PDA

View Full Version : Kiper's 'Grade A' DraftAfter his Round 1 mock, Mel assessess

Brandon494
01-26-2010, 04:31 PM
Found this on another message board, here is the link if you want to look at some other teams http://life.atlantafalcons.com/topic/3883224-kipers-grade-a-draft-after-his-round-1-mock/

If we got Taylor Mays and Ryan Matthews with our first two picks I will be very pleased. Also Ive heard some good things about Vladimir Ducasse from UMASS so I wouldnt mind grabbing him if he is still there in the 2nd round.

Green Bay Packers
Top needs: OT, S, RB, LB, CB
First round (23): S Taylor Mays
Second-round options (56): OT/G Vladimir Ducasse, , OT Selvish Capers, RB Ryan Mathews, RB Joe McKnight,
Third-round options (86): RB Montario Hardesty, LB Patrick Angerer, OT Kyle Calloway, CB Trevard Lindley
Summary: Need meets value in Round 1 when the Packers solve a problem in the secondary by getting the maligned but undeniably talented Taylor Mays, who showed some caution this year both in coverage and as a tackler, but didn't get a lot of help from a very young USC defense. The Packers need to continue to build the offensive line because Aaron Rodgers was under too much pressure this year, but I also think they want to add depth and talent to the RB position. And you never have too many talented LBs in the 3-4 Dom Capers has installed.

packers11
01-26-2010, 04:37 PM
Kiper needs help if he thinks we need LB help over CB help...We have way more LB depth than CB depth...

But I do indeed like his first pick... Mays probably wouldn't start but Bigby getting hurt mid-season (as usual) will give Mays his chance to shine...

Lurker64
01-26-2010, 04:42 PM
Kiper needs help if he thinks we need LB help over CB help...We have way more LB depth than CB depth...

I would say that need 1A is LT, and need 1B is LOLB. Brad Jones is okay, I guess, but you really want a good tandem of OLBs who can rush the passer.

Keep in mind that next year, adding to our mediocre group of backup CBs behind Williams and Woodson will be Al Harris, Pat Lee, and Will Blackmon.

I would say our primary needs are LT and LOLB, and our secondary needs are RB and S.

HarveyWallbangers
01-26-2010, 05:14 PM
Personally, I'd say OT and CB are the biggest needs.

RashanGary
01-26-2010, 06:29 PM

Agreed!!

rbaloha1
01-26-2010, 06:37 PM
Taylor Mays = Steve Atwater

pbmax
01-26-2010, 07:03 PM
Not a draftnik. But what I have read of him since the 09 season started is that Pro teams fear that:

Taylor Mays = Roy Williams

pbmax
01-26-2010, 07:05 PM

Agreed!!
Pass rush is as important an upgrade as coverage. Only one guy to fear (Matthews) and one other capable guy (Jenkins). Pash rush needs help.

rbaloha1
01-26-2010, 07:28 PM
Not a draftnik. But what I have read of him since the 09 season started is that Pro teams fear that:

Watch Mays play in 08. The dude had injuries which caused tackling problems in 09. If recovered Mays is a steal for the Packers.

Lurker64
01-26-2010, 08:21 PM
I've never seen an injury cause an unwillingness to take a proper angle or tackle with sound fundamentals.

The Leaper
01-26-2010, 08:24 PM
Taylor Mays doesn't impress me...he's the same as Bigby and Collins IMO, albeit perhaps a little more talented. He's a big hitting safety who is somewhat of a liability in coverage.

We need some DBs who can COVER somebody. If you want them to play the run, turn them into LBs.

The Leaper
01-26-2010, 08:28 PM
I would say that need 1A is LT, and need 1B is LOLB.

We do need another pass rushing OLB...but we can take a flier on an undersized, speed DE in the 4th-6th round for that. We don't need to spend a high round pick on a LB.

KYPack
01-26-2010, 08:49 PM
Taylor Mays doesn't impress me...he's the same as Bigby and Collins IMO, albeit perhaps a little more talented. He's a big hitting safety who is somewhat of a liability in coverage.

We need some DBs who can COVER somebody. If you want them to play the run, turn them into LBs.

Yes, Leap. We need a cover guy that can hit. Not a skinny LB trying to cover. Who in your (or anybodies) opinion is the best cover safety in the draft?

Bossman641
01-26-2010, 08:53 PM

This doesn't make sense to me at all. Collins and Bigby have completely different skill sets. If we could get a Collins clone with our 1st round pick I would take that in a second.

The Leaper
01-26-2010, 09:15 PM
KY...

Best safety on the board is obviously Berry from Tennessee. The kid is the complete package, and projects to being a Pro Bowl caliber safety down the road. He's a guaranteed top 10 pick, probable top 5 pick.

I really like Morgan Burnett from Georgia Tech. He displayed a good nose for the football in college. He put up some very good numbers over 3 years for GT (235 tackles, 14 INTs) and he has the versatility to really play any DB position at the next level...but he projects best as a coverage safety. He probably would be available at our 2nd round pick.

Other guys I like...Nate Allen from S Florida, Earl Thomas from Texas. Allen is probably a 2nd-3rd round guy...I don't think he is quite as polished as Burnett, but he's a little more athletically gifted. Thomas is a good prospect, but he's a little on the short side (5-10) and I'm not a huge fan of smallish safeties in today's NFL.

The Leaper
01-26-2010, 09:21 PM
This doesn't make sense to me at all. Collins and Bigby have completely different skill sets. If we could get a Collins clone with our 1st round pick I would take that in a second.

Collins is way better than Bigby...I'll give you that without hesitation. I was more speaking to how both of them came into Green Bay...neither were strong coverage guys. Collins has developed himself into a capable coverage safety, although he can disappear at times. Bigby looks like he's always going to be inept in coverage.

gbgary
01-26-2010, 09:40 PM

if we got him i'd be hoping the steve atwater version. roy williams sucks.

digitaldean
01-26-2010, 10:12 PM

I agree Leaper. The games I saw him in, he took horrible angles. He can hit like a son of a gun, but if he can't cover that well I wouldn't spend a first on him.

Lurker64
01-26-2010, 10:21 PM
This is a great year for safeties, so there's really no reason to take a guy like Taylor Mays with our 1 when we can land a guy like Myron Rolle, Kam Chancellor, or Major Wright in the second, third, or fourth.

No need to spend a first round pick on the third best safety in the draft (behind Berry and Texas's Earl Thomas).

Brandon494
01-26-2010, 10:33 PM

Watch Mays play in 08. The dude had injuries which caused tackling problems in 09. If recovered Mays is a steal for the Packers.

Just thought about what you said about Mays looking a lot better in 08, thinking maybe that it had more to do with him playing with stud LBs in Matthews, Cushing, and Rey Rey. Maybe without that pass rush he had in 08 Taylor showed he is more of a liability in pass coverage. Saying that this guy was a top 10 talent in last years draft and suffered a few injuries in 09. Getting him at 23 would be a pretty solid pickup IMO.

mission
01-26-2010, 10:51 PM
Mays runs 4.3-4.4 ... Roy Williams was never fast.

He's just known for flying over the OL on that one play against Texas ...

TM still ain't the guy. I would not be happy. At least not in this years draft.

DannoMac21
01-27-2010, 02:29 AM
I'd be very pleased with Taylor Mays. Dude would've been a top 5 pick had he come out last year. Eric Berry's just a once in a decade safety talent and shines above Mays. Mays is a great football player and those USC defensive players shine in the NFL. Put him behind Clay again.

packrulz
01-27-2010, 05:39 AM
Scout.com's 2010 draft rankings have Mays rated higher that Iowa OT Bulaga, I still think I'd rather draft Bulaga, stud LT's are very hard to find after round one, if he's still there.
Page 1 >>
Pos Overall
Rank Rating Name Yr Ht/Wt/40 College Home
DT 1 Ndamukong Suh SR 6-4/300/- Nebraska Portland, OR
S 2 Eric Berry JR 5-11/195/- Tennessee Fairburn, GA
QB 3 Sam Bradford JR 6-5/197/- Oklahoma Oklahoma City, OK
QB 4 Jimmy Clausen JR 6-3/223/- Notre Dame Westlake Village, CA
DT 5 Gerald McCoy JR 6-4/289/- Oklahoma Oklahoma City, OK
OT 6 Russell Okung SR 6-5/300/- Oklahoma State Richmond, TX
CB 7 Joe Haden JR 5-11/190/- Florida Fort Washington, MD
MLB 8 Rolando McClain JR 6-4/255/- Alabama Decatur, AL
RB 9 C.J. Spiller SR 5-11/195/- Clemson Lake Butler, FL
WR 10 Dez Bryant JR 6-2/210/- Oklahoma State Lufkin, TX
DE 11 Derrick Morgan JR 6-4/275/- Georgia Tech Coatesville, PA
OT 12 Trent Williams SR 6-5/290/- Oklahoma Longview, TX
OT 13 Anthony Davis JR 6-6/325/- Rutgers Piscataway, NJ
DE 14 Carlos Dunlap JR 6-6/290/- Florida North Charleston, SC
DE 15 Everson Griffen JR 6-3/265/- USC Avondale, AZ
S 16 Taylor Mays SR 6-3/235/- USC Seattle, WA
OT 17 Bryan Bulaga JR 6-6/290/- Iowa Woodstock, IL
S 18 Earl Thomas SO 5-10/190/- Texas Orange, TX
TE 19 Aaron Hernandez JR 6-2/250/- Florida Bristol, CT
WR 20 Golden Tate JR 5-11/195/- Notre Dame Hendersonville, TN
DT 21 Dan Williams SR 6-3/305/- Tennessee Memphis, TN
DE 22 Jason Pierre-Paul JR 6-5/265/- South Florida Deerfield Beach, FL
RB 23 Jonathan Dwyer JR 6-0/235/- Georgia Tech Marietta, GA
MLB 24 Brandon Spikes SR 6-3/258/- Florida Shelby, NC
OLB 25 Brandon Graham SR 6-2/268/- Michigan Detroit, MI
DT 26 Brian Price JR 6-1/270/- UCLA Los Angeles, CA
DE 27 Corey Wootton SR 6-6/275/- Northwestern Ramsey, NJ
TE 28 Jermaine Gresham SR 6-6/250/- Oklahoma Ardmore, OK
RB 29 Jahvid Best JR 5-10/185/- California Richmond, CA
OLB 30 Navorro Bowman JR 6-1/230/- Penn State Forestville, MD
CB 31 Patrick Robinson SR 5-11/182/- Florida State Miami, FL
DT 32 Jared Odrick SR 6-5/291/- Penn State Lebanon, PA

Patler
01-27-2010, 08:37 AM
If that list has Clausen as the 4th best player in the draft, I have to question it.

Lurker64
01-27-2010, 10:18 AM
If that list has Clausen as the 4th best player in the draft, I have to question it.

I think that's a mock draft, not a big board (or at least some bastard amalgam of the two). While Clausen probably isn't one of the ten best players in the draft, he's very likely to go in the top 10 anyway.

Sparkey
01-27-2010, 12:40 PM
Found this on another message board, here is the link if you want to look at some other teams http://life.atlantafalcons.com/topic/3883224-kipers-grade-a-draft-after-his-round-1-mock/

If we got Taylor Mays and Ryan Matthews with our first two picks I will be very pleased. Also Ive heard some good things about Vladimir Ducasse from UMASS so I wouldnt mind grabbing him if he is still there in the 2nd round.

Green Bay Packers
Top needs: OT, S, RB, LB, CB
First round (23): S Taylor Mays
Second-round options (56): OT/G Vladimir Ducasse, , OT Selvish Capers, RB Ryan Mathews, RB Joe McKnight,
Third-round options (86): RB Montario Hardesty, LB Patrick Angerer, OT Kyle Calloway, CB Trevard Lindley
Summary: Need meets value in Round 1 when the Packers solve a problem in the secondary by getting the maligned but undeniably talented Taylor Mays, who showed some caution this year both in coverage and as a tackler, but didn't get a lot of help from a very young USC defense. The Packers need to continue to build the offensive line because Aaron Rodgers was under too much pressure this year, but I also think they want to add depth and talent to the RB position. And you never have too many talented LBs in the 3-4 Dom Capers has installed.

I think I would puke in my mouth a little if the packers draft Mays. There are far better players than him that will be available.

DannoMac21
01-27-2010, 01:35 PM
Scout.com's 2010 draft rankings have Mays rated higher that Iowa OT Bulaga, I still think I'd rather draft Bulaga, stud LT's are very hard to find after round one, if he's still there.
Page 1 >>
Pos Overall
Rank Rating Name Yr Ht/Wt/40 College Home
DT 1 Ndamukong Suh SR 6-4/300/- Nebraska Portland, OR
S 2 Eric Berry JR 5-11/195/- Tennessee Fairburn, GA
QB 3 Sam Bradford JR 6-5/197/- Oklahoma Oklahoma City, OK
QB 4 Jimmy Clausen JR 6-3/223/- Notre Dame Westlake Village, CA
DT 5 Gerald McCoy JR 6-4/289/- Oklahoma Oklahoma City, OK
OT 6 Russell Okung SR 6-5/300/- Oklahoma State Richmond, TX
CB 7 Joe Haden JR 5-11/190/- Florida Fort Washington, MD
MLB 8 Rolando McClain JR 6-4/255/- Alabama Decatur, AL
RB 9 C.J. Spiller SR 5-11/195/- Clemson Lake Butler, FL
WR 10 Dez Bryant JR 6-2/210/- Oklahoma State Lufkin, TX
DE 11 Derrick Morgan JR 6-4/275/- Georgia Tech Coatesville, PA
OT 12 Trent Williams SR 6-5/290/- Oklahoma Longview, TX
OT 13 Anthony Davis JR 6-6/325/- Rutgers Piscataway, NJ
DE 14 Carlos Dunlap JR 6-6/290/- Florida North Charleston, SC
DE 15 Everson Griffen JR 6-3/265/- USC Avondale, AZ
S 16 Taylor Mays SR 6-3/235/- USC Seattle, WA
OT 17 Bryan Bulaga JR 6-6/290/- Iowa Woodstock, IL
S 18 Earl Thomas SO 5-10/190/- Texas Orange, TX
TE 19 Aaron Hernandez JR 6-2/250/- Florida Bristol, CT
WR 20 Golden Tate JR 5-11/195/- Notre Dame Hendersonville, TN
DT 21 Dan Williams SR 6-3/305/- Tennessee Memphis, TN
DE 22 Jason Pierre-Paul JR 6-5/265/- South Florida Deerfield Beach, FL
RB 23 Jonathan Dwyer JR 6-0/235/- Georgia Tech Marietta, GA
MLB 24 Brandon Spikes SR 6-3/258/- Florida Shelby, NC
OLB 25 Brandon Graham SR 6-2/268/- Michigan Detroit, MI
DT 26 Brian Price JR 6-1/270/- UCLA Los Angeles, CA
DE 27 Corey Wootton SR 6-6/275/- Northwestern Ramsey, NJ
TE 28 Jermaine Gresham SR 6-6/250/- Oklahoma Ardmore, OK
RB 29 Jahvid Best JR 5-10/185/- California Richmond, CA
OLB 30 Navorro Bowman JR 6-1/230/- Penn State Forestville, MD
CB 31 Patrick Robinson SR 5-11/182/- Florida State Miami, FL
DT 32 Jared Odrick SR 6-5/291/- Penn State Lebanon, PA

Yeah Jimmy Claussen above McCoy, Okung, and Haden has me scratching my head.

KYPack
01-28-2010, 02:09 PM
KY...

Best safety on the board is obviously Berry from Tennessee. The kid is the complete package, and projects to being a Pro Bowl caliber safety down the road. He's a guaranteed top 10 pick, probable top 5 pick.

I really like Morgan Burnett from Georgia Tech. He displayed a good nose for the football in college. He put up some very good numbers over 3 years for GT (235 tackles, 14 INTs) and he has the versatility to really play any DB position at the next level...but he projects best as a coverage safety. He probably would be available at our 2nd round pick.

Other guys I like...Nate Allen from S Florida, Earl Thomas from Texas. Allen is probably a 2nd-3rd round guy...I don't think he is quite as polished as Burnett, but he's a little more athletically gifted. Thomas is a good prospect, but he's a little on the short side (5-10) and I'm not a huge fan of smallish safeties in today's NFL.

Christ, I forgot Eric Berry is in the draft!. A great S. Complete player, cover and an enforcer. He only needed 15 int return yards to set the NCAA record this season. He got 7. Terrell Buckly still has the record. We won't sniff him. Many compare him with Ed Reed. That kid is the real deal.

Mish, do you have a report on Burnett?

After all, you are our GT reporter.

KYPack
01-28-2010, 02:29 PM
Mays is stinking it up in the Senior Bowl work-outs. Appears to have been hitting the weights, but is defintely out of shape. Looks lost in sophisticated covers and is coming off like a cocky ass in the interviews.

A guy surprising people is Nebraska S Larry Asante. He's average in cover, but a thumper. Some scouts see him as the poor man's Chuck Cecil. Average speed, but the kid really cools 'em when he hits 'em.

steve823
01-28-2010, 04:32 PM
How is Iupati not there? He was so good at Guard in his workouts they tried him Tackle. He's a monster and I would guess would be taken in the top 15-20..if not I would LOVE to take him and say good riddance to Colledge.

Think about it..our guards would be Iupati and Sitton ..nasty.

red
01-28-2010, 04:46 PM
How is Iupati not there? He was so good at Guard in his workouts they tried him Tackle. He's a monster and I would guess would be taken in the top 15-20..if not I would LOVE to take him and say good riddance to Colledge.

guards rarely if ever go high in the draft like the first round, if they do its usually at the very end of the round

just like you'll never see a center or fullback taken in the first

Bretsky
01-28-2010, 04:55 PM

guards rarely if ever go high in the draft like the first round, if they do its usually at the very end of the round

NICK MANGOLD ??

Joemailman
01-28-2010, 05:04 PM

Iupati may be the exception, especially because he may be the rare college Guard who could play tackle. Regardless of where he plays, he is good enough to warrant a 1st round pick. Iupati, Lang and Sitton could give us the OL we've been looking for for years to come.

red
01-28-2010, 05:06 PM

NICK MANGOLD ??

shut up

ass

steve823
01-28-2010, 05:07 PM

NICK MANGOLD ??

Exacly. If this guy is anywhere near Mangold's level its worth it. I've been watching a lot of video on him while I was in some lectures(got bored lol) and he's impressive. He's a class act too and would be a "packer person". IMO its worth getting a franchise G for your o-line with our 1st round pick... especially if there are only mediocre Tackles left. We are towards the end so it's possible.

Bretsky
01-28-2010, 05:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb-chWh64Dc

red
01-28-2010, 05:37 PM
and if the jets would have played by the unwritten rules and not drafted mangold in the first, then we would have been able to draft him in the top of the 2nd like i wanted at the time

we could have kept the #5 pick in the second, pick mangold, and instead of taking colledge at 47 , we take jennings (5 spots higher then where we took him anyways)

but the jets screwed all that up

i'm fine taking lupati at #23, i was just saying to whoever thought he would be gone by then that history doesn't tell us that he'll be gone before 23

Bretsky
01-28-2010, 05:40 PM
and if the jets would have played by the unwritten rules and not drafted mangold in the first, then we would have been able to draft him in the top of the 2nd like i wanted at the time

we could have kept the #5 pick in the second, pick mangold, and instead of taking colledge at 47 , we take jennings (5 spots higher then where we took him anyways)

i'm fine taking lupati at #23, i was just saying to whoever thought he would be gone by then that history doesn't tell us that he'll be gone before 23

Time for you to jump on the McCluster Train ! Just think of al the puns we could come up with.

You've been Clusterfk.....

Joemailman
01-28-2010, 05:42 PM
How long will it take for that guy to have a marketing deal with McDonalds?

red
01-28-2010, 05:44 PM

Time for you to jump on the McCluster Train ! Just think of al the puns we could come up with.

i can just picture him running in circles, running backwards and fumbling the ball while falling down

"man, what a McClusterf**k"

Bretsky
01-28-2010, 05:46 PM

i can just picture him running in circles, running backwards and fumbling the ball while falling down

"man, what a McClusterf**k"

We ain't getting Spiller Red

Time for the Backup Plan

All hail the Cluster :!:

red
01-28-2010, 05:49 PM
yeah, there's no chance at spiller anymore

mclovin would be a decent replacement

he fits that little fact change of pace back i want.

can he catch?

edit: nvm, he started as a WR. yeah, he'd be the type i'm looking for

what are we talking about for him? 2nd, 3rd round?

mission
01-28-2010, 07:11 PM

can he catch?

yes... i guess he's lighting up senior bowl with over the shoulder grabs and all sorts of stuff.

ive been talking about dex in some of the cj spiller discussion... watched him 4-5 times this year. you'd be surprised how tough he is.

3rd-4th round they're saying but that could continue to rise

Lurker64
01-28-2010, 07:53 PM
The thing about McCluster is that he's TINY. He's 5'7 and 165 lbs, which is monstrously tiny for an NFL player. He is, however, tough as nails and has great speed and burst.

But conventional wisdom rules the draft, as teams don't tend to learn quickly. But I suspect he'll fall for the same reason that guys like DeSean Jackson and Darren Sproles fell: "he's just not big enough for a football player".

Barring something highly unexpected happening, the team that wants him the most can have him in the third round, and he'll probably go in the fourth.

Bretsky
01-28-2010, 08:02 PM

can he catch?

He's projected as a 3rd but not a late 3rd so gotta hope he falls a bit. I doubt TT would take this type of player round two

Bretsky
01-28-2010, 08:04 PM
The thing about McCluster is that he's TINY. He's 5'7 and 165 lbs, which is monstrously tiny for an NFL player. He is, however, tough as nails and has great speed and burst.

But conventional wisdom rules the draft, as teams don't tend to learn quickly. But I suspect he'll fall for the same reason that guys like DeSean Jackson and Darren Sproles fell: "he's just not big enough for a football player".

Barring something highly unexpected happening, the team that wants him the most can have him in the third round, and he'll probably go in the fourth.

Late 3rd, to the Green Bay Packers :!:

The Leaper
04-23-2010, 08:29 PM

Getting him in the 3rd was a steal IMO. For once, Thompson listened to my rants about getting a safety with some ballhawk skills.

mission
04-23-2010, 09:56 PM

Getting him in the 3rd was a steal IMO. For once, Thompson listened to my rants about getting a safety with some ballhawk skills.

awesome pick... a few of us have been sayin it for awhile now :D

rbaloha1
04-23-2010, 09:59 PM

awesome pick... a few of us have been sayin it for awhile now :D

The next Darren Sharper.

pbmax
04-23-2010, 10:31 PM
Leaper should get a plaque for that call on Burnett. That was channeling the GM. Unlike me, who thought the only sure thing out of the first two rounds would be a pass rushing OLB.