PDA

View Full Version : Five things I think I think.

ND72
01-25-2010, 10:07 PM
#1 - Think of this. People that were to be interviewed by Ted Thompson when Sherman was fired....Brad Childress, Sean Payton, Wade Phillips, Tim Lewis, and Mike McCarthy. I think Thompson had a good eye for a head coach. Although I will throw in my opinion, I wanted Sean Payton.

#2 - I think Brad Childress is a horrible coach.

#3 - I will probably take a beating for this, but I truly think Brett Favre could not win the big game. I know he won a Super Bowl, I know he made it to another. But think about the rest of his resume.

#4 - I really think the Colts are an under-rated great team. I don't think people really realize how good this team is.

#5 - The Saints are going to need a much better offensive day than they did against Minny to win the Super Bowl.

Joemailman
01-25-2010, 10:23 PM
1. Agree. MM is a better coach than most people realized at the time.

2. Not horrible, but not good enough to win it all. He did go 10-6 last year with nothing at QB.

3. Disagree. Favre in his prime went to 2 consecutive Super Bowls. He was the main reason the Vikings, with their fumble-itis, were even in the game yesterday. Remember, players who never make it to a big game are never accused of being unable to win a big game.

4. Colts are a good team that knows how to win, not a great team.

5. Agree. Brees especially needs to play better if the Saints are to have a chance.

pbmax
01-25-2010, 11:15 PM
#1 - I was just hoping it wasn't Phillips. Beside his defenses in Denver, all I knew about him was that he kept going back to Rob Johnson as QB in Buffalo over Doug Flutie. Of course, 95% of the NFL underestimated Flutie.

#2 - If there is someone in Minnesota the Packers could covet, its their personnel guy, not their coach.

#3 - I am not sure about "could not win" but the great unanswered question is: If you can discipline yourself for 16 regular season games and 1 playoff game, why can you not be disciplined for one more? And why did it take moving to the Vikings at age 40 to do it?

#4 - Yes they are and another Super Bowl win will eliminate the lack of notice. But I am torn by this version. In some respects, they should be better than the 2006 version but have struggled more. Collie and Garcon are not Marvin Harrsion, but they are good. And the Defense should be better, although the playoff performance of the 2006 defense is hard to challenge.

#5 - Yes, before the complete Viking meltdown, the most commented theme of the game was how tight the Saints looked on offense, esp. Brees.

ND72
01-26-2010, 07:31 AM
Like I said, I knew I would take heat for #3. I know he went to 2 straight Super Bowls, I get that, but since then, his resume is not great. I know the 98 playoffs vs. SF was probably the inability for the defense to stop the 49ers, but we lost. In the past decade, we've had some ugly playoff games.

Favre's 5 INT's vs. St. Louis, Mike Vick completely out playing Favre in Lambeau, Culpepper completely out playing Favre in Lambeau, Eli Manning out played Favre in the NFC Championship in Lambeau, heck even Hasselback out played Favre in the playoffs even though we "took the ball and scored" in OT. I know the fact we lost to Philly was more on the shoulders of the Defense for the 4th & 26, but Favre did throw the stupid INT in OT.

That's the resume I am talking about.

I know he had a great Divisional game for us in 07, and Minny this year, but the NFC Championship games haven't turned out well for him. I know it was only because of him that Minny was in the game yesterday, but in the end, he cost them...even though I will say Childress cost them more.

ND72
01-26-2010, 07:32 AM
I'm sorry, I just saw the Favre comments thing....is this under that "claus"? I'm not meaning to cause anything, just discussing.

Smidgeon
01-26-2010, 09:40 AM
#3 - I am not sure about "could not win" but the great unanswered question is: If you can discipline yourself for 16 regular season games and 1 playoff game, why can you not be disciplined for one more? And why did it take moving to the Vikings at age 40 to do it?

And why, oh why, did it take until he was 40 to tie for the league lead in fewest interceptions (for QBs who threw a certain number of passes, etc)?

sharpe1027
01-26-2010, 10:18 AM
Like I said, I knew I would take heat for #3. I know he went to 2 straight Super Bowls, I get that, but since then, his resume is not great. I know the 98 playoffs vs. SF was probably the inability for the defense to stop the 49ers, but we lost. In the past decade, we've had some ugly playoff games.

Favre's 5 INT's vs. St. Louis, Mike Vick completely out playing Favre in Lambeau, Culpepper completely out playing Favre in Lambeau, Eli Manning out played Favre in the NFC Championship in Lambeau, heck even Hasselback out played Favre in the playoffs even though we "took the ball and scored" in OT. I know the fact we lost to Philly was more on the shoulders of the Defense for the 4th & 26, but Favre did throw the stupid INT in OT.

I know he had a great Divisional game for us in 07, and Minny this year, but the NFC Championship games haven't turned out well for him. I know it was only because of him that Minny was in the game yesterday, but in the end, he cost them...even though I will say Childress cost them more.

I disagree with Eli out playing Favre, but agree with the general premise. I really didn't think that Eli played that well. He was inaccurate all day and got bailed out by his WRs several times. He threw some passes that landed in the middle of nowhere.

Unless you subscribe to the theme that "it's better to be lucky than good," IMHO Eli's play was over-hyped because people expected him to completely flop. I think he exceeded expectations, they were just not very high to begin with.

gbgary
01-26-2010, 10:59 AM
#1 - Think of this. People that were to be interviewed by Ted Thompson when Sherman was fired....Brad Childress, Sean Payton, Wade Phillips, Tim Lewis, and Mike McCarthy. I think Thompson had a good eye for a head coach. Although I will throw in my opinion, I wanted Sean Payton.

#2 - I think Brad Childress is a horrible coach.

#3 - I will probably take a beating for this, but I truly think Brett Favre could not win the big game. I know he won a Super Bowl, I know he made it to another. But think about the rest of his resume.

#4 - I really think the Colts are an under-rated great team. I don't think people really realize how good this team is.

#5 - The Saints are going to need a much better offensive day than they did against Minny to win the Super Bowl.

mm? the jury's still out as far as i'm concerned. at least i'm not calling for his beheading any longer.

chilly? i think he's wade phillips like.

brett? he could've won it all. he's still got it.

colts? under-rated? i don't think so. they've been touted as number 1 all year i think.

saints? i don't think the colt's d is as good as minn's so i think they'll be ok. i think it's gonna be another shoot-out.

swede
01-26-2010, 11:59 AM

Certainly he carved out another niche in NFL history for his brilliant regular season campaign; his arm was magnificent as ever, but...

What he's still got is the inability to NOT make a throw he shouldn't make.

Has any quarterback lost as many NFC championship games as Brett?

gbgary
01-26-2010, 12:06 PM

Certainly he carved out another niche in NFL history for his brilliant regular season campaign; his arm was magnificent as ever, but...

i hear ya. i'm just sayin'.

swede
01-26-2010, 12:15 PM

i hear ya. i'm just sayin'.

I blame myself. I was so impressed by the gutty way he responded to the beating he was taking that my "Mad-at-Favre" mindset was wavering. Like when Darth Vader breaks down and throws the Emperor down the shaft because he was messing up Luke. I was just starting to believe again. The old man kept getting up and coming back out on the field. And then he threw the pick while the team was within a reasonable Longwell shot at a FG. Favre has a legacy now that will cause any number of fistfights in Green Bay bars for years to come. He was at once brilliant and yet capable of game-killing mistakes that no rookie should make.

Smidgeon
01-26-2010, 12:50 PM

I was thinking about this the other day--well, about how many NFC Championship games he's been in. Anyone got any statistics about how many times he's been in the NFC Championship game versus other historic QBs?

Tony Oday
01-26-2010, 01:46 PM
2000 - Missed playoffs
2001 - Missed playoffs
2002 - 6 INT loss to Rams
2003 - 2 INT 1 fumble home loss to Falcons... See More
2004 - OT INT in loss to Eagles (4th & 26 game)
2005 - 4 INT loss to Queens
2006 - Missed playoffs
2007 - Missed playoffs
2008 - OT INT loss to Giants (stomach punch game)
2009 - Missed playoffs
2010 - INT on final drive in OT

sheepshead
01-26-2010, 03:00 PM
payton is far and away a better HC than MM right now. Chilly did a better job then MM in my opinion this year. MM could be our guy but he needs to start winning playoff games quickly.

Tony Oday
01-26-2010, 03:27 PM
payton is far and away a better HC than MM right now. Chilly did a better job then MM in my opinion this year. MM could be our guy but he needs to start winning playoff games quickly.

Ah Payton SHOULD have lost in the NFC Championship game because of his play calling. The Vikings defense is vulnerable to the pass and the final couple of drives he was playcalling scared and was doing the classic run on 1st and 2nd then throwing. I think he still gets the edge on MM but not a clear victory.

Chilli is God Awful. He is the best thing to happen to the Pack and the North since Mike Tice.

Brandon494
01-26-2010, 04:17 PM

I was thinking about this the other day--well, about how many NFC Championship games he's been in. Anyone got any statistics about how many times he's been in the NFC Championship game versus other historic QBs?

He is 2-3 in NFC Championship games.

Also find it funny he has thrown an INT on his last pass for the Packers, Jets, and Vikings.

I do believe Favre could and would have won more championship games if he had a better HC to keep him under control. If Holmgren would not have left we would have atleast won another championship IMO.

packers11
01-26-2010, 04:21 PM

Also find it funny he has thrown an INT on his last pass for the Packers, Jets, and Vikings.

I do believe Favre could and would have won more championship games if he had a better HC to keep him under control. If Holmgren would not have left we would have atleast won another championship IMO.

I know for a fact Mcnabb has been in 5-6 NFC-C games and has only been to one superbowl...

and I agree if Favre wasn't allowed to do whatever he pleased under Shermy, we probably would have another ring...

sheepshead
01-26-2010, 04:29 PM

Wait, who holds the most blame for the loss of Super Bowl 32 if not Mike Holmgren?

The Shadow
01-26-2010, 04:35 PM

I don't think you should take any heat; your comments are valid.

Brandon494
01-26-2010, 04:35 PM

Wait, who holds the most blame for the loss of Super Bowl 32 if not Mike Holmgren?

I don't really blame Holmgren for that game, TD just had the game of his life.

Joemailman
01-26-2010, 04:49 PM
[

Chilli is God Awful. He is the best thing to happen to the Pack and the North since Mike Tice.

So what are you saying about the rest of the North given that Chilly has won the last 2 division titles?

sheepshead
01-26-2010, 04:52 PM
Packers were 13 point favorites. Many players have since said they were not ready to play. Fucked around for 2 weeks. One running back does not beat a team. Mike Holmgren hosed us and history will show him as a mediocre head coach and a terrible GM who got fired in his only stint. The Browns will continue as NFL doormats.

sheepshead
01-26-2010, 04:54 PM
[

So what are you saying about the rest of the North given that Chilly has won the last 2 division titles?

I know, following any sort of logic on here sometimes is challenging. Maybe he doesnt like the looks of him or something.

The Leaper
01-26-2010, 10:02 PM
Favre's 5 INT's vs. St. Louis

I'd like to see Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Joe Montana...anyone...beat the Greatest Show on Turf in their own crib with Bill Schroeder and Antonio Freeman at WR. Sorry, but we simply didn't match up with STL there...hardly Favre's fault.

Mike Vick completely out playing Favre in Lambeau

If you'll remember...half our offensive starters were injured going into that game. Favre did play poorly and deserves criticism, but it wasn't like he choked away a certain win. Atlanta probably was the better team on the field that day, injuries considered.

Culpepper completely out playing Favre in Lambeau

That is probably the best example of a choke...although I think those two teams were very evenly matched, and beating the same team 3 times in a season is difficult.

Eli Manning out played Favre in the NFC Championship in Lambeau

Yeah, Favre made a horrible pass at the end that lost the game...but Eli certainly did not outplay Favre IMO. The Giants should have won the game by 20 points considering how lopsided that game was played. Favre kept GB in it with 2 TD passes on a wickedly cold day. Al Harris got torched by Burress...that's the matchup we got killed at.

heck even Hasselback out played Favre in the playoffs even though we "took the ball and scored" in OT.

What? Favre tossed for 319 yards and 0 INTs in that game. Hasselbeck certainly did not outplay him.

Favre was put in a position to succeed early in his career...and did so. Favre is not a cerebral QB like Manning or Montana. He needs a strong, capable HC to focus him and guide him. Holmgren was up to the task...Rhodes and Sherman clearly were not. McCarthy has the ability to be the kind of coach Favre needed...but lacked the experience as a first time HC without a strong coaching staff around him to gain Favre's complete respect IMO.

Favre is not the best big-game QB of all-time...but he's won plenty of big games, and is easily one of the top 10 QBs of all-time. So what's your point again? He's just a choker that somehow lucked his way into being a top ten all-time NFL QB??

The dude is 40...FRICKEN 40...and is still performing as well as guys almost half his age. Get off the guy's ass.

Gunakor
01-27-2010, 12:30 AM

This statement reminds me of the debate a couple seasons ago when MM was crowned Coach of the Year. Would Chilly have done a better job than MM this year if Tavaris Jackson was his starting QB for 18 games? Because the near consensus here was that MM was a beneficiary of having Favre at QB when he won that award. I wonder if this same logic applies to Childress this year as it did to MM following the 2007 season.

As far as Payton goes, I agree 100%. I think he's one of the finest coaches in the league. There aren't many better ones IMO, and MM certainly isn't one of them.

HowardRoark
01-27-2010, 06:50 AM
I think I think I agree with your post. I would take it a step further and posit that Brett has a Fear of Success. How can an 18 year veteran, first ballot Hall of Famer make those throws to keep himself (and team) out of Super Bowls?

As Joe Posnanski said in CNNSI:

Yes, I shouted "Run!" at the TV. It was a reflex. But, of course, Brett Favre did not run. He clearly had no intention of running. Instead, he attempted the single dumbest pass anyone can remember -- a rolling right, throwing left, cross-his-body back-to-the-middle-of-the-field pass, the sort of pass they teach you not to throw about 47 minutes after you are born.*

*First lesson: This is how you breast feed. Second lesson: Cry and someone will change your diaper. Third lesson: In the NFL, you don't throw across your body back into the middle of the field.

The play has been dissected to death already -- and rightfully so -- and there is no shortage of things Favre SHOULD HAVE DONE instead of throwing that pass. Hell, he could have stopped in the middle of the play and started doing an interpretive dance to protest the treatment of Conan O'Brien and THAT would have been smarter than what he did.

Up here in MN, they are circling the wagons around Brett and making sure everyone understands the loss wasn't his fault...it was all the other reasons. The bottom line is that Brett is the one who put the final nail in the coffin with his action. And this was not the first time.

Tarlam!
01-27-2010, 07:25 AM
One of the most respected posters on PR wrote to me and asked me to come and post again and I declined respectfully. My reason is simple: I don't like the way Joe treated a dispute I had with Mobb Deep and I decided this place was no longer "my home". So I moved out. I'm sure most of you are down with that as I am No regrets..

But I care a lot about PR. I was one of the first members here and I'm quite proud of what a bunch of renegades from JSO have been able to achieve.

So, I feel obliged to point out what a bunch of fucktards you have all become.

Every thread where someone just mentions Favre, it seems, goes to a Favre debate. This, despite the "one Favre thread" rule that we all agreed to.

It's time for you all to grow up - all of you.

sheepshead
01-27-2010, 07:36 AM
Ohhh no...

Bossman641
01-27-2010, 09:02 AM
I think Sean Payton is a good coach, but if that were the Packers playing Sunday and MM was calling the plays Payton did you know he would be getting ripped to shreds on this board right now. So while I think Payton is one of the better coaches, I'm not ready to say he is head and shoulders above MM.

mraynrand
01-27-2010, 09:11 AM
So, I feel obliged to point out what a bunch of fucktards you have all become.

You have fulfilled your obligation. Thanks for checking in. How 'bout them Colts? BOMNF

Smidgeon
01-27-2010, 10:14 AM
This statement reminds me of the debate a couple seasons ago when MM was crowned Coach of the Year. Would Chilly have done a better job than MM this year if Tavaris Jackson was his starting QB for 18 games?

Comparing Chilly to MM in this regard is interesting, especially since MM has shown an aptitude for coaching and developing QBs. I'm not commenting on who's the better HC (necessarily) with the following comment, but I think MM would have gotten more out of Tavaris Jackson than Chilly did.

Harlan Huckleby
01-27-2010, 02:08 PM
I think Chilly gets dumped on because of his unusual personality. Mike Lucas calls him Mr. Peabody. He's kinda quiet, tends to mumble.

He might have been a bit too conservative in his play calling at times, but what coach doesn't get accused of that?

swede
01-27-2010, 03:32 PM
I think Chilly gets dumped on because of his unusual personality. Mike Lucas calls him Mr. Peabody. He's kinda quiet, tends to mumble.

He might have been a bit too conservative in his play calling at times, but what coach doesn't get accused of that?

Coaches have to embrace who they are. Jim Tressel wears his little sweater-vest like the one my mom made me wear in the 1966 Christmas photograph. (Gee that Instamatic took nice pictures. Except for the demon eyes.) Bill Bellichik wears his hoodie. And Chilly...

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z236/dsteenswede44/340x_custom_1256994916893_childress.jpg

mraynrand
01-27-2010, 05:00 PM
http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/mraynrand/Chillylegs.jpg

mraynrand
01-27-2010, 05:04 PM

Mr. Peabody, eh? Perhaps there's some jealousy there because Peabody is smarter than Harlan Huckleby? Or perhaps you are a jilted lover?

http://peabodypics.bingodisk.com/public/pics/cc/peabody1.jpg

Tony Oday
01-27-2010, 06:47 PM
Chilli reminds me of Dante Culpepper. Has had the team around him since the start almost and has led them to exactly where they should be with the talent. I think a good coach actually gets MORE out of his team than what anyone else could do.

Gunakor
01-28-2010, 01:54 AM
This statement reminds me of the debate a couple seasons ago when MM was crowned Coach of the Year. Would Chilly have done a better job than MM this year if Tavaris Jackson was his starting QB for 18 games?

Comparing Chilly to MM in this regard is interesting, especially since MM has shown an aptitude for coaching and developing QBs. I'm not commenting on who's the better HC (necessarily) with the following comment, but I think MM would have gotten more out of Tavaris Jackson than Chilly did.

I absolutely agree with you Smidgeon, I was just posting this in response to the implication that Chilly did a better job than MM this year. It's not a defense of MM, as I am firmly entrenched in the anti-McCarthy mindset, but rather an attack on Childress. I think he's a garbage HC who got to a Championship Game riding the coattails of some extremely talented football players who would do what they do no matter who they played for or what plays were called. If you put MN's players in Black and Gold jerseys and put NO's players in the Purple and White jerseys and played that same NFC Championship Game the Saints still win. Because Brad Childress wasn't coaching the Saints that day.

I'll bet 90% of all Vikings fans in the world would agree with me that the REAL reason the Vikings lost that game was Brad Childress. And I'd have to agree with them, to be honest, because of what happened with about 15 seconds left in the game.

Had he played it like McCarthy would have, knowing he had Ryan Longwell as his FG kicker rather than Crosby, the Vikings win that game. 50 yard FG for the win. Mason misses that one, but Longwell makes it. Game over, see ya in Miami. McCarthy is coaching a Super Bowl team if he's the Vikings HC this year. Bank on it. So, no, I can't bring myself to believe that Childress is the better coach or even that he did a better job this season than McCarthy did. Simply a better record with a superior football team.

But, to be fair in response to your comment specifically, Chilly ended up getting more out of Brett Favre than McCarthy did.

Gunakor
01-28-2010, 02:12 AM

He doesn't recognize the situation well enough. Yeah, he's been accused (rightly so) of being too conservative at times. But with about 15 seconds left in regulation and his team in Longwell FG range he puts his conservative tendencies aside when the situation called for him to be conservative. This after presiding over a 12 men in the huddle penalty that couldn't be blamed on anybody other than the coach. And his team lost a pretty big game as a result. Chilly gets a bad rap because he's a horrible coach. Worse than McCarthy.

And I'm no McCarthy fan.

hoosier
01-28-2010, 08:06 AM

He doesn't recognize the situation well enough. Yeah, he's been accused (rightly so) of being too conservative at times. But with about 15 seconds left in regulation and his team in Longwell FG range he puts his conservative tendencies aside when the situation called for him to be conservative. This after presiding over a 12 men in the huddle penalty that couldn't be blamed on anybody other than the coach. And his team lost a pretty big game as a result. Chilly gets a bad rap because he's a horrible coach. Worse than McCarthy.

And I'm no McCarthy fan.

This postseason has been pretty rough on kickers. And don't forget that after the penalty the Vikings were not at the 32 or 33, they had been moved back to the 37-38. That is no longer a high percentage FG att. The penalty is what started things off on the wrong track, not Chilly's playcalling. And who was to blame for the penalty? Was it the guy in charge of calling sub packages? Or did one of the players simply fail to notice that he was supposed to be off the field? Finally, something that nobody has discussed so far: as the Vikings were breaking the huddle Favre tried to call a timeout. The officials didn't give it to him because they were in the process of callling a penalty for 12 men. But if there hadn't been 12 men in the huddle that would have been a penalty on Favre for trying to call consecutive timeouts. (Unless he only tried to call timeout to avoid a too-many-men penalty.)

I would bet almost anything that on third down from the NO33 the Vikings were going to run it up the gut. But on third down from the NO38 a run play that gains nothing leaves them a bit short of Longwell's comfort zone.

Harlan Huckleby
01-28-2010, 09:25 AM
This postseason has been pretty rough on kickers.

Good. Field goals suck. If I were a coach I wouldn't kick them from outside the 25 yard line. And maybe never until the last 5 minutes of the game.

A chance at 3 points is not worth the risk of giving your opponent the ball in good field position. Bad coaches adjust their play calling with the field goal option in mind once they cross mid field.

pbmax
01-28-2010, 09:42 AM

And I'm no McCarthy fan.
Not quite. Longwell told the coaches he was good from 53 yards and they were looking at 55. Their runs had gotten them little during that drive. The 12 man huddle is inexcusable, but they needed to advance the ball after that.

Smidgeon
01-28-2010, 10:06 AM
But, to be fair in response to your comment specifically, Chilly ended up getting more out of Brett Favre than McCarthy did.

Umm, did you watch the 2007 season? Favre had his best statistical season since his MVP years and did it without a consistent running game half the year. For the first half of this year, opponents were still keying in on Adrian Peterson first.

But being that I really don't want to participate in a Favre debate, I'm stopping there.

Gunakor
01-28-2010, 05:12 PM

Umm, did you watch the 2007 season? Favre had his best statistical season since his MVP years and did it without a consistent running game half the year. For the first half of this year, opponents were still keying in on Adrian Peterson first.

But being that I really don't want to participate in a Favre debate, I'm stopping there.

I did watch it. And this year, statistically, he had his best season of his career. Read it however you'd like.