:30 AM
How can we end the tyranny of the FOX robot?

Ideas?

I think a warm bath with an electrical appliance would do it, or in this case, just a bath!!

Someone even started an online petition to get rid of the Fox football robot. :lol: http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/fox-robot.html

mngolf19
01-25-2010, 12:31 PM
That had to be just a horrible game to watch as a Viking fan. They did everything they could to piss that one away. The Saints were tight as a drum and the Vikings were the vastly superior team. The Vikings should have won by two TDs. If Favre runs out of bounds they win by one FG. That play reminded me of Favre's INT in the '95 NFC Championship game down 31-27 (Not to mention the '07 NFCC game). Favre can run for 1-2, throw to Chewy for 4-5 or throw it away. He throws a pick. Vikings fans have to feel snake bit and they now understand the unique pain of Packer fan circa 1997-2007. The Trophy case remains empty for another year....

Spot on. Although I don't only blame him since they turned it over a bunch of other times.

mngolf19
01-25-2010, 12:35 PM

as i said before...i'll bet he announces he's coming back right away...another shot at the Packers.

I agree with this. He sounded awfully happy about this season prior to the game.

mngolf19
01-25-2010, 12:38 PM
What did the Vikings serve for their pre-game meal? Turnovers. This caused them all to choke!

If your playing in a game your not supposed to be in and are not favored to win, is it really a choke? Bad play, yes. Good play, yes. Hardly a choke.

MichiganPackerFan
01-25-2010, 12:39 PM
Any press conference he gave this week would probably be limited to "Ow ow ow ow ow ow"...

Definitely want him to come back for one more season so a more mature pack squad can have another shot at him.

Scott Campbell
01-25-2010, 12:43 PM

If your playing in a game your not supposed to be in and are not favored to win, is it really a choke? Bad play, yes. Good play, yes. Hardly a choke.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/images/01/25/FavreINT.mp3

HarveyWallbangers
01-25-2010, 12:47 PM

\
Enjoy, fellas.

Well, Minnesota has had plenty of these. Darin Nelson dropping the ball against Washington in the 1987 NFC Championship Game. 1998 NFC Championship Game. Nate Poole.

mngolf19
01-25-2010, 12:48 PM

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/images/01/25/FavreINT.mp3

Eh. Really I'm just wandering through the desert at this point wondering why. :(

mngolf19
01-25-2010, 12:49 PM

\
Enjoy, fellas.

Well, Minnesota has had plenty of these. Darin Nelson dropping the ball against Washington in the 1987 NFC Championship Game. 1998 NFC Championship Game. Nate Poole.

And Nelson will be a loser in my mind forever because of that.

mraynrand
01-25-2010, 02:02 PM
John Madden: "And Gary Anderson hasn't missed a field goal all year!!"
Pat Summerall: "Hasn't missed all year"

http://www.coachzauner.com/images/G.jpg

mraynrand
01-25-2010, 02:04 PM

\
Enjoy, fellas.

And Nelson will be a loser in my mind forever because of that.

"I Love you, Minnesota!"

http://www.nflalumninoca.org/images_09/Darrin_Nelson.jpg

mraynrand
01-25-2010, 02:07 PM

An unforced error that loses you the game is a choke.

http://s453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/mraynrand/?action=view&current=favreslastGBtoss.flv

http://s453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/mraynrand/?action=view&current=favremoonshot.flv

http://s453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/mraynrand/?action=view&current=favrebailout.flv

pbmax
01-25-2010, 02:45 PM
Was Nelson's non catch really a drop? I remember it being a tough catch. And I also remember that he may not have gotten into the endzone if he had made the catch.

Anyone have the film?

MadScientist
01-25-2010, 02:53 PM

Are you referring to the int or all of those critical fumbles? The only really unforced fumble was the one by AP near the goal line. As for the last int, they were out of FG range, and scrambling would not have got them to it. He would have barely made it past the line of scrimmage, given where he was, where the defenders were and how bad his ankle was. It was a bad play, but there is no guarantee that any other choice would have let them win the game.

I would agree that being sloppy with the ball causing them to lose a game they were otherwise dominating can constitute a choke. Perhaps a better definition is: 'A team that acts like they can't stand success in championship games.'

HarveyWallbangers
01-25-2010, 03:25 PM
As for the last int, they were out of FG range, and scrambling would not have got them to it. He would have barely made it past the line of scrimmage, given where he was, where the defenders were and how bad his ankle was. It was a bad play, but there is no guarantee that any other choice would have let them win the game.

Wrong. They were at the 38 yard line. At worst, they at least get a 55 yard FG attempt. In a dome, that's well within Longwell's range. Longwell was 8 for 8 on 50+ yard FGs in the last two years (including a 54 yarder and two 53 yarders). Remember he also recently won a game at Chicago on a 55 yarder. So, an incompletion gives them a chance.

Saying he would have barely gotten back to the LOS is crazy. He throws the ball from the 40 (two yards behind the LOS) and there was nobody within 9 yards in front of him. There was a guy trailing him by about 4-5 yards. At worst, he gets 4-5 yards out of a scramble and Longwell knocks home a makeable FG. Give me a break on the ankle excuse. Watch him scramble on the play. He hardly looks affected by the ankle. In fact, he looks faster than he did most of the game.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d815f1c71/Favre-INT

mraynrand
01-25-2010, 03:45 PM

Are you referring to the int or all of those critical fumbles? The only really unforced fumble was the one by AP near the goal line. As for the last int, they were out of FG range, and scrambling would not have got them to it. He would have barely made it past the line of scrimmage, given where he was, where the defenders were and how bad his ankle was. It was a bad play, but there is no guarantee that any other choice would have let them win the game.

I would agree that being sloppy with the ball causing them to lose a game they were otherwise dominating can constitute a choke. Perhaps a better definition is: 'A team that acts like they can't stand success in championship games.'

Go back through this and the Favre thread. I am on record as saying Favre played a very good game. Absolutely, the fumbles cost MN the game. They don't turn it over they win going away. They were vastly superior to NO. If you were around after the Wildcard against the Cards, Patler astutely pointed out that all that great stuff leading up to the critical play is good, but greatness is made by converting the critical plays. Favre runs it, they were likely attempting a 50 max FG. Aaron Rodgers throws a good ball to Jennings, the Packers would have gone to N.O. Critical unforced errors at critical times and the QB lost the game (or didn't win it), despite all the good they did earlier.

Scott Campbell
01-25-2010, 03:55 PM

Go back through this and the Favre thread. I am on record as saying Favre played a very good game. Absolutely, the fumbles cost MN the game. They don't turn it over they win going away. They were vastly superior to NO. If you were around after the Wildcard against the Cards, Patler astutely pointed out that all that great stuff leading up to the critical play is good, but greatness is made by converting the critical plays. Favre runs it, they were likely attempting a 50 max FG. Aaron Rodgers throws a good ball to Jennings, the Packers would have gone to N.O. Critical unforced errors at critical times and the QB lost the game (or didn't win it), despite all the good they did earlier.

It's hard to win when your QB has 2 INT's and a fumble, and when he chokes in the clutch.

SkinBasket
01-25-2010, 04:03 PM
As for the last int, they were out of FG range, and scrambling would not have got them to it. He would have barely made it past the line of scrimmage, given where he was, where the defenders were and how bad his ankle was. It was a bad play, but there is no guarantee that any other choice would have let them win the game.

Wrong. They were at the 38 yard line. At worst, they at least get a 55 yard FG attempt. In a dome, that's well within Longwell's range. Longwell was 8 for 8 on 50+ yard FGs in the last two years (including a 54 yarder and two 53 yarders). Remember he also recently won a game at Chicago on a 55 yarder. So, an incompletion gives them a chance.

Saying he would have barely gotten back to the LOS is crazy. He throws the ball from the 40 (two yards behind the LOS) and there was nobody within 9 yards in front of him. There was a guy trailing him by about 4-5 yards. At worst, he gets 4-5 yards out of a scramble and Longwell knocks home a makeable FG. Give me a break on the ankle excuse. Watch him scramble on the play. He hardly looks affected by the ankle. In fact, he looks faster than he did most of the game.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d815f1c71/Favre-INT

I'm with this guy. If Farv had brought that ball back down, he had the nearest defender in front of him in the air and he picks up plenty to give Longwell a great shot at winning the game.

packerbacker1234
01-25-2010, 04:07 PM

It's hard to win when your QB has 2 INT's and a fumble, and when he chokes in the clutch.

The fumble wasn't his fault... Peterson clamped his arms before the ball got there.

It's hard to win when -

Your stud RB has 3 or 4 fumbles. Berrian fumbles teh ball at the opponents 5 yard line. Harvin fumbles the ball at the opponents 20 yard line. Communication goes bad causing a 12 man of the field penalty when you were still in Longwells wheelhouse, putting the kick on the outer edige of Longwell's ability. the QB tries to make soemthing happen instead of playing safe, and throws a pick.

Despite all this, despite 5 turnovers, it still took OT to beat the vikings. Despite favre getting physically destroyed, it still took OT. This loss isn't all on favre, int he least bit. 3 Times, THREE, his palyers took points off the board with fumbles, sure fired points from the 20 yard line and in. Even without favre's pick that wasn't a for sure 3 points. But the 3 other fumbles inside the opponents 20? Yeah, that is for sure points, points that even if reduced to FG's lead to a victory.

The vikigns were teh better team, but had this massive case of fumblitis. Forget favre - he played well enough to win. Especially wiht the beat down he took. 7 fumbles? Yeah, thats inexcusable.

mraynrand
01-25-2010, 04:12 PM
This loss isn't all on favre, int he least bit.

The first part is correct, the second no so much. He threw away their chance to win at the end of regulation. That's all on him. To deny this is madness.

ThunderDan
01-25-2010, 04:13 PM

The fumble wasn't his fault... Peterson clamped his arms before the ball got there.

It's hard to win when -

Your stud RB has 3 or 4 fumbles. Berrian fumbles teh ball at the opponents 5 yard line. Harvin fumbles the ball at the opponents 20 yard line. Communication goes bad causing a 12 man of the field penalty when you were still in Longwells wheelhouse, putting the kick on the outer edige of Longwell's ability. the QB tries to make soemthing happen instead of playing safe, and throws a pick.

Despite all this, despite 5 turnovers, it still took OT to beat the vikings. Despite favre getting physically destroyed, it still took OT. This loss isn't all on favre, int he least bit. 3 Times, THREE, his palyers took points off the board with fumbles, sure fired points from the 20 yard line and in. Even without favre's pick that wasn't a for sure 3 points. But the 3 other fumbles inside the opponents 20? Yeah, that is for sure points, points that even if reduced to FG's lead to a victory.

The vikigns were teh better team, but had this massive case of fumblitis. Forget favre - he played well enough to win. Especially wiht the beat down he took. 7 fumbles? Yeah, thats inexcusable.

Look I agree it wasn't Favre's fault. The Vikes should have been way ahead. But when he had the chance to get them into FG range he choked the chicken and cost MINN the game.

I feel the same way about ARod in the Packer game. Led a hell of a comeback but couldn't finish. I give Arod a little more leeway since the ARI player took him down by the facemask.

I'd take either Favre or Arod as my QB next year if they both played like they did this year. But, since ARod is way younger he is my man.

denverYooper
01-25-2010, 06:36 PM
You know, what happened almost makes me believe in karma. I know that the ball just bounces the way it did last night sometimes and I don't really believe in that mystical crap.

But still...

Just the way it all went down -- the crazy fumble-itis and the Vikes dominating in all categories but the scoreboard. Then for it to end the way it did, Favre's last throw a crushing interception. I couldn't believe it. After having his best statistical season and it looking like inevitability that the Vikes would roll down the field into the superbowl, for it to come down to that was astounding. Even though I've been there again and again. It was like an anti-storybook ending.

http://www.filmdope.com/Gallery/ActorsG/7120-15223.gif
I believe that's the worst thing I've ever heard.[/img]

Scott Campbell
01-25-2010, 07:11 PM
It was like an anti-storybook ending.

Unless you're a Packer fan. :D

HarveyWallbangers
01-25-2010, 07:24 PM
Sounds like Cedric Griffin tore his ACL--which puts his availability for the beginning of next season in serious jeopardy.

Iron Mike
01-25-2010, 07:32 PM
It was like an anti-storybook ending.

Especially for this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PUAgITZfq0&feature=player_embedded

Fosco33
01-25-2010, 07:32 PM
Now this is pretty funny (sad)...

74 yr Viking fan with a 36 year old beard...

http://blogs.citypages.com/blotter/2010/01/74-year-old_man_stuck_with_beard.php

:P

pbmax
01-25-2010, 07:33 PM

It's hard to win when -

Look I agree it wasn't Favre's fault. The Vikes should have been way ahead. But when he had the chance to get them into FG range he choked the chicken and cost MINN the game.

I feel the same way about ARod in the Packer game. Led a hell of a comeback but couldn't finish. I give Arod a little more leeway since the ARI player took him down by the facemask.

I'd take either Favre or Arod as my QB next year if they both played like they did this year. But, since ARod is way younger he is my man.
Hold on here. It wasn't fate or fumblitis that caused those turnovers. Recovering a fumble involves luck, but causing a turnover is a repeatable skill and the Saints did a good job of that. Petersen has a history, but that only explains 1 of his lost fumbles. The Saints deserve some of the credit and if they had been better at falling on the ball, they might have had the two score lead.

Kiwon
01-25-2010, 07:44 PM
Excuse me, ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I have a question:

Could Longwell have hit a 56 yard FG?

I have not been keeping up with him lately.

swede
01-25-2010, 07:51 PM

Someone posted some astounding numbers earlier. He was on quite a roll as far as hitting 50+ yarders indoors.

12 men in the huddle? Whose fault was that?

Bretsky
01-25-2010, 08:11 PM

It's hard to win when -

I feel the same way about ARod in the Packer game. Led a hell of a comeback but couldn't finish. .

spot on; I give Favre a portion of the blame for not making a play when they most needed the QB to step up. I said the same about AROD after we lost to AZ

Bretsky
01-25-2010, 08:14 PM

In pregame he was hitting 52 yarders; I say 50-50 and he'd be gold from 50yds and less. Favre need to run there and the best kicker in Packer history would have kicked the Vikes to the Super Bowl.

Kiwon
01-25-2010, 08:29 PM

In pregame he was hitting 52 yarders; I say 50-50 and he'd be gold from 50yds and less. Favre need to run there and the best kicker in Packer history would have kicked the Vikes to the Super Bowl.

Probably so. At least give Longwell a shot. If he fails the game still goes into OT anyway.

That was one heck of a football game though.... Talk about drama and momentum swings....

Bretsky
01-25-2010, 08:35 PM

Probably so. At least give Longwell a shot. If he fails the game still goes into OT anyway.

That was one heck of a football game though.... Talk about drama and momentum swings....

Been a rough few weeks; I stayed true to my word before the season started

I cheered hard for the Pack and seeing them lose was quite draining
Once the Pack was eliminated my emotions were with Favre and the Vikes

Got beaten down again and it felt nearly as bad as the Pack loss to AZ.

The bright side is the Saints play the Colts in the Super Bowl and I could really care less about either team :!:

pbmax
01-25-2010, 11:37 PM
Longwell told the coaches he could do 52 (or 53). He has a career long of 55 in Chicago while with the Vikes. The Vikes were on the 38.

MichiganPackerFan
01-26-2010, 08:06 AM
The vikigns were teh better team, but had this massive case of fumblitis.

I disagree: the better team doesn't have their top players all choke in the playoffs.

denverYooper
01-26-2010, 08:23 AM

I disagree: the better team doesn't have their top players all choke in the playoffs.

Yeah, I find that argument funny also (and not the first time I've heard it). The Saints game on D is to force turnovers. They were successful in that aspect of their game, despite giving up the yards. Apparently it worked well enough because they're going to Miami.

You could also argue that the Saints would have held the Vikings to less yards had they not committed so many killer penalties. Had they lost the game, that would have been their downfall.

pbmax
01-26-2010, 08:26 AM

Well, that goes both ways. Brees and Bush had their own struggles with this game. Brees did not look like himself and Bush, with only one big catch and on TD run didn't do much else. And Brees was facing a Pass D that can be beaten. If not for the short fields, he was in trouble.

gbgary
01-26-2010, 10:22 AM
lurking at purple pride and saw this article. a writer saying the second hard hit on brett was illegal. if the brady rule says, as he professes, that a player on the ground can't go at the qb's legs, than the hit isn't illegal at all. the player wasn't on the ground as he alleges.

http://www.purple-pride.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=57&func=view&catid=8&id=19626&lang=en

Zool
01-26-2010, 10:59 AM
lurking at purple pride and saw this article. a writer saying the second hard hit on brett was illegal. if the brady rule says, as he professes, that a player on the ground can't go at the qb's legs, than the hit isn't illegal at all. the player wasn't on the ground as he alleges.

http://www.purple-pride.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=57&func=view&catid=8&id=19626&lang=en

I think people are confusing the Brady rule with the lineman engagement rule. You can't engage a blocker low and high but I don't think that same rule applies to any other situations. Yes/no?

mngolf19
01-26-2010, 12:56 PM

I think people are confusing the Brady rule with the lineman engagement rule. You can't engage a blocker low and high but I don't think that same rule applies to any other situations. Yes/no?

Their talking about the new rule instituted in '09 that lineman cannot "go" for a QB's legs when not attacking from an upright position. This is also a Brady rule. Many at the beginning of the season thought this might pose a problem for all DE's but especially Jared Allen.

Fritz
01-26-2010, 03:44 PM
From what I saw Brees got the hell beaten out of him and didn't get much for calls.

Iron Mike
02-18-2010, 07:59 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v739/mike_zankle/superbowltshirt.jpg

Scott Campbell
02-18-2010, 08:00 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v739/mike_zankle/superbowltshirt.jpg

Thanks Ted.