PDA

View Full Version : Kurt Warner Expected To Retire

Joemailman
01-27-2010, 04:42 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/The_Trenches/entry/view/53514/report-kurt-warner-to-announce-future-plans-on-friday

Press conference tomorrow. Thanks Kurt. Rip our hearts out and then retire.

Brandon494
01-27-2010, 06:55 PM
I could have told you that after that hit he took in the Saints game.

Hall of Famer IMO

Scott Campbell
01-27-2010, 07:10 PM
Classy guy. Hung in the pocket as tough as anyone I've ever watched.

Fritz
01-27-2010, 08:01 PM
I never bought the hall of fame arguments before, but I don't know if I've ever seen a QB play a better game than the one he played against the Pack in the playoffs. The guy had open receivers, sure, but I don't think he ever really misfired. Amazing.

Tip of the cap to that guy. Wow.

gbgary
01-27-2010, 09:56 PM
as great as he is, he's still under-rated.

MichiganPackerFan
01-28-2010, 09:26 AM
Disagree about his greatness: in Stl he stood behind one of the all-time best offenses. I could have made the throws he did. He had 3 good seasons there then disappeared for half of the decade only to have a 3 more good seasons with Arizona. Only started more than 75% of the games 5 times in 12 seasons and broken 3000 yards 6 times. Exceeded 30 TD's only 3 times and threw less than 12 in 6 seasons (half of his career) averaged 17 per season. Basically, Take Favre's career totals, divide them in HALF, subtract a bit more and you have Warner.

He's spent a good chunk of his career as a backup and backups don't belong in the hall.

I will miss the Warner Whine though.

Joemailman
01-28-2010, 04:15 PM
I could have told you that after that hit he took in the Saints game.

Hall of Famer IMO

I don't understand the HOF idea. The guy had 6 outstanding seasons and 6 seasons in which he was a part time player. He ranks #26 in both passing yards and TD passes despite playing in a pass happy era. Very good player, but not one of the all-time greats.

red
01-28-2010, 05:02 PM
he's currently my favorite ex-packer qb

tough call on the HOF, his good years were great. but there was only a handful of those

this should be a good gauge for c-wood. if warner and all his injury plagued seasons gets in, then c-wood should get in for sure with more great seasons and a little less injury plagued seasons

he also didn't get into the nfl until he was like 28 or so, he got a very late start. so he missed 4 or 5 years

Pugger
01-29-2010, 07:56 AM
His MVPs, twice an All-Pro and Super Bowl champ and MVP should be enough to warrant his inclusion in the HOF.

ThunderDan
01-29-2010, 10:40 AM
His MVPs, twice an All-Pro and Super Bowl champ and MVP should be enough to warrant his inclusion in the HOF.

I have to disagree. While his STL numbers were great both Trent Green before and Mark Bulger after put up similar numbers as Kurt Warner did running the Greatest Show On Turf. Warner only had 1 year at STL that was significantly better than Green and Bulger's numbers.

To me that screams its the system and not the QB.

gbgary
01-29-2010, 11:10 AM

I have to disagree. While his STL numbers were great both Trent Green before and Mark Bulger after put up similar numbers as Kurt Warner did running the Greatest Show On Turf. Warner only had 1 year at STL that was significantly better than Green and Bulger's numbers.

but everyone's basically running the same systems, for the last twenty years, so it's apples to apples.

ThunderDan
01-29-2010, 01:52 PM

but everyone's basically running the same systems, for the last twenty years, so it's apples to apples.

Exactly and the QB before Warner and the QB after Warner were able to put up similar numbers. So do you consider Trent Green and Mark Bulger for HOF?

red
01-29-2010, 02:04 PM
well its official, he's retired

OMG, he just flat out came out and said it

no drama what-so-ever. now there's a man that knows how to retire

but now he's preaching to us, go to hell kurt

red
01-29-2010, 02:08 PM

Exactly and the QB before Warner and the QB after Warner were able to put up similar numbers. So do you consider Trent Green and Mark Bulger for HOF?

the guys before (majikbefore injuries) and after(a-rod) favre were also able to put up similar numbers. is favre not a HOFer?

ThunderDan
01-29-2010, 03:05 PM

the guys before (majikbefore injuries) and after(a-rod) favre were also able to put up similar numbers. is favre not a HOFer?

Did Warner put up those numbers for 90% of his career or 50% of his career? To be a top QB for 15 years in the NFL is amazing (1995-2009).

I think that your point moves more to that football really is a team sport and that the QB gets the praise but maybe it needs to be more evenly distributed.

You look at guys like Flacco, Ryan, Rothlesberger and E Manning who are heeped great amount of praise but really hadn't done much in their careers when the were named Superstars or the next Superstars to be. E. Mannings and especially Rithlesverger's play this year makes we appreciate more of their talent than in previous years where their offenses were more run dominant.

sheepshead
01-29-2010, 03:10 PM
Chili just saved Warners cell phone number

HarveyWallbangers
01-29-2010, 03:48 PM

Did Green and Bulger lead the Rams to two Super Bowl appearances? What has Warner done compared to Matt Leinart when he's started for the Cards? To me, Warner wasn't a Hall of Famer until these last few years in Arizona. Gotta give the guy credit. He had some great years (several MVP caliber years), and he was very good in the playoffs. I think he deserves to be in the Hall of Fame. Not as a first ballot Hall of Famer though.

Fosco33
01-29-2010, 05:18 PM
well its official, he's retired

OMG, he just flat out came out and said it

no drama what-so-ever. now there's a man that knows how to retire

but now he's preaching to us, go to hell kurt

Wasn't he on the Packers for a preseason? I remember seeing a pic with him and Favre/Brunnell. Quite the cast of NFL QBs and future head coaches on our team (Mooch, Chucky, etc.).

digitaldean
01-29-2010, 07:25 PM
Unless Leinart has a sudden awakening at QB, expect the Cards to slip a lot offensively.

Leinart has done absolutely nothing to make opposing defenses shudder. Might mean an opportunity for SF if they can get their offense straightened out.