PDA

View Full Version : OT Anthony Davis Rutgers

rbaloha1
01-26-2010, 10:53 AM
The Great Blue North Report projects Anthony Davis to the Packers in round one.

What is the 411 on this dude.

gbgary
01-26-2010, 11:06 AM
don't know but i think we need to go D in the first round.

Smidgeon
01-26-2010, 11:30 AM
don't know but i think we to go D in the first round.

Even if someone like Spiller or Best or Baluga or Brown (providing their stock doesn't drop dramatically due to something uncovered in the process) is available at #23?

rbaloha1
01-26-2010, 11:30 AM

Okay what prospects are available at this slot? Taylor Mays? Brandon Spikes? McClain

Harlan Huckleby
01-26-2010, 11:36 AM

LT's come in the first round. The Packers have extreme need at tackle, unless you were thinking of grooming Allen Barbre. :shock:

Lurker64
01-26-2010, 11:44 AM
Anthony Davis is a mountain of a man,6'5" ~325 lbs with a great wingspan. He's one of the best run blockers of the OT group this year, as he's strong and plays with great leverage.

I don't know if he's the sort of pick we'd want since the tradeoff for all that that size and strength is that he sacrifices a bit in terms of athleticism. He really had an inconsistent season this last year and regularly was getting beaten by the speed rush.

I don't have him super high on my list for the Packers, as he's the sort of guy that in about 2 years if he can get his weight down and get quicker, he could be great, but I don't see him contributing much in a hurry.

Maryland OT Bruce Campbell seems like a better late first OT pick for Thompson: somewhat inexperienced with durability concerns, but a truly rare athlete for his size.

Smidgeon
01-26-2010, 11:44 AM

LT's come in the first round. The Packers have extreme need at tackle, unless you were thinking of grooming Allen Barbre. :shock:

Worthy LTs come in the first 5-10 picks. They're as rare as good QBs. There's a shot a good one will fall a la Oher last year or Rodgers in 2005 (as long as we're keeping the QB rarity comparison).

I guess it'd depend on TT's determination whether they can get one worthwhile at #23 or if that would be a reach for whoever's left on the board.

gbgary
01-26-2010, 12:00 PM

Okay what prospects are available at this slot? Taylor Mays? Brandon Spikes? McClain

ok...don't be to hard on me as i pay little to no attention to college ball but i have heard taylor mays is a special player. in fact i mentioned him in the first post but deleted that portion. heard he's ed reed-like and could play safety or linebacker. thoughts.

mission
01-26-2010, 12:05 PM
if anything i'd like to take the guard from idaho... iputai or whatever...

heard some scouts think he can play all 5 spots and at 6'6" 330, he's the closest bet to larry allen that the league has had since maybe hutch

swede
01-26-2010, 12:07 PM
ok...don't be to hard on me as i pay little to no attention to college ball but i have heard taylor mays is a special player. in fact i mentioned him in the first post but deleted that portion. heard he's ed reed-like and could play safety or linebacker. thoughts.

I don't think he's a likely pick for us. I'm hearing he's a great college player but won't have the fluid athleticism required of NFL defensive backs. That makes one think of Aaron Rouse more than Ed Reed.

gbgary
01-26-2010, 12:10 PM

heard some scouts think he can play all 5 spots and at 6'6" 330, he's the closest bet to larry allen that the league has had since maybe hutch

sounds good. on a side note...when i hear larry allen i always think of reggie tossing him aside with one arm. LOL

mission
01-26-2010, 12:22 PM

sounds good. on a side note...when i hear larry allen i always think of reggie tossing him aside with one arm. LOL

that was great!

no sacks and 5 pressures on 807 snaps this season... RT? Lang at LG...

who knows... this is going to be a crapshoot draft i think. so many options where we sit.

EDIT: The Sporting News′ Russ Lande reported that "nearly every scout who has evaluated Iupati on film says he has the footwork and athleticism to be an NFL left tackle." Mike Mayock agrees and said he has the ability to be drafted in the latter end of the 1st round as a left tackle.

Comment from youtube.

mission
01-26-2010, 12:23 PM

I don't think he's a likely pick for us. I'm hearing he's a great college player but won't have the fluid athleticism required of NFL defensive backs. That makes one think of Aaron Rouse more than Ed Reed.

yup... a bigger, faster aaron rouse with less ball skills.

dude only had 4 picks his entire college career.

red
01-26-2010, 05:04 PM

Worthy LTs come in the first 5-10 picks. They're as rare as good QBs. There's a shot a good one will fall a la Oher last year or Rodgers in 2005 (as long as we're keeping the QB rarity comparison).

I guess it'd depend on TT's determination whether they can get one worthwhile at #23 or if that would be a reach for whoever's left on the board.

this statement is so flat out wrong, i don't know where to begin to talk about how false this is

Smidgeon
01-26-2010, 05:12 PM

this statement is so flat out wrong, i don't know where to begin to talk about how false this is

Well please start somewhere.

Lurker64
01-26-2010, 05:51 PM

Left tackles who are elite, and will play the position for a decade, make numerous pro bowls, and have a shot at the pro bowl, are top 10 picks. I'm talking guys like Orlando Pace (in his prime), Johnathon Ogden, and Anthony Muñoz. Joe Thomas has a shot to be another guy like this, but Cleveland is terribly dysfunctional. When you see a guy who has a chance to be like that, you do what it takes to get him.

On the other hand, most NFL players are not hall of famers at their respective positions, and serviceable NFL starting left tackles often come from the second round or the late first.

Examples

Peyton Manning's blindside protector, Tony Ugoh, was a second round pick (#42). Drew Brees will be protected by a fourth round pick in the superbowl (Jermon Bushrod). Sebastian Vollmer, a second round pick(#58), started a bunch of the games this year as the Patriots Left Tackle as a rookie, filling in for another second round draft pick LT Matt Light (#48). The Falcons drafted Matt Ryan's left tackle, Sam Baker, at #21 in the first round and he's played reasonably well when healthy. The Baltimore Ravens drafted Michael Oher at #23 to be their left tackle of the future, but the only games he played at LT this year were filling in for an injured Jared Gaither who was a fifth round pick. The Chargers left tackle, Marcus McNeill, was the 50th overall pick in the second round. The Cardinals had some issues at left tackle this year, as they had to replace Mike Gandy (a 3rd round pick) with Jeremy Bridges, who was a sixth round pick. The Bengals played Andrew Whitworth (a 2nd round pick, #55) and Anthony Collins (a fourth round pick, #112), at left tackle this year. You can go on and on like that. You don't need to spend a top 10 pick on a left tackle in order to be able to protect your QB's blind side.

red
01-26-2010, 05:54 PM

23-micheal oher
39-eben britton

12-ryan clady
14- chris williams
15-brandan albert
17-gosder cherilus
21- sam baker
26- duane brown

26- joe staley
42- tony ugoh

39- winston justice
50- marcus mcneil

pbmax
01-26-2010, 07:11 PM
Chad Clifton - 13th pick, Round 2 (#44 overall)

Bretsky
01-26-2010, 08:54 PM

RED

You know what's going to happen, don't ya ?

Spiller is a fallin; he'll somehow drop to us on draft day and we'll be licking our chops

TT will take the OL

gbgary
01-26-2010, 10:03 PM

RED

You know what's going to happen, don't ya ?

Spiller is a fallin; he'll somehow drop to us on draft day and we'll be licking our chops

TT will take the OL

:( probably. not sexy but a great need. another back somewhere in this draft would be good.

Lurker64
01-26-2010, 10:36 PM
Remember, there's a lot of good RBs that will be available in round 3 or later. Just because we don't take a C.J. Spiller or Johnathon Dwyer in the first, doesn't mean we can't land a Dexter McCluster, a Ryan Mathews, a Montario Hardesty, a Toby Gerhart, a Stafon Johnson, or a LeGarrette Blount in the third. Though Matthews will probably go in the second, crazier things will happen.

Jahvid Best would also be a second round possibility if he falls.

Smidgeon
01-27-2010, 09:48 AM

Left tackles who are elite, and will play the position for a decade, make numerous pro bowls, and have a shot at the pro bowl, are top 10 picks. I'm talking guys like Orlando Pace (in his prime), Johnathon Ogden, and Anthony Muñoz. Joe Thomas has a shot to be another guy like this, but Cleveland is terribly dysfunctional. When you see a guy who has a chance to be like that, you do what it takes to get him.

On the other hand, most NFL players are not hall of famers at their respective positions, and serviceable NFL starting left tackles often come from the second round or the late first.

Examples

Peyton Manning's blindside protector, Tony Ugoh, was a second round pick (#42). Drew Brees will be protected by a fourth round pick in the superbowl (Jermon Bushrod). Sebastian Vollmer, a second round pick(#58), started a bunch of the games this year as the Patriots Left Tackle as a rookie, filling in for another second round draft pick LT Matt Light (#48). The Falcons drafted Matt Ryan's left tackle, Sam Baker, at #21 in the first round and he's played reasonably well when healthy. The Baltimore Ravens drafted Michael Oher at #23 to be their left tackle of the future, but the only games he played at LT this year were filling in for an injured Jared Gaither who was a fifth round pick. The Chargers left tackle, Marcus McNeill, was the 50th overall pick in the second round. The Cardinals had some issues at left tackle this year, as they had to replace Mike Gandy (a 3rd round pick) with Jeremy Bridges, who was a sixth round pick. The Bengals played Andrew Whitworth (a 2nd round pick, #55) and Anthony Collins (a fourth round pick, #112), at left tackle this year. You can go on and on like that. You don't need to spend a top 10 pick on a left tackle in order to be able to protect your QB's blind side.

I agree that serviceable LTs can be found all over. Serviceable QBs are as well (although to a much smaller extent). By "worthy" LTs, I was referencing the type you can put on an island and not worry about. Much like a QB you can trust to not lose games and occasionally pull out a win that shouldn't have been there. Yeah, GB can get by with any LT as long as they have a RB or TE on that side to chip. I'm not looking for one of those. One of those LTs is not someone that I get excited about. One of those LTs I'll always be waiting to have replaced (some sooner than others).

Now don't read any of that to be an indictment on any of the players specifically mentioned. I haven't watched them play. Maybe tackles are harder to project in the NFL (*cough*Mandarich*cough*) or need more coaching to develop right. I don't know. What I do know is that those stud LTs, the ones I called "worthy", are as rare as stud QBs.